Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,128 members, 7,811,191 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:45 AM

Na Wa For Naija Imagine Lamido’s Facebook Critic Remanded In Prison - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Na Wa For Naija Imagine Lamido’s Facebook Critic Remanded In Prison (7961 Views)

I Know What I’m Doing, Buhari Tells Critic, Dele Momodu / Tonye Okio Has Been Arrested (President Jonathan’s Critic) / Ex- IGP Ehindero Remanded In Prison For Theft. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Na Wa For Naija Imagine Lamido’s Facebook Critic Remanded In Prison by Claus(m): 4:27pm On Feb 01, 2011
Beaf:

My point has never been that the man should have been arrested, it has always been that the very same laws that govern us on the street also govern us on the Internet. Unfortunately, most people think the Internet is anonymous, therefore anything goes.
Mukhtari Ibrahim Aminu doesn't need to be told this anymore, he is now realising first hand, a few more like him will sanitise the way we Nigerians use the web; its just horrible.

You have delved into some detail about the validity of the punishments for the examples I sited, but the fact is we do not know Mukhtari Ibrahim Aminu's exact words and why they caused so much consternation; therefore, how can you conclude the his being hauled before the law is not valid? Lamido's being a governor cannot make Aminu any less guilty if he committed a jailable offense.

You're right that we don't know his exact words. We can only go by what we've seen in the report which indicated that he insulted the governor.

I didn't conclude that him being hauled before the law was not valid. I only tried to point out, as a couple of others have done, that the nature of the "haulage" should have been civil not criminal, based on the report saying he insulted the governor.

I don't disagree with a lot of what you write, he should certainly be jailed if he committed a jailable offence etc. Libel, stalking, harrasment etc should be dealt with according to the law, whether online or not.

The main difference we have is that, perhaps because I am aware of the heavy-handed nature of Nigerian big-men, I am more biased towards the underdog whose rights are unikely to be respected.
Re: Na Wa For Naija Imagine Lamido’s Facebook Critic Remanded In Prison by shadrach77: 4:28pm On Feb 01, 2011
how can this incident happen on the 19th of February, 2011 when today is 1st of February? someone is telling some cock and bull here! grin
Re: Na Wa For Naija Imagine Lamido’s Facebook Critic Remanded In Prison by cpatra(f): 4:30pm On Feb 01, 2011
If talking on facebook would get me arrested, I better stick to Nairaland. Lol
Re: Na Wa For Naija Imagine Lamido’s Facebook Critic Remanded In Prison by manny4life(m): 4:30pm On Feb 01, 2011
There is freedom of speech, and there is a line when you cross that line. If he posted on his face book page how terrible the man was, yeah he was exercising his freedom of speech. He crossed the line when he sent him a text via face book, that’s a NO NO.  Abuse through whatever form, technology included isn’t acceptable; face book is not exception, and that’s how he got roped in. I am an advocate of rights and freedoms of people; to exercise them when they chose, not cross the boundary line.  However, this is supposed to be a civil procedure, not criminal. He hadn't committed any criminal act that is justifiable for his punishment. We need human rights reforms in Nigeria because a lot of this mofos in power tend to abuse them.
Re: Na Wa For Naija Imagine Lamido’s Facebook Critic Remanded In Prison by Nobody: 4:32pm On Feb 01, 2011
Mighty be the only way  the man could reach the  governor.
Re: Na Wa For Naija Imagine Lamido’s Facebook Critic Remanded In Prison by Goldenmeda(m): 4:36pm On Feb 01, 2011
dis is absolutely pala pala,
Re: Na Wa For Naija Imagine Lamido’s Facebook Critic Remanded In Prison by udezue(m): 4:53pm On Feb 01, 2011
@BEAF

I hope the next time you open your mouth and say something negative about a Nigerian politician you get thrown into the next jail, preferably Kirikiri prison and locked away to rot. You must have lost all your senses. Please when you find them holla back.

