Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,780 members, 7,817,244 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:39 AM

The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex (408252 Views)

Construction Of Six Bedroom Duplex At Enugu / The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) / Six Bedroom Duplex With Guest House And Bq In Ikoyi For Sale! Pix Attached! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (102) (Go Down)

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by OYINBOGOJU(m): 10:32pm On Feb 23, 2011
@Chaircover

Thanks for the information so far the total figure you gave us is #
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by Nobody: 11:13pm On Feb 23, 2011
^^^^^

Sorry I'm not sure what the total figure is embarassed

@olubuffet the buildings are separate; Id say about 30 metres apart.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by igbanbajo(m): 8:23am On Feb 24, 2011
Dear All,

I need help.

Kindly advise current materials prices for delivery to Arepo in Lagos.
Pls quote 2 prices - with or without transport - (if you know) or one, indicating which.

Cement
Iron rod - 16mm (1 ton)
Iron rod - 12mm (1 ton)
Iron rod - 10mm (1 ton)
Granite (30 tons)
Filling sand (laterite)
Sand

Thanks in advance.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by hasyak(m): 1:33pm On Feb 24, 2011
just came across this tread and will like to share my own experience with all, since am just about to start building 2 duplex somewhere in lekki,

fence, gate and well N1.5M this was like a contract, but the remaining work will be direct labour. so far these are the item i have bought

granite 60 tonnes @ N2,300/ton with trasport to lagos 65k/trip, i went to a quarry close to ibadan to buy, paid 30k to area boys to allow the truck come in

sand 60 tonnes @ N2,7/ton, transport N 24k

blocks 3000, @ N180 each, said its special mixed with sand dust

cement 300 @ 1580, transport N30k

wood 400, @ 820, transport 15k ( am not too sure will confirm later)

iron rod 12" @ N108k/ton, 10" @ 104, 16" @ N114 ( am not too sure will confirm later)

clearing 16K

have negotiated with the iron bender that will work for the two houses N550k for labour only. will conclude with the others by friday. and will keep you all posted.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by tony13: 1:54pm On Feb 24, 2011
@HASYAK

PLEASE CAN YOU GIVE ME THE CONTACT NUMBER OF WHERE YOU GET GRANITE CLOSE TO IBADAN

IT WILL HELP A LOT NUMBER.

THANKS
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by hasyak(m): 2:27pm On Feb 24, 2011
i dont have the no of the quarry, but you can call this no 08032087366 name muyiwa, he is the one that arrange the trucks for me and he  works there, please dont send money to him go there by yourself.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 2:47pm On Feb 24, 2011
hasyak:

just came across this tread and will like to share my own experience with all, since am just about to start building 2 duplex somewhere in lekki,

fence, gate and well N1.5M this was like a contract, but the remaining work will be direct labour. so far these are the item i have bought

granite 60 tonnes @ N2,300/ton with trasport to lagos 65k/trip, i went to a quarry close to ibadan to buy, paid 30k to area boys to allow the truck come in

iron rod 12" @ N108k/ton, 10" @ 104, 16" @ N114 ( am not too sure will confirm later)

clearing 16K

have negotiated with the iron bender that will work for the two houses N550k for labour only. will conclude with the others by friday. and will keep you all posted.

hasyak:

clearing 16K

Sand dust cement? And I was thinking I have heard it all!
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by hasyak(m): 2:53pm On Feb 24, 2011
spyder880:

Sand dust cement? And I was thinking I have heard it all!
it is the dust from quarry they mix it with sand and cement to make the block stronger
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 3:07pm On Feb 24, 2011
Spent another N3500 to pack the blocks out of the building space, it is confirmed we are starting the fundation digging tomorrow morning so I spent some money to buy ;
wood for site setting out and marking N8750
half bag of 3" nail N2400
two bundles of pegs N1200
Total money spent today is N15850.00 bringing the grand total so far to N209,650.00
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 3:42pm On Feb 24, 2011
My engineer just brought a total estimate of what it will tke to complete my foundation and get it up to german floor level.
Gravel 4 trips X N12000 = N48000
Sand 8 trips x N6000 =N48000
50 bags of cement @1700 =N85000
half inch rod x1250 = N37500
supervision = 20,000
labourers = N40,000
iron rod =15,000
carpenter = N10,000
transportation = N5,000
total N308,500.00
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by olubuffett: 4:42pm On Feb 24, 2011
these is getting more interesting.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by Fhemmmy: 5:03pm On Feb 24, 2011
spyder880:

My engineer just brought a total estimate of what it will tke to complete my foundation and get it up to german floor level.
supervision = 20,000
labourers = N40,000
iron rod =15,000
carpenter = N10,000
transportation = N5,000
total N308,500.00

How many day's job do you think these would take?
Would u be kind enuf to post pix as you progress, if i am not asking for too much?
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 5:36pm On Feb 24, 2011
Fhemmmy:

How many day's job do you think these would take?
Would u be kind enuf to post pix as you progress, if i am not asking for too much?

