Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,624 members, 7,820,211 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:28 AM

V/i Lekki Ajah Axis Is Definitely Not Nigeria? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / V/i Lekki Ajah Axis Is Definitely Not Nigeria? (6070 Views)

President Buhari Not Nigeria’s First Leader At Blair House - The FCT Post / Dear Dr Bukola Saraki,(This is definitely NOT the CHANGE we voted for!) / I Might Not Be Perfect, But Buhari Is Definitely Not An Option – President Jonat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: V/i Lekki Ajah Axis Is Definitely Not Nigeria? by ekubear1: 9:29pm On Feb 14, 2011
Those pics of Zimbabwe look phenomenal.

And that is primarily agricultural money, I guess?

Nothing else that Zimbabwe really produces, right?
Re: V/i Lekki Ajah Axis Is Definitely Not Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:28am On Feb 15, 2011
When the real estate bubble bursts in Nigeria, what happened in the US / UK will be like child's play!! Imagine plots of land on Banana Island retailing for N450 million ($3 million) and to nearly a Billion Naira ($ 7 million) for old Ikoyi. That is the kind of money you would shell out for mansions in Malibu, CA or ocean front mansions in Hawaii. The stock market crash hasnt taught us a lesson undecided

Enjoy it while it lasts tongue
Re: V/i Lekki Ajah Axis Is Definitely Not Nigeria? by ekubear1: 2:31am On Feb 15, 2011
kalokalo:

When the real estate bubble bursts in Nigeria, what happened in the US / UK will be like child's play!! Imagine plots of land on Banana Island retailing for N450 million ($3 million) and to nearly a Billion Naira ($ 7 million) for old Ikoyi. That is the kind of money you would shell out for mansions in Malibu, CA or ocean front mansions in Hawaii. The stock market crash hasnt taught us a lesson undecided

Enjoy it while it lasts tongue

Nigeria is far more densely populated than the US, though. Especially Lagos. Also, given the cash and carry nature of society, seems less likely that this is a bubble but genuine demand vs. supply (compare to the US housing bubble was in part caused by easy credit, where you could buy homes with no money down, no interest payments for a few months. . . )

So not sure that the two situations are fundamentally the same.
Re: V/i Lekki Ajah Axis Is Definitely Not Nigeria? by SEFAGO(m): 2:50am On Feb 15, 2011
I agree. Kalokalo, in Nigeria people put down the cash for these houses at once. Like honestly they just drop the dough once and for all.

bros naija people don surpass levels man. I dont know anyone who buys their houses on mortgage. Mortgage na oyibo financial tool.

Also this has been going on for years before the US craze- I had the opportunity just before yawa burst to watch some Nigerians partaking in the credit craze in maryland, new jersey and florida- buying houses on credit and then renting them out to people to pay the mortgages back on the other houses. Sick stuff, it was like gambling.

Also in terms of houses as investment in Nigeria- I partially disagree. The fact is that people in Nigeria love to build there own houses instead of buying them off someone, so even if you buy tons of houses as investments they cannot be easily converted to cash. Most people would prefer to buy land (so land is really more of an asset) in a prime area than buy land with an already built structure. So thats why I think buying houses in multiple locations except you plan to rent them could be a bit excessive.
Re: V/i Lekki Ajah Axis Is Definitely Not Nigeria? by ekubear1: 7:10am On Feb 15, 2011
SEFAGO:

Also in terms of houses as investment in Nigeria- I partially disagree. The fact is that people in Nigeria love to build there own houses instead of buying them off someone, so even if you buy tons of houses as investments they cannot be easily converted to cash. Most people would prefer to buy land (so land is really more of an asset) in a prime area than buy land with an already built structure. So thats why I think buying houses in multiple locations except you plan to rent them could be a bit excessive.
This I'm not sure can be true. I don't have data one way or another though.
Re: V/i Lekki Ajah Axis Is Definitely Not Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 11:21am On Feb 15, 2011
SEFAGO:

Not really. Only a tiny percent of the potential real estate market is interested in actually building their own place. That's in the old days, and maybe the very premium end of the market, i.e. the guys who have millions of dollars to burn. Most people would rather buy a functional housing unit, given the availability of funds for mortgage as well as presence of amenities. Most working class Nigerians in the middle income bracket now prefer to live close to their jobs, which is why the Lekki Ajah end of town is hot right now. Gated communities, with water, power, and good roads network, not to mention security, is their priority, not really building their own house.