To even say the crazy power drunk governor is on the same level with Fashola in terms of performing miracles is laughable and a big disgrace. Dude I've admired your sense of reasoning on NL until today. You have shown a certain Nigerian trait that I detest passionately. Even Pope John Paul has been criticized by people yet Vatican has never issued arrests. Even Gov. Lamido is Jesus Christ himself he is not above any criticism and as long as the defendant was not threatening his life he has no right to use the police force to intimidate the young man. Instead of fighting crimes our police are being used to intimidate people. The governor should have went ahead to prove the man wrong by continuing to perform well and show transparency. I am sure people will see things for themselves. What happened to filing civil lawsuits though I still wont agree with that but atleast that is far more humane and sensible than arresting someone. If Obama and American officials were to reason like animals the way many Nigerian leaders do everyone will be in jail by now.
Freedom of speech please. This democracy (I guess Democrazy in Naija) so if you can't stand the heat then dont run for office.
Re: Na Wa For Naija Imagine Lamido’s Facebook Critic Remanded In Prison by norrisman: 4:54pm On Feb 01, 2011
@ Beaf

All your examples dont back up your argument. Like it has been said, Slander is a civil matter. The UK case that you cite about a boy banned from the US for life is also not correct. The police took action because of threatning contents of the boys email and not because he called Obama a punk!
Re: Na Wa For Naija Imagine Lamido’s Facebook Critic Remanded In Prison by Nobody: 4:58pm On Feb 01, 2011
sanusi lamido should have had several nairalanders and newspapers arrested, instead, he focused on his job. nuff said

all this stalking noise etal

the governor is a public figure

if he cannot stand the heat he should get the fk out of the kitchen

what nonsense
Re: Na Wa For Naija Imagine Lamido’s Facebook Critic Remanded In Prison by Nobody: 5:00pm On Feb 01, 2011
The duties of the Police is not to always arrest! . . . .damn!  . . . . Nigerians!

what you do in a case of slander is to establish a civil action through your legal representatives in a court of law through a written petition.  The court then issues a summon to whatever party is involved to defend the claims of petition made against him.

In this case, the governor abused his office by  using the police force to intimidate the dude.  I suspect the dude, not knowing much about the laws of the federation and being unable to hire a lawyer is charged under a penal code that will ensure  that the Judge sees enough reason to remand him in prison.  And here is the catch, the guy's case might just be forgotten for another 8 years.  So much for insulting the governor.

and painfully, Nairalanders feel this is right, damn!

Why are making so much fuss, the man's case might be weighty leading to his arrest and the order to be remanded in prison, we all are not so sure of what he posted while insulting the governor who knows if he threatened the governor, would the judge had ordered he be remanded in prison custody if there wasn't enough evidence for backing that order.
Re: Na Wa For Naija Imagine Lamido’s Facebook Critic Remanded In Prison by chigo4u: 5:01pm On Feb 01, 2011
I dey laugh.

But then instead of blaming the governor who has lost it I rather blame the judge who has become a willing tool to perpetuate evil. This kind of case should be dismissed on arrival. The accused is just execising his freedom of speech (freedom of writing, even on a lower form). someone has a facebook page and decides to air his thoughts and he his jailed for that. smh. where does that happen. Is this not democracy? The governor should realize that their is still opposition, perhaps if the acused were to be a governorship aspirant or having some money to spill, nobody will be saying this. I believe whatever the guy has said cannot be compared a bit to what the oppostion will be saying in his state about him. I mean, am not from edo state but just this morning on AIT one man came on to say all sorts of things against oshiomole and he must have forgotten he even went to a TV station this morning. Thats why they say the world is for the rich. so everybdoy get your money up. The country Nigeria is appaling and yet they dont want anyone to talk? I expect Nigerian great minds to go after this case.
2 cents
Re: Na Wa For Naija Imagine Lamido’s Facebook Critic Remanded In Prison by violent(m): 5:07pm On Feb 01, 2011
babasoty:

Why are making so much fuss, the man's case might be weighty leading to his arrest and the order to be remanded in prison, we all are not so sure of what he posted while insulting the governor who knows if he threatened the governor, would the judge had ordered he be remanded in prison custody if there wasn't enough evidence for backing that order.

read this again

Mukhtari Ibrahim Aminu, the man arrested and arraigned before a Magistrate Court in Dutse for [size=13pt]allegedly insulting[/size] Governor Sule Lamido of Jigawa State on Facebook has been remanded in prison till February, 7, 2011.

