Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,705 members, 7,827,579 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:52 PM

FG Reacts To Closure Of Nigerian Traders' Shops In Ghana - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Reacts To Closure Of Nigerian Traders' Shops In Ghana (32093 Views)

FG Reacts To Killing Of Nigerian Pastor By Chinese Government / New Minimum Wage: FG Reacts To Labour’s December 31 Deadline / FG Reacts To Saraki Exit From APC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Reacts To Closure Of Nigerian Traders' Shops In Ghana by Gee64: 10:06am On Aug 18, 2020
I wonder what Nigerians are doing in that underdeveloped country.
I've visited that country twice and I see nothing impressive there except a people subjected to abject poverty.
The only thing the country can boast of is money ritual which our Yahoo Boys have advanced beyond. They now go the Hushpuppy's style! Lol!

2 Likes

Re: FG Reacts To Closure Of Nigerian Traders' Shops In Ghana by greall12(m): 10:07am On Aug 18, 2020
I blame our lazy government. Nigeria is a good country where we accommodate foreigners , also working under them here. Ghana �� only trying what they can not finish.

1 Like

Re: FG Reacts To Closure Of Nigerian Traders' Shops In Ghana by Blue3k(m): 10:07am On Aug 18, 2020
authority2006:

That shouldn't qualify as law, that was meant to be an insurmountable obstacle my friend, 1 million dollars for registration! That's like 400 million naira! I hope you're Ghanaian and not a Nigerian because I will be disappointed if you are a Nigerian

You're very ignorant about the subject. The registration isn't a million dollars. The registration fee is different. They have capital requirements of 1 million dollars. I notice you didnt comment on Nigerian laws ban foreigners from owning certain businesses outright in your own country.

28. ENTERPRISES ELIGIBLE FOR FOREIGN PARTICIPATION AND MINIMUM FOREIGN CAPITAL REQUIREMENT

(2) A person who is not a citizen may engage in a trading enterprise if that person invests in the 
enterprise, not less than one million United States dollars in cash or goods and services 
relevant to the investments.
(3) For the purpose of this section, “trading” includes the purchasing and selling of imported 
goods and services.
(4) An enterprise referred to in subsection (2) shall employ at least twenty skilled Ghanaians.
Re: FG Reacts To Closure Of Nigerian Traders' Shops In Ghana by slowice(m): 10:07am On Aug 18, 2020
The government of Ghana is just being mischievous...... No Nigerian will go to Ghana if they have that amount of money at their disposal for there are better investment opportunities in Nigeria if you ve the funds.

1 Like

Re: FG Reacts To Closure Of Nigerian Traders' Shops In Ghana by selfemployed(m): 10:07am On Aug 18, 2020
Blue3k:

Source: https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/fg-reacts-to-closure-of-nigerian-traders-shops-in-ghana

I'm thinking this is a good development.

It's time for us to rise above small scale business and device a strategy that would make us pull our resources together and do big business

1 Like

Re: FG Reacts To Closure Of Nigerian Traders' Shops In Ghana by udemzyudex(m): 10:08am On Aug 18, 2020
Blue3k:
Notice he said it's painful. He didn't claim what they did was illegal or violates ECOWAS protocols. What exactly is the peaceful resolution that he wants. If Traders violated law then Ghana did nothing wrong. Nigeria has similar laws on their books they enforce.

Lol it would be interesting to see if Ghana really want to fold on this issue during an election year. The ruling party would handing easy cannon fooder for their opposition. They would look weak violating their laws to appease foreigners.

You're becoming a nuisance in this forum. undecided
Re: FG Reacts To Closure Of Nigerian Traders' Shops In Ghana by Blue3k(m): 10:10am On Aug 18, 2020
udemzyudex:

You're becoming a nuisance in this forum. undecided

Lol what are going to do clown? You crybabies never have an intelligent rebuttal it's sad.
Re: FG Reacts To Closure Of Nigerian Traders' Shops In Ghana by mostob(m): 10:10am On Aug 18, 2020
Ghana must go. . .
Abeg help my hustle and bring job o. Check my signature
Re: FG Reacts To Closure Of Nigerian Traders' Shops In Ghana by udemzyudex(m): 10:11am On Aug 18, 2020
TruthHurts100:
And you might start thinking kpe we should also do the same to Ghanaians doing business in Nigeria but how many are they? How many Ghanaians are doing business in Nigeria.

Karma is has just started.

Remember Ghana must Go? We even made bags for them and we still use those words till tomorrow.

So Ghana is now doing their's... Nigeria Must Go.

LOL.. They are not doing any big business to even warrant our government to do same. Unless the government want to ban their products from entering into the country.

Abi na puff puff seller or wanke seller government wan ban?
Re: FG Reacts To Closure Of Nigerian Traders' Shops In Ghana by Nnannapat(m): 10:11am On Aug 18, 2020
I don't know why many people here are saying that Nigerians in Ghana should leave the country or pay the outrageously insane 1 million USD.