In fact, on the Lekki axis, there are tons and tons of unfinished estate development, targeted at the middle income bracket. Most of them were/are still package deals, with mortgage financing built in, and people were snapping them up before the banking crisis hit. Some of the more solvent banks are still doing tidy business in that sector till now. It's just that the market dynamics have changed right now. Even government is trying to get into the action by revamping the FMBN, and repackaging their housing fund.
Re: V/i Lekki Ajah Axis Is Definitely Not Nigeria? by DeeJay20: 1:28pm On Feb 15, 2011
SEFAGO:

I agree the kids there are American/britico wanna be.

If you go to some places you will think you are abroad

1) they steal our money (government officials)
2) Most work in ExxonMobil and Chevron Texaco and hold managemnet positions in these companies. They are also "expatriates"   grin, most of them studied abroad, then worked for sometime and then came back to Nigeria and are hired by MNC at disgusting amounts of money
3) They work in our failing banks in positions such capacities as MD/CEO
4) Old Money (Yes we have some of them in Nigeria who started the stealing and looting quite early such as the Ibrus and Abebes (Stella obasanjo family)

e.t.c

Yep inequality in Nigeria is just mind-boggling. Abeg you should return quickly and go and chop your own money. Nothing dey obodo-oyinbo that cannot be matched.

However have humility, and be friendly with everyone because you dont know who will help you.

CO-SIGN, u r definitely right on the Money!!!
That place is becoming another world, and the way you broke
down the SOCIAL - LADDER there is soooo trueeee!!!
Re: V/i Lekki Ajah Axis Is Definitely Not Nigeria? by DeeJay20: 2:04pm On Feb 15, 2011
evilspirit:

what is MNC?

MNC (Multi-National Corporation)
Re: V/i Lekki Ajah Axis Is Definitely Not Nigeria? by buzugee(m): 8:15pm On Feb 15, 2011
am sick and tired of fugazi nuccaz like bkbabe speaking on shytt they know nothing about angry i am something of a connoisseur of the waldorf astoria. this is my home turf. i know what happens in there. like i said, those prices are half of the waldorf astoria, http://www.frommers.com/destinations/newyorkcity/H31093.html check link angry
Re: V/i Lekki Ajah Axis Is Definitely Not Nigeria? by bkbabe97y(m): 11:12am On Feb 18, 2011
buzugee:

am sick and tired of fugazi nuccaz like bkbabe speaking on shytt they know nothing about angry i am something of a connoisseur of the waldorf astoria. this is my home turf. i know what happens in there. like i said, those prices are half of the waldorf astoria, http://www.frommers.com/destinations/newyorkcity/H31093.html check link angry

Cry yourself hoarse! Home Turf ur left nut!

He uses words like "fugazi nuccaz" and he expects us to believe he ever been anywhere near The Waldorf!

Dude, the closest uve been to The Waldorf is seeing King Jaffe Joffer entering it on Coming To America!
Re: V/i Lekki Ajah Axis Is Definitely Not Nigeria? by phantom(m): 11:49am On Feb 18, 2011
bk.babe97y:

Cry yourself hoarse! Home Turf your left nut!

He uses words like "fugazi nuccaz" and he expects us to believe he ever been anywhere near The Waldorf!

Dude, the closest uve been to The Waldorf is seeing King Jaffe Joffer entering it on Coming To America!
grin grin grin grin grin, Fcking slowpoke!!
Re: V/i Lekki Ajah Axis Is Definitely Not Nigeria? by buzugee(m): 2:20pm On Feb 18, 2011
bk.babe97y:

Cry yourself hoarse! Home Turf your left nut!

grin cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is There Anything You Like About Nigeria? / Why I Support Gej..... / In Defence Of The South South And South East Political Choice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.