The prosecution counsel, SP Peter Amedi, told the court that the accused person had on February 19, 2011 posted an abusive text message insulting Governor Sule Lamido on his facebook page, [size=13pt]hence, defamed the character[/size] of the governor

There is no where in the article where the prosecution counsel had mentioned that the accused person had threatened the governor, the dude is simply being punished for insulting the power drunk Governor!
Re: Na Wa For Naija Imagine Lamido’s Facebook Critic Remanded In Prison by earthrealm(m): 5:09pm On Feb 01, 2011
clowns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tongue tongue tongue
Re: Na Wa For Naija Imagine Lamido’s Facebook Critic Remanded In Prison by udezue(m): 5:12pm On Feb 01, 2011
chigo4u:

I dey laugh.

But then instead of blaming the governor who has lost it I rather blame the judge who has become a willing tool to perpetuate evil. This kind of case should be dismissed on arrival. The accused is just execising his freedom of speech (freedom of writing, even on a lower form). someone has a facebook page and decides to air his thoughts and he his jailed for that. smh. where does that happen. Is this not democracy? The governor should realize that their is still opposition, perhaps if the acused were to be a governorship aspirant or having some money to spill, nobody will be saying this. I believe whatever the guy has said cannot be compared a bit to what the oppostion will be saying in his state about him. I mean, am not from edo state but just this morning on AIT one man came on to say all sorts of things against oshiomole and he must have forgotten he even went to a TV station this morning. Thats why they say the world is for the rich. so everybdoy get your money up. The country Nigeria is appaling and yet they dont want anyone to talk? I expect Nigerian great minds to go after this case.
2 cents

sconded
Re: Na Wa For Naija Imagine Lamido’s Facebook Critic Remanded In Prison by violent(m): 5:13pm On Feb 01, 2011
In another development, the state Commissioner for Justice Barrister Tijjani Inuwa Dutse has applied to take over the case from the police. Standing before the court for the Attorney General, Barrister Muhammad Lamin told the court that the Justice Commissioner was empowered by section 211 of the Nigerian Constitution to take over any case from anybody and or stop it entirely.

This makes it all the more revealing!

The commisioner for Justice is employed by the state governor, and yet no one is smelling a rat still.
I fear once the commissioner is granted the authority over the case, the dude's file will probably be thrown somewhere in the back shelf, never to be seen again. . . and the dude will await trial till thy kingdom come.

So much for freedom in one's country, i can't even insult a daft Governor. . . shior!
Re: Na Wa For Naija Imagine Lamido’s Facebook Critic Remanded In Prison by 1025: 5:15pm On Feb 01, 2011
Some people are really daft and don't realise that the exact same laws they are subject to on the streets govern the web as well. A Nigerian that supports child marriages or sodomy on the net can be jailed. If anyone threatens another on the web, the victim can seek legal action.

Many have been jailed, because they foolishly believe they can't be traced. People, except you are a clued up hacker, you can be traced very easily (sometimes to whithin a few metres of where you stand or to your exact street number). Information Technology is a frightful thing if you know how things work.

