Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,836 members, 7,956,155 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 05:57 AM

At Last, Thierry Henry Is Off To Barca - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / At Last, Thierry Henry Is Off To Barca (9489 Views)

Arsenal Offer Thierry Henry Two-month Loan Deal / Real Lose To Barca Again! -letter To God / Why Is Thierry Henry Mediocre In Major Tournaments? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: At Last, Thierry Henry Is Off To Barca by Razorr(f): 12:29pm On Jun 23, 2007
Tornadoz:

I hope its £16,000,000 plus Eto

Haa haa haa. . . grin grin

Did you just wake up?

It's 16 million without Eto.
Re: At Last, Thierry Henry Is Off To Barca by Honurable(m): 12:33pm On Jun 23, 2007
Arsenal announce Henry departure  

Henry has scored a club record 226 goals in 364 games for Arsenal
Arsenal have confirmed they have reached an agreement with Barcelona for the transfer of striker Thierry Henry.
The deal, thought to be worth about £16m to the Gunners, is subject to the Frenchman, 29, passing a medical, which is set to take place on Monday.

Henry had already announced he intended to end his eight-year stay at Arsenal to sign a four-year deal with Barca.

"I still must pass a medical on Monday but yes, I have chosen Barcelona," he told French sports daily L'Equipe.

Interview: Former Arsenal midfielder Patrick Vieira
Interview: Former Arsenal star Nigel Winterburn
Interview: Former Arsenal star Frank Stapleton

Earlier, Barcelona revealed that they were close to bringing Henry to the Nou Camp, with vice-president Ferran Soriano telling Spanish sports newspaper Marca that talks were at an "advanced" stage.

Soriano added it was "the wish of all parties" for an agreement to be reached for the transfer of Henry.

This is solely my decision, no-one has forced me to do anything

Thierry Henry

He also insisted that Barcelona waited for the green light from Arsenal before making a move for the France international, who is the club's all-time record goalscorer.

"We don't want to point a gun at anybody," said Soriano. "We have good relationships with the European clubs."

Henry, who only agreed a lucrative new deal with Arsenal 12 months ago, also confirmed his exit in The Sun newspaper.

In an open letter, he blamed the shock departure of Gunners vice-chairman David Dein and continuing doubts over the future of manager Arsene Wenger as the main reasons for his decision to leave.

"Arsene has been part of my life for as long as I can remember," he wrote.

"Unfortunately and understandably, he has said that at this moment he will not commit to the club past the expiration of his current deal, which finishes at the end of the coming season.

"I respect his decision and his honesty but I will be 31 at the end of next season and I cannot take the chance to be there without Arsene Wenger and David Dein.

606: DEBATE
Do you think this is a good deal for Arsenal?  

"This is solely my decision, no-one has forced me to do anything and I will represent myself in this transaction. I feel it is something I just had to do."

Henry, who has also been linked with European champions AC Milan, has also revealed why he decided to move to the Nou Camp ahead of other possible destinations.

"Barcelona are a wonderful club steeped in tradition and play beautiful football. I'm sure I will be very happy there," he continued.

"But I will miss the Arsenal fans dearly, they have supported me through thick and thin.

"They will always be in my heart, as will all the fans who make the game here so special. I will always have a special bond with Arsenal Football Club."

Frenchman Henry has long been linked with Barcelona

Henry began his career as a winger with Monaco in 1994 - under the supervision of current Arsenal boss Wenger.

He was in France's 1998 World Cup-winning squad and went on to join Juventus the following season.

But his time in Turin was a largely unsuccessful one and the player was soon heading to north London, with Wenger keen to get the best out of the prodigious talent.

The France international has since blossomed into one of the greatest talents in world football.

He helped Arsenal to two league titles and three FA Cups and led the Gunners to the finals of the 2000 Uefa Cup and 2006 Champions League.

In February 2006, he became the first Arsenal player to score over 200 goals for the club, with a strike against Birmingham, and has bagged a club record 226 goals in 364 appearances for the Gunners.

His consistency in front of goal ensured he finished as the Premier League's top scorer on four occasions.

He has won the Professional Footballers' Association player of the year title on two occasions and the football writers' player of the year three times. He has also twice finished runner-up in the Fifa world player of the year.
Re: At Last, Thierry Henry Is Off To Barca by Iman3(m): 12:39pm On Jun 23, 2007
Tornadoz:

No big deal Henry leaving, the problem is Wenger. If Wenger stays we'll get a new "Henry" in no time.
I hope its £16,000,000 plus Eto

politics. . .you no know,football. . .you no know.Which one you dey sef? grin The deal is almost done and you are still expecting £16 million plus Eto.lol
Re: At Last, Thierry Henry Is Off To Barca by loyika(m): 12:44pm On Jun 23, 2007
Sanity in the House please .