He wants us to rush the job and when I asked, he said we shall do this within ten days if the labourers are many. I am allowing another five days, so 15 days max.
I will do my best to attach photos if the foundation digging is completed tomorrow.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 7:36pm On Feb 24, 2011
spyder880:

supervision = 20,000
labourers = N40,000
iron rod =15,000
carpenter = N10,000
transportation = N5,000
total N308,500.00

Hey man, Thanks for this information
But please atleast use Granite for the foundation and not gravel
And please when decking the house, please use granite as well
very important
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 7:39pm On Feb 24, 2011
@spyder880

Sorry to say
but I must confess that the materials you are using to build this your house are sub-standard
From hand mold blocks to gravel
And if as you said earlier that you have built a lot of houses
by now you should know the best,
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 8:24pm On Feb 24, 2011
Am Alone:

@spyder880

Sorry to say
but I must confess that the materials you are using to build this your house are sub-standard
From hand mold blocks to gravel
And if as you said earlier that you have built a lot of houses
by now you should know the best,

I laughed so hard when I saw this, but my man, relax, this is my house and I am putting everything into consideration, including my family's safety.
A house will not collapse just because you used gravel to build it. FACT. Houses collapse when you use undersized rods, loose mixtures of concrete and other funny cost cutting measures to build. In my house, you can see its only one story high, I will use standard materials to build the whole house. Granite is for some specific project, and if you are rich enough, you can even use it for everything from german floor of your walkways to any other work.
Enugu dont use granite to build most houses, I can count the number of houses in my street where they used it, very few if any. Its Abakaliki that has lots of granite.

I expect more critisicm sha, when you learn how to do things right, many are bound to challenge it.

2 Likes

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by Fhemmmy: 8:44pm On Feb 24, 2011
Still loving it
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by armyofone(m): 8:53pm On Feb 24, 2011
nice thread

following and loving it
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 8:06am On Feb 25, 2011
Am Alone:

Hey man, Thanks for this information
But please atleast use Granite for the foundation and not gravel
And please when decking the house, please use granite as well
very important

I have seen houses built with granite that still collapsed or cracked seriously. Granite is only a type of stone, and failure to apply the right mixure of sand, cement, mixed with the right amount of water, and poured in the right wether and soil condition will still make a mess of your granite.
Enugu is hilly, with no water on the soil, very dry land and so stony that digging anything here is very hard. Dont compare Enugu with Lagos or other water logged cities close to the ocean with salty water that can corrode the rods. Gravel is anotther type of stone and have various sizes, we have washed, dug and river gravels (pebbles). I am using washed gravels to build my house to avoid the dust associated with dug or gathered gravel.

Please feel free to critique my work, I learn from the feedback I get from comments like these. Thanks.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by larimo(m): 10:30am On Feb 25, 2011
spyder880:

I have seen houses built with granite that still collapsed or cracked seriously. Granite is only a type of stone, and failure to apply the right mixure of sand, cement, mixed with the right amount of water, and poured in the right wether and soil condition will still make a mess of your granite.
Enugu is hilly, with no water on the soil, very dry land and so stony that digging anything here is very hard. Dont compare Enugu with Lagos or other water logged cities close to the ocean with salty water that can corrode the rods. Gravel is another type of stone and have various sizes, we have washed, dug and river gravels (pebbles). I am using washed gravels to build my house to avoid the dust associated with dug or gathered gravel.

Please feel free to critique my work, I learn from the feedback I get from comments like these. Thanks.

you are right. The concrete mix ratio is what counts with respect to the materials at hand. In Lagos, everyone does the 1:2:4 which is ok depending on what you are doing like foundations. The coarseness of the sand is also very key. Its up to the engineer to check these things. Many don't do this and it can be dangerous.

Are u using hand-made blocks? If so, its good to give a strong fabric to your building. By that i mean the columns and beams, cos blocks dont carry any weight and cannot transmit it efficiently leading to cracks.

Good job you are doing,
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by oluwabamis(m): 2:32pm On Feb 25, 2011
this is one of d best thread in nl.

my contributions are:
depending on the location bore-hole is usually better than well. in my own case (ikorodu) i engaged 3 sets of well digers on my well, not to talk of the monthly repair of pumps, there was a time i always buy pumps like 6 monthly. the total money on well alone was able to drill 2 boreholes. i got annoyed later and drilled bore hole in october 2008. no water issues since then.

on electrical, pls always follow the electrician to buy the matls. especially cables and wires. most homes fires are started from electrical sparks, becauze of fake wires. d electrical mtls have been bought with me in attendance. not that i dont trust the guy, but in my industry, it is a policy to be involved in an issue that affect ur life.
im currently on another project and will be sharing my experience in due courze.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 4:37pm On Feb 25, 2011
larimo:

you are right. The concrete mix ratio is what counts with respect to the materials at hand. In Lagos, everyone does the 1:2:4 which is ok depending on what you are doing like foundations. The coarseness of the sand is also very key. Its up to the engineer to check these things. Many don't do this and it can be dangerous.