@beaf,
in ur quest to display knowledge, u end up showing a high level of imbecility. why going on net if u don't want to be abused. to whom much is given, much is expected. these things work where there is equality before the law. how can a poor man face a gov of a state in the law court where the chief judge is appointed by the same gov.
in his oath of office, how many of the things he swore to do is he living up to and how many ppl have taken him to court.
in that case, tell jonathan to come arrest all of us because we don't like him.
in a democratic setting, oposition is allowed and is legal.
if u know the website of that gov, give it to me and i will tell him thing the guy in question did not tell him.
as long as the govt is ready to house all of us as prisoners, i think 70% of nigerians will be better off under the govt's care. imagine those of us who struglle to pay house rent, feed and then tax, we will manage the prison yards where all these wories will be far from us.
if u like take it or leave it, our so-called leaders are nothing less than devils whose missions in our country is to steal, kill and destroy. that is why we are suffering like peasants in a very rich country like ours.
if the gov likes, let him kill the guy but the truth of the matter is that ppl don't just earn respect, they work for it. ppl can only fear u but no way for respect.
shame to him and other high handed imbeciles like him.
can u slap a child and tell him not to cry? let them continue beating us but that our rights to cry must not be denied.
look at egypt and tunisia, the ppl are protesting and u know what that means. when u protest against anyone, u can insult his mother and father without fear or favour so who the hell is the foolish gov?
can u swear for that gov that he has not been stealing from the state's funds? if he has, he is aTHIEF AND A PUBLIC ONE FOR THAT MATTER.
Re: Na Wa For Naija Imagine Lamido’s Facebook Critic Remanded In Prison by anonimi: 5:16pm On Feb 01, 2011
Chase the Hooligans-in-Power (HiPs) out and vote in better candidates.

Remember to RSVP -

Register;
Select and sponsor(your candidates);
Vote;
Protect your votes;

Let this be our motto for this election period.
Copy and text the motto to as many as possible on your GSM (and/or email) and several times during the voter registration period.
One Man, One Vote!!!
Re: Na Wa For Naija Imagine Lamido’s Facebook Critic Remanded In Prison by Shock(m): 5:22pm On Feb 01, 2011
@1025

I was one of those who held Beaf's postings in high regard, now, I am thinking to myself if i had been drunk the whole time
Re: Na Wa For Naija Imagine Lamido’s Facebook Critic Remanded In Prison by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:29pm On Feb 01, 2011
RUBBISH, in which court do you want to secure a conviction against this fellow?

what is going to be presented in evidence? printout of the facebook page? in nigeria? have you people ever heard of the issues we have under our law of evidence with computer generated evidence?

plus how, if ever, are you going to link this fellow to posting that thing? . . . . . . . off the top of my head, i can think of many more ways to rubbish the so-called trial

#justsaying. nigga needs to get a decent lawyer.

foolish police prosecutors and attorney generals. if only they could quit licking the gov's balls long enough to tell him to get a life and understand/accept criticism.
Re: Na Wa For Naija Imagine Lamido’s Facebook Critic Remanded In Prison by eldee(m): 5:37pm On Feb 01, 2011
There is this lil thing called freedom of expression. . . I don't know if it's in the Nigerian constitution or not.
It's the bedrock of any democracy . . .
You can't arrest someone for 'insulting' you on Facebook, that's just silly.

Even if you're going by assault there has to be the objective test of whether Lamido thinks the threat will be carried out.
This is pure bullying . . . they'll probably start arresting people on Nairaland for insulting GEJ.
Re: Na Wa For Naija Imagine Lamido’s Facebook Critic Remanded In Prison by violent(m): 5:43pm On Feb 01, 2011
RUBBISH, in which court do you want to secure a conviction against this fellow?

what is going to be presented in evidence? printout of the facebook page? in nigeria? have you people ever heard of the issues we have under our law of evidence with computer generated evidence?

