Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,343 members, 7,819,203 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:43 PM

Help Me Find A Permanent Solution To My Overheating Car - Car Talk (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help Me Find A Permanent Solution To My Overheating Car (30994 Views)

Overheating: Car Still Not Working After Gasket Replacement / You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. / Is There A Permanent Solution To This Shock Absorber Linkage Problems? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help Me Find A Permanent Solution To My Overheating Car by 9icetoo(m): 9:37am On Aug 17, 2020
mdchikezie:

My brother thank you, that's what I was telling him about thermostat and an ignorant idiot here that don't know anything about WATERPUMP is telling him to put back the thermostat.
You are ignorant. Sorry about what I said but it is true.
The thermostat has a function and is not part of the water pump. You couldn't even read and understand what you posted.

You are a part dealer, that doesn't make you an authority when it comes to how cars work. You merely fix prices to your goods but do not know how they work. Stick to what you know.
Re: Help Me Find A Permanent Solution To My Overheating Car by 9icetoo(m): 9:50am On Aug 17, 2020
7pages:

I have been finding his attention since, I guess he's occupied lately. I just sent him a PM

thanks bro
I don't think he works on volkswagens yet.
But keep trying you might get his attention.

On the over heating part, start with the basics.
1. Flush your radiator (internally and externally).
2. Replace the reservoir tank cover or the o-ring on the cover.
3. Replace your thermostat (at this point, I assume you cannot test it. The test is simple, put it in boiling water, if the spring retracts and opens the sealing disc, it's good).
4. Make sure your fans are spinning in the right direction (at the right speed) and don't cut out intermittently.
If all these fail, then proceed to the following:
1. Check your water pump. Volume and flow rate. Mechanics know how to do this
2. Pressure test the system and locate any source of leak if any (I read you top up water regularly so you should also consider doing this as part of the basics stated above).

My brothers golf had a funny overheating episode once. It turns out to be an electrical problem.

The inner light switch short circuited after his bulb burnt.
Any time he enters a small pot hole, the inner light switch short circuits, the fan fuse blows, the fans stop turning and the car starts overheating.
It took a while and so many episodes for us to discover this link quite by accident.

In essence, I am saying, make sure your fans work as they should and do not stop working because of other faults in the car.

Don't mind the guy that said you should remove your thermostat. I have thermostats on my cars and that of nuclear family, I have convinced friends to reinstall theirs and I am yet to see any of those cars overheat because of thermostat.
Re: Help Me Find A Permanent Solution To My Overheating Car by karama22(m): 10:00am On Aug 17, 2020
Change the bottle cover, i.e the place u are putting water. If u didn't understand drop Ur no. I will call u
Re: Help Me Find A Permanent Solution To My Overheating Car by 7pages(m): 10:22am On Aug 17, 2020
9icetoo:

I don't think he works on volkswagens yet.
But keep trying you might get his attention.

On the over heating part, start with the basics.
1. Flush your radiator (internally and externally).
2. Replace the reservoir tank cover or the o-ring on the cover.
3. Replace your thermostat (at this point, I assume you cannot test it. The test is simple, put it in boiling water, if the spring retracts and opens the sealing disc, it's good).
4. Make sure your fans are spinning in the right direction (at the right speed) and don't cut out intermittently.
If all these fail, then proceed to the following:
1. Check your water pump. Volume and flow rate. Mechanics know how to do this
2. Pressure test the system and locate any source of leak if any (I read you top up water regularly so you should also consider doing this as part of the basics stated above).

My brothers golf had a funny overheating episode once. It turns out to be an electrical problem.

The inner light switch short circuited after his bulb burnt.
Any time he enters a small pot hole, the inner light switch short circuits, the fan fuse blows, the fans stop turning and the car starts overheating.
It took a while and so many episodes for us to discover this link quite by accident.

In essence, I am saying, make sure your fans work as they should and do not stop working because of other faults in the car.

