Stats: 3,150,688 members, 7,809,604 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:53 AM

We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King (17737 Views)

Obi Of Onitsha Ofala Festival 2015- PHOTOS / Evander Holyfield Visits Badagry To Trace His Roots / African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by sbeezy8: 12:08am On Feb 15, 2011
@mukina

Infact its weird I just noticed my cuzzos dont call themselves Nigerian but say they are from sierre leone if people ask dem where they are from.
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by mukina2: 12:15am On Feb 15, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Krio             "ọkọrọ"
Igbo (Ngwa) "ọkwọrọ"

Name for "okro"/"okra" (a name originating from the Igbo words for it).

. . . just so you had an idea.
ehn i have no problem with the names being similar but this guys are making it seem like igbos are the only ones with 'okoro' name.

sbeezy8:

yea im a Lagos boy/yankee guy but its most of the uncles and aunts who were born in freetown later moved to Naija.

sbeezy8:

@mukina

Infact its weird I just noticed my cuzzos dont call themselves Nigerian but say they are from sierre leone if people ask dem where they are from.
ok, there are lots of Nigerians in Freetown, especially Foulah town/central area, hausas/yorubas mostly, we had plenty in our street, some never moved back and you wont even know they are Nigerians, you'll mistake them for s/leoneans. i am not surprised grin some never even say they are Nigerians.

dayokanu:

Mukina2 is from Ogbomoso  cool cool
ehn ehn tongue cool
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by fstranger3(m): 12:18am On Feb 15, 2011
^^^^

The Yorubas in Sierra Leone, how do/did they fare politically?
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by mukina2: 12:34am On Feb 15, 2011
Politics in sierra Leone can be defined as 'a round peg in a square hole' lipsrsealed, and it is tight race between temne and mende the two largest ethnic groups.
Other ethnic groups come close but nothing major smiley
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by sbeezy8: 12:45am On Feb 15, 2011
mukina2:

ehn i have no problem with the names being similar but this guys are making it seem like igbos are the only ones with 'okoro' name.
ok, there are lots of Nigerians in Freetown, especially Foulah town/central area, hausas/yorubas mostly, we had plenty in our street, some never moved back and you wont even know they are Nigerians, you'll mistake them for s/leoneans. i am not surprised grin some never even say they are Nigerians.
ehn ehn tongue cool

lipsrsealed I wouldnt even call them Nigerian ewww dayum I wish my parents came from some other country where some yoruba speakers are like Benin togo ghana, SALONE(after the war) LOL  SOMETIN anytin but Nigeria

mukina2:

Politics in sierra Leone can be defined as 'a round peg in a square hole' lipsrsealed, and it is tight race between temne and mende the two largest ethnic groups.
Other ethnic groups come close but nothing major smiley

yea like  folks with the name Kamara Koroma Bah Sesay Conteh (theres alot where I live)- I think Jalloh is a fulani name  not sure some look fulani some dont well i dont know what fulani loks like since some are dark some are light

what are you ?
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by mukina2: 12:55am On Feb 15, 2011
sbeezy8:

lipsrsealed I wouldnt even call them Nigerian ewww dayum I wish my parents came from some other country where some yoruba speakers are like Benin togo ghana, SALONE(after the war) LOL  SOMETIN anytin but Nigeria
lol salone was nice too na before the war and its still nice cool   cool

sbeezy8:

yea like  folks with the name Kamara Koroma Bah Sesay Conteh (theres alot where I live)- I think Jalloh is a fulani name  not sure some look fulani some dont well i dont know what fulani loks like since some are dark some are light

what are you ?
Jalloh is Fula. They are mostly from Guinea Conakry. They are mostly light skinned too.

Lol leave those surnames alone oh angry grin cool

I am Temne on one side and oku/mende on the other side.
Most days i  just say i am temne, when the grandmas start saying things in oku to us in public grin ( the kinda thing that will want to make you want to disappear), i just say i am temne thank you (jokingly oh) lol grin and na serious cussing go follow after grin the lectures resume then grin i gave birth to your this and that you are this blah blah grin
and being oku your extended family never ends shocked, everyone is your aunt/uncle/relative grin
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by sbeezy8: 1:12am On Feb 15, 2011
mukina2:

lol salone was nice too na before the war and its still nice cool   cool
Jalloh is Fula. They are mostly from Guinea Conakry. They are mostly light skinned too.

