Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,622 members, 7,816,563 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:12 PM

Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari (14386 Views)

We’re Ready To Work For Free, Say Buhari’s Ministers / Shocking!: Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari / "Abacha Never Stole" Says Buhari As Published 2008 By Thisday Newspaper (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari by bkbabe97y(m): 2:11pm On Apr 01, 2011
shikaan:

if not for us? Hu is us? U nd hu? B carefully. Dnt make me tel u sumtin dat wil get u depresd.am telin u.

PPL DAT TYP3 LYK3 DIS R ----GOING TO HELL!!!

Its in the Bible, Biyyytch!!!!
Re: Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari by freezy(m): 3:11pm On Apr 01, 2011
BB fans really are sumn else.
Re: Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari by jamace(m): 4:36pm On Apr 01, 2011
Re: Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari by 10cirenoh: 4:57pm On Apr 01, 2011
aletheia:

Because Nigerian newspaper websites are poorly designed with no archives: you guys think you can rewrite the history of events that we lived through abi? Thank God for allafrica.com that archives newspaper articles, we can retrieve the news reports of Buhari exonerating Abacha in 2008.

First help yourself this screenshot of the old ThisDay website from Google's cache.

Next I will be serving up. . .screenshots from the allafrica.com archives.

Just quote from another media house, not thisday(pdp) media house where BUHARI SAID ABACHA DID NOT STEAL ANY MONEY. just quote it, don't show me any quote from thisday man.

I mean from another paper especially the allafrica you posted, where did he say it didn't steal the way it was posted at the begining of this thread, just quote Buhari saying that from the news article (allafrica).

Thank you.
Re: Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari by efisher(m): 6:46pm On Apr 01, 2011
^ Which 5 Nigerian newspapers do you recognise? Give me names and I assure you, you will get the link. Don't be scared. It wont hurt that much.
Re: Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari by aletheia(m): 7:38pm On Apr 01, 2011
10cirenoh:

Just quote from another media house, not thisday(pdp) media house where BUHARI SAID ABACHA DID NOT STEAL ANY MONEY. just quote it,

It is true that people fail to see things that go against their closely cherished delusions.

Please refer to this post: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-607825.64.html#msg8030136

You will see that it is from the Leadership Newspaper (I deliberately included it because I knew you people will hide under the excuse of ThisDay). The ball is now in your court. Pay attention to the portions underlined in red.
Re: Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari by karlmax2: 8:16pm On Apr 01, 2011
Where are the blind BB supporters BUHARI SLAVE to a world know criminal ABACHA DYNESTY
Re: Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari by babytoun: 8:56pm On Apr 01, 2011
I am beginning to see reasons why this corrupt sharia zealot called Buhari must be fully exposed.
Re: Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari by Nobody: 9:02pm On Apr 01, 2011
you PDP supporters are really snatiching at straws on this one grin cheesy
Re: Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari by bkbabe97y(m): 9:05pm On Apr 01, 2011
karl max:

Where are the blind BB supporters BUHARI SLAVE to a world know criminal ABACHA DYNESTY

Is it just me or is it true that most of GEJ's supporters are usually Semi-Illiterates?
Re: Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari by babytoun: 9:09pm On Apr 01, 2011
GenBuhari:

you PDP supporters are really snatiching at straws on this one 

Is that your best punch?

I am not a PDP supporter for all I care i will only vote for GEJ in the presidential election. We are voting candidates. My point remains that Buhari is not a saint as he fraudulently claims. Somehow I have come to see that once Nigerians start seeing Buhari for who he is with respect to corruption , you guys have nothing else to sell.
Re: Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari by MaiSuya(m): 9:17pm On Apr 01, 2011
All Buhari haters, its time to take a break, Ok? I getting sick of this.
Re: Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari by efisher(m): 10:08pm On Apr 01, 2011
OK, GAME OVER. OBVIOUSLY, THE BB GROUP HAS GIVEN UP.

We therefore conclude that BB supporters are scared to their bones. For failing to face the challenge, I will provide just one nice cool link from the most widely read newspaper in Nigeria (PUNCH):

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art2008061414595220

In our usual brotherly manner, we remind you that the fresh air camp is still open. Though you have trapped yourselves in a rathole, we do not mind welcoming you with open arms. You remain Nigerians and we wish you goodluck all the same.

[size=21pt]Fresh Air 2011!!  [/size] cool

Re: Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari by aletheia(m): 10:43pm On Apr 01, 2011
^Thanks; I actually forgot about the Punch Newspaper; so I didn't extend my search to their archives.

