Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,616 members, 7,816,532 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:44 PM

Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari (14384 Views)

We’re Ready To Work For Free, Say Buhari’s Ministers / Shocking!: Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari / "Abacha Never Stole" Says Buhari As Published 2008 By Thisday Newspaper (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari by redsun(m): 10:14pm On Feb 19, 2011
Nsiman:

Has any country refund loots pointing at obj's?

You all can see halliburton case dying korokoro right before your faces and still you wondering why obasanjo loots have not been recovered and refunded to nigerian children yet.

Obj and the rest of nigerian frontline politicians tend to be above the law of nigeria right now and until we,concerned nigerians change the rules and let the rule of law abide,they will continue to trample on our heads and the country will continue to go down the drain.
Re: Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari by Abagworo(m): 12:12am On Feb 20, 2011
In as much as this is a pretty old topic,we need to free our minds from bias and do necessary comparisons.

Abacha ruled 1993 to 1998 and oil price ranged between 8 to 12 Dollar per barrel.

Obasanjo ruled from 1999 to 2007 and oil ranged between 40 and 150 dollars per barrel.

2007 to 2011 oil ranged between 60 to 100 dollars.
Re: Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari by Nobody: 12:30am On Feb 20, 2011
Abagworo:

In as much as this is a pretty old topic,we need to free our minds from bias and do necessary comparisons.

Abacha ruled 1993 to 1998 and oil price ranged between 8 to 12 Dollar per barrel.

Obasanjo ruled from 1999 to 2007 and oil ranged between 40 and 150 dollars per barrel.

2007 to 2011 oil ranged between 60 to 100 dollars.

where did al the billions in the eca go?

and this is under less than a year of mr fresh air.

figures that put ibbs gulf oil windfal to shame. and some liars blather about fresh air.

the goons pushing the drunken fisherman cannot answer these questions

small wonder they will do anything to stop buhari

if buhai gets in, gej will have a lot to answer for as regards to that money

the best these gej twats can come up with is the usual feeble - it is our [ND] money, so what if gej squanders it?
Re: Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari by marvix(m): 5:30am On Feb 20, 2011
I wonder y pple kip screaming ECA, wat was the ECA meant for, did u not read the IMF reports, we should have devalued our naira instead d govt is holding out the naira and this is done by financing the Economy nd d budgets. The ECA was set up for the rainy days and the same PDP govt that set up the ECA have defined now as the rainy day why are those who neva supported d idea in d first place now crying blue murder.

$16b in the power projects have been long proven to be a farce, only $3b had been disbursed at the time of the investigation, Yaradua went thru all necessary procedures to ensure that funds for the NIPP are fully backed by law.

The haliburton scandal predates our democratic dispensation so what are we insinuating, this is election period and GEJ is interested in winning fairly and his supporters believe it is possible, so if Buhari can find it convenient to tell us that Abacha never looted may this not be a pointer that Buhari has learnt a vital lesson he hopes 2 put in use if allowed into the Aso villa.

For all those blivin Buhari would probe GEJ read up d article, Abdulsalami said its a waste of time and money probing past leaders and on this I agree very much, even when Yaradua stated tha Objs administration spent $10b on power with nothing to show for it, he did not set up any panel to start probing,it was d house of reps dat went into d jamboree and from insight we can all answer how far we went as a nation?
Re: Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari by Nsiman(m): 7:01am On Feb 20, 2011
@ oyb, the contracts for power generation recently awarded, where did the money come from? Do u think it is from our N4trln annual budget?
Re: Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari by babytoun: 9:50am On Mar 31, 2011
See the comment of buhari on sanni abacha. This his anti-corruption garb is fraud.

- From Ibrahim Shuaibu in KanoViewed 1466 Times Rating: by 0 users
The late military Head of State, Gen. Sani Abacha, did not loot the national treasury contrary to the general impression, two military former heads of state have said.