I don't think the case is ever going to get to trial. It's however, very likely that the guy is remanded in prison awaiting trial for another 7 years.
Re: Na Wa For Naija Imagine Lamido’s Facebook Critic Remanded In Prison by tlops(m): 5:44pm On Feb 01, 2011
wow he should have known that fb should be used wt discretion! it happens all over the world. A murder suspect was apprehended because of his fb update
Re: Na Wa For Naija Imagine Lamido’s Facebook Critic Remanded In Prison by udezue(m): 5:48pm On Feb 01, 2011
Shock:

@1025

I was one of those who held Beaf's postings in high regard, now, I am thinking to myself if i had been drunk the whole time

Seriously. The guy has lost it.
Re: Na Wa For Naija Imagine Lamido’s Facebook Critic Remanded In Prison by freegaza(m): 5:51pm On Feb 01, 2011
Why is this man bragging?
Monday, 24 January 2011 00:00 Mahmud Jega mmjega@dailytrust.com, 08054102925
E-mail Print PDF

If Nigeria’s democracy were working normally after nearly 12 years’ trial, Jigawa State governor Alhaji Sule Lamido ought to be in hiding last week. What with the spontaneous outpouring of the Jigawa people’s anger at what they saw as the “betrayal” by Lamido and the state’s delegates at the PDP national convention in Abuja ten days ago.

Normally, was what I said. But then, things are hardly normal here. On Thursday last week, the man who should be in hiding instead came out charging. Speaking at a PDP stakeholders’ meeting in Dutse, allegedly to thank party members for the successful conduct of primary elections, Lamido dared anyone to challenge him in the April elections.

And what was the reason for this man’s supreme confidence? He said, “I have prayed extensively before I decided to contest for the second term. Therefore I am not afraid of any politician that may confront me in the race.” Obviously this is not a good reason, because in Jigawa State alone, millions of people say their prayers at least five times every day, and there must be at least a dozen other people in Jigawa who pray to God for success in governorship elections. None of them came out however to dare other people to challenge them at the polls.

Maybe it is not surprising that Malam Sule thought he had a blank cheque from the Almighty, because his latter-day political patron, General Obasanjo, said the same thing in 2006, not long after his Third Term ambition collapsed. He said God gives him everything he asks for and that if he really wanted a Third Term, he would have asked God for it and God would have given it to him.

Malam Sule did give other reasons for his overconfidence. He said, “God knows best what we did in the last four years and what we will do in the future.” I have no doubt that God knows best, but you see, since you were elected into office by people, they also should better know what you did in the last four years. It is not enough to call God as witness. If there are many new roads and schools to be seen in Jigawa, the people too should be able see them.

I refer in this regard to the interesting answer that our ace Monsignor Kukah gave to my friend Idang Alibi last year, about the place of prayer in the electoral process. He said, essentially, that elections and politics as a whole are governed by man-made rules, and while it is important to pray, it is even more important to rise up and play by the man-made rules. A politician cannot sit back and leave matters to God or call Him as his only witness.

Anyway, Malam Sule said last week that “If you have a clean mind in what you are doing, you should not be afraid of anybody.” A clean mind may have nothing to do with it, because a few months ago, Lamido raised hell when EFCC agents landed in Jigawa State just when the Northern Governors Forum was about to vote for zoning in the national equation. That time, he did not leave matters entirely to God, but he raised hell in the media. He also refused to attend some meetings at the State House. Whether as a result of that or not, the EFCC agents backed off.

I personally know that Malam Sule does not always leave matters entirely to God, but mostly acts and fights according to his own human perception. The first time that he shot into the national limelight, at the onset of the PRP crisis in 1981, was when Malam Aminu Kano stopped Governors Mohamed Abubakar Rimi and Abdulkadir Balarabe Musa from attending the Nine Progressive Governors’ meeting with their UPN and GNPP colleagues. Lamido, then a House of Representatives member, appeared on NTA that night. He had a very thick Afro hair, and his long cap perched precariously atop it. He condemned Malam’s order and defended the governors’ action.

Some months later, in the midst of the crisis in Kano when Rimi’s SSG, Malam Sule Yahaya Hammah, issued a query to the great Emir Ado Bayero for travelling out of the state [to nearby Zaria] without permission, Lamido again appeared on telly. Puffing a cigarette, he said, “Ado is a government worker. He needs permission to travel, ”

Nor did Malam Sule leave things entirely to God in 1991 when NEC chairman Professor Humphrey Nwosu appeared on telly and banned him from the Jigawa governorship race. [Atiku Abubakar, incidentally, was banned from the Adamawa race that day].

