Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,814 members, 7,817,359 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:55 AM

Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? - Business (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? (18653 Views)

Share Your Bad Experiences With Bank Charges Here / Ever Been Disappointed By An ATM Machine? Share Your Experiences / Your experiences with the UBA Naira Visa Africard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by chikibaybi(f): 8:38pm On Dec 04, 2007
GTBank: 98%
Zenith Bank:80%
but firstinland bank, Oba Akaran branch is a sight sore. If one spends less than one hour on the queue, then you are lucky. The staffs are rude and very, very , very noisy. Always in Vernacular 24/7 and at the top of their voices. Then a small stain on GTBank is one fair in complexion lady at Ojuelegba branch, she is exceptionally.

Then sweetsensation, Ikeja GRA on Isaac jones is another crazy place with mannerless staff. I only know of two ladies that are humble. I get their names when next i go there.
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by hafees: 6:08pm On Dec 05, 2007
i operate 3 accounts. first i must say i regreat standard trust merging with UBA, wetin for carry me go there.Very slow, and the staffs most of the time nonchalant and seemingly ready to abuse, my ATM never works, several times they keep tossing me to see this person or the other and they now charge for collecting money in other branches or collecting small money without ATM-arm robbers.

For firstbank iyana ipaja, u will queue and faint, there is only a saucy man staff who is so stupid at the teller that right now he has been moved to customer care where he can run his tongue better.

pls i want to know what happened to African International Bank, have they been bought after their collapse, or merged, pls whatever is happening to them? them de hold my money, Government is not talking too.
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by hafees: 6:10pm On Dec 05, 2007
i operate 3 accounts. first i must say i regreat standard trust merging with UBA, wetin for carry me go there.Very slow, and the staffs most of the time nonchalant and seemingly ready to abuse, my ATM never works, several times they keep tossing me to see this person or the other and they now charge for collecting money in other branches or collecting small money without ATM-arm robbers.

For firstbank iyana ipaja, u will queue and faint, there is only a saucy man staff who is so stupid at the teller that right now he has been moved to customer care where he can run his tongue better. again they have all kinds of frudulent deductions on my current account,

pls i want to know what happened to African International Bank, have they been bought after their collapse, or merged, pls whatever is happening to them? them de hold my money, Government is not talking too.
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by maddock(m): 10:48am On Dec 06, 2007
Its so so sad that we Nigerians are all hostage customers, all our service providers treat the customers so shabbily that at times you wonder if they need the customers to survive or the other way round.I think its high time we started demanding and getting excellent services that is due to us.Among all the banks first and union banks are the worst cuprit
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by Pepeye(f): 10:53am On Dec 06, 2007
hafees:

For firstbank iyana ipaja, u will queue and faint, there is only a saucy man staff who is so stupid at the teller that right now he has been moved to customer care where he can run his tongue better. again they have all kinds of frudulent deductions on my current account,

please i want to know what happened to African International Bank, have they been bought after their collapse, or merged, please whatever is happening to them? them de hold my money, Government is not talking too.

I will recommend diamond bank to u…their service is awesome
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by mababe(f): 2:01pm On Dec 10, 2007
The worst bank that i'd ever come across is FIRST INLAND BANK. I was sent a text to attend a test on 3rd Nov 2007 at their office opposite V/I barbeach.On arrival, there was this huge crowd which is common to most test venues cos of 'gates crashers",that is, those that will attend a test without being invited. Some of their staff were at the gate to check if pple were actually sent the sms,on checking u'l be allowed to enter the main gate.
I showed them the sms on my phone,they allowed me to enter, there was another 'check point' before u woukld be allowed to enter into the test hall.
A list of people they claimed they actually invited was checked and some of us did not find our names, i told them that they were the one that sent the test to me, i was amazed when they siad that may be one of my friends forwarded the test to me.
Those of us that was affected was asked to wait till the first batch will finish that is, 10 am set. I waited till 12 noon when the first batch finished, only to be told to wait till second batch will finish by 2pm.
Be that as it may, we decided to wait (those of us that were affected) only for one fair woman whom i beleive to be in their HR dept who was so rude and unaccomodating,she started shouting at the top of her voice that those that were not sent the sms should go and she called some mobile policemen to actually drive people away,imagine!
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by blossom(f): 4:21pm On Dec 10, 2007
I've had some good experiences with GTB in terms of customer service but recently I'm having to doubt their sincerity. You see, I used my ATM card at one of their branches and the first time I was given an error message i'e [i]'they are temporarily unable to dispense cash' and I should try again which I did and got my money. The problem now is that they debited my account as if the first trial was succesful so now my account is short by 20K. This happened since 1st Dec and I have been to their office 3 good times, filled the neccesary form, called on the phone, sent e-mails and all I keep getting is please we will correct it in the next 24hours but till this minuite my balance is still wrong. I really don't know what to think again because GTB is one bank I've had some confidence in.
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by seun001(m): 4:31pm On Dec 10, 2007
@Blossom,
why didnt u escalate the issue.enter the branch where ur account is domiciled and start screaming.i bet ur account will be credited asap.
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by blossom(f): 4:38pm On Dec 10, 2007
Sure I've done that. Infact all these are happening at my branch, I mean I used my ATM Card at my branch and I've been reporting to my branch. I really don't understand why it is taking so long to address.
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by seun001(m): 4:46pm On Dec 10, 2007
GTB is not known to be that lackadaisical to its customers therefore something must be wrong somewhere.maybe u can request to see the manager of the branch or if u can locate his office,just walk in and start throwing threats around.lol grin
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by TerrySoft(m): 5:21pm On Dec 11, 2007
I think there is no way any one person can say he is satisfied with the services offered by his/her bank. those who say so only say so because the bad day hasn't come yet.