Lol leave those surnames alone oh angry grin cool

I am Temne on one side and oku/mende on the other side.
Most days i  just say i am temne, when the grandmas start saying things in oku to us in public grin ( the kinda thing that will want to make you want to disappear), i just say i am temne thank you (jokingly oh) lol grin and na serious cussing go follow after grin the lectures resume then grin i gave birth to your this and that you are this blah blah grin
and being oku your extended family never ends shocked, everyone is your aunt/uncle/relative grin

lol do you have an Oku name ? you understand Oku ? If a Nigerian yoruba was to speak some "yoruba" "Oku/Aku" would you be able to like understand it ?

The creole FAM I know well my aunts and uncles can only understand and speak the lanuguage(Yoruba) because they either have Nigerian "yoruba" mothers or went to schools in Lagos. and I guess when they got to nigeria they didnt call themselves Oku they called themselves yoruba instead- I guess cause that what everyone started calling themselves at one point or another for unity among the language speakers.
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by mukina2: 1:22am On Feb 15, 2011
wetin u wan take my oku name do grin i dunno if i have one jor grin
I can understand some of it not all, the pronunciation sef varies.
Most of the words  mixed with daily krio sef has oku in it.

Like my grandma will say 'hurry oh Ojo want sokaleh '. when its about to rain or she'll say time for 'elaykew' . Sometimes we pretend we do not understand, and when the cane comes out we say we forgot what t meant grin
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by ezeagu(m): 1:46am On Feb 15, 2011
mukina2:

Sweetie save the snide comments for yourself,do not have time for snide attacks or personal attacks, just keep everything within forum rules aight? wink go grab a glass of cold water, drink that and chill.

What personal attack? Did you not say Okoro is not an Igbo name? Or maybe it must be Temne. First you said Krio people randomly chose Igbo names because of fairytales about heroes and villains, then you tried to imply the Krio people are called Oku and then your final one is to say that people are calling themselves after food. Don't come to me with this again.
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by sbeezy8: 1:54am On Feb 15, 2011
mukina2:

wetin u wan take my oku name do grin i dunno if i have one jor grin
I can understand some of it not all, the pronunciation sef varies.
Most of the words  mixed with daily krio sef has oku in it.

Like my grandma will say 'hurry oh Ojo want sokaleh '. when its about to rain or she'll say time for 'elaykew' . Sometimes we pretend we do not understand, and when the cane comes out we say we forgot what t meant grin

I know Ojo = rain wink
I busted out laughing when I saw "Sokaleh" at first I was like wtf is dat  grin then I thought OHHHHH "so kale"  LMFAO

hahaha yea I totally get you  grin thats something a Lagos person who learned english IN Lagos would say. I think its the creole returnees that tought english to the rest of yoruba peeps . cause the way we in Lagos(yoruba) speak broken is different from the rest of Naija.

lolz
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by mukina2: 2:04am On Feb 15, 2011
ezeagu:

What personal attack? Did you not say Okoro is not an Igbo name? Or maybe it must be Temne. First you said Krio people randomly chose Igbo names because of fairytales about heroes and villains, then you tried to imply the Krio people are called Oku and then your final one is to say that people are calling themselves after food. Don't come to me with this again.

its obvious you didnt read all that i typed before now. sorry i cannot help you there smiley

If you read and understood all i typed you'll notice that i said

-Okoro is not an igbo name (its not every 'igbo' sounding name you guys have to claim)
- That Oku /creole are more related to yorubas
- and the example for heroes/viallins was in response to the guy who assumed my uncle is igbo related because of the 'ojukwu' name
-That there is no igbo tribe in freetown

Just like you have pidgin  in Nigeria that everyone can speak,  we also have krio that everyone can speak.
Creole is the tribe and the language is krio, which is also the lingua franca of the republic of Sierra Leone.

Okoro/okro means okra in krio too
do you understand well now? smiley

sbeezy8:

I know Ojo = rain wink
I busted out laughing when I saw "Sokaleh" at first I was like wtf is dat  grin then I thought OHHHHH "so kale"  LMFAO

hahaha yea I totally get you  grin thats something a Lagos person who learned english IN Lagos would say. I think its the creole returnees that tought english to the rest of yoruba peeps . cause the way we in Lagos(yoruba) speak broken is different from the rest of Naija.

lolz
lol yeah you see the spellings/ pronunciation problem wink
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by duduspace(m): 2:18am On Feb 15, 2011
dayokanu:

Mukina2 is from Ogbomoso  cool cool
What do yu mean? she is an ekiti girl joo. Okun o Muki, bami ki ian ira ule o. kare momi atata.
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by ezeagu(m): 3:09am On Feb 15, 2011
mukina2:

its obvious you didnt read all that i typed before now. sorry i cannot help you there smiley