Don't mind the guy that said you should remove your thermostat. I have thermostats on my cars and that of nuclear family, I have convinced friends to reinstall theirs and I am yet to see any of those cars overheat because of thermostat.

thanks for reaching out, I just got to know that the water pump belt has cut and their is a bend Tin in the water pump. this bend cut the belt according to the mechanic

he will help me to straight the water pump where belt is station then I'll change the belt first and check what next
Re: Help Me Find A Permanent Solution To My Overheating Car by 7pages(m): 10:25am On Aug 17, 2020
karama22:
Change the bottle cover, i.e the place u are putting water. If u didn't understand drop Ur no. I will call u

0 8 0 6 9 4 1 7 0 7 5

thanks bro
Re: Help Me Find A Permanent Solution To My Overheating Car by 7pages(m): 10:28am On Aug 17, 2020
9icetoo:

The thermostat has a function and is not part of the water pump. You couldn't even read and understand what you posted.

You are a part dealer, that doesn't make you an authority when it comes to how cars work. You merely fix prices to your goods but do not know how they work. Stick to what you know.

we learn everyday thanks for the insight. I got to know the water pump belt cut and there is a bend in the water pump that made the belt to cut, the mechanic will help me to straight it and I will get the belt

can that water pump belt that cut caused over heating. they said there is nothing wrong with my radiator though after fixing it I'm taking it to expert engineer to prevent any future occurrences
Re: Help Me Find A Permanent Solution To My Overheating Car by 7pages(m): 10:47am On Aug 17, 2020
[quote author=hacops post=92910422][/quote]

Can you please provide the following informations
1. How long ago did you flush your radiator both inside and outside.
2. Can you get another radiator cover.
3. Are your fans working correctly , by sucking air from the grill side if you put a paper.
4 Is the thermometer working can your mechanic remove and test inside hot water bath.
5, Can you bring it to Lagos around Idimu, so we can help you with free labour, but you buy all you need.
Trust me ,the problemis redeemable.
Regards

I bought the car as fairly used from the owner 2 months ago, so haven't flush it since then

2. yes I can if need be

3. the fan stop working when it over heated the second time

4. I will tell him to do the test

5. yes I can

but I want to ask you a question, can belt pump that cut caused over heating
Re: Help Me Find A Permanent Solution To My Overheating Car by mdchikezie(m): 11:40am On Aug 17, 2020
9icetoo:

I thought anyone who had a thing or two to write here had as much as common sense.
Turns out I was wrong.

Stop talking about what you know nothing about and learn, it's that simple.

There is a thermostat in a vw old models WATERPUMPs that's usually removed as it's bought.
I don't know about any other car brand, I am talking about what I deal on.
Are you this deluded?

New ones don't have it as they come and no mechanic would come looking for golf or passat or jetta WATERPUMP thermostat.

Stop confusing people here and say what you FUCKIING know about.
Nobody forced you for your opinion
Re: Help Me Find A Permanent Solution To My Overheating Car by jay7(m): 11:55am On Aug 17, 2020
7pages:

3. Are your fans working correctly , by sucking air from the grill side if you put a paper.
4 Is the thermometer working can your mechanic remove and test inside hot water bath.
5, Can you bring it to Lagos around Idimu, so we can help you with free labour, but you buy all you need.
Regards

I bought the car as fairly used from the owner 2 months ago, so haven't flush it since then

2. yes I can if need be

5. yes I can

@7pages if water pump is leaking seriously, it can cause overheating
Re: Help Me Find A Permanent Solution To My Overheating Car by klbakare(m): 12:22pm On Aug 17, 2020
Don't stress my brother. I see you have e a good car there. Don't listen to anybody saying change thermostat. Remove the thermostat, you don't need it for a commercial run golf 3. E get why. For the overheating. To solve overheating problems, we must start from the least problems to the highest. So follow these simple steps.

