Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,627 members, 7,820,215 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:34 AM

We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King (17781 Views)

Obi Of Onitsha Ofala Festival 2015- PHOTOS / Evander Holyfield Visits Badagry To Trace His Roots / African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by EzeUche2(m): 4:59pm On Feb 15, 2011
Abasi means God in Ibibio and Obasi in Ekoi traditionally. But I think people use the name interchangeably now like Chineke, Chileke etc.
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by fstranger3(m): 5:02pm On Feb 15, 2011
sbeezy8:

I know someone names Obasi- but his whole name is Obasilekun- you are telling me that his name originated from Ibibio?
its not by force to claim everything it is what it is. If an American guy gets a DNA test and it comes back to being yoruba. Im not going to tell him to start learning yoruba or wear agbada LOL. Or if theres American chick who has a yoruba name Im not going to automatically think yea"she must have descended from yoruba".

Ive met enough people with Kwame name- to know that not every person who bears the name is from Ghana. Kwame kilpatrick ( Detroit mayor with sex scandal), Kwame brown( Nba player) ,

Very true, I dont even want them claiming Yoruba, it is an insult to the rest of us. But for excanny and his goons, I understand how they feel, with no real achievement and indigenous sophistication to point to, it is no surprise that they've resulted to claiming things alien to them in an attempt to continue to remain relevant .

Its just annoying as hell.You will never see Hausas and Yorubas claiming, it is Igbos desperate for acceptance that are always tryna claim.

PS: Try advocating for the  'break-up of Nigeria, you'd see my Igbo biatches tying to claim Edo too. Its in their blood.
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by sbeezy8: 5:07pm On Feb 15, 2011
fstranger3:

Very true, I dont even want them claiming Yoruba, it is an insult to the rest of us. But for excanny and his goons, I understand how they feel, with no real achievement and indigenous sophistication to point to, it is no surprise that they've resulted to claiming things alien to them in an attempt to continue to remain relevant .

Its just annoying as hell.You will never see Hausas and Yorubas claiming, it is Igbos desperate for acceptance that are always tryna claim.

PS: Try advocating for the 'break-up of Nigeria, you'd see my Igbo biatches tying to claim Edo too. Its in their blood.

igbo folks have achievement and theyre aiight I guess- they just need to stop acting kinda desperate. really weird.

like tha artcle on the net flying aroung that egbas are igbos I was like wtf ahahahahahaha LMFAO.
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by sbeezy8: 5:14pm On Feb 15, 2011
or that majority of black americans descended from Igbos - when all the DNA test of celebs I saw ranged from Ghana, sierra leone, Angola, Liberia (oprah) Nigeria etc.

they just need to relax or any and ever successful black person is Iigbo like Obama.

sbeezy8:

Nigeria: Rivers Community Claims Obama Has Nigerian Roots

Does the President-elect of America, Barack Obama, have roots in Nigeria? The Obama community in Rivers State says yes, claiming that the great-great-great grandfather of the next US President, who assumes office tomorrow, is their "kith and kin".

The community, which is in present-day Bakana in Degema Local Government Area of Rivers State, said the name "Bakana" was a Portuguese creation as their real name is "Obama" which means "Oba's kingdom" or "Oba's town". "Oba" means king. etc . . .

http://www.genealogyblog.com/?p=464

Obamas third great grandfather was from Rivers AHAHAHAHAHA LMFAO IM LAUGHING SOOO HARD RIGHT NOW.
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by fstranger3(m): 5:17pm On Feb 15, 2011
^^^^

OMG
These guys are ridiculous

Tryna make some kishi anyhow possible!
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by excanny: 5:18pm On Feb 15, 2011
fstranger3:

Now, if you have any ounce of self respect, you will prove your assertion.
If anything, it is Edos  that are trying to claim us and we have always, from the Ooni of Ife to the ordinary Yoruba on the street, tried to emphasize our differences. Go read Professor Ade Ajayi's book. Even here on NL, try reading Physics Post, get a tutor, preferably a native speaker because Physics syntax might just be too much for your Igbo brain,  careful analysis of posts on the relevant subject would impress it upon you that we do not like to claim people.