With only days to go before the elections, Malam Sule schemed within SDP and anointed his maternal nephew Ali Sa’ad Birnin Kudu as his successor. That was how Ali Sa’ad [whose total political experience was losing the National Assembly election in 1983] became Jigawa’s first civilian governor in 1992.

Initially things worked well, because I saw many newspaper pictures of Lamido accompanying his nephew to various events. But since soon soured with the onset of SDP presidential primaries of 1993. Lamido, then Rimi’s right hand man, was a strong supporter of Chief M.K.O. Abiola, while Sa’ad and most of the 14 SDP governors supported Ambassador Babagana Kingibe [allegedly at the behest of the IBB regime]. Things got so bad that when Governor Sa’ad arrived at the SDP’s Jos convention in March 1993, Jigawa delegates booed and jeered at him [at Lamido’s behest, allegedly]. They said he betrayed them. You see, the “B” word was not invented this year!

Anyway, I got to know first-hand that Lamido was not fond of leaving matters to God when I arrived at his office to interview him in November 1993. He was then the SDP’s national secretary. At the time, Lamido as well as SDP’s national chairman Tony Anenih had forsaken June 12 and were ready to punish any party member who stood by it. I sat in Lamido’s office for an hour, waiting for him to grant me an interview for Citizen Magazine. While I waited, he was having a hot exchange with the chairman of Kebbi State’s SDP chapter. Two days earlier, the man had granted an interview to Concord saying Kebbi State SDP stood by June 12. He now came to collect money recently released to the parties by the Federal Government. Lamido shouted and swore and denied him the money.

Later, Malam Sule led me to another room where we had the interview. The top issue of the day was the move to impeach Senate President Iorchia Ayu. When I asked Lamido what the SDP leaders were doing to save their party man, he said he didn’t know about the impeachment moves. The whole interview was such a cat-and-mouse session that my story in Citizen was captioned “Stonewall Sule.”

Anyway, two years later, in 1995, when I was editor of Sentinel magazine, I sent my reporter to Kano to interview Lamido. My reporter came back dazed and confused. He said, “Sir, he did not grant me the interview. When I told him that my editor Mahmud Jega sent me, he abused you and said you are an agent of General Shehu Yar’adua.” God is my witness: I did not take any offence from that.

You see, Malam Sule’s hard charge last week reminded me of the security man at the then University of Sokoto’s Staff Guest House at Runjin Sambo who wrote on the wall with charcoal one evening, “Motsi yafi labewa [motion is better than hiding].” The next day, when his colleague was on duty, he wrote under it, “Idan bakai ake nema ba [if you are not the wanted person].”

Dont expect anything less from this man
Re: Na Wa For Naija Imagine Lamido’s Facebook Critic Remanded In Prison by 1025: 5:59pm On Feb 01, 2011
i have practically challanged all GEJ's posting on his facebook and till now, i have not seen the president's security men arround my house bcs it is possible we (GEJ and i ) do not have the same thinking line.
let everybody watch out for beaf and his postings, he always post out of points.
u can imagine a whole gov in a court with his ward. which gov in nigeria is not recieving insults from his ppl? even the fashola that is doing his best, ppl still say things against him and that is normal bcs making urself a public figure is acceptance to endure anything.
Jesus Christ as a leader passed through all these and upon the kind of powers he had, he never kill the ppl. why will an ordinary lamido take his own ppl to court.
if anyone know his facebook name, let that one post it here so that we can insult him, his mother, his father and his entire generations.
this is exactly the madness with my state gov (imo) who even assulted a revrend father through his convoy. anyways, this is not a surprise package with the kind of lunatics we call leaders.
those who are surposed to be at our various motor parks are now in govt house.
to the lamido of thing, this is the best way to make himself popular.
from the way i talk against jonathan, if it is lamido, even those who read my postings here for don enter inside since. there are ppl u will come across and u will be forced to praise satan. shame to this lamido because even osama bin laden will not be this shameless as to go to court with someone of a lower class.
power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.
Re: Na Wa For Naija Imagine Lamido’s Facebook Critic Remanded In Prison by iyeyemi: 6:12pm On Feb 01, 2011
Maybe i missed it, but nobody's even talking about the section of the penal code he is said to have contravened! On the bare facts, anyone in here who says the man was rightfully arrested for wrongfully exercising his freedom of speech must be a downright retard and all illiterate to boot
Re: Na Wa For Naija Imagine Lamido’s Facebook Critic Remanded In Prison by Shock(m): 6:23pm On Feb 01, 2011