Gen. Muhammadu Buhari, who ruled Nigeria between 1983 and 1985, and his successor, Gen. Ibrahim Babangida, gave Abacha the clean bill in Kano yesterday after the rememberance prayers marking 10 years of the death of Abacha, who ruled between 1993 and 1998.

Abacha was accused of stealing nearly £5 billion while in office, out of which over $1 billion has reportedly been recovered from various sources around the world.

But Babangida, who described Abacha as a “courageous, loyal and honest military head of state who stood for the unity and development of the country during his years in government”, has dismissed the allegations.

He said the looting allegations against Abacha were unfounded and baseless, stressing that “it is not true that he looted public treasury. I knew who Abacha was because I was close to him”.

Babangida said: “Abacha was a courageous person who stood firmly in handling the affairs of the country during his regime.”

He added that the regime of Abacha brought positive changes in the country which should have been emulated.

He said 10 years after the death of Abacha, his contributions to the nation’s economy remain indelible.

“There is no doubt, during his administration as head of state, Abacha contributed his best to the nation’s economy which we are still enjoying,” he said.

Babangida’s new position however contrasts with what he told Newswatch magazine in July 2000.

He had said: “The revelations [on Abacha’s loot] surprised me. I am surprised, because I didn't know.”

He had also explained that Abacha's death brought "relative stability", adding that "it gives us, oh well, let's see, there is hope after all".

Babangida, in that interview, also blamed the society for allowing Abacha to grow into the dictator he became.

"I feel bad that society failed to realise that they have a duty to protect whatever values they hold dear to their hearts as far as this country is concerned. At any rate, there are people I like and do respect those who stood against the regime, who are not military officers but civilians who are able to speak out. They didn't mince words and if their views had been heard, he wouldn't have [done enough harm]," he had said in response to a question.

[size=25pt]Buhari, in his own comments yesterday, described the allegations of looting against Abacha as “baseless”, because according to him, “ten years after Abacha, those allegations remain unproven because of lack of facts”.[/size]

While also commenting, former Head of State, General Abdulsalami Abubakar, who took over when Abacha died on June 8, 1998, commended his predecessor for initiating Vision 2010, saying that the economic vision of the present administration termed Vision 2020 is a replica of Abacha’s 2010 initiative.

Abubakar also tasked Nigerian politicians to concentrate on how best to contribute to national development instead wasting time and money investigating their predecessors, adding that probing past administrations “does not yield anything positive to the nation and should be discouraged”.

Babangida also spoke on the probe of his government by the immediate past administration, saying: “We are still waiting for the outcome of the probe.”

The three former leaders sat close to one another during the special prayer session which started exactly 10am and lasted for over one hour at an open compound belonging to the family of the former head of state.

The prayer session was attended by former Abacha’s aides, Emirs of Hadejia, Gumel, Jema’a and Chief Fredrick Fasehun of Odua Peoples Congress (OPC).

Re: Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari by Nobody: 10:33am On Mar 31, 2011
Buhari belongs to the gang of military elites who held this country to ransome since independence.

A vote for him is vote to send Nigeria backwards.
Re: Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari by efisher(m): 12:13pm On Mar 31, 2011
I recommend Buhari sees a doctor for making that statement.

It would have been more reasonable if it was: "Buhari never stole, says Abacha". At least we all know Abacha is a deciever. Even Abacha himself will feel insulted by this.
Re: Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari by Beaf: 12:38pm On Mar 31, 2011
[size=14pt]Buhari claims Abacha never stole a dime, because he was Abacha's thief[/size]. During Buhari's time in Abacha's PTF, N2.5billion went walkies (don't confuse this with the $2.8 NNPC money Buhari "mislaid"wink.
I am not surprised that Abacha's son has found his way into CPC.
Re: Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari by juman(m): 1:44pm On Mar 31, 2011
Nigeria = Waste of time

This is a very very bad country. Break up is the best way out.