If you read and understood all i typed you'll notice that i said

-Okoro is not an igbo name (its not every 'igbo' sounding name you guys have to claim)
- That Oku /creole are more related to yorubas
- and the example for heroes/viallins was in response to the guy who assumed my uncle is igbo related because of the 'ojukwu' name
-That there is no igbo tribe in freetown

Just like you have pidgin  in Nigeria that everyone can speak,  we also have krio that everyone can speak.
Creole is the tribe and the language is krio, which is also the lingua franca of the republic of Sierra Leone.

Okoro/okro means okra in krio too
do you understand well now? smiley

Here's my own

- Saying Okoro is not an Igbo name without providing the source of the name is confusing, especially with the massive amount of influence of the Igbo descendants in Sierra Leone, (Ibo Unions, Isuama language etc)
- Not all Creole people identify as Oku just because you do.
- There are Igbo descendants in Freetown and other parts of the country, just like you have Hausa and Yoruba descendants. No one claimed there's an "Igbo tribe" in Freetown, you just implied that.
- I doubt somebody will name themselves after a vegetable, unless there are people also called Egusi, Ukasi, jigbor, and Akpu.
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by fstranger3(m): 3:15am On Feb 15, 2011
ezeagu:

Here's my own

- Saying Okoro is not an Igbo name without providing the source of the name is confusing, especially with the massive amount of influence of the Igbo descendants in Sierra Leone, (Ibo Unions, Isuama language etc)
- Not all Creole people identify as Oku just because you do.
- There are Igbo descendants in Freetown and other parts of the country, just like you have Hausa and Yoruba descendants. No one claimed there's an "Igbo tribe" in Freetown, you just implied that.
- I doubt somebody will name themselves after a vegetable, unless there are people also called Egusi, Ukasi, jigbor, and Akpu.

The thread has been fun so far, well, except for your belligerent attitude. Cant we have some peace. Have you ever been to SL, she is from there, take it as is and move on.

Why must you bring your belligerent attitude to everywhere you go. NL is not about Igbos alone you know

Quit your childish attitude and go look for other people to claim, will ya?

So far this thread has been educational: we now know that there are no Igbo tribes in SL, contrary to what some Igbo revisionists might want to have us
believe.

If you cant enjoy this thread without fighting, please go do a somersault on the Third Mainland Bridge.

Anuofia you and your people! Too much claim claim. . . haba
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by ezeagu(m): 3:18am On Feb 15, 2011
fstranger3:

The thread has been fun so far, well, except for your belligerent attitude. Cant we have some peace. Have you ever been to SL, she is from there, take it as is and move on.

Why must you bring your belligerent attitude to everywhere you go. NL is not about Igbos alone you know

Quit your childish attitude and go look for other people to claim, will ya?

So far this thread has been educational: we now know that there are no Igbo tribes in SL, contrary to what some Igbo revisionists might want to have us
believe.

If you cant enjoy this thread without fighting, please go do a somersault on the Third Mainland Bridge.

Anuofia you and your people! Too much claim claim.   .   .   haba

The thing that is maddening you, let it continue to madden you in the name of the Igbo ancestors of the Krio people, Ise!!!
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by fstranger3(m): 3:19am On Feb 15, 2011
ezeagu:

The thing that is maddening you, let it continue to madden you in the name of the Igbo ancestors of the Krio people, Ise!!!

What else is new?

Igbos own SA?
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by ezeagu(m): 3:22am On Feb 15, 2011
fstranger3:

What else is new?

Igbos own SA?

Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by aljharem11(m): 3:25am On Feb 15, 2011
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

fstranger is so funny grin grin grin grin grin
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by fstranger3(m): 3:29am On Feb 15, 2011
alj harem1:

fstranger is so funny grin grin grin grin grin

I tire for this guy o, Alhaji

If you dont stop them now, they might want to claim Borno too grin
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by aljharem11(m): 3:31am On Feb 15, 2011
fstranger3:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

i know grin grin grin grin grin, i mean chyz even said there are indigeous igbos in gabon, USA and finland

funny things happen on NL cheesy grin grin grin
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by duduspace(m): 3:32am On Feb 15, 2011
fstranger3:

If ezeagu was american, he would have claimed the moon by now.  grin
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by ezeagu(m): 3:47am On Feb 15, 2011
May all the Ojukwu's, Okoro's, Kanu's, Okrafor's and all of the Igbo Creole families of Sierra Leone live long, your presence in Freetown and the rest of Sierra Leone shall be everlasting, no matter how much enemy's try to eliminate your names. May they continue in endless frustration.

