Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,702 members, 7,813,320 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:45 AM

Oworonshoki: The Lagos Slum Where Hushpuppi Bought Food On Credit & Washed Cars - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Oworonshoki: The Lagos Slum Where Hushpuppi Bought Food On Credit & Washed Cars (116463 Views)

The Prison Where Hushpuppi Will Stay For 11 Years In The US / Chicago Prison Where Hushpuppi Is Being Held / 'One Million Boys' Storm Oworonshoki In Lagos. Youths Resist Them (Video, Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oworonshoki: The Lagos Slum Where Hushpuppi Bought Food On Credit & Washed Cars by Realcash224(m): 9:13pm On Jul 18, 2020
Nobody saw a billionaire in Hushpuppi some 15 years ago when he roamed the dusty streets of Oworonshoki, Lagos, looking to wash cars for a paltry N100, and later returning to a food joint where he had beans and bread on credit.

In a philosophical reflection, using himself as a case study, he touched on how a child could feel rejected because of his poor background in his widely circulated 2017 “Letter to the Ghetto Kid”. It was about the same year Hushpuppi became a household name, as he had started using his social media page to flaunt his wealth.

With a sense of pride, Ramon Abass, whose dad drove a taxi and mum sold bread by the roadside in Oworonshoki, would say he represents “every underprivileged kid of the world and especially of Nigeria and of Lagos and of Bariga and of Oworonshoki — where a landlord had chased me and my family out of a rented room.”

Of course, now sounding like someone who has made it in life, he concluded by advising that “dejected kid” not to give up, just like he never did.
Entering stardom, Hushpuppi claimed to be into real estate but this had been trailed by skepticism, with many wondering how the 37-year-old had maintained a luxurious lifestyle for years — from acquiring the latest automobiles, including Rolls-Royce and Ferrari, to hiring private jets to take him holidaying across the best spots in the world.

It didn’t come much as a surprise in June when he was arrested in Dubai, where he was based, with 11 of his associates over email scams known in the Nigerian parlance as Yahoo-Yahoo.

In the special operation dubbed “Fox Hunt 2”, the Dubai police had tracked Hushpuppi for about four months, and upon his arrest, it was alleged that the crimes committed outside the UAE, included money laundering, cyber fraud, hacking, impersonation, banking fraud and identity theft worth Dh1.6 billion (an estimated N168 billion).

The police also revealed that 1,926,400 victims were targeted by the syndicate.

Subsequently extradited to the US for trial on money laundering, his lawyer, however, insisted that Hushpuppi “became rich through real estate.”

The real estate claim is what some residents of Ogunyomi street in Oworonshoki would dismiss.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thecable.ng/inside-lagos-slum-where-hushpuppi-bought-food-on-credit-washed-cars-for-survival/amp

19 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Oworonshoki: The Lagos Slum Where Hushpuppi Bought Food On Credit & Washed Cars by Realcash224(m): 9:13pm On Jul 18, 2020
He started the Yahoo-Yahoo thing from this house, and for years was still struggling because the money they were getting was little change,” a neighbour who pleaded anonymity told TheCable.

“With the little money then, all they could afford were sneakers, low cost wristwatches and all. But there was this day he hit it big. It was like a breakthrough for him. I entered the room and ran outside, seeing the huge amount of money.

“So, he bought gold with that money. His thought was that buying gold would be a good idea for keeping the money as he could sell it off anytime. He got more hits and bought more gold.”

BOUGHT FOOD ON CREDIT…
Mama Dele’s buka where Hushpuppi used to eat on creditMama Dele was and still the run-to woman when most of the boys on the streets are hungry, and maybe low on cash, and this was evident the moment TheCable’s reporter with two others arrived at her buka on Ogunyomi street.

“Ha, my children, you are coming late, food has finished for today o,” she said, pointing at the empty pots.

She wouldn’t hesitate to talk when asked if she knew Hushpuppi.

“They are all my children, and were always here. Is it because he has money you people don’t want to believe he came here to eat almost daily when he lived here?” she asked, with a wide smile.

“He bought food on credit here many times. Not even only here, he bought sardines, noodles on credit from other women down the street. He will just come and say, ‘mummy, we are hungry o, we want to eat o, but there’s no money on ground now o.’ That’s how he talks.

94 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Oworonshoki: The Lagos Slum Where Hushpuppi Bought Food On Credit & Washed Cars by Realcash224(m): 9:17pm On Jul 18, 2020
“And after a while, he disappeared; we didn’t see him. After some years though, he returned and then paid all the money he was owing. He also gave me money to make catfish pepper soup for him and his friends.

“During his most recent and last visit, I think in 2018, he ‘dashed’ me N5,000. I was in the backyard when I was told that someone was calling me outside. I came out and saw him inside one car. I shouted Ramon with all excitement, and held his hands.”

Some got angry that how could the billionaire Hushpuppi give her “just N5,000” with all she’s “done for him”, but Mama Dele said it wasn’t a big deal as he gave the money out of his free will without her asking.

“I could have rejected and I know he would have given me more, but I’m content with anything anyone gives me as a gift,” she said.