1. Check if your water pump is running very fine, i mean sufficiently fine. Good v/w mechanics have a way they check. If it runs fine, leave it, otherwise, you will change.

2. Check all water hoses to ensure none is leaking, if any is leaking, change them and put clip where necessary at various insertion points. This is very important because your cooling system must be 100% air tight. No external air must get into your cooling system and air must not escape so that it doesn't loose pressure. Water in vehicle engines boil above 100 degrees. If you loose pressure you will get overheating shaperly.

3. Your temperature gauge must be working 100% so that, at the first sign of that low coolant levels that flashes on the dashboard, you will be able to park and ensure no damage
To your engine or car.

4. The next thing is return. Let them check that the radiator is returning water suffiently into the expansion water reservoir. (that plastic that you always put water in your car). Ensure there is a clip on the return hose too.

5. Check that your fan is blowing correctly and at the correct side. Your fan could be blowing but be blowing wrongly. That way it blows out air instead of sucking it in. Put nylon at the grill, if it sticks your fan is doing well. If there is no relay there yet, tell rewire to add relay for maximum speed. If your fan is bad, change it. But this time, if it is single fan, buy the double type.

6. Anytime your temperature gauge starts rising close to the point where it will overheat, pull over, don't off the engine, open your bonnet and check if your fan is still working, if water is not leaking anywhere. Because that's the time you can ascertain all those things.

7. Now, after that, if you still overheat. Change your radiator. Don't wash it. If it is single cell, buy 2-cell. If it was 2-cell, buy the same 2-cell.

8. The gasket is the last step. The reason is, if when you put water in your radiator, it does not enter your engine oil. Then it may not be your gasket. However, if at first sign, you discover your engine oil is milky, your gasket don burn be that. Otherwise let gasket replacement be the last step you'll take. Hot spot could form on your gasket. And it could cause boiling too. Nigerian mechos will say "gasket ti flat". Now if you have ringed your engine before, they will use double gasket, that one no dey flat easily but it can burn. But if you've never fixed the engine before, the gasket could be flat true true cos na single gasket oyinbo man dey put. So keep me posted.

9. No dey overfill your radiation reservoir with water. Stay safe. P. S where be your route?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Help Me Find A Permanent Solution To My Overheating Car by bigsam4lov(m): 12:57pm On Aug 17, 2020
bro change top gasket asap. and also d thermostat u will be good
Re: Help Me Find A Permanent Solution To My Overheating Car by 7pages(m): 2:40pm On Aug 17, 2020
jay7:

@7pages if water pump is leaking seriously, it can cause overheating

Thanks bro

The belt in the water pump cut the reason the car was overheating

I can't start mentioning you guys but your input had not only provide solutions to my over heating car but had educate me much about cars

May we all continue to succeed in all our endeavors. Much Blessing guys

1 Like

Re: Help Me Find A Permanent Solution To My Overheating Car by hacops: 2:42pm On Aug 17, 2020
7pages:

When you belt get cut, and you did not notice on time, it can affect the gasket.
When fan also stop working, the cooling effect is hindered, so you could experience over heating.
Try to wash the radiator, both in and out, with steam waterm
Let your rewire work on the fan , working at full speed in the right direction.
Then try to use for a day, if it did not stop, then you will need to change the gasket. Your mechanic must check your cylinder head and resurface if necessary.
If you still need help , we will ask you to manage it down for us to help out .
Wish you best of luck.

Regards

2. yes I can if need be

5. yes I can

Re: Help Me Find A Permanent Solution To My Overheating Car by 7pages(m): 2:45pm On Aug 17, 2020
klbakare:
Don't stress my brother. I see you have e a good car there. Don't listen to anybody saying change thermostat. Remove the thermostat, you don't need it for a commercial run golf 3. E get why. For the overheating. To solve overheating problems, we must start from the least problems to the highest. So follow these simple steps.

1. Check if your water pump is running very fine, i mean sufficiently fine. Good v/w mechanics have a way they check. If it runs fine, leave it, otherwise, you will change.