Re: Na Wa For Naija Imagine Lamido’s Facebook Critic Remanded In Prison by Beaf: 6:34pm On Feb 01, 2011
udezue:

@BEAF

I hope the next time you open your mouth and say something negative about a Nigerian politician you get thrown into the next jail, preferably Kirikiri prison and locked away to rot. You must have lost all your senses. Please when you find them holla back.

To even say the crazy power drunk governor is on the same level with Fashola in terms of performing miracles is laughable and a big disgrace. Dude I've admired your sense of reasoning on NL until today. You have shown a certain Nigerian trait that I detest passionately. Even Pope John Paul has been criticized by people yet Vatican has never issued arrests. Even Gov. Lamido is Jesus Christ himself he is not above any criticism and as long as the defendant was not threatening his life he has no right to use the police force to intimidate the young man. Instead of fighting crimes our police are being used to intimidate people. The governor should have went ahead to prove the man wrong by continuing to perform well and show transparency. I am sure people will see things for themselves. What happened to filing civil lawsuits though I still wont agree with that but atleast that is far more humane and sensible than arresting someone. If Obama and American officials were to reason like animals the way many Nigerian leaders do everyone will be in jail by now.
Freedom of speech please. This democracy (I guess Democrazy in Naija) so if you can't stand the heat then dont run for office.

Mr smart, do you even know Mukhtari Ibrahim Aminu's exact words? If you don't then you have wasted your time typing this crap.
There is no reason why the Internet should be a place where manners are lost and there is no law. Thats what my argument is. Should those who defame others on the web go scott free? Defamation is a jailable offence in the real World.

As for personalising it to the times I have spoken harshly about politicians, there is always cast iron backing evidence whether it has been Ibori, Buhari, Atiku, IBB etc, so I fear nothing.
Re: Na Wa For Naija Imagine Lamido’s Facebook Critic Remanded In Prison by Beaf: 6:37pm On Feb 01, 2011
norrisman:

@ Beaf

All your examples dont back up your argument. Like it has been said, Slander is a civil matter. The UK case that you cite about a boy banned from the US for life is also not correct. The police took action because of threatning contents of the boys email and not because he called Obama a punk!

Where in the article does it say the man committed a slanderous offense?
Re: Na Wa For Naija Imagine Lamido’s Facebook Critic Remanded In Prison by Shock(m): 6:39pm On Feb 01, 2011
Should those who defame others on the web go scott free? Defamation is a jailable offence in the real World.

Defamation is NOT a jailable offense, it is only punishable by fine, that's why the dude shouldn't be locked up to begin with.

This should be a civil action not a criminal action.  I wonder where sir Beaf is getting his information from.

FRN vs MR XYZ if found guilty could be a jailable offense.

MR ABC vs MR XYZ if found guilty is a civil offense and punishable by monetary fines.

If Mr XYZ has refuse to pay the fines, then it becomes an offense against the FRN and thus jailable.
Re: Na Wa For Naija Imagine Lamido’s Facebook Critic Remanded In Prison by Beaf: 6:40pm On Feb 01, 2011
Mukhtari Ibrahim Aminu, the man arrested and arraigned before a Magistrate Court in Dutse for allegedly insulting Governor Sule Lamido of Jigawa State on Facebook has been remanded in prison till February, 7, 2011.
The accused person was arrested by the police 10 days ago for allegedly sending an abusive text message against Governor Sule Lamido through his face book page.