PS: That said, if claiming people into your already wretched ethnic group help you psychologically, by all means continue to do so

Big lie!    

You care to read this topic to see some of your Yoruba brothers' desperate claim for biniland.

You keep calling descendants of the skyman Oduduwa, and they've always told you they are NOT descendants of the sky-falling man. grin

Take a peep here to see how annoying your claims are.
http://nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-392592.64.htm#msg7727199
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by EzeUche2(m): 5:20pm On Feb 15, 2011
sbeezy8:

or that majority of black americans descended from Igbos - when all the DNA test of celebs I saw ranged from Ghana, sierra leone, Angola, Liberia (oprah) Nigeria etc.

they just need to relax or any and ever successful black person is Iigbo like Obama.

Obamas third great grandfather was from Rivers AHAHAHAHAHA LMFAO IM LAUGHING SOOO HARD RIGHT NOW.

You know the community claiming that his great grandfather is from Rivers is not an Igbo village.

And if an African American family is from Virginia or Maryland. Most likely they are descendants of Igbo. T.D. Jakes, Blair Underwood, Danny Glover, Forest Whitaker are all descendants of Igbos.
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by fstranger3(m): 5:21pm On Feb 15, 2011
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by fstranger3(m): 5:24pm On Feb 15, 2011
excanny:

Big lie!    

You care to read this topic to see some of your Yoruba brothers' desperate claim for biniland.

You keep calling descendants of the skyman Oduduwa, and they've always told you they are NOT descendants of the sky-falling man. grin

Take a peep here to see how annoying your claims are.
http://nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-392592.64.htm#msg7727199

You obviously have comprehension issues

Again, go read PhysicsHD posts

PS; Imma goggle Tiger woods and see if y'all have tried claiming him. I as sure you have tried.
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by EzeUche2(m): 5:27pm On Feb 15, 2011
The Bight of Biafra was one of the largest source of slaves for the Americas. English colonies focused on slaves from that region, while the Portuguese and Spanish had a lot of Yoruba slaves. There is historical evidence for that.
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by sbeezy8: 5:30pm On Feb 15, 2011
EzeUche_:

You know the community claiming that his great grandfather is from Rivers is not an Igbo village.

And if an African American family is from Virginia or Maryland. Most likely they are descendants of Igbo. T.D. Jakes, Blair Underwood, Danny Glover are all descendants of Igbos.

hahaha that means nothing where can some one come from. Was Samuel peters (egba) not brought or born in Maryland?
professor Henry Louis Gates( the Guy who did the DNA test for the celebs) dna was yoruba he was born in west virgina.

Judge hatchetts own was Yoruba and Hausa BUT I CANNOT SAY THAT PEOPLE FROM DOWN SOUTH ARE YORUBA.

I mean how do you guys reason?

EzeUche_:

The Bight of Biafra was one of the largest source of slaves for the Americas. English colonies focused on slaves from that region, while the Portuguese and Spanish had a lot of Yoruba slaves. There is historical evidence for that.

are there no other tribes in the bight of biafra- efik, Ijaw, and probably some urhobos captured taken to them.
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by excanny: 5:31pm On Feb 15, 2011
fstranger3:

And they've also claimed Michele Obama:

http://www.naijarules.com/vb/news-current-affairs-politics/31833-obamas-law-married-igbo-woman.html

Dude, calling you silly is an insult to the actually silly people. You are DUMB!

How does Michelle Obama's brother marrying an Igbo woman=Igbos claiming Michelle?

Egwe tufuo gi isi. Anuofia.

1 Like

Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by fstranger3(m): 5:32pm On Feb 15, 2011
^^^

They are all Ewus. You really cant argue with them
They are all blinded by their desperate need to be accepted
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by sbeezy8: 5:33pm On Feb 15, 2011
thats like me saying every slave taken from the bight of benin was yoruba- when theyre binis, ijaw egun nupes hausa and fulanis who left that part of africa.

common sense.
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by fstranger3(m): 5:33pm On Feb 15, 2011
excanny:

Dude, calling you silly is an insult to the actually silly people. You are DUMB!