2. Check all water hoses to ensure none is leaking, if any is leaking, change them and put clip where necessary at various insertion points. This is very important because your cooling system must be 100% air tight. No external air must get into your cooling system and air must not escape so that it doesn't loose pressure. Water in vehicle engines boil above 100 degrees. If you loose pressure you will get overheating shaperly.

3. Your temperature gauge must be working 100% so that, at the first sign of that low coolant levels that flashes on the dashboard, you will be able to park and ensure no damage
To your engine or car.

4. The next thing is return. Let them check that the radiator is returning water suffiently into the expansion water reservoir. (that plastic that you always put water in your car). Ensure there is a clip on the return hose too.

5. Check that your fan is blowing correctly and at the correct side. Your fan could be blowing but be blowing wrongly. That way it blows out air instead of sucking it in. Put nylon at the grill, if it sticks your fan is doing well. If there is no relay there yet, tell rewire to add relay for maximum speed. If your fan is bad, change it. But this time, if it is single fan, buy the double type.

6. Anytime your temperature gauge starts rising close to the point where it will overheat, pull over, don't off the engine, open your bonnet and check if your fan is still working, if water is not leaking anywhere. Because that's the time you can ascertain all those things.

7. Now, after that, if you still overheat. Change your radiator. Don't wash it. If it is single cell, buy 2-cell. If it was 2-cell, buy the same 2-cell.

8. The gasket is the last step. The reason is, if when you put water in your radiator, it does not enter your engine oil. Then it may not be your gasket. However, if at first sign, you discover your engine oil is milky, your gasket don burn be that. Otherwise let gasket replacement be the last step you'll take. Hot spot could form on your gasket. And it could cause boiling too. Nigerian mechos will say "gasket ti flat". Now if you have ringed your engine before, they will use double gasket, that one no dey flat easily but it can burn. But if you've never fixed the engine before, the gasket could be flat true true cos na single gasket oyinbo man dey put. So keep me posted.

9. No dey overfill your radiation reservoir with water. Stay safe. P. S where be your route?

Thanks bro. The thermostat had been removed before I bought the car

It was the water pump belt that cut hence the over heating and the temperature gauge cease to work

I will meet another Rewire to reset the temperature gauge for me, the one I used is too full of himself

Thanks for your input. For future reference perhaps I'll screen short this your nice input

Thanks bro
Re: Help Me Find A Permanent Solution To My Overheating Car by philopaul4uu: 2:51pm On Aug 17, 2020
I had a Toyota Camry that was working fine for years till it started overheating. In the end, the mechanic adviced and a new bigger radiator was installed. That was d solution. No more overheating.
Re: Help Me Find A Permanent Solution To My Overheating Car by jay7(m): 7:50pm On Aug 17, 2020
7pages:

Thanks bro

The belt in the water pump cut the reason the car was overheating

I can't start mentioning you guys but your input had not only provide solutions to my over heating car but had educate me much about cars

May we all continue to succeed in all our endeavors. Much Blessing guys

Amen am happy you have finally fix your car, though some of those things are things you can check yourself occasionally to see if they are wearing out gradually.
Re: Help Me Find A Permanent Solution To My Overheating Car by 9icetoo(m): 8:39pm On Aug 17, 2020
mdchikezie:

I thought anyone who had a thing or two to write here had as much as common sense.
Turns out I was wrong.

Stop talking about what you know nothing about and learn, it's that simple.

There is a thermostat in a vw old models WATERPUMPs that's usually removed as it's bought.
I don't know about any other car brand, I am talking about what I deal on.
Are you this deluded?

New ones don't have it as they come and no mechanic would come looking for golf or passat or jetta WATERPUMP thermostat.