Here's more:

[size=16pt]Ex-leaders and Abacha loot[/size]

By Editorial Board

Monday, 23 Jun 2008

In their collective bid to clear General Sani Abacha of any misdeed during his evil rule, three former Heads of State recently confirmed the general belief that leadership is the bane of the nation’s development. The three former Nigerian leaders, Generals Ibrahim Babangida, Muhammadu Buhari and Abdulsalami Abubakar, came out in defence of the late Abacha’s five-year reign of terror and debauchery at the 10th anniversary lecture in Abacha’s memory.

In their different speeches, they declared that the allegations of looting against the late General were baseless and unfounded. General Babangida, who ruled between 1985 and 1993, said he knew who Abacha was and described him as a courageous, loyal and honest leader, who stood for the country’s unity and development during his five-year regime. He emphatically said that it was not true that Abacha looted the public treasury and insisted that “Abacha contributed his best to the nation’s economy which we are still enjoying.”

While General Abubakar eulogised the late Abacha for initiating Vision 2010, General Buhari described the allegations of looting against the late dictator as lacking in credibility. For Abdulsalami who became Head of State when Abacha suddenly died on June 8, 1998, the Yar’Adua administration’s economic Vision 2020 is a replica of Abacha’s Vision 2010 initiative. He therefore tasked the nation’s leaders to concentrate on how best to contribute to national development instead of wasting time and money investigating their predecessors. The General added that probing past administrations “does not yield anything positive to the nation and should be discouraged.”

In his contribution, General Buhari who ruled the country between December 1983 and August 1985, praised Abacha for ensuring the participation of former Heads of State in the Council of State meetings, the establishment of the Petroleum Trust Fund and the sanitisation of the banking and financial systems. Buhari declared: “Ten years without the late Abacha, the said allegations remain silent because there are no facts.”

[size=14pt]But quite contrary to the Generals’ picture of Abacha as a saint, it is on record that the late maximum ruler allegedly stole between $3bn and $5bn. The recovery of Abacha’s loot was one of the first major assignments undertaken by the Abubakar administration in 1998. A data released by the World Bank, under a new initiative called Stolen Assets Recovery (STAR) in 2007, stated that Nigeria had recovered a total of $505.5 million from Swiss authorities, being money stolen and stashed away by the late military ruler, General Sani Abacha.

Recently, the Charge d’affaires of the Swiss Embassy, Mr. Fabio Baiaradi, confirmed that his country returned $40 million to Nigeria, which was the last tranche of repatriated funds from the Abacha loot. He said at the end of January 2006 that “the Abacha family had failed to prove the legality of this sum.”
[/size]
Indeed, the former dictators have been emboldened to rewrite history because none of them has been formally tried and brought to justice. For instance, General Babangida asserted on the occasion that he was still waiting for the outcome of the probe of his administration. But it is on record that as much as $12.2 billion of Gulf War oil windfall was frittered away under his watch.

Certainly, all the former leaders that looted the nation’s treasury will be brought to book one day as it happened elsewhere. Former Nicaraguan President Arnoldo Aleman, who ruled the nation from 1997 to 2002, was sentenced to 20 years imprisonment for corruption. Likewise, though released in October 2007, former Philippine leader, Joseph Estrada was jailed for life for embezzling about $80m while in power.

In 2004, Transparency International’s report said that corruption in Argentina reached the lowest level in 20 years because the country’s former leaders had been brought to book on graft charges. It will be difficult for Nigeria to make any significant progress if its corrupt leaders are left to enjoy their loot.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20080623021487

Reactions:

The Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project and the Committee for the Defence of Human Rights on Tuesday faulted statements credited to former Generals Muhammadu Buhari, Abdulsalami Abubakar and Ibrahim Babangida that the late Gen. Sani Abacha did not loot the nation’s treasury.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20080611232489

General Muhammadu Buhari’s latest comment, alongside his military colleagues, generals Ibrahim Babangida and Abdulsalami Abubakar, exonerating the late General Sani Abacha of financial misappropriation while in office, has been described as a big disappointment to Nigerians.

According to a respondent, “Some of us have, over the years, come to look up to Buhari as a disciplined and incorruptible gentleman; but his latest comment has made us to start having a rethink.”

The respondent was of the opinion that Nigerians could excuse Babangida and Abubakar for making such statements because, he argued, everyone knows their stand on corruption, but not Buhari.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200806182544014

A former military governor of Kaduna State, Col. Abubakar Umar (rtd), on Monday in Kaduna, described those exonerating the late head of state,General Sani Abacha from the looting of the nation’s treasury as hypocrites.