There are many many problems.
Re: Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari by brotherly: 1:52pm On Mar 31, 2011
Wow, what a statement. Why am I not surprised.

This man is surely not our hope of fighting corruption. He just keeps making Jonathan look the lesser devil in this election. Somehow I remember Buhari was busy enjoying Abacha's Govt when the entire nation was seeking God's help to deliver us .
Re: Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari by seal777(m): 2:03pm On Mar 31, 2011
Having read tru the post ,i felt embarrased as an english student.
Babangidas statement after the demise of Abacha was strictly quoted '' '' by the poster to support his evil intention.
Can anyone give me a single quoted statement of buhari saying abacha did nt steal govt funds?, JUST ONE.
We had no PHD like GEJ bt we re more intelligent than him and his stray supporters.
THE FEAR OF BB is the begining of wisdom.Beware: BB fever is all over.
Re: Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari by 10cirenoh: 2:06pm On Mar 31, 2011
Just show me a reputable media house that carried this news, this NEWS is full of FALSEHOOD, let the poster post another source, reputable one with an address that can be traced, not some useless blog.
Re: Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari by babytoun: 2:08pm On Mar 31, 2011
seal777:

Having read tru the post ,i felt embarrased as an english student.
Babangidas statement after the demise of Abacha was strictly quoted '' '' by the poster to support his evil intention.
Can anyone give me a single quoted statement of buhari saying abacha did nt steal govt funds?, JUST ONE.
We had no PHD like GEJ bt we re more intelligent than him and his stray supporters.
THE FEAR OF BB is the begining of wisdom.Beware: BB fever is all over.

If you did not see this , then please proceed to an optometrist

[size=25pt]
Buhari, in his own comments yesterday, described the allegations of looting against Abacha as “baseless”, because according to him, “ten years after Abacha, those allegations remain unproven because of lack of facts”.
[/size]
Re: Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari by Abagworo(m): 2:09pm On Mar 31, 2011
I will like to actually see any evidence of Abacha stealing from Federation account.I somehow believe a Ghaddafi kind of witch hunt by the Western powers was Abacha's offence and nothing more.

Abacha had some businesses running that does not belong to the Nigerian state and I would like to know if it is the money from those businesses that is being referred to as loot.
Re: Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari by babytoun: 2:20pm On Mar 31, 2011
Abagworo:

I will like to actually see any evidence of Abacha stealing from Federation account.I somehow believe a Ghaddafi kind of witch hunt by the Western powers was Abacha's offence and nothing more.

Abacha had some businesses running that does not belong to the Nigerian state and I would like to know if it is the money from those businesses that is being referred to as loot.

Arent you ashamed for this useless statement you just made. nonsense.

Is it the same Abacha that was running dual exchange rates 22 naira and 84 naira all to enrich himself that you are trying to defend all becuase you feel you need to put up a very lame defence for Buhari? come see evidence inside my nose. rubbish.
Re: Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari by Beaf: 2:21pm On Mar 31, 2011
Abagworo:

No, Abacha didn't steal. In fact his family fed Nigeria. Ode! angry
Re: Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari by Nobody: 2:23pm On Mar 31, 2011
I have looked at the performance of the Nigerian economy under Abacha and things were much better for Nigerians in those days than they are today - I am sure many of u would agree.

I then wondered who gave Nigerians the idea that Abacha looted and remembered that it was the very dishonest OBJ and his Western nation masters.  

It got me wondering, may be he really did not loot  / So I wonder is this a just a smear campaign /propaganda by OBJ and the Western nations against Abacha because he refused to dance to their tune undecided

I asked people in another to provide credible evidence that  Abacha looted , so far all i have was a bbc story about money the swiss bank has returned to Nigeria. Is it possible for BBC to run such a story without it being fed to them by OBJ?

I do not honestly know whether Abacha was a looter or not and and I am keeping an open mind on the issue.

