Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,265 members, 7,818,906 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:45 AM

Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? (18659 Views)

Share Your Bad Experiences With Bank Charges Here / Ever Been Disappointed By An ATM Machine? Share Your Experiences / Your experiences with the UBA Naira Visa Africard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by MT: 12:24pm On Jun 14, 2007
What Bad Experience(s) Have You Had With Your Banks ?

OCEANIC BANK

I opened an account with Oceanic bank, Iwo Road Branch & I was told to wait for some few weeks for the cheque to arrive. I was told that any time I want to withdraw, i just need to write a letter  specifying the amount i need to withdraw.

To my UTMOST dismay, when I wanted to withdraw at the OCEANIC Bank, Gbagi Branch, I was told at the customer service that they would charge me for N250 for not having a cheque. I said he should give me reason why I have to pay for bank's mistake and he just said thats the bank policy.

I feel that thats a RIP OFF!!
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by DisGuy: 1:38pm On Jun 14, 2007
why do you need a cheque to withdraw you own money? dont you have the bank card or passbook? undecided
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by ferugio(m): 2:53pm On Jun 14, 2007
I had a similar experience with UBA in December06.
I actually walked into my branch and they had a ready made form for this kind of situation and I still got charged.

I later realised that regardless of being in possession of your cheque book or not you'll get charged anyway.
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by easimoni(m): 4:16pm On Jun 14, 2007
I've had the same UBA experience as ferugio. IT seems you'll always need a cheque or an ATM card. Don't forget you pay about N10 for a cheque. If you want to withdraw money without an ATM card or cheque, it should cost u money. Just not N250. These banks are rip-offs. angry
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by ferugio(m): 4:31pm On Jun 14, 2007
@easimoni

Can I email you on a diff issue? I really need your expertise.
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by doyenn(m): 5:12pm On Jun 14, 2007
the horrible experience i had with bank start with intercontinental bank,my office need to open a salary acct for us,we all took their form and fill,we submitted and hoping to get response as soon as possible,maybe they would complete the process 2morro and bring our books.since dec'o6,de havnt finish acct opening.we were there individually to request for our chq book and others but it's promises upon promises.
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by easimoni(m): 5:37pm On Jun 14, 2007
ferugio:

@easimoni

Can I email you on a diff issue? I really need your expertise.

easimoni2004@yahoo.com
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by MT: 6:43pm On Jun 14, 2007
I strongly feel CBN should intervene in some of these their shady deals as they are completely ripping off innocent Nigerians. They have no logical explanation for their acts, and i feel more people should voice out on this forum how they have been cheated so that we know those banks that are most involved ugly act. embarassed
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by stranger29(m): 11:31am On Jun 16, 2007
I came back to town after my youth service only for me to go to my bank (Habib bank) to discover its name had changed to Platinum Habib bank to withdraw some money i had been saving while i was in school, to my greatest surprise i was told that my account was dormant and that to reactivate it i will be charged =N=3,500 (Imagine what that will have done for me when i was jobless with no more NYSC or parental allowee) . i initially thought they were playing but later discovered they were serious and i had no option than to take the remaining part of the money and that was the last time i ever used that account. that made me do a lot of enquiry from other banks and discovered that others dont charge for reactivation and even those that charge dont charge up to =N=500. Since then I have sworn that i will never allow any body i know open an account there, i have also taken it as a point of duty to keep discouraging my friends from going to those extortionist even though they keep trying to deceive people with their adverts which they steal from the foreign media
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by jidody(m): 12:23pm On Jun 16, 2007
Union Bank Falomo Branch. I went to withdraw my salary that had been paid in almost 2 months before and they told me that my office had not paid it in. I then took a long drive back to Ikeja to the financial department of my office where I got a copy of the evidence of payment to my bank account signed and stamped by Union Bank. On getting back to the Bank, they now changed their story saying the person that recieved it then was on leave. They kept me waiting for about 4 hours saying that they were checking files and drawers for whatever. It wasn't until I raised fire and brimstone that my account was credited. I have since moved my salary account to another bank.
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by onuku: 12:33pm On Jun 16, 2007
I have a domiciliary account with UBA, and Spring Bank. To my greatest surprise, UBA was deducting 3.5% on any money that i transfered from source, yet they still have to deduct 1% when I do any withdrawal.
Is that how banks in Nigeria do their business.
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by Soundmind(m): 3:31pm On Jun 16, 2007
My brother open account with Trans International Bank in Abuja, during consolidation, the bank was taken over by oceanic bank. Even before consolidation, he went to the bank to withdraw money and was told that he has closed his account. To his surprise, he asked for the letter that was written to close the account. The bank refused to produce the letter, when he wanted to make noise over that, security was asked to walk him out of the banking premises.
Later, he went to oceanic bank and was told that it is a closed case. It is a big rip off. God help us.
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by rowlandwhy: 3:49pm On Jun 16, 2007
GTB is the best so far
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by touche(m): 5:42pm On Jun 16, 2007
banks r rip-offs, datz y dey declare so much profits. diamond bank charged me N1,800 in feb 2007 as 'bank charges'.
know y?
i HAD(abandoned d acct) an ATM account (DXA, u only withdraw wit ATM), but i made a couple of withdrawals over d counter.
know y?
their ATM was outta service.
i wuz charged 4 their negligence.
people, lets get a lawyer and sue these bastards.
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by rowlandwhy: 5:45pm On Jun 16, 2007
touche:

banks r rip-offs, datz y dey declare so much profits. diamond bank charged me N1,800 in feb 2007 as 'bank charges'.
know y?
i HAD(abandoned d acct) an ATM account (DXA, u only withdraw wit ATM), but i made a couple of withdrawals over d counter.
know y?
their ATM was out of service.
i wuz charged 4 their negligence.
people, lets get a lawyer and sue these bastards.

laughin off my ass LOL
You can help to contact one and show good example to others
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by Nobody: 7:49pm On Jun 16, 2007
compared to all the above mine is pretty fair

I went to the bank and the queue was all the way to the carpark; I quickly cross checked if it was payday but it wasn't

when i finally got inside I went straight to customer service to check my balance, whilst waiting I took a look around my surroundings, the banking hall looked like Tejuosho market!! shocked

apparently it was payday for all those CORPORATE KALO-KALO enterprises grin
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by akani(m): 8:07pm On Jun 16, 2007
I discover the same fate with Trans International Bank known as Spring Bank now with previous liquidation about 2yrs ago.I wondered what could have happened to their bankruptcy, i discover it has germinated alots of trouble to their clients then.I think the bank is still nurturing the problem according to the current news i doubt if its could maintain its stability.
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by monsieurp: 8:20pm On Jun 16, 2007
GT bank Aba - Port Harcourt road

I went to that branch to withdraw 40k a customer paid into my account only for to see 4000 naira bank charges withdrawn from my account. i was very surprised and asked customer care for explanation and they said is COT charges.

i know about COT, banks normally withdraw 0.5% from your account for every transaction but my account is still very new and only 220k has passed throu dat account meaning i should have paid COT of 1250 naira and not 4000 naira

funny enough the costumer care lady said there is nothing they could do, i should just accept it as one of those "things dat happen ". i was so disappointed with GT bank cos i have made all my friends open accounts with them.
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by Nobody: 8:24pm On Jun 16, 2007
So far,I have read  situations in Nigerian banks.
The western world also makes mistakes,here is my story

Many years ago,I had gone to make a deposit money into my savings account.
This account had a good balance and I had just deposited only about $200 or so on this fateful day which didn't make much difference but then I did something I had never done before.
I carefully compared my account number to the account number on my receipt and to my dismay,the money had been paid into some one else's account.

By this time, I was already back to work but later returned to get the mistake corrected,but the bank teller who had attended to me had left and the bank manager had it corrected,apologised profusely and I'm almost certain the young lady who made that mistake lost her job.
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by phrankie(m): 9:44pm On Jun 16, 2007
i had a horrible experience with Intercontinental bank. That bank is horrible. i recently discovered that some amount of money was withdrawn frm my account via check i know i did not issue. when i complained to them i found out that my cheque book was probably stolen, some leaves ripped off so that i couldnt notice and my signature forged. If my signature cannot be used as my mandate then what else can. i demanded a copy of the said cheque and it was so obvious that the teller/cashier who paid the money was negligent. Of course i was furious and these people tried to claim that the signature resembles mine and i was probably trying to make trouble for them. i still haven't been paid back my money and that's the only reason why i still have an account with them. i wouldn't advise anyone to open an account with them. that's one problematic bank. GTB is exceptional.
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by DoubleN(m): 10:44pm On Jun 16, 2007
Intercontinental Bank[b][/b]
A friend of mine paid money into my account,only for me to rush to the bank and was told that the money was not there.on calling my friend to confirm,he went back to the bank and they had the impetus to tell him that the money was posted into the wrong account and the owner of that account has withdrawn the money!Till today i am yet to get my money can you imagine such nonsense?
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by kayodus(m): 2:21pm On Jun 17, 2007
First Bank's services and customer care irritates me.

I opened a savings account with a bank that i thought was "Truly the first" and to my utomost dismay in another bank i was told i could not withdraw from my account. Imagine that! I was told they were ONLINE o!

Another one,

One of my friends had an account at their ile-ife branch. he went and checked his balance after say a month. He realised 50 000 naira had been removed from his account. They told him without even caring that someone must have come to withdraw the money from his account. shocked(And he never had anyone withdraw from his account during this period).