He argued that those [Buhari, Babangida & Abdulsalaam] who used the 10th year anniversary prayers for the late Abacha in Kano to canvass the point that the deceased former military leader should not be held responsible for the massive looting which took place while his tenure lasted, were insincere.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20080611145145
Re: Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari by 10cirenoh: 5:33am On Apr 02, 2011
aletheia:

^Thanks; I actually forgot about the Punch Newspaper; so I didn't extend my search to their archives.

Here's more:

Reactions:

You still hasn't said anything different from what your pals have been saying, i said quote Buhari where he said Abacha didn't steal, all he said was that all the allegation against Abacha hasn't been confirmed, they were all allegations that were not verified by the law court, all we kept hearing was "money returned from swissbank" Abacha couldn't have been the sole person sending the money there, there should have been other people involve in the stealing, why hasn't anyone of these people been tried and jailed? or did Abacha singlehandedly open the account, carry money from Nigeria down there without using someone or some people to have that done?

Anyways back to what you claim Buhari said, like your papers said, he said "all the allegations against Abacha are yet to be confirmed nor has he been found guilty since there are no facts nor evidence to back it up".

One more thing, i heard his son was been tried, the last time i saw him, he was walking around a free man, so if his father or himself stole that much, why hasn't PDP and cohort jailed him for stealing that much and why hasn't he be made to vomit whichever money he stole?
Re: Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari by efisher(m): 7:14am On Apr 02, 2011
^ My good friend, that debate has long been concluded. It's stuffy in there. Come out, Relax and have a breath of FRESH AIR.
Re: Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari by aletheia(m): 2:45pm On Apr 02, 2011
10cirenoh:

i said quote Buhari where he said Abacha didn't steal, all he said was that all the allegation against Abacha hasn't been confirmed, they were all allegations that were not verified by the law court, all we kept hearing was "money returned from swissbank"
In a way I pity you. You refuse to accept the truth because you are under the effect of cognitive dissonance. Let me help you make the logical connection

1) Buhari made this statement in 2008. Go to post #92 here. Look again at the newspaper extracts especially the parts underlined in red. Even a child that can read understands that Buhari said Abacha was not corrupt.

2) Go to post #78 here: download the attached pdf. Visit the included link, for the court judgments. They are in German/French. You can use Google Translate

3) The highpoint of the Abacha case was 2005. So I guess that Buhari thought by 2008, Nigerians would have forgotten about it, so he told that egregious lie.

10cirenoh:

Abacha couldn't have been the sole person sending the money there, there should have been other people involve in the stealing, why hasn't anyone of these people been tried and jailed? or did Abacha singlehandedly open the account, carry money from Nigeria down there without using someone or some people to have that done?
Of course, Sani Abacha was aided and abetted by Mohammed Abacha and others. "Carry money"? Do you think money laundering involves physically ferrying cash? *smh*

10cirenoh:

Anyways back to what you claim Buhari said, like your papers said, he said "all the allegations against Abacha are yet to be confirmed nor has he been found guilty since there are no facts nor evidence to back it up".
Cognitive dissonance.

10cirenoh:

One more thing, i heard his son was been tried, the last time i saw him, he was walking around a free man, so if his father or himself stole that much, why hasn't PDP and cohort jailed him for stealing that much and why hasn't he be made to vomit whichever money he stole?
Cognitive dissonance. Your statement shows you did not read a single post. Mohammed Abacha has been made to vomit some of what he stole.
For more answers to your question go here and here

And since you don't believe Nigerian newspapers, try here
Re: Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari by Dave6: 4:03pm On Apr 02, 2011
Well, from what I can see there are a lot of links/references to show that Buhari made such a statement in 2008. All the newspapers just couldn't gang up to publish lies against him.

But think deeply for a while here pls; It is said that Buhari is a very principled person who would not want to associate himself with any form of corruption and many of his supporters date this attribute from when he was a military ruler.
The Question: Why did he decide to be part of Abacha's government despite his strict principles?
No, seriously, we all know how Abacha's gov't was. So gist like the gov't wasn't corrupt shouldn't even come up.

And one more tthing, if Buhari could say allegations of Abacha's looting were not backed by facts, I really wonder what sort of war on corruption he would embark upon when given a slight opportunity to be president; at least, from past records we would expect it to look something like his executed PTF projects. Won't we?
Re: Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari by efisher(m): 4:07pm On Apr 02, 2011
@Dav.e,
My brother, that is exactly what we have been drumming into the heads of Nigerians ooo. Especially the educated ones who should not easily be swayed by intangible and unmeasurable superhero abilities.
Re: Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari by Dave6: 5:22pm On Apr 02, 2011
@ efisher
I can understand with the BB followers; many Nigerians have gone through a lot of pain through most of the 12 years of democracy, of which PDP had been the ruling party.
But still, this BB thing is not the way.
It's just a campaign driven largely by emotion and sentiment.
Apart from 'removing the PDP', what else is there to achieve?
I and many well-meaning Nigerians on ground (and not on the internet pls) refuse to be taken away by this online 'wildfire' of display of tantrums and sentiments.
What I will support and be part of is a credible and formidable opposition built up not months toward elections, but from day 1 of inaugration of President GEJ, regardless of his efforts in the following 4 years, with the sole aim of achieving the Best for my country, my generation, for me.

