Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,839 members, 7,831,721 topics. Date: Saturday, 18 May 2024 at 03:58 AM

Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace (12433 Views)

Poll: Do you like AGBADA dress code for International gathering?

YES, I DO: 52% (58 votes)
NO, NOT AT ALL: 19% (21 votes)
IT IS BASED ON ONE'S DESIRE: 28% (31 votes)
This poll has ended

Is Senator Bala Ibn'Nallah's Dress Code To An Event Right? (pics) / Nigeria Is Bigger Than Any Politicians / Its A Disgrace For Neighbours To Join Boko Haram Fight - Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by McKren(m): 2:42pm On Jun 13, 2007
angel 101

I have read your two posts on this issue, I beg to suggest that I am not clear your stance on this issue.
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by angel101(f): 1:08pm On Jun 15, 2007
McKren:

angel 101

I have read your two posts on this issue, I beg to suggest that I am not clear your stance on this issue.

my stand is that our traditional attire should not be shunned. it is very clear from my posts. my last post was addressing someone else's
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by NiteAngel(m): 10:20pm On Jun 15, 2007
Rowlandwhy, if indeed you are a Nigerian then I pity your situation. What is the beauty in having to knot a tie forcing your gogogongo to undergo undue stress and wear tontirin trousers that gives your kini hassles. I'd rather enact a law to compel all leaders to wear traditional attires especially when in official functions and also a law compelling them to send their young children to Nigerian schools and receive medical attention in Nigeria. That way our economy will receive a boost.

With the ban on clothe/material importation we have seen a boost in our ideas and by implication our clothing industry.

Wake up man; today you need an identity to survive.
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by Tornadoz(m): 1:36pm On Jun 16, 2007
Why not stop market women from wearing bubba and wrapper as well. Lets all kit up, the American way. Let me dust my suit.
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by rowlandwhy: 4:30pm On Jun 16, 2007
Nite Angel:

Rowlandwhy, if indeed you are a Nigerian then I pity your situation. What is the beauty in having to knot a tie forcing your gogogongo to undergo undue stress and wear tontirin trousers that gives your kini hassles. I'd rather enact a law to compel all leaders to wear traditional attires especially when in official functions and also a law compelling them to send their young children to Nigerian schools and receive medical attention in Nigeria. That way our economy will receive a boost.

With the ban on clothe/material importation we have seen a boost in our ideas and by implication our clothing industry.

Wake up man; today you need an identity to survive.

I know u are the type that doesnt do without english wears or make ups.
the emptiest vessel makes the loudest noise.
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by MILITIA(f): 4:45pm On Jun 16, 2007
@Nite Angel and angel101

Do not mind these "African Romans" jare!  Have you seen these our African brodas in suits?  Quite a joke!  With their pot bellies and fat arses causing the "trosis" them to have hiccups around the "private area"!  Sorry brodas, most of us do not look good in these western attires.  They are not comfortable in our climate and it looks disgusting! Most of brodas look like "haunting dogs" or "Michelin men in suits!  Monkey suits for that matter---hammered by one "sura the the tailor" not even the real thing! 

GOOOOOOOGOO Y'ardua! Please knock em dead!  Who cares what the oyinbo man thinks? cool  When they come to Nigeria, do they wear our 'agbada'?  Again only to make show like "Bill Uche Lanre Musa Clinton" did when he visited!  Why did your Queen of England, timber-legged Mama charlie- Queen Eliza not tire buba and iro bub she visited?  When you are in Rome do as the Romans do ko! Now you want to quote cliches? Oh please!
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by rowlandwhy: 4:48pm On Jun 16, 2007
All those who said that white agbada is good for our Leaders in interanational gatherings.
Pray that your skin should not peel off anyday any of you put on English dresses ooo
LOL grin grin
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by MILITIA(f): 4:56pm On Jun 16, 2007
@rowlandwhy

We know!  There is a time and place for every thing!  By the way, we have different materials for every weather type in Nigeria and to be used abroad too!  From light to thick, name it.  So use what you feel is comfortable for whatever climate period!  People like you will wear 'ankara' material in Heathrow airport in the middle of January!  How won't your "little Johnny" freeze? shocked I believe in variety, but I prefer our Nigerian African attires any day. 