Mama Dele would describe Hushpuppi as someone who doesn’t like making trouble, and was never a thief.

“The only thing I knew he was doing was this Yahoo,” she said, and wouldn’t realise the connection between theft and Yahoo-Yahoo.

192 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Oworonshoki: The Lagos Slum Where Hushpuppi Bought Food On Credit & Washed Cars by SAMBARRY: 9:18pm On Jul 18, 2020
Smh

The holy book says a fool and his money are soon seperated

If you are a fool and you have 500 billion,if you have poverty of the mind and brain, you will loose it

Hushpupi lacks wisdom.a rich man without wisdom will still go back to square one

Another issue is that he was not a giver.how can a woman who was good to you during your broke days just give her a paltry ₦5000

If at all you're stingy you should have helped her renovate her shop and give her better equipments for her buisness since she was a kind buisness woman

This days how many food sellers sell food with compassion? If you don't have money they will hurl insults at you and drive you out disgracefully

534 Likes 27 Shares

Re: Oworonshoki: The Lagos Slum Where Hushpuppi Bought Food On Credit & Washed Cars by Realcash224(m): 9:19pm On Jul 18, 2020
Some people who spoke with TheCable said Hushpuppi was already rich enough to buy the street and turn it into an estate, but he wouldn’t.

A hotel on the street, at a time, was up for sale and Sikiru Adekoya, his close friend who was also arrested alongside Hushpuppi, was said to have called him to buy the building, but he showed no interest.

“What has all his money amounted to now that we can’t even point to one thing he did in his area?” one of the sources asked.

“The house he was born in was here on Oworo road, and now that place has been bought and turned into a car wash. I remember very well how Ramon, interestingly, used to ask people to bring their cars to the front of that house so he could wash. They paid him about N100 per car then. Just imagine if he even bought that space and turned it to a modern car wash. At least boys on the street would get more jobs from that.”

144 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Oworonshoki: The Lagos Slum Where Hushpuppi Bought Food On Credit & Washed Cars by Bhadmus77(m): 9:23pm On Jul 18, 2020
Hmm

1 Like

Re: Oworonshoki: The Lagos Slum Where Hushpuppi Bought Food On Credit & Washed Cars by Realcash224(m): 9:24pm On Jul 18, 2020
He is also accused of not helping others with whom he started with on the streets.

It wasn’t until two years ago that he eventually took in Sikiru with him in Dubai, who got arrested with him in June when the Dubai police stormed their house, a source claimed.

“Sometimes, I will be with Sikiru and he will be on phone with Ramon, begging him to send money. Despite having a billionaire friend, Sikiru was still staying in this ghetto area,” another source explained.

As things stand now, that once-upon-a-poor-boy from Oworoshonki risks spending the next 20 years in an American prison if convicted.
https://www.thecable.ng/inside-lagos-slum-where-hushpuppi-bought-food-on-credit-washed-cars-for-survival/amp

44 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Oworonshoki: The Lagos Slum Where Hushpuppi Bought Food On Credit & Washed Cars by allen113: 9:26pm On Jul 18, 2020
sikiru na bad luck

249 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Oworonshoki: The Lagos Slum Where Hushpuppi Bought Food On Credit & Washed Cars by poshestmina(f): 9:27pm On Jul 18, 2020
So
Was that way he scammed people of their hard earned monies?

Is he the only kid out of a ghetto?

All this pity stories won't save him . undecided undecided undecided undecided

250 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Oworonshoki: The Lagos Slum Where Hushpuppi Bought Food On Credit & Washed Cars by EzzyCarter: 9:52pm On Jul 18, 2020
allen113:
sikiru na bad luck

Mothaf^cka grin grin grin

123 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Oworonshoki: The Lagos Slum Where Hushpuppi Bought Food On Credit & Washed Cars by obiekunie2: 10:16pm On Jul 18, 2020
allen113:
sikiru na bad luck

Exactly!

maybe the instruction his babalawo gave him is never to help any body and sikiru made him break it. grin

now he has to suffer the consequences.. cheesy cheesy

173 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Oworonshoki: The Lagos Slum Where Hushpuppi Bought Food On Credit & Washed Cars by bossvinqualad25(m): 11:23pm On Jul 18, 2020
Nothing pays better earning from your own sweat,if you are in need of ileya ram and reside within lagos contact me,we sell @a pocket friendly price

15 Likes

Re: Oworonshoki: The Lagos Slum Where Hushpuppi Bought Food On Credit & Washed Cars by Passionate888: 11:48pm On Jul 18, 2020
Afonjalamia

12 Likes

Re: Oworonshoki: The Lagos Slum Where Hushpuppi Bought Food On Credit & Washed Cars by haiti007(m): 3:44am On Jul 19, 2020
undecided 15years ago (2005), I don't think cars were washed for #100.