Stop confusing people here and say what you FUCKIING know about.
Nobody forced you for your opinion
His car is a golf 3. The thermostat is behind the power steering pump I believe. At least on the 2.0 engines, that's where it is. It shouldn't be any different on his own.
When people really don't know how pass their points across, they SHOUT!
Mechanics really do ask for thermostats. I have replaced thrice on my cars. A Camry, a skoda and a cerrato.

Watch the attached link to a YouTube video showing the level of work involved in getting to a golf 3 thermostat. They didn't take it out from the water pump.
It sat on the engine block behind a plastic thermostat housing where it is usually found on almost every other car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCiwaFTDaVc
Re: Help Me Find A Permanent Solution To My Overheating Car by mdchikezie(m): 9:10pm On Aug 17, 2020
9icetoo:

His car is a golf 3. The thermostat is behind the power steering pump I believe. At least on the 2.0 engines, that's where it is. It shouldn't be any different on his own.
When people really don't know how pass their points across, they SHOUT!
Mechanics really do ask for thermostats. I have replaced thrice on my cars. A Camry, a skoda and a cerrato.

Watch the attached link to a YouTube video showing the level of work involved in getting to a golf 3 thermostat. They didn't take it out from the water pump.
It sat on the engine block behind a plastic thermostat housing where it is usually found on almost every other car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCiwaFTDaVc

Can't you see how cold that weather is?
Do Nigeria have that kind of weather
Re: Help Me Find A Permanent Solution To My Overheating Car by 9icetoo(m): 9:53pm On Aug 17, 2020
mdchikezie:

Can't you see how cold that weather is?
Do Nigeria have that kind of weather
Do not play the weather card. It is an old wives tale. The thermostat is there to serve a function regardless of the ambient temperature. Yes it helps warm the engine faster in cold climates.
It also helps warm the engine faster in hot climates and keeps the engine at the optimum temperature required for optimum performance.
There are so many countries hotter than Nigeria where cars still use thermostats.
When the engine is cool, it closes to warm up the engine. When the engine is warm, it opens to allow cool water from the radiator flow into the engine and hot water from the engine flow into the radiator. It is that simple.
Thermostat is not the only or overwhelming cause of overheating.
If it gets bad, replace it. If your fan or water pump goes bad, dont you replace it?
Cars have been imported from UAE into Nigeria and they came in with their thermostats. Is Nigeria hotter than UAE?
There are states in USA where you can literally fry an egg on the streets. It gets that hot. Blazing hot. Yet the cars we import from there still come here with their thermostats intact.

If anyone wants to remove his thermostat, by all means he is free to do so, after all it's his car. But there will be other consequences apart from the supposed overheating he is preventing or curing.
Engine is dying a slow death. Won't be long before blue smoke shows up especially on fuel injection engines. Less so on carbureted engines. Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: Help Me Find A Permanent Solution To My Overheating Car by Praxtech: 11:03pm On Aug 17, 2020
9icetoo:

Do not play the weather card. It is an old wives tale. The thermostat is there to serve a function regardless of the ambient temperature. Yes it helps warm the engine faster in cold climates.
It also helps warm the engine faster in hot climates and keeps the engine at the optimum temperature required for optimum performance.
There are so many countries hotter than Nigeria where cars still use thermostats.
When the engine is cool, it closes to warm up the engine. When the engine is warm, it opens to allow cool water from the radiator flow into the engine and hot water from the engine flow into the radiator. It is that simple.
Thermostat is not the only or overwhelming cause of overheating.
If it gets bad, replace it. If your fan or water pump goes bad, dont you replace it?
Cars have been imported from UAE into Nigeria and they came in with their thermostats. Is Nigeria hotter than UAE?
There are states in USA where you can literally fry an egg on the streets. It gets that hot. Blazing hot. Yet the cars we import from there still come here with their thermostats intact.