Our ladies look so. so, so, sexy in them!  Our men almost look like hunks in traditional attires.  cheesy Just check out our own Y'ardua in his blazing white! When our men wear suits, most of them just look plainly ridiculous! angry  You cannot wear a suit when you are "gait challenged" or your sense of balance is disproportional to whatever gravitational forces are exerted upon your individual frameworkl!  Most Africans are!  Dey waka like "chaka the Zulu" come go wear suit! shocked
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by naijaway(m): 5:04pm On Jun 16, 2007
Nobody says suit is not good but agbada either is not bad. Obsanjo have succeeded in giving us pride in our native. Imagine any western president attending a African union meeting anywhere in Africa and wearing traditional attire.
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by MILITIA(f): 5:07pm On Jun 16, 2007
@naijaway

Sorry brov!  It is a matter of choice, self esteem and what you feel comfortable with!  Whatever anyone else thinks is secondary as long as you feel good and it is not against any organization's dress code or laws.  If there are strict dress codes, fine!  If not, please have pride in your own! wink Customize it to make it suit whatever occasion you are attending!
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by naijaway(m): 5:39pm On Jun 16, 2007
dats exactly wat am saying.
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by denex: 6:22pm On Jun 16, 2007
I've been cautious for when the colonists will come for second slavery, I didn't know that in our own backyard, rowlandwhy has already mobilized the M.A.S.S ( Movement for Actualization of Second Slavery)

there is even someone saying that he will make laws banning traditional outfit for formal use. Then you will put about 2 million tailors out of work abi? Then there'll be mass import of suits from Europe. I hope you're beginning to see how Obasanjo thinks.

Why don't you just totally ban Nigerian names. Afterall, English names are now widely used even in China.

Then after that, ban traditional foods. Only Spaghetti Bolognese will be served during formal occassions.

I think it is even high time the government goes on a massive decolonization program.

Why rowland? In a country where temperatures can linger around 104 degrees Fahrenheit, they should wear suits? Rowland, You're not born again!
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by rowlandwhy: 6:40pm On Jun 16, 2007
denex:

rowlandwhy has already mobilized the M.A.S.S ( Movement for Actualization of Second Slavery)

Mind you, i am not mobilizing or forming any MASS whatever as u may forge and quote, your are O.Y.O, it was just my opinion for our leaders dressing fine in international gatherings

denex:

there is even someone saying that he will make laws banning traditional outfit for formal use. Then you will put about 2 million tailors out of work abi? Then there'll be mass import of suits from Europe. I hope you're beginning to see how Obasanjo thinks.

I thik you are talking of out sense as nobody have mention this on this thread, maybe u misunderstood the topic. and u are among those whose skin will peel when they wear suit.

denex:

Why don't you just totally ban Nigerian names. Afterall, English names are now widely used even in China.

Then after that, ban traditional foods. Only Spaghetti Bolognese will be served during formal occassions.

Na crazy dey worry u, becuase this is out of the question.

denex:

Why rowland? In a country where temperatures can linger around 104 degrees Fahrenheit, they should wear suits? Rowland, You're not born again!
I think i don't owe any body apology and these does not have anything to do with being born again.
it is my opinion.
Right! Twart
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by denex: 7:11pm On Jun 16, 2007
You just said that you were only making a suggestion so that our leaders would dress fine on formal occassions. Would that not mean that right now they are dressing ugly?

This what the Movement for Actualization of Second Slavery is all about a gradual mental picture that the things of your colonial slave masters are fine, and yours are ugly. That theirs is good and yours is bad. That is how MASS works. It is not a physical movement, it is mental. But we're going to crush it all the same.