For BB supporters,
you all know within your hearts that the sole reason you support Buhari s because you want a political party (PDP) out of power ( Understandable ), and you know your CPC candidate is not the candidate we (Nigerians) sought for. This is not a game of football. This is your future!
I try to imagine a Buhari-led gov't, sincerely, I see no difference. It might even get worse.
Pls support your Buhari to the polls. But I advise you, from the moment the results are announced, make up your mind to begin the build-up of a formidable and credible opposition, driven by true and selfless passion, being represnted by true individuals with the interest of our nation as a whole at heart.
Re: Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari by efisher(m): 5:37pm On Apr 02, 2011
Exactly.

I will gladly support a Sanusi Lamido / Raji Fashola or Okonjo Iweala ticket on a stronger platform like ACN or whateva party they choose. Of the current opposition parties, the Ribadu / Adeola ticket is even far better than the BB ticket. If you look at the big picture, they have more to offer.

We need an opposition that is not just an "opposition" but a better alternative. BB has only promised probes, probes and probes for the next 4 years. A more serious candidate will promise probes AS WELL AS have detailed plans for addressing the key issues we face. It is like what happened to the Israelites when they left Egypt (Military Rule). It took them so much time to get to the promise land and that made them desire to go back to Egypt! Look at the topics discussed in the forum and see topics like:

"Was the military rule better?" or,
"Did the colonial masters leave us too early?"

Those questions sound very much like: "Should we bring back Buhari?" or "Should we bring back IBB?". These ideas are a result of frustration with the process of change. If we really need change, we should go for outright change and not try to recycle Something out of Nothing.
Re: Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari by Dave6: 5:56pm On Apr 02, 2011
Exactly!
Re: Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari by gymer(m): 8:55pm On Apr 03, 2011
God bless Alitheia, Agaba123 and Efisher (Amen). I am impress with your debt of knowledge on issues. I have been well educated with your information on Buhari. I cannot be deceived. GEJ has my vote.
Re: Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari by efisher(m): 8:58pm On Apr 03, 2011
^ Amen. You are welcome.  wink

Goodluck to you, Goodluck Nigeria.
Re: Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari by Nobody: 11:47am On Apr 04, 2011
Abacha probably looted .

Abacha is now deceased.

Nobody has provided credeible proof that BUhari said Abacha never looted.

If Buhari commented about Abacha and looting, what was his exact words?

We know that two or more news papers carried the same claim, does that automatically make it accurate?

There is no credible evidence that Buhari said those words.
Re: Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari by babytoun: 12:08pm On Apr 13, 2011
This self-acclaimed anti_corruption czar after absolving Abacha of corruption is now working with IBB and another known criminal Abdul- salami abubakar to win the presidential elections in a bid to sustain the zoning he has hitherto publicly disdained.
Re: Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari by Nobody: 7:45pm On Apr 13, 2011
Integrity, Competence with Humility

Be wise with your vote!!

[flash=850,500]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acd4f_miAvA?version=3[/flash]
Re: Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari by aletheia(m): 8:16pm On Apr 13, 2011
^^
Go to the streets and campaign. Spamming multiple threads is not going to help your cause.
Re: Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari by recoome(m): 9:51am On Apr 14, 2011
What do u expect when they both shared it together.
Re: Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari by babytoun: 5:44pm On Apr 15, 2011
Yes o Abacha is a saint in BB's book of anti-corruption
Re: Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari by Nobody: 12:12pm On Mar 25, 2012
It is now clear to me that Buhari was right and Abacha never looted.

Evil twosome of Babangida and Obasanjo conspired and manufactured witnesses and evidence in foreign courts to make it appear Abacha looted, in order to discredit him.

https://www.nairaland.com/823498/abacha-patriotic-never-stole-obasanjo/11#10457933
Re: Abacha Never Stole, Say Buhari by rozayx5(m): 8:55am On Dec 15, 2014
yes he was a saint. cause u called him one undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Panama Papers: David Mark Denies Having Eight Offshore Companies / EFCC DISCOVERY "Theatrics": What Magu Should Learn From The Nigeria Police / Facts And Documents Why Atiku Abubakar Can't Travel To America... Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.