In my life i thought i would be in a situation where nothing really surprises me anymore, (like i told Ruudie, i would be VERY SURPRISED if Wenger had only gotten cash for Henry) but Life has a way of letting you know that "You ain't seen nothing yet!!" shocked and i must admit i was surprised out of my mind when the news was broken to me.

Now i could be tempted to give a speech/write up of what i think of TH14, but i will save that for the strictly gunners thread, Or i could just give my thoughts on Wenger, but nah! I will do that on either Marlet's Wenger thread or JK Henry thread.

What i will say here is, Henry is gone people, those that want to cry cry, should cry, those that want to reminise should go back and watch all the Henry/Arsenal DVDs sad, those that want to move over to Barca or any other club for that matter should go and get their jerseys as the Season hasn't started tongue embarassed. TAKE A PICTURE! LOOK AT IT AND LET IT GO!! Its done and dusted, lets move on.

Will this have rippling effects on Arsenal, NO DOUBT.
Will Arsenal suddenly crumble, NO.
How will the club cope, DEPENDS ON THE GAFFER'S MINDSET.

What is certain is that this is the end of an ERA!! (will look at these more on the strictly gunners thread.

16 mil or not doesn't matter, HE IS GONE, WE MOVE ON.

And so to Thierry Henry, i say thanks for all the memories and magical moments you brought to MY CLUB cool.

We have been blessed to have been a part of your life, and seen you grow from a player who was unsure of his abilities (after your stint at Juve) to one who inadvertently ruled football with your pace, skill and goals.

You let us know that[b] "NO PLAYER IS BIGGER THAN THE CLUB", [/b] as you brought a new hope/spring to Arsenal FC when Anelka left for Real M, so in your case, the same rules apply.

We all would have loved for your career to end at Arsenal, but guess it wasn't meant to be (thats why Dennis Bergy DB10 will personally always be my Hero for Arsenal, and i hope Freddie Lungberg gets his Testimonial as well cool ARSENAL THROUGH AND THROUGH)

Hope you have at least 1 great season at Barca and win your FIFA award which has cruelly been denied you. When all is said and done, and the dust settles, WE ALL MUST MOVE ON. (Soldier go soldier come barrack remains).

ARSENAL FC 1886 - till infinity

cool GOONER 89
Re: At Last, Thierry Henry Is Off To Barca by mukina2: 12:50pm On Jun 23, 2007
loyika:

Sanity in the House please .

In my life i thought i would be in a situation where nothing really surprises me anymore, (like i told Ruudie, i would be VERY SURPRISED if Wenger had only gotten cash for Henry) but Life has a way of letting you know that "You ain't seen nothing yet!!" shocked and i must admit i was surprised out of my mind when the news was broken to me.

Now i could be tempted to give a speech/write up of what i think of TH14, but i will save that for the strictly gunners thread, Or i could just give my thoughts on Wenger, but nah! I will do that on either Marlet's Wenger thread or JK Henry thread.

What i will say here is, Henry is gone people, those that want to cry cry, should cry, those that want to reminise should go back and watch all the Henry/Arsenal DVDs sad, those that want to move over to Barca or any other club for that matter should go and get their jerseys as the Season hasn't started tongue embarassed. TAKE A PICTURE! LOOK AT IT AND LET IT GO!! Its done and dusted, lets move on.

Will this have rippling effects on Arsenal, NO DOUBT.
Will Arsenal suddenly crumble, NO.
How will thge club cope, DEPENDS ON THE GAFFERS MINDSET.

What is certain is that this is the end of and ERA!! (will look at these more on the strictly gunners thread.

16 mil or not doesn't matter, HE IS GONE, WE MOVE ON.

And so to Thierry Henry, i say thanks for all the memories and magical moments you brought to MY CLUB cool.

We have been blessed to have been a part of your life, and seen you grow from a player who was unsure of his abilities (after your stint at Juve) to one who inadvertently ruled football with your pace, skill and goals.

You let us know that[b] "NO PLAYER IS BIGGER THAN THE CLUB", [/b] as you brought a new hope/spring to Arsenal FC when Anelka left for Real M, so in your case, the same rules apply.