And I dare say one member of MASS going by the name of watchung said if he/she were in charge, every government worker will be mandated to wear a suit.
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by NiteAngel(m): 8:28pm On Jun 16, 2007
Rowlandwhy, point of correction; males (like you) who find time to make up, wear English costumes and make noise are simply defined as clowns! Arunruala!
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by superman(m): 11:49pm On Jun 16, 2007
oh god for how long will some nigerians live blindly oh god , this superman calling

k

number one: afraican leaders should wear and stick to their african attire !thats what makes u african for god sake ! nonesense

2 this superman simply cannot wait to see Tony Blair in african attire!lets see how that goes down over here

hey i guess u can wear what makes u comfortable

foolish nigerians contaminated with slavery mentality aftermath ha

i rest my case
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by watchung: 5:11am On Jun 18, 2007
Goodness! what has slavery mentality got to do with suggesting atire to wear. We do have a lot of illiterates and non reasoning people making ridiculous analogies even talking about market women changing their dressing. Goodness rowland is talking about an international function he's making a suggestion and you guys are all trying to hang the dude aven going as far as evoking slavery yet some of you actually live in the West. I wonder whether u wear ur Iro and bubba to work.
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by rowlandwhy: 8:17am On Jun 18, 2007
Watchung my dear,
Dont mind them,
i wonder what their behaviour would be in the West,
Are they not one of those that blackmails Nigeria there?
NA wa o!!
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by superman(m): 11:15pm On Jun 18, 2007
stupidity got a sorts of shape!

goodness gracious
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by rowlandwhy: 10:05am On Jul 06, 2007
All,
Lets re-activate this thread.
We wish to tell u all that Yaradua have approved AGBAJA dress in all official functions in Nigeria
Hehheee
what a good news grin grin cheesy cheesy :PLOL
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by laudate: 1:42pm On Jul 06, 2007
God bless Yar'adua for making our traditional outfits like agbada, 'babariga' etc. the norm for official engagements, jare. At least, more of our tailors will make money. More ankara, guinea brocade, akwete, akwa ocha etc. will be sold. And maybe some of our textile companies will wake up from their slumber.

More grease to your 'fashionable' elbows, UMYA! wink
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by naijaking1: 7:29pm On Jul 07, 2007
Anthroplogically, a people's dressing regimen or attire reflects both the influences of the environment and their means of livelihood, ie ways of getting food.

People who live in cold regions tend to develop elaborate head and ear covers, in addition to some form of heat retaining wears.

For people who live in the tropics like naija people, their dress regimen are different variations of loose attire that will easily dissipate heat.

Babariga and other so-called naija wears are nothing but air-circulating, and heat dissipating fans designed in form of a dress. Just look at the traditional Igbo, Ijaw, Efik, Yoruba, Tiv, Hausa, Fulani, and other wears. They all obey the same law as stated above.

Conformitty with the environmental and occupational tasks also explains the unique appearance of attires from other nations.

As someone said earlier every culture has it's own traditional dress, and the question is why do we behave as if we are the only ones with a traditional form of dressing.

Now we go to the second determinant of attire: occupation.

A specific mode of dressing has been ascertained as being most suitable while engaged in certain occupations.

So the fisherman has a unique work dressing, so does the hunter, and the farmer too.

The banker, diplomat, physician, lawyer all have their professional or work related attires.

These attires enhance productivity, and not related to national pride or any thing like that.

Even footballers have a specific performance-enhancing dress code. You could play soccer with babariga or caftan but you probably would not be as effective as someone with a jersey and shorts.

Also, if you are among the 10 people invited for an interview out of a total of 1000 applicants, and you wake up that morning and decide to show your national pride by wearing a traditional dress, I say good for you.

You would probably be asked more questions about your dress than about your ability to perform that job, which means you will probably be looking for another job soon.

I have no problems seeing our president in a traditional dress at international conferences, I'm proud of that, but I hope that he wore it to the ceremonial part of the conference, and not to the business partions of these conferences, otherwise he runs the risk of diverting attention from his goal to his dress.

Can you imagine what a confusion if he attends a 'black-tie only' in a party in a babriga? I don't think our various traditional dress ought to be worn inappropriately by anybody including the president.
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by rowlandwhy: 7:39pm On Jul 07, 2007
Thnks for your contribution
naijaking1:

I have no problems seeing our president in a traditional dress at international conferences, I'm proud of that, but I hope that he wore it to the ceremonial part of the conference, and not to the business partions of these conferences, otherwise he runs the risk of diverting attention from his goal to his dress.