85 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Oworonshoki: The Lagos Slum Where Hushpuppi Bought Food On Credit & Washed Cars by mkoabiola: 7:40am On Jul 19, 2020
Hussh is coming back to nja

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oworonshoki: The Lagos Slum Where Hushpuppi Bought Food On Credit & Washed Cars by phemmyfour: 7:41am On Jul 19, 2020
haiti007:
undecided 15years ago (2005), I don't think cars were washed for #100.
not a standard car wash

83 Likes

Re: Oworonshoki: The Lagos Slum Where Hushpuppi Bought Food On Credit & Washed Cars by Stanweezy(m): 7:46am On Jul 19, 2020
Hustle in legitimate way and enjoy your wealth without fear

50 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oworonshoki: The Lagos Slum Where Hushpuppi Bought Food On Credit & Washed Cars by nams77: 8:10am On Jul 19, 2020
SAMBARRY:
Smh

The holy book says a fool and his money are soon seperated

If you are a fool and you have 500 billion,if you have poverty of the mind and brain, you will loose it

Hushpupi lacks wisdom.a rich man without wisdom will still go back to square one

Another issue is that he was not a giver.how can a woman who was good to you during your broke days just give her a paltry ₦5000

If at all you're stingy you should have helped her renovate her shop and give her better equipments for her buisness since she was a kind buisness woman

This days how many food sellers sell food with compassion?
That same thing is what former ex governor of delta state, Uduaghan did. There was this old mama in his hood where he and his family goes to buy credit when hunger comes calling. He became governor and forgot about her. Really sad.

167 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Oworonshoki: The Lagos Slum Where Hushpuppi Bought Food On Credit & Washed Cars by Obakashdee(m): 8:20am On Jul 19, 2020
Useless entitled men, run away from them, he didn’t help them because they started together. Lol �

With crime money.

66 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Oworonshoki: The Lagos Slum Where Hushpuppi Bought Food On Credit & Washed Cars by SAMBARRY: 9:04am On Jul 19, 2020
nams77:

That same thing is what former ex governor of delta state, Uduaghan did. There was this old mama in his hood where he and his family goes to buy credit when hunger comes calling. He became governor and forgot about her. Really sad.
smh

Accidentally rich people with the mindset of poverty will still become poor because they lack the principles to sustainable wealth that is why the likes of Abiola will become so rich and his family/children will become broke.he was rich,he wasn't sustainably wealthy.so there was no how he could maintain his wealth

Check out people who become unexpectedly rich and aren't givers.they eventually go back to square 1.its an inevitable principle of wealth.

109 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Oworonshoki: The Lagos Slum Where Hushpuppi Bought Food On Credit & Washed Cars by SAMBARRY: 9:06am On Jul 19, 2020
mkoabiola:
Hussh is coming back to nja
maybe after 20 years

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oworonshoki: The Lagos Slum Where Hushpuppi Bought Food On Credit & Washed Cars by Olabode971(f): 9:07am On Jul 19, 2020
Hmmm... Once a poor boy became Billionaire Now behind the bar with nothing tangible to write about...

#WhatALifeInsideLife

56 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Oworonshoki: The Lagos Slum Where Hushpuppi Bought Food On Credit & Washed Cars by PureGoldh(m): 11:20am On Jul 19, 2020
Everybody gat story to tell someday

9 Likes

Re: Oworonshoki: The Lagos Slum Where Hushpuppi Bought Food On Credit & Washed Cars by Thinkamsn: 11:20am On Jul 19, 2020
Ok
Re: Oworonshoki: The Lagos Slum Where Hushpuppi Bought Food On Credit & Washed Cars by Kendumazy(m): 11:21am On Jul 19, 2020
Seriously serious.
Re: Oworonshoki: The Lagos Slum Where Hushpuppi Bought Food On Credit & Washed Cars by StagethemTVee: 11:21am On Jul 19, 2020
As evident in this article, the problem Nigerians have with corruption and stealing is that the loot has not gotten to them? Many of Hushpuppi's neighbours have no issues with the source of his wealth, they are upset he was not generous with it.

294 Likes 23 Shares

Re: Oworonshoki: The Lagos Slum Where Hushpuppi Bought Food On Credit & Washed Cars by dapsoneh: 11:21am On Jul 19, 2020
R
Re: Oworonshoki: The Lagos Slum Where Hushpuppi Bought Food On Credit & Washed Cars by SILVERLINES: 11:21am On Jul 19, 2020
cheesy
Re: Oworonshoki: The Lagos Slum Where Hushpuppi Bought Food On Credit & Washed Cars by EngineerBode: 11:21am On Jul 19, 2020
This is what they call digging deep.

You people should show us the pant Hushpuppi used to wear to play with tyre when he was 10

82 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Oworonshoki: The Lagos Slum Where Hushpuppi Bought Food On Credit & Washed Cars by texazzpete(m): 11:22am On Jul 19, 2020
Well, we will soon see the LA prison where he’ll spend the next 20 years behind bars. cheesy

13 Likes 5 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Orji Police Station Attack In Owerri, Hoodlums Share Weapons (Video) / Taraba Man Whose Wife Cut Off His Manhood Cries Out / Man Dies After Sex With A Precious, Prostitute From Akwa Ibom (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.