And I ask , what then is the need for ECOWAS treaties? Ghana has been enjoying unfettered access to the Nigerian market due to ECOWAS free trade agreements, companies like Unilever and Nestle produces many products they sell in Nigeria in their Tema factories, you might not notice this until you carefully read the products labels. There are many Ghanaians in Nigeria doing their legitimate business and nobody disturbs them, I know of one who owns a bakery here in Lagos and he is doing very well, I do buy meatpies and bread from there. So imagine if he was to pay 1 million USD before he can operate.

ECOWAS free trade agreements which I believe that Ghana is a signatory to, provides coverage for the free movement of goods, people and services across the sub-region. If Nigeria, Ivory coast, Senegal, Mali, Guninea Conakry should emulate Ghana and impose 1million USD trade license fee on the citizens of other sister nations of ECOWAS then the dreams and aspirations of establishing ECOWAS has been defeated.
Re: FG Reacts To Closure Of Nigerian Traders' Shops In Ghana by udemzyudex(m): 10:12am On Aug 18, 2020
Blue3k:

Lol what are going do clown? You crybabies never have an intelligent rebuttal it's sad.

Your gragra didn't even allow you to read what you typed before posting.

You think I'll want to waste my time engaging someone like you? Naa I'll pass.
Re: FG Reacts To Closure Of Nigerian Traders' Shops In Ghana by Blue3k(m): 10:14am On Aug 18, 2020
udemzyudex:

Your gragra didn't even allow you to read what you typed before posting.

You think I'll want to waste my time engaging someone like you? Naa I'll pass.

Lol ok clown please bother someone else with your foolishness. Thanks in advance.
Re: FG Reacts To Closure Of Nigerian Traders' Shops In Ghana by mauchiz: 10:14am On Aug 18, 2020
proeast:

You're smart! Nigerians in Ghana should come together, contribute money and float a huge company or mall like ShopRite and sell its shares to members. Afterwards, they can open branches under the corporate name they registered the company and thus disperse their members accordingly to all these branches.

They don't want Nigerians over there,
Even if the acquire a mall, they will bring out another policy to witchunt them, they feel Nigerians are making so much money than Ghanians, that is why they don't want them in there country.

Is only Nigerians that knows what they are looking for in Ghana and African countries.

Nigeria remains the giant of Africa, for all I care.

Nigeria is a land filled with honey and milk,
Nigeria is the promised land.
We have almost all the natural resources in the whole world.
We have everything.

Ghana should not insult us,
It has not gotten to that extent.
Re: FG Reacts To Closure Of Nigerian Traders' Shops In Ghana by udemzyudex(m): 10:15am On Aug 18, 2020
Blue3k:

Lol ok clown please bother someone else with your foolishness. Thanks in advance.

Typical, I'm not surprise.
Re: FG Reacts To Closure Of Nigerian Traders' Shops In Ghana by Blue3k(m): 10:18am On Aug 18, 2020
udemzyudex:

Typical, I'm not surprise.

Clown didnt you say you'd move on why you still in my mentions? Please bother someone else with your foolishness. You clearly have no rebuttal to anything I argued lawless clown.
Re: FG Reacts To Closure Of Nigerian Traders' Shops In Ghana by WorWorBoy3: 10:19am On Aug 18, 2020
SaintBishop:

What are you saying are their no Ghanaians living and doing their business in Nigeria? anyway, thank God my people hardly Migrate, it is Igbos and Yorubas that are in your country, deal with them as you please, he no concern me.

Well said!
Re: FG Reacts To Closure Of Nigerian Traders' Shops In Ghana by mauchiz: 10:20am On Aug 18, 2020
Nnannapat:
I don't know why many people here are saying that Nigerians in Ghana should leave the country or pay the outrageously insane 1 million USD.

And I ask , what then is the need for ECOWAS treaties? Ghana has been enjoying unfettered access to the Nigerian market due to ECOWAS free trade agreements, companies like Unilever and Nestle produces many products they sell in Nigeria in their Tema factories, you might not notice this until you carefully read the products labels. There are many Ghanaians in Nigeria doing their legitimate business and nobody disturbs them, I know of one who owns a bakery here in Lagos and he is doing very well, I do buy meatpies and bread from there. So imagine if he was to pay 1 million USD before he can operate.

ECOWAS free trade agreements which I believe that Ghana is a signatory to, provides coverage for the free movement of goods, people and services across the sub-region. If Nigeria, Ivory coast, Senegal, Mali, Guninea Conakry should emulate Ghana and impose 1million USD trade license fee on the citizens of other sister nations of ECOWAS then the dreams and aspirations of establishing ECOWAS has been defeated.