It took the intervention of some top shot at the branch before the issue could be settled, very disgusting (sorry for that word) bank if you ask me.
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by nikinash(f): 5:41pm On Jun 17, 2007
the problem with most people in Nigeria is that we make so much empty noises, we don't seek toknow our rights even as customers. i must say i am highly dissapointed by the stuff i have read so far. if you had a lodgement(credit) made into your account, and someone posted wrongly intop another account, you have a right to get your money back, how the bank gets the money back if teh wrongly credited customer has withdrawn it, is not your business (except if it is not your money in the first place, maybe you got it fraudulently! If a fraudulent withdrawal was made from your account (i.e. you were not the one who made the withdrawal), you must collect your money back. it is the bank's fault that they did not exercise due diligence. yes, you also have some blame because you are supposed to keep your instruments (chequebook, passbook etc) carefully, however, you have a right to redress.

for crying out loud, write everybody in the bank if you must, but do not take it lying low! even if it is 1000 naira, it is still your money! what many people do not realise is that bank workers are human beings who are not nly prone to but make mistakes everyday. those mistakes are meant to be seen but if they are not, sometimes it is the customer who has to point them out. so act!

bank's websites usually have emal addresses of their m.ds and top management staff, and believe me they read those mails. so if you are disatisfied, mail them if you cant write hard copies!
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by AbdulWasiu(m): 9:46pm On Jun 18, 2007
Intercontinental BanK, A terrible bank indeed!
I have an account with this bank.
Ridiculous amout being deducted from my account on a regular basis.
I have been double debited with my ATM at one of their branches in PH for about one week now,
nothin has been done about it, despite makin me write a lettter.
My resolution? Clear my cash out as soon as d account is credited!
Let them do whateva with d N1000 remaining.
Only God can liberate us from our fellow beings!
Terrible indeed.
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by cheexy: 3:12am On Jun 19, 2007
I had a very bad experience with UBA Oyingbo and Ojuelegba today. Can you imagine a bank that posts a very impressive report with all the noise could not afford to back up their network. I went to Oyingbo first of all to cash a cheque issued by a customer, the crowd i saw there was terrble. I then decided to go to Ojuelegba branch and stayed there for hours and kept getting the same story that they had network problems. The people still expected me to put my life on hold by switching off my cell phone? I just sharply got a seat, rested my back and calmly put my phone on silent and kept clicking away and conducting my business.
I had earlier made the mistake of switching off my phone at first bank and lost a hot deal. Since then, my eye clear.
Anyways, I still love my diamond bank.
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by junegirl(f): 4:21pm On Jun 19, 2007
A sore point for me is my money that went down with All States Bank. I had used the account while I was serving in Enugu to save my precious allowie. Because the bank claimed to be online, I didn't bother closing it after service. Went it went under and Ecobank acquired its assets and liabilities, I went to the HQ in VI to verify my account. To my dismay, I was asked to go to the branch where I opened the account to do the verification. I was working in Lagos and it wasn't possible for me to go to Enugu. So, my money went down the drain.
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by AbdulWasiu(m): 10:20pm On Jun 19, 2007
To God be the Glory!

Intercontinental Bank has finally paid me back my money.

Do we have some of their staff on this forum? I was surprisd at

d speed they attended to me on dis issue which I've been pursuing for a week!

I believe the bank can do better.

Let's continue to air our issues, the walls really have ears!

Good luck y'all.
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by alamin3: 10:29am On Jun 21, 2007
INTERCONTINENTAL BANK IS A VERY GOOD BANK, WHEN THE STAFF SEEM TO BE UNCO-OPERATIVE, I SIMPLY SEND SMS USING THE NUMBER SPECIFIED ON THEIR BANNER AND I DON'T ONLY GET THE PROBLEM RESOLVED BUT THE STAFF INVOLVED IS ALSO PUNISHED FOR HER NEGLIGENCE.

PLS. DO GIVE IT A TRIAL, IT WORKED FOR ME
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by Tmoni(m): 6:54pm On Jun 21, 2007
out of sheer curiousity,cheexy
whats ur occupation
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by cheexy: 10:49pm On Jun 21, 2007
Tmoni:

out of sheer curiousity,cheexy
whats your occupation
@Tmoni
I am a final yr systems engineering student but i own a business that supplies laptops, flash drives and accesories. Satisfied?
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by igbonla(m): 10:22am On Jun 22, 2007
Thanks Tmoni, I was about asking the same question!
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by Tmoni(m): 3:30pm On Jun 22, 2007
@ cheexy,
thats quite interesting,

cross breed of IT and investment,
should see u at the top

nice analysis

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Taxify Drivers/partners In Ibadan, Share Your Experience Here. / Dangote Floats $100m Truck Assembly Plant In Lagos / Letter To Activate Dormant Account

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.