How does Michelle Obama's brother marrying an Igbo woman=Igbos claiming Michelle?

Egwe tufuo gi isi. Anuofia.

Because there is no evidence

People made it up just to link Michele Obama with the Ibos

Comprehension problem much?
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by fstranger3(m): 5:37pm On Feb 15, 2011
And the claiming goes on and on and on:

This is another attempt at claiming Neyo, after they found out that Chamillionaire is 100% Yoruba, by my Ibo peeps:

http://bellanaija..com/2006/07/random-gist.html
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by sbeezy8: 5:38pm On Feb 15, 2011
fstranger3:

And they've also claimed Michele Obama:

http://www.naijarules.com/vb/news-current-affairs-politics/31833-obamas-law-married-igbo-woman.html

how do we know shes igbo? her name isnt even there all it says was he married a Nigerian
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by fstranger3(m): 5:43pm On Feb 15, 2011
^^^^

My Igbo people can explain better

Have you seen this? Just seeing it for the first time

http://www.compassnewspaper.com/NG/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2276:nigerians-in-us-fight-over-obama&Itemid=7966
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by sbeezy8: 5:44pm On Feb 15, 2011
taken down
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by excanny: 5:47pm On Feb 15, 2011
fstranger3:

Because there is no evidence

People made it up just to link Michele Obama with the Ibos

Comprehension problem much?

And you brought a senseless crap like that to argue your case. I was waiting for some solid evidence!

I dey laugh o. grin
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by fstranger3(m): 5:49pm On Feb 15, 2011
sbeezy8:

[img]http://www4.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Barack+Obama+Sworn+44th+President+United+States+8-kqfAaj4fWl.jpg[/img]

^^^^ the day he was sworn in with craig robinson and his "igbo wife"- i guess shes blonde and WHITE

Could she be Jewish from the state of isreal? May be thats the Igbo connection

Excanny, care to elucidate?
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by sbeezy8: 6:25pm On Feb 15, 2011
anway sha I cannot speak for all creoles. or freetown folks
I can only say what I know about the creoles who were born in Lagos and Ogun or born in freetown and moved to Lagos and Ogun- they happen to be Oku/yoruba what ever you wanna call it.

I outtie but what I love about the creoles that came to Lagos is alot were muslims i get tired of hearing about christian crusades etc. -

Like Mohammed Shitta-Bey who built shitta bey mosque and central mosque (I think) - one of the reason why Majority indigenous Lagosians are Muslims just as Ajayi crowther did his things with christians, the likes of Shitta-Bey, alhaji King etc did their things with muslims
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by excanny: 6:29pm On Feb 15, 2011
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by fstranger3(m): 6:33pm On Feb 15, 2011
excanny:

Dont Yorubas also claim nas?
http://nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-3541.32.html

With your latest post, it is obvious you are having some mental issues

Are you one of the people described in this thread?

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-548826.0.html
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by sbeezy8: 6:37pm On Feb 15, 2011
lol you must ahve been searching really hard.

no yorubas dont claim nas and that was a rumor, just like rumors appear here and there so I can undertand that.

but The journalist actually went as far as to write a WHOLE article on it. Neyos Wiki was changed to igbo(someone changed it back to african american) even his fan website. i mean theres countless other things Id rather not go in.

but Neyo said it himself he aint Nigerian. some DUM.B chick said she knows his father compound in Anambra state- shes such a fukin liar, . . .

lol
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by sbeezy8: 6:40pm On Feb 15, 2011
lol funny thread tho
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by excanny: 7:18pm On Feb 15, 2011
fstranger3:

With your latest post, it is obvious you are having some mental issues

Are you one of the people described in this thread?

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-548826.0.html

Dude, you want me to take a look at that foolish cook-up thread you created yourself.
I'm no new comer here, I know all your games here. grin

@sbeezy Search? I just logged off to get some stuff. It's public knowledge, Yorubas claim NAS. They say his Yoruba name is nasiru.