The worst experience i had was with Citizens Bank, now Spring Bank PLC. For approximately 6 hours out of the 8 hours they are open for business, their system was down and you get excuses like "our system is down", "we are restarting the system", "we've just called the head office", "it's not from us but from our head office", "please wait or come back 2morrow", etc.

The list of excuses above were unending. Sometimes, you are asked to go to some other branch and so on and so forth.

I'm really wondering when banking institutions would live up to expectation.
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by blossom(f): 5:39pm On Dec 11, 2007
Well, I just want to report that GTB did credit my account today after I went there with hard face. Infact one of the guys personally promised me that he must see that it was credited before tomorrow and before I got back to my office they sent me a text shoing my new account balance.
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by seun001(m): 9:53am On Dec 12, 2007
blossom:

Well, I just want to report that GTB did credit my account today after I went there with hard face. Infact one of the guys personally promised me that he must see that it was credited before tomorrow and before I got back to my office they sent me a text shoing my new account balance.

so u r cool, right?
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by blossom(f): 1:31pm On Dec 12, 2007
yes O! 20k is a bit too much to play with right now.
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by seun001(m): 5:00pm On Dec 12, 2007
@blossom,
even if it was 1k,its your money.
and by the way,i think more ATM's needs to be deployed.some weekends u find so many peeps queuing up to withdraw money.no be small thingy ooo!
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by aime(f): 4:12pm On Dec 16, 2007
its interesting how many people are complaining about customer service in banks. but ask ourself a question; how many of us actually practise good customer service in our own workplace? the problem is more than just the banks, it permeates through every industry in Nigeria sad sad.we just dont know how to treat our clients:we believe we are doing them a favour rather than the other way round sad.until that problem is fully addressed with one of the solutions being a complete re-orientation of our mindset, get ready to be treated badly everywhere you go. grin grin
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by gentleone(f): 3:33pm On Dec 24, 2007
for me, first bank has been the worse so far,
i was at their okota branch to check my balance last week and u won't believe this, the woman at the customer service desk told me point blank that she was busy!
she said i should go use my atm card which i told her i din't have(i've requested for over a year now), i also told her i had requested for internet banking but had still not gotten a reply. well, she said she was busy and i should just go ahead and withdraw. i had to go to their cele express branch when i saw she was not ready to attend to me.

i have sent a mail to their headoffice but i doubt if anyone will read it and if at all they would, maybe sometime nxt year.

also, my acct has still not been credited and my company has paid since 14th!
all efforts to get them on phone has failed as the ones i got online are temporarily out of service!
i'm talking about falomo branch to be precise, in case anyone has their numbers ooo angry
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by Princesege(m): 9:28pm On Dec 24, 2007
Well I have accounts with Oceanic, 1st, and GTB.
Out of these three, GTB seems to be the best untill a week ago when I can not transact business online again.

It sadens me to dee that 3rd party transfer was removed from online platform. This is was the manin reason I opened the account. Now I have to be phoning. Although before this time there has been no complaint, but the last action put me off.

I expected them to notify me at least three months before so that I can move my money and go any bank that will give me that service.

Does anybody know what is wrong with GTB?
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by iice(f): 4:00am On Dec 27, 2007
Union Bank. . .my mom had bad experiences with that bank. . .it was enough to put me off the bank forever undecided
Right now, am satisfied with one of the banks i go to
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by earthrealm(m): 5:38am On Jan 10, 2008
mine was with intercontinental bank,olu obasanjo branch,,,[ph hqtrs]
went there 2 cash a chq, was pleasantly suprised when the lady teller payed me all my cash down 2 the last kobk, well alomost cos she cudnt pay me 17k,i was impressed,cos most times these tellers just approximate n pay the a round figure,
well i went upstairs to deposit some of cash,n the sum of 6naira/ 3 2naira coins was among the money i wanted to deposit,
i was totally shocked when the receiving teller outrightly rejected my coins!!!, he said that its their policy not 2 accept coins, blah blah blah, when i tried 2 xplain 2 him that i just got these coins from the teller down stairs, he ended up saying that they can give folks coins, but that they r instructed not 2 receive!!!!,