If anyone wants to remove his thermostat, by all means he is free to do so, after all it's his car. But there will be other consequences apart from the supposed overheating he is preventing or curing.
Engine is dying a slow death. Won't be long before blue smoke shows up especially on fuel injection engines. Less so on carbureted engines. Thank you.
waste not your time on mdchikezie...he's just a parts seller who has chosen to be grandiosely ignorant about his trade

1 Like

Re: Help Me Find A Permanent Solution To My Overheating Car by mdchikezie(m): 10:00am On Aug 18, 2020
Praxtech:

waste not your time on mdchikezie...he's just a parts seller who has chosen to be grandiosely ignorant about his trade

MUMU useless bastard Respond and mention me in my own comment.
Stop uselessing and disgracing.
Useless Yoruba coward,..... that's what you all are known for.
Chest beating amoebas.
I've not even reached near you and you are scared of mentioning me in my own comment.

Talkmore me coming near you lol na hot shit go commot immediately.
Re: Help Me Find A Permanent Solution To My Overheating Car by weyreypey: 7:31pm On Aug 18, 2020
Praxtech:

You're very correct.

1 Like

Re: Help Me Find A Permanent Solution To My Overheating Car by Praxtech: 8:48pm On Aug 18, 2020
weyreypey:

You're very correct.

definitely

1 Like

Re: Help Me Find A Permanent Solution To My Overheating Car by mdchikezie(m): 9:21pm On Aug 18, 2020
weyreypey:

You're very correct.

Another Monica of yours......fool
Yoruba coward pig, chest beating motherfuckerrs, swimming and confusing people in total ignorance.

You must be a failure in life that's what I sense 100%
Re: Help Me Find A Permanent Solution To My Overheating Car by weyreypey: 9:52pm On Aug 18, 2020
mdchikezie:

Another Monica of yours......fool
Yoruba coward pig, chest beating motherfuckerrs, swimming and confusing people in total ignorance.

You must be a failure in life that's what I sense 100%
even though you're a real life failure .....

Re: Help Me Find A Permanent Solution To My Overheating Car by mdchikezie(m): 11:38am On Aug 19, 2020
weyreypey:

even though you're a real life failure .....
Have you returned to Your normal moniker, lol miserable Yoruba pig.
We all know how you all behave, it's indelible.

Look at the ass whooper from the keyboard lol certified typical Yoruba brown roof oily soup cowardized bastard.

Go do better with your life boiiiiii.
How about your lambos and ferrari
Re: Help Me Find A Permanent Solution To My Overheating Car by 7pages(m): 12:04pm On Aug 19, 2020
jay7:

Amen am happy you have finally fix your car, though some of those things are things you can check yourself occasionally to see if they are wearing out gradually.

Lesson learnt. Thanks bro
Re: Help Me Find A Permanent Solution To My Overheating Car by Ayobamigiven: 12:34pm On Aug 20, 2020
Thank God it's Volkswagen..... The cooling mechanism is complex and one of the best lasting one... So if your car can overheat, then you can't blame it but fix it.
Re: Help Me Find A Permanent Solution To My Overheating Car by 2special(m): 8:19pm On Oct 13, 2021
klbakare:

To your engine or car.

The best advice
Re: Help Me Find A Permanent Solution To My Overheating Car by alaricsaltzman: 8:51pm On Nov 08, 2023
Ferdinandu:

Most mechanics are just dumb assholes, they will be changing one thing after another until they completely kill your Engine. Had the same problem with my car and they continued extorting me until I had to buy a new engine and that solved my problem permanently. If the cooling fan is working and water pump is working without leakage then the radiator is probably dirty or bad you may either wash it or buying a new one will be better. But know that radiator issue is usually accompanied by irregular movement of your temperature metre. The temperature gauge always goes up and down.
You said you usually top water everyday, then look for leakages especially at the radiator and water pump side
Funny how I have this exact issue with irregular temperature gauge

Maybe I should buy a new radiator

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Bus Carrying Wedding Guests Crashes Into Military Armoured Vehicle In Bauchi / Honda Babyboy Gear Problems. Any Personal Experience To Share? / Effect Of Raising The Base Of A Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.