Are u using hand-made blocks? If so, its good to give a strong fabric to your building. By that i mean the columns and beams, cos blocks dont carry any weight and cannot transmit it efficiently leading to cracks.

Good job you are doing,

You are right, blocks are inconsequential when the building has columns and beams. The strenght of the columns and beams are what matters. But seriously, do you mean 1 cement:2sand: 4stone as the mixture? Do you advice this for a one storey building like mine? I am planning to use up to 4 sand and 7 stone. Looking forward to your advice.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 4:46pm On Feb 25, 2011
oluwabamis:

this is one of d best thread in nl.

my contributions are:
depending on the location bore-hole is usually better than well. in my own case (ikorodu) i engaged 3 sets of well digers on my well, not to talk of the monthly repair of pumps, there was a time i always buy pumps like 6 monthly. the total money on well alone was able to drill 2 boreholes. i got annoyed later and drilled bore hole in october 2008. no water issues since then.

on electrical, pls always follow the electrician to buy the matls. especially cables and wires. most homes fires are started from electrical sparks, becauze of fake wires. d electrical mtls have been bought with me in attendance. not that i dont trust the guy, but in my industry, it is a policy to be involved in an issue that affect your life.
im currently on another project and will be sharing my experience in due courze.

I may never need to sink a borehole here as the water corporation is less than a kilometer from my site and tap water runs almost daily! My neighbor gave me access to his tap and I only pay his boys who controls the tap, so far, I have spent a total of 4k for all my water and my tanks (1500 gallons are filled up)
On electrical materials, I buy everything myself, and I know my onions when building materials are concerned. I have been building houses all my adult life.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 5:45pm On Feb 25, 2011
I wish I could round up my meeting in time so I can go and upload the six pictures I took on site today. They started and nearly finished the foundation today, only column base remaining, small work sha. I will try to show the pics later.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by larimo(m): 8:15pm On Feb 25, 2011
spyder880:

You are right, blocks are inconsequential when the building has columns and beams. The strenght of the columns and beams are what matters. But seriously, do you mean 1 cement:2sand: 4stone as the mixture? Do you advice this for a one storey building like mine? I am planning to use up to 4 sand and 7 stone. Looking forward to your advice.

Yes thats what the 1:2:4 means. What have you been using so far? These ratios depend a lot on the materials. It can vary from country to country. Some even use 1:2:2 in other countries. you need to make sure your materials fit your proposed ratio. you would not want too much sand in your mix, which would make it week (granite/gravel is denser than sand, hence stronger) nor would you want too much granite/gravel, which would not give a good mix. Talk to a builder about it, as well as numerous casters.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 9:34pm On Feb 25, 2011
deleted
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by 2dmax(m): 8:36am On Feb 26, 2011
very intersting thread and educative as well! All of ya, keep the good work up! Kudos!
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by 2dmax(m): 8:42am On Feb 26, 2011
DO GET YOUR BEST QOUTES FOR ELECTRICAL WIRES AND CABLES ONLY FROM US. 100% Cu/ALUM, ISO CERTIFIED. Just send your electrician's list to maxndianaefo@yahoo.com in this format below for the best qoutes:
Name of wire/cable - type - length needed.
ie, 16mm aluminium - grey or black pvc coating - 80 metres needed.
Thank you and good luck.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by DCGUY: 11:32pm On Feb 26, 2011
Very educational guys!!! I thank everyone for their contribution-am getting ready to embark on a building project in lekki. Pls keep the informations coming and add more pictures if you can; it really helps
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 8:30am On Feb 27, 2011
@ spyder880

No wahala sha, YOU HOUSE WILL NEVER COLLAPSE.
It cant at all, because of gravel at all.

@ everybody

When you use the best of materials in construction
the output is all beta
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 8:44am On Feb 27, 2011
for ur eyes only grin grin grin grin

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 8:45am On Feb 27, 2011
more

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (102)

Don't Be A Victim. Investigate Every Property Before You Buy Any Land This Year / STONE CLADDING,STONEWORK,VENEER STONE,VENEER BRICKS FOR NIGERIA BUILDINGS✯✯✯✯✯☸☸ / Roofing Sheets: The Cost Of Various Types Of Roofing Sheet In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.