You are a very peaceful man, but Ghanians have been troubling Nigerians, the best thing is for them to come back, then Ghanians should leave Nigeria, let us close our boarders, this relationship is not working, we can't keep begging Ghana, is enough.

Everyday Ghanians are troubling Nigerians, is it when they start killing them you will realise they don't want them, they have pulled down our embassy, is it not enough?
Re: FG Reacts To Closure Of Nigerian Traders' Shops In Ghana by udemzyudex(m): 10:23am On Aug 18, 2020
Blue3k:

Clown didnt you say you'd move on why you still in my mentions? Please bother someone else with your foolishness. You clearly have no rebuttal to anything I argued lawless clown.

Keep ranting, when you're done you will go back to your hole.
Re: FG Reacts To Closure Of Nigerian Traders' Shops In Ghana by focus7: 10:23am On Aug 18, 2020
Olalan:
This Nigerian government needs to get it right in the game of international politics and diplomacy...... lesser countries in Africa seems to be taking us for granted o thanks to the docile government in power....can imagine this happening during the so called bad Obasanjo government

Even Jonathan would have handle things better
Re: FG Reacts To Closure Of Nigerian Traders' Shops In Ghana by ozor333(m): 10:24am On Aug 18, 2020
Please is this $1million for single shop. Or does it covered all Nigeria shop and other business?
Re: FG Reacts To Closure Of Nigerian Traders' Shops In Ghana by proeast(m): 10:24am On Aug 18, 2020
mauchiz:

They don't want Nigerians over there,
Even if the acquire a mall, they will bring out another policy to witchunt them, they feel Nigerians are making so much money than Ghanians, that is why they don't want them in there country.

Is only Nigerians that knows what they are looking for in Ghana and African countries.

Nigeria remains the giant of Africa, for all I care.

Nigeria is a land filled with honey and milk,
Nigeria is the promised land.
We have almost all the natural resources in the whole world.
We have everything.

Ghana should not insult us,
It has not gotten to that extent.

No country is an island onto itself. No matter how much they hate our guts, their is a limit to what they can do. They can't put a policy for Nigeria alone, it can't work, except they want to cut their nose to spite their face.

Ghana is still benefiting a lot from Nigeria in many ways. Had it been we have intelligent rulers who are smart, all these banana republics won't be humiliating us.

1 Like

Re: FG Reacts To Closure Of Nigerian Traders' Shops In Ghana by Blue3k(m): 10:26am On Aug 18, 2020
udemzyudex:

Keep ranting, when you're done you will go back to your hole.

Lol attention hungry mumus everywhere. It must be family or cultural trait for you. I guess you lied you do have time.
Re: FG Reacts To Closure Of Nigerian Traders' Shops In Ghana by chaloskyx: 10:27am On Aug 18, 2020
bunch of self centred leaders nothing would be done about it just like nothing was done about Nigerians sovereignty when they demolished our embassy. the truth is Nigeria has lost its respect to the rest of our African brothers and the only way to get it back is by cleaning out our own political mess here and getting rid of our corrupt leaders. its things like this you bring to the AU notice to reprimand Ghana actions
Re: FG Reacts To Closure Of Nigerian Traders' Shops In Ghana by authority2006(m): 10:28am On Aug 18, 2020
Blue3k:

You're very ignorant about the subject. The registration isn't a million dollars. The registration fee is different. They have capital requirements of 1 million dollar.

What difference does it make to me or any sensible and patriotic Nigerian? They can't sell pepper or clothes, they can't operate a barber's shop or driving a cab. If individual Nigerian had that kind of money, what would he be looking for in Ghanaian market center?

I notice you didnt comment on Nigerian laws ban foreigners from owning certain businesses outright in your own country.

I don't see Nigerian government victimising Ghanaian traders or any other African in Nigerian markets.

The Nigerians who are being victimised in Ghana are the people who engage in petty trading below and not some Dangotes or Otedolas with 400 millions naira registration or capital

(1) A person who is not a citizen or an enterprise which is not wholly owned by citizen shall not
invest or participate in—
a. the sale of goods or provision of services in a market, petty trading or hawking or selling
of goods in a stall at any place;
b. the operation of taxi or car hire service in an enterprise that has a fleet of less than
twenty-five vehicles;
c. the operation of a beauty salon or a barber shop;
d. the printing of recharge scratch cards for the use of subscribers of telecommunication
services;
e. the production of exercise books and other basic stationery;
f. the retail of finished pharmaceutical products;
g. the production, supply and retail of sachet water; and
h. all aspects of pool betting business and lotteries, except football pool
Re: FG Reacts To Closure Of Nigerian Traders' Shops In Ghana by Newboss(m): 10:30am On Aug 18, 2020
Judolisco:
@ Newboss what's ur take on dis... Yesterday I was telling about Nigeria doing something about the ish... U were talking about business