I salute James Beale, significant contributor to the Ibo Freetown Union of the 1800's, prominent surgeon, and overall skilled and talented man:

Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by aljharem11(m): 3:53am On Feb 15, 2011
^^^^^^

c'mon undecided sad
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by fstranger3(m): 3:58am On Feb 15, 2011
ezeagu:

May all the Ojukwu's, Okoro's, Kanu's, Okrafor's and all of the Igbo Creole families of Sierra Leone live long, your presence in Freetown and the rest of Sierra Leone shall be everlasting, no matter how much enemy's try to eliminate your names. May they continue in endless frustration.

I salute James Beale, significant contributor to the Ibo Freetown Union of the 1800's, prominent surgeon, and overall skilled and talented man:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Africanus_Horton
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by ezeagu(m): 4:05am On Feb 15, 2011
Kaybam20, huh? What a sad case.
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by ezeagu(m): 4:09am On Feb 15, 2011
[size=18pt]I salute James "Africanus Horton" Beale, a prominent member of the Ibo Union of Sierra Leone in the 1800's, and an elite member of the Creole society.[/size]

[center][/center]

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=OuKo7gSi2soC&pg=PA185&dq=james+africanus+horton+igbo&hl=en&ei=--1ZTe63FITLhAf8jpjWDQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCkQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=james%20africanus%20horton%20igbo&f=false

[size=18pt]"The first African to graduate as a Doctor of Medicine from Edinburgh University"

"Horton's parents, both Igbo"[/size]

Let them knack their head against the wall.
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by PhysicsHD: 4:13am On Feb 15, 2011
lol, Africanus Horton was a stooge for the British. He went with the British to pacify the Ashanti and then turned around and started yapping about African nationalism and independence. Clown.

Anyway, this thread shouldn't have turned out the way it did. There were definitely Igbo Sierra Leone people in olden times and up to the present time, although, like Yorubas in some countries other than Nigeria, they may not identify themselves under the label of Igbo.
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by fstranger3(m): 4:14am On Feb 15, 2011
^^^
ezeagu:

[size=18pt]I salute James "Africanus Horton" Beale, a prominent member of the Ibo Union of Sierra Leone in the 1800's, and an elite member of the Creole society.[/size]

[center][/center]

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=OuKo7gSi2soC&pg=PA185&dq=james+africanus+horton+igbo&hl=en&ei=--1ZTe63FITLhAf8jpjWDQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCkQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=james%20africanus%20horton%20igbo&f=false

[size=18pt]"The first African to graduate as a Doctor of Medicine from Edinburgh University"

"Horton's parents, both Igbo"[/size]

Let them knack their head against the wall.
WHat year and whats his Ibo name

Stop claiming people ok?
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by ezeagu(m): 4:15am On Feb 15, 2011
fstranger3:

^^^WHat year and whats his Ibo name

Stop claiming people ok?

Kaybam20, Panadol will solve your problem.
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by ezeagu(m): 4:18am On Feb 15, 2011
PhysicsHD:

lol, Africanus Horton was a stooge for the British. He went with the British to pacify the Ashanti and then turned around and started yapping about African nationalism and independence. Clown.

I thought he was a medical officer in the British Army? What role did he have in pacifying the Ashanti except treating soldiers?
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by fstranger3(m): 4:20am On Feb 15, 2011
PhysicsHD:

Very typical

Master of double speaks, just like Azikiwe and Ojukwu
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by PhysicsHD: 4:32am On Feb 15, 2011
ezeagu:

I thought he was a medical officer in the British Army? What role did he have in pacifying the Ashanti except treating soldiers?

It was not mandatory, not necessary, not obligatory that he join the British Army. If he was assigned, as a medical officer, to the British expedition sent to pacify the Ashanti without his specifically requesting that assignment, he could have easily turned it down as nobody was forcing his hand.

I see a blatant lack of integrity in assisting those who burned down Kumasi, and then going on to become some African nationalist, but that's just my opinion. You're welcome to lionize him if you wish.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Oba Babatunde Ajayi Installed As Akarigbo Of Remo Land (Live Pictures) / Edwin Azike, Kidnapped Imo Monarch Killed, Body Dumped In Market Square / Canadian Igbo Jew Explains Why Igbo Are Jews

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82