Can you imagine what a confusion if he attends a 'black-tie only' in a party in a babriga? I don't think our various traditional dress ought to be worn inappropriately by anybody including the president.

, Now what is the conclusion of your matter?
seems u are not specific in the concluding part
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by adconline(m): 9:34pm On Jul 07, 2007
Have u ever seen Nelson Mandela in a suit? He always wears this traditional S/African clothe that looks good on him. Maybe we also need to tell Arabian kings and princes to change their way of dressing.
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by naijaking1: 9:58pm On Jul 07, 2007
@rowlandwhy

my conclusion: appropriate dress for the appropriate occasion
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by superman(m): 12:45am On Jul 08, 2007
stupidity comes in different shapes!

chose ur style

yeye
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by denex: 9:01am On Jul 08, 2007
Obasanjo wore traditional clothing to all formal international meetings he attended. And almost everywhere he went, world leaders agreed with him. It's a matter of style. Can you imagine how clownish OBJ would have looked in suit? How would he have discussed reasonable deals with China if they had been giggling about his appearance all through the meeting?

I would love to see Yar'Adua in a suit at least once in a year. He'd look so good and people will be excited to see him looking different.

I used to know a really beautiful girl once in school. But after like 3 months, guys started to realise she only wore trousers and we began to suspect that she had really ugly legs. Well, one day she showed up in a mini-skirt and blew us all away. That's what I see as style.

So Yar'Adua shouldn't necessarily give up the suit option totally. It'll really look good on him. Afterall, I've seen him in a T-shirt and shorts.
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by angel101(f): 10:27am On Jul 11, 2007
denex:

Can you imagine how clownish OBJ would have looked in suit? How would he have discussed reasonable deals with China if they had been giggling about his appearance all through the meeting?

I cant stop laughing! cheesy

@naijaking1
how would babanriga prevent our leaders from performing in a conference? or what do u think they do in these conferences?
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by naijaking1: 10:46am On Jul 11, 2007
@angel101

My position is unchanged, depending on the situation, your beautiful babariga could be a distraction when you have a very ltd opportunity to make a quick impression fast.

Ask any psychologist, the first 30 seconds of any meeting or interview is probably the most important.

So if our leader goes to a World meeting to talk about- say HIV, and for 5 minutes only.

If he appears on feathers, bells, and glitter his appearance would consume the attention of the audience most of the 5 five minutes, but if he appears in a conventional attire like others at the meeting, people are more likely to hear his message about HIV instead of focusing on his attire.
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by Ena345(f): 10:56am On Jul 11, 2007
dressing is a form of identity. its not just meant to cover our nudity. That being the case, when i dress, i should be placed somewhere. objectivity says if u need to be smart then be smartly dressed but if u need to be identified, be urself. I have a foreign name, ENA but i stopped answring it cos i rili did not have any need for it, anymore. My native name is beautiful and no less inferior to their names. same goes for our outfit. as far the ferson putting it on is not complainig, if the person is comfortable, then there's nothing to it. Take another instance, I think the hausa man will always find his grtst comfort on his mat. As they sit, with their legs folded; they yoruba who porstrates 20 times a day, the urhobo woman who tied her wrapped twenty five times a day. we all will always do this cos its our identity. it is what makes us beatiful so, keep wearing, keep moving cos we are beautiful people
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by angel101(f): 11:18am On Jul 11, 2007
@naijaking1
our attire does not have to be ridiculous now. I would say native attire in subtle colours and styles/designs
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by denex: 11:20am On Jul 11, 2007
We are not saying that Mikel Obi should start wearing caftan to play national games.

We are not asking for Engineers to wear Aso-Oke while drilling for oil.

Abi have you seen a European wearing a suit at the beach? Have you seen US soldiers wearing jeans and T-shirts in Iraq?

What we are saying is that we should dress appropriately. Babanriga is adequate and very comfortable for meetings.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

What Was Budgeted By Lagos For Feeding In 2013? / DHQ Debunks Rumour That It Is Not Commissioning Females As Combat Officers. / Okorocha: I Have Retired Old Politicians In Imo So Young People Can Take Over

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.