I have no problem with doing something about it. My problem was with you suggesting Nigeria stop selling gas to Ghana.
Re: FG Reacts To Closure Of Nigerian Traders' Shops In Ghana by scriptures01: 10:30am On Aug 18, 2020
Many Nigerians here are ignorant of Ghana law.
The law only relates to those entering the retail market, the retail market has been reserved for Ghanaians only in a bid
to keep unemployment low. Foreigners cannot engage in retail in any of the markets.
Many other areas are open for Nigerians to engage in.
example
Services sector
IT sector
etc
There are many Nigerians in Ghana who respected the law and established businesses in the Services Sector, IT
sector and are doing business without any issue.
Only those Nigerians who decided to do retail (selling single units) in their shops and opened shops in any of the major markets
have been shut down.
The major reason why the Ghanaians reacted was that once a Nigerian opens shop in the market, he engages in agressive
marketing crashing the price of what he is selling, reducing profit to the point that all the other Ghanaian shops have to go
out of business.
It became so bad that the Ghanaians couldn't even feed from their own shops and the Nigerian traders were loving it
because they got all the customers.
The Nigerian traders even went as far as overpaying for the shops, the landlords started taking their rent in dollars.
It was a ticking time bomb based on greed and eventually when Buhari closed the border, Ghanaians decided to react too.
The Ghanaians are just trying to reclaim their markets back.

4 Likes

Re: FG Reacts To Closure Of Nigerian Traders' Shops In Ghana by ajailer(m): 10:31am On Aug 18, 2020
proeast:

Believe me, Nigeria can actually hit Ghana hard if only we can put our acts together. The problem is that we have leaders that are neither smart nor intelligent.

Are you aware that Nigeria's economy is bigger than the rest of West Africa put together? How big is Ghana's economy??

Our population is about half of West Africa's population!

If Nigeria should cut all ties with Ghana and place total embargo on trade with them, they will go into recession.

If Nigerians should pull out of Ghana en mass, their economy will be devastated. Forget all the hype, Ghana is still a very poor country, it's just that they have better leaders than the apologies we have in Nigeria.

Ghana has been owing Nigeria perennially for gas supplies to date!

Nigeria can easily do without Ghana but Ghana will suffer if cut ties with them. Nigerian traders and business men could decide to divest from there and go elsewhere in the Subregion and in return, we stop all Ghana products from accessing Nigeria's large market. Stop our gas supplies to them and force them to pay the millions of dollars they're owing us.

If Nigeria has a smart and intelligent leader, Ghana will have their president coming to Aso rock to beg.

What you have said is absolutely true. A case study was when we closed our borders and Ghanaian couldn't bring their usual alcoholic drinks like "fire" , "alomo bitters" and co into the country again. I remember their president meeting with general Buhari about it. Do we have patriotic leaders? unfortunately, NO.

1 Like

Re: FG Reacts To Closure Of Nigerian Traders' Shops In Ghana by RTSC: 10:32am On Aug 18, 2020
I also hear that their shitty schools charge Nigerians thousands of dollars as tuition.

How low can you people go to humiliate yourselves?
Re: FG Reacts To Closure Of Nigerian Traders' Shops In Ghana by allwell21: 10:32am On Aug 18, 2020
Ghana again...
Re: FG Reacts To Closure Of Nigerian Traders' Shops In Ghana by mauchiz: 10:33am On Aug 18, 2020
proeast:
No country is an island onto itself. No matter how much they hate our guts, their is a limit to what they can do. They can't put a policy for Nigeria alone, it can't work, except they want to cut their nose to spite their face.

Ghana is still benefiting a lot from Nigeria in many ways. Had it been we have intelligent rulers who are smart, all these banana republics won't be humiliating us.

The best thing now is for President Buhari to send evacuation flight to Ghana free of charge, and order Nigerians to leave Ghana within 48 hours, take them by surprise, order Ghanians to leave Nigeria, they will beg.
Use Ghana as a scapegoat for others, seal Ghana boarder with Nigeria.
Give an order, that anyone that does not return to Nigeria, ceases to be a citizen of Nigeria, all this insult from all these countries will reduce.
Re: FG Reacts To Closure Of Nigerian Traders' Shops In Ghana by emmanuelewumi(m): 10:33am On Aug 18, 2020
theenchanter:
thats what happen when people dont read.

Can't work.

We prefer 100% ownership of a N10 million business too 1% ownership of a N1 billion business

1 Like

Re: FG Reacts To Closure Of Nigerian Traders' Shops In Ghana by Realbams: 10:34am On Aug 18, 2020
With ghana’s election closing in the incumbent government needs money for Champaign

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Jonathan Agrees To Reverse N5000 Note Plan / Meet The Major Contenders For Edo State Government House In 2016 / Reason Why We Disrupted 2019 Budget Presentation — Minority Leader, PDP Reps

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.