i was dumbfounded, cos going by the zillions of naira CBN has wasted onadverts about the new naira coins,i just cudnt comprehend a bank refusing to accept them, we were still arguing about it when anoda bank staff came n also supported the tellers claim, guess i shud have taken the matter up, but i didnt n till 2day the 6naira coins are still chiiling their heels on my desk at home!!!
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by tflow: 8:37am On Jan 10, 2008
to me i think other banks are far better than uba. have encounter so many problem from uba, to the extent that they stole so much money from my account. uba is just a fake bank in nigeria.
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by tearface(f): 10:23pm On May 02, 2008
Wow!Bank Palaver.I dont know why these banks are giving us headaches.I nearly lost my masters admiission this session because First Bank had a network problem.I was out of town and I returned to realise that the sale of forms was to stop on that day.I rushed to the nearest branch only to realise that I cannot withdraw except from the branch where my account was domiciled and their ATM machne was out of service.Thank God I have another account ith Sterling.I rushed to the nearest branch and it saved my admission.

I had another experience with Afribank.Network,too!!! angry An Aunt of mine was urgently in need of money,so I deposited some into her account.She checked and it wasnt there.So I went back to the bank to confirm if I had sent it to the right account only to find the hall full of people all waiting to check their balance and I was told that the bank has been having a network problem.

GT and Zenith,please save the Bama people by opening branches there.
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by tearface(f): 10:34pm On May 02, 2008
I'm talking of Kano main branches.
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by duchez(m): 6:45pm On May 03, 2008
intercontinental bank is a bank that strives to make her customers happy all the time, cos its only when your customers are happy that you too can be happy. intercontinental bank believes that she can only be happy when her customers are happy. my experiences with them have always been perfect. same goes for GTB. these are exceptional banks.
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by obybabe(f): 2:22pm On Jul 04, 2008
You are talking about Intercontinental and Zenith what about UBA

The last time I went to withdraw money from their Lagos branch I was meant to understand that if you withdraw anything less than 20k, they will discount certain percentage from ur savings. 

Please, make una tell me, I use to think that when you open a savings account, the bank is bound to put interest in your savings rather the reverse is the case where you (client) pay them for using ur money for loan to other borrowers that pay them interest in your place.

This method is almost applicable to other banks now.  I don't know where we are heading to in this country. shocked shocked shocked
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by larez(m): 3:59pm On Jul 16, 2008

They are Crooks indeed
« #1 on: Today at 03:55:20 PM »
Modify message
Thank you for taking the initiative to post your issues. I have had the same experience with Ecobank that had a series of "ATM Reversals" on my account to the tune of NGN74,000.00. When I asked what the heck the debits were, I was told that they were transactions that were posted after 3 months. This is a damn lie, and I have met and requested many times for them to show me any kind of proof to no avail. These Banks steal from people. I have notified some friends in the Senate and the House for a probe, and they have asked me to officially submit my complaint. It will be nice if we can all get together and present these issues to our legislators. It is more widespread than you can imagine, and when you make transactions that do not complete, your account still gets debited. In 26 years of using ATMs in America, I never once had this problem, and if I did, it was corrected immediately upon notifying my Bank.

Ecobank took over 7 months of their so-called investigation to come back and tell me the same thing without any documentation to prove. Meanwhile, I have not talked to Interswitch, which reflected my account correctly until Ecobank stole my money with "Transaction reversals". Anybody with a little sense will realize that a "transaction reversal means a credit to your account, and not a debit. I believe that some previous transactions that I had queried made interswitch credit my account, which ecoBank then stole. This means I was debited twice for bad transactions.
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by folusho90: 12:30pm On Jul 30, 2008
Have you got access to intercontinental or skye bank checks with FAT accounts?
I have 'connections' within those banks who can do magic. EFCC-proof. All we need is a copy of an issued check

Call me on 07034417145 for details
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by Michael707: 9:39am On Feb 24, 2017
The new Union Bank comes in very serene, clean and comfortable branches. Enjoy smart and simple ways of Banking with very low cost on transactions. A bank that won't debit unsolicited funds from your account.
That is my Union Bank.
krisbobo:
Guys, here is what to do the next time a bank messes with you:

send a mail to a guy named Ozie Williams (oziewilliams@yahoo.co.uk). he writes for guardian Life. He writes a column called Convenience. You should see how those banks quickly react when he takes them on. he basically visits banks, eaterries, hotels, multinationals and so on and reports on their customer service and toilets. his reports are always hillarious. Life is a supplement of the Guardian on sunday and it is free, just buy guardian.

he has yabbed UBA, First bank. union Bank and others on the state of their services and toilets. You will not believe how terrible they can be. the guy is very funny in his description. if those people catch that guy! and it works because they dont want bad publicity

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Dangote Floats $100m Truck Assembly Plant In Lagos / Letter To Activate Dormant Account / Piggybank.ng, The Nigerian Fintech Startup That Just Raised $1.1million

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.