As for your defence, dont you think I can apply the same logic in the case of Neyo?

I'm Igbo and I dont claim NEYO. He has an Igbo-looking middle name 'Chimere', who gives a heck?
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by PhysicsMHD(m): 8:34pm On Feb 15, 2011
ezeagu:

I think it's nonsense to discredit him for his works and contributions to African independence because he served as a medical officer in the British Army. It is just as much as it would be nonsense for someone to discredit all that Malcom X had done because of his past as a gangster. James Beale was one of the first to speak up against White superiority and the thinking that everything African was inferior. He was one of the men who set up the foundations of what would become the independence movements in Africa. I don't need to lionize him, the man is a legend.

How is it nonsense? He had the opportunity to turn down serving as an officer to an army that was invading an independent African kingdom but he went twice to assist them. Kumasi was burned the second time. Kumasi and the Ashanti in general were an example of something that challenged ideas of black barbarity, and when the British entered Kumasi they were impressed by the palace. Then they burned the capital. Today all we have are photos of a few houses and a few reconstructed buildings. And then today they tell us that Africans were not capable of architecture - only huts.

As for setting up foundations of what would become the independence movements in Africa, I can't recall a single independence leader or movement that traced its inspiration to him. For example J.E. Casely Hayford, Edward Wilmot Blyden, and  I.T.A. Wallace-Johnson, tower over him in influencing independence movements.

As for being a legend, he's actually quite obscure in comparison with other black nationalists.

I just see a contradiction in assisting those who would occupy, burn and pillage an independent African kingdom and then going on the way he did. Let's just agree to disagree. undecided
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by PhysicsMHD(m): 9:01pm On Feb 15, 2011
excanny:
@ Physics

You are right when you say that 'Okoro' as a name is not exclusive to Igbos. You of all people should know that the Igbos, Binis, Urhobos, Isokos, Itshekiris used to have trades and wars among themselves before the advent of the British, hence the shared word. That however does not mean that a shared word has no original source.

For example, Essence(the nigerian singer) bears Okoro as her family name, yet she's Itshekiri by tribe.

The article you posted as to the origin of the name 'okoro' is a debate for  another day. But with the versatility that name is used in Igbo, I can bet it's of Igbo origin(okonkwo, okoronkwo, okoroafor, okafor, etc). No other groups using this name have different forms of the same name like this.

Additionally, the author Peter Ekeh is an Urhobo(maybe Isoko) man who was trying to be one-sided towards disclaiming an Igbo origin to the name. I'm sure if you ask him, he wouldn't even know that his own last name is still of Igbo origin.

1. The Binis, Urhobos, and Itsekiris did not have wars. Yes there was trade and intermarriage.

2. Peter Ekeh is Urhobo, not Isoko, and he was not at all one-sided toward disclaiming an Igbo origin for the names. In fact he actually posted the article because of a somewhat obnoxious Bini historian who claimed that all of Southern Nigeria got the word Okoro from the Binis, because Benin happened to have ruled all or parts of every group which happens to have the name. He was actually countering a Bini "overclaimer" and expressing his own knowledge of the word within his own culture, which he is familiar with. He is not an Igbo man, nor an Igbo scholar so there is no way he could go in depth about the significance and usage in all contexts and ramifications of Okoro to the Igbos.

In reality, you are biased towards asserting an exclusively Igbo origin to the word despite evidence to the contrary. He even stressed the similarity between the Urhobo and Igbo sense of the word:
"However, the similarities in these groups' uses of Okoro far
outweigh these tonal differences." P. Ekeh

3. Peter Ekeh is well aware that different groups in Urhoboland have different origin stories,  some of which include Igbo origins, so don't assume what he does or doesn't know about his own name.

http://books.google.com/books?id=fFdeYB1lIPwC&printsec=frontcover&dq=ekeh+origin+of+urhobo&source=bl&ots=L4WzLf0ZQN&sig=3MdC5yhTyjDB50KnFATUsCddz5M&hl=en&ei=lNdaTan7FIeEtgf1lIzwCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBMQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=igbo&f=false

Your arguments are really flawed. Every shared word has an original source if you trace it well.