It would be interesting to learn what wikileaks have to say about which Nigerian leaders looted (not that wikileaks is always factual).

Please if you have a good argument / evidence to persuade me either way, please let me have it.

On another note there is no proof that Buhari actually said those exact words other than a report from 2 newspapers - we know that such news papers can sometimes be biased and mischievious.
Re: Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari by Nobody: 2:31pm On Mar 31, 2011
Oya !!

lets see your credible evidence /  arguments, after all if Abacha was such a big looter there must be loads of credible evidence / arguments that you could provide easily.
Beaf:

No, Abacha didn't steal. In fact his family fed Nigeria. Ode! angry
babytoun:

Arent you ashamed for this useless statement you just made. nonsense.

Is it the same Abacha that was running dual exchange rates 22 naira and 84 naira all to enrich himself that you are trying to defend all becuase you feel you need to put up a very lame defence for Buhari? come see evidence inside my nose. rubbish.
Re: Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari by slimghost(m): 2:32pm On Mar 31, 2011
Oga Buhari the stupid aboki!!!!! grin grin grin grin
Re: Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari by babytoun: 2:53pm On Mar 31, 2011
GenBuhari:

Oya !!

lets see your credible evidence / arguments, after all if Abacha was such a big looter there must be loads of credible evidence / arguments that you could provide easily.

Since you have chosen to play the ostrich here. let me ask you, can you provide the evidence you have that OBJ is corrupt? arent you part of those who have severally posted that OBJ is a thief? I am not making a case for OBJ but please provide evidence. so that we can start talking seriously on Abacha. I just cant believe anyone in his right frame of mind, expecially someone that presents himself as the hope to curb corruption in this country, making this statement.
Re: Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari by 1025: 3:08pm On Mar 31, 2011
if we look at nigerian from 1999 till date, we will all appreciate abacha as a military leader and have the boldness to call him a saint.
invistigations show that obasanjo was worth N20,000 in his account in 1999 but who can say for now.

like i said, life under abacha is much more pleasant and better than this occultic kingdom pdp has turned nigeria into.
Re: Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari by aletheia(m): 3:22pm On Mar 31, 2011
Abagworo:

^^Help your self.

"In addition to freezing about USD 640 million, the Swiss judicial authorities handling the case have also indicted Mohammed Abacha and Atiku Bagudu under Swiss legislation concerning money-laundering, fraud and taking part in a criminal organisation"

http://www.assetrecovery.org/kc/resources/org.apache.wicket.Application/repo?nid=78488349-a33e-11dc-bf1b-335d0754ba85

"In the context of those proceedings, the Federal Republic of Nigeria was able to demonstrate that Mohammed ABACHA had failed to disclose his assets in Switzerland and in Luxembourg, which exceeded 1.1 billion US$. This lack of disclosure had, however, no direct effect on the proceedings (although of course it dented Mohammed ABACHA’s credibility as a witness). In July 2001, separate proceedings were commenced before the High Court of Justice of London, relating to the embezzlement of 2 billion US$ from the Central Bank of Nigeria under false security pretences

http://www.icc-ccs.org/home/fraudnet/publications/finish/5/46
Re: Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari by efisher(m): 3:23pm On Mar 31, 2011
In a bid to justify a thief, they have chosen to justify a bigger thief! Are these amnesiac BB supporters trying to tell us that Abacha won a lottery and shared the proceeds with their superhero? If not, tell us where Abacha got all the money he stashed away in foreign accounts from.
Re: Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari by Nobody: 3:24pm On Mar 31, 2011
Gbam!
That is a credible argument against OBJ as it is obvious for us all to see.

Obj himself told Nigerians he spent $16billion ( N4trillion) on Power but nobody has witnessed any improvement - another credible arguement against OBJ

OBJ ruled Nigeria during period of record oil prices with access to approx $200-300billion of oil revenue, yet nobody saw any tangible infrastructural development.