In his ruling, the presiding judge, Magistrate Mustapha Saád fixed February 7 for ruling on the bail application filed before the court by the counsel to the accused person, Barrister Adamu Abubakar.  When the case came up yesterday at Dutse Magistrate Court II, the accused person pleaded not guilty after the prosecution counsel, SP Peter Amedi read the First Information Report (FIR) to him and the judge asked him whether he committed the offence or not.

The prosecution counsel, SP Peter Amedi, told the court that the accused person had on February 19, 2011 posted an abusive text message insulting Governor Sule Lamido on his facebook page, hence, [size=14pt]defamed [/size] the character of the governor. SP Amedi told the court that the accused person’s action contravened section 393 of the penal code, therefore leading to his arrest by the police and now arraigned before the court of law for prosecution.

In another development, the state Commissioner for Justice Barrister Tijjani Inuwa Dutse has applied to take over the case from the police. Standing before the court for the Attorney General, Barrister Muhammad Lamin told the court that the Justice Commissioner was empowered by section 211 of the Nigerian Constitution to take over any case from anybody and or stop it entirely.

Defamation is a jailable crime.
Re: Na Wa For Naija Imagine Lamido’s Facebook Critic Remanded In Prison by Beaf: 6:48pm On Feb 01, 2011
Shock:

Defamation is NOT a jailable offense, it is only punishable by fine, that's why the dude shouldn't be locked up to begin with.

This should be a civil action not a criminal action.  I wonder where sir Beaf is getting his information from.

FRN vs MR XYZ if found guilty could be a jailable offense.

MR ABC vs MR XYZ if found guilty is a civil offense and punishable by monetary fines.

If Mr XYZ has refuse to pay the fines, then it becomes an offense against the FRN and thus jailable.

Really?

[size=14pt]Nigeria: Otedola - Court Remands Two in Prison for Defamation[/size]
26 November 2010

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
An Abuja Chief Magistrate court on Tuesday remanded two suspects to Kuje maximum prison for defaming the character of the Executive Chairman of African Petroleum [AP], Mr. Femi Otedola.

The suspects, Clement Aviomoh and Sunday Esan were jointly accused of defamation of character, injurious falsehood, printing or engraging matter known to be defamatory and sale of printed or engraged substance containing defamatory matter, contrary to sections 79, 392, 393, 394 and 395 of the Penal Code CAP 531 Laws of the Federation of Nigeria 1990.

According to the First Information Report, Otedola had on October 19 2010 through a Direct Criminal Complaint to the Chief Magistrate, Abuja which was referred to the Inspector-General of Police for Investigation, reported that the suspects had in July and August, cause to be published in many national newspapers, a defamatory publication which maligned his reputation and integrity.

The FIR said, "That in July and August 2010, you Aviomoh Clement (m) and Sunday Esan (m), while acting in concert and in furtherance of a common intention to defame, embarrass, and maliciously cause serious harm to the reputation of the Executive Chairman of African Petroleum, Mr. Femi Otedola published in News Star of Monday 2 - Tuesday 3 August 2010 on page 10-13, Compass Newspaper of August 1 2010 on page 47, News of the People of August 16-23, 2010 edition on page 13-16, First Weekly Newspaper of August 15, 2010 on page 29-32 and on page 2-6 of a book with the caption: "How Otedola is killing AP"

"Under the above caption, you published that Mr. Femi Otedola has been milking African Petroleum for his private gains for the past two years. You published further that Mr. Femi Otedola has been using his companies, Zenon Petroleum and Gas Company Limited, Platinum Fleet Limited and Fineshade Energy Limited to sell products to African Petroleum at high prices than the retail prices.

http://allafrica.com/stories/printable/201011291663.html

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Igbos Has The Most Beautiful Girls In Nigeria / Rochas Okorocha Celebrates His 54th Birthday Today / Boko Haram: I Wrote My Will 6 Months After Becoming Governor - Shettima

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.