Ojo(definitely Yoruba origin)

Obasi(Ibibio origin)

Olorogun(likely of Yoruba origin from the way it's constructed. Many Yoruba words look like that. E.g olorioko, olowo,olomo, etc)

I'm sorry but this is horrible reasoning. Every shared word does indeed have an original source but your identification of the original source with whichever group you are familiar with that more often uses that word for first or last names is downright ridiculous. The word Smith is used by British and Schmidt by Germans, and if through history or culture (for example, a greater number/percentage of blacksmiths and other smiths in one society than the other, leading to one group adopting it as a name much more frequently) it ends up being more prevalent for one group as a first name or last name, you will now claim that that group originated it?

In reality English (Smith) and German (Schmidt) are both Germanic languages.

In the same way, Igbo, Urhobo, Itsekiri, Esan, Yoruba, Bini etc. are all Eastern Kwa or "Volta-Niger" languages and the presence of cognates and false cognates between these languages is nothing unique or extraordinary and can't just be written off every time by assertions of war and trade or intermarriage.

For the record, ojo appears to be the word for a certain plant in Igbo:

http://books.google.com/books?id=A68qyOyhOdkC&pg=PA555&lpg=PA555&dq=ojo+igbo&source=bl&ots=BOSJiCVBtU&sig=O0QNWjaHEtjGIm_AfOWU8U9CsBg&hl=en&ei=49haTd_QDIq5tgeRzITXCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=10&ved=0CFsQ6AEwCQ#v=onepage&q=ojo%20igbo&f=false

(Not that Africans name themselves after plants grin, just showing that the sound itself is not exclusive to Yoruba. If ojo had come to mean something different in Igbo, or Igbo culture had been different (adopting plants as names, like "Rose" which some English speakers have as a name), ojo might be prevalent as an Igbo name.)
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by PhysicsMHD(m): 9:05pm On Feb 15, 2011
A prominent Igbo of Sierra Leone:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Wilmot_Blyden_III

There are probably lots of other Sierra Leone Igbos without any name indicating that they are Igbo.
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by ezeagu(m): 9:18pm On Feb 15, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

How is it nonsense? He had the opportunity to turn down serving as an officer to an army that was invading an independent African kingdom but he went twice to assist them. Kumasi was burned the second time. Kumasi and the Ashanti in general were an example of something that challenged ideas of black barbarity, and when the British entered Kumasi they were impressed by the palace. Then they burned the capital. Today all we have are photos of a few houses and a few reconstructed buildings. And then today they tell us that Africans were not capable of architecture - only huts.

The Ashanti held slaves up until the wars, does that take away from their contributions to African society?

PhysicsMHD:

As for setting up foundations of what would become the independence movements in Africa, I can't recall a single independence leader or movement that traced its inspiration to him. For example J.E. Casely Hayford, Edward Wilmot Blyden, and  I.T.A. Wallace-Johnson, tower over him in influencing independence movements.

As for being a legend, he's actually quite obscure in comparison with other black nationalists.

He is recognised in history, that is how he influenced thoughts against European supremacy and oppression, the fact that he served in the British Army should not discredit any of the contributions he made, just like the possibly bad decisions other great people in history have made. Leave it at that.
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by PhysicsMHD(m): 9:25pm On Feb 15, 2011
ezeagu:

The Ashanti held slaves up until the wars, does that take away from their contributions to African society?

Yeah, it actually does. undecided No doubt that's why they're apologizing to AAs today.

I don't think everything they had should have been burnt to shreds though.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Edwin Azike, Kidnapped Imo Monarch Killed, Body Dumped In Market Square / Oba Babatunde Ajayi Installed As Akarigbo Of Remo Land (Live Pictures) / Canadian Igbo Jew Explains Why Igbo Are Jews

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.