OBJ was bankrupt in 1999, on leaving office in 2007 he boasted that he is employing 6000 people in his farm

Of course OBJ is linked to Halliburton case

All the above are credible arguments against OBJ

Can u at least provide similar credible arguments against Abacha?

Remember  I am not saying Abacha never looted oh!! but I just want to keep an open mind and see the evidence first.
1025:

if we look at nigerian from 1999 till date, we will all appreciate abacha as a military leader and have the boldness to call him a saint.
invistigations show that obasanjo was worth N20,000 in his account in 1999 but who can say for now.

like i said, life under abacha is much more pleasant and better than this occultic kingdom pdp has turned nigeria into.
Re: Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari by efisher(m): 3:29pm On Mar 31, 2011
I am beginning to think that this GenBuhari guy is 12 years old! If not, you will not be talking about keeping an open mind and 'seeing evidence' of the loot. GenBuhari, when you get to Secondary School, you will learn about Nigerian history. Before then, stick to the social studies you are being taught in school. You will be needing it.
Re: Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari by Beaf: 3:30pm On Mar 31, 2011
1025:

[size=33pt]Lets just create a new political party:
Buhari people luv'n Abacha! (BPLA) grin grin grin[/size]

www.nairaland.com/attachments/180447_ROTFLMAO_gif3d0c775232c7f27cf80592785b9635b6
Re: Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari by slimghost(m): 3:31pm On Mar 31, 2011
efisher:

I am beginning to think that this GenBuhari guy is 12 years old! If not, you will not be talking about keeping an open mind and 'seeing evidence' of the loot. GenBuhari, when you get to Secondary School, you will learn about Nigerian history. Before then, stick to the social studies you are being taught in school. You will be needing it.

What do u expect from a dumb Northerner? him na Aboki naa!!!! grin grin
Re: Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari by Nobody: 3:41pm On Mar 31, 2011
Sorry aletheia,
but ur link never proved Abacha looted, it simply an article written by an unknown individual who stated that OBJ accused Abacha of looting.

Common aletheia/ Beaf/ efisher, put me out of my misery and give  me a killer credible evidence or argument to shut me up grin

aletheia:

http://www.assetrecovery.org/kc/resources/org.apache.wicket.Application/repo?nid=78488349-a33e-11dc-bf1b-335d0754ba85
^^Help your self.

Re: Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari by efisher(m): 3:57pm On Mar 31, 2011
GenBuhari, inasmuch as I do not support the BB ticket, I do not think it fair that you have decided to dig the wounds of your superhero. You are making him look even worse than he already is with your posts. The old man has made his mistake by making such a statement. Why not let him be and allow him lick his wound? Be fair to your own. Meanwhile, the FRESH AIR CAMP is still open. You are free to come in for some fresh air. cool
Re: Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari by bkbabe97y(m): 4:03pm On Mar 31, 2011
And, you know what I call these allegations? HOG-WASH!!!

This is most likely the kinda crap we read . . . .

Anyone remember how it was falsely reported that Gen.Buhari was advocating violence? Or that he wanted to implement sharia in the United States and England?!

Straight-up crap thats what this story is!
Re: Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari by 10cirenoh: 4:07pm On Mar 31, 2011
[size=13pt]SHOW US A CREDIBLE SOURCE THE BUHARI MADE THAT STATEMENT APART FROM THE FACELESS BLOG YOU QUOTED, DIDN'T ANY CREDIBLE MEDIA HOUSE REPORT THE CASE? IF YES, WHICH ONE? AND CAN YOU PLS POST THE CREDIBLE SOURCE FOR ALL TO SEE?[/size]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Igbos Were Treated In The North - Ena Ofugara From Urhobo / Panama Papers: David Mark Denies Having Eight Offshore Companies / Flawed Bwari Judgement Against Senator Adeleke Can Not Stand - Adeleke Campaign

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.