We all would have loved for your careerr to end at Arsenal, but guess it wasn't meant to be (thats why Dennis Bergy DB10 will personally always be my Hero for Arsenal, and i hope Freddie Lungberg gets his Testimonial as well cool ARSENAL THROUGH AND THROUGH)

Hope you have at least 1 great season at Barca and win your FIFA award which has cruelly been denied you. When all is said and done, and the dust settles, WE ALL MUST MOVE ON. (Soldier go soldier come barrack remains).

ARSENAL FC 1886 - till infinity

cool GOONER 89

cry cry cry watching those DVD's will just bring back more tears cry who will we buy for 16 million cry cry angry

ARSENAL FC 1886 - till infinity kiss
Re: At Last, Thierry Henry Is Off To Barca by Honurable(m): 12:52pm On Jun 23, 2007
Mada Razzor,
                    Every things is going to work 4 our own good, where Thierry or Eto, Gunners is still going to gun them down in this comming season, do u know how many match match Henry miss last season and we still qualified 4 champions league, don't laugh us madam razzor.
Re: At Last, Thierry Henry Is Off To Barca by Razorr(f): 12:53pm On Jun 23, 2007
WOW! Loyika the journalist! grin grin grin
Re: At Last, Thierry Henry Is Off To Barca by dayokanu(m): 12:55pm On Jun 23, 2007
Congratulations to Thierry Henry!!! though you did it late in your career, It is still the best thing for you to do.

Henry is a player with ambitions unlike Arsenal.
Wenger started well bringing Arsenal from nowhere to European reckoning but I think he got a little bit conceited with his management skills.
When he started he brought in good and experienced players like Petit, Overmars, Bergkamp, Vieira. He later shored them up with the like of Suker, Kanu, Campbell e.t.c though mixing them well with youth like Anelka, Henry, Ashley cole.

But like 3 years ago he started purging the squad of experienced players and bringing in infants now an Arsenal line up would include Denilson, Fabregas, Djourou, Hoyte, Wallcott, even Senderos is turning out to be one of the most experienced players in Arsenal.

After losing the final to Barca henry stayed back and Arsenal promised to bring in great players but what do we get Rosicky, Denilson, Wallcott, Adebayor, Baptista oh gosh!!! Rosicky is a good player but can you say the same about others? Can you tell me the amount spent on Wallcott I am sure with that amount he would have gotten a world class player.

Instead Arsenal have been linked with all the players in this world but never signed any the list is endless. Torres, Eto'o, Ribery[b]( before my team (Bayern Munich) showed them that you dont buy players on the pages of newspaper)
[/b], Abidal, Malouda, Pele, Maradona, Cryuff and even Thunder Balogun but at the end of the day they won't do anything but just make noise.

Arsenal would always claim they are building for the future which future now that Henry has gone, soon Fabregas would go to Madrid and so the team would disintegrate.

Great teams go into market aggresively and make purchases Bayern bought(Lucatoni, Ribery) immediately after an unsatisfactory season, Baca get Henry, Chivu and maybe Yaya toure after an unsatisfactory season.

Arsenal should be aware that from next season only 3 teams from England would be going into the Champions League.Man U, Chelsea are alredy making strong claims and Liverpool too.
Re: At Last, Thierry Henry Is Off To Barca by Seun(m): 12:59pm On Jun 23, 2007
Sources, please?
Re: At Last, Thierry Henry Is Off To Barca by Razorr(f): 1:03pm On Jun 23, 2007
Seun, I guess you just woke up. grin grin grin

Sweety, just go to any football site. grin grin
Re: At Last, Thierry Henry Is Off To Barca by loyika(m): 1:23pm On Jun 23, 2007
Dayokanu

How old was Vieira when he started playing for Arsenal

Suker that missed a Pen for Arsenal against Gala to lose us the UEFA CUP shocked or is ther another Suker that you are refering to

Henry is a player with ambition How many years do you think Henry has left to give at the high stage!? Was (This same) Henry not in the CL final where he couldn't give the killer blow to put Barca to the sword and win Arsenal their first Champs League trophy

Is Rosicky not an experienced player, is he not the Captain of his National side

Are Gallas, Gilberto, Lehman not in the team .

Cesc Fab is a player that is coveted by the Best Clubs, so having him at Arsenal is wonderful.

You mention Walcott This same Walcot was wanted by Chelsea, and other big clubs in England.

In short! My brother, since you are a player supporter, rather than a club supporter, fair enough, When Ballack decided to leave Bayern, why couldn't the GREAT BAYERN hold on to him (granted he didn't really light the Prem on fire grin)

Arsenal won a double before Henry came to the Club, with players that soon retired, Adams, Winterburn, Bould, Dixon. Anelka left to Real M before Henry came and everyone screamed, "HOW WILL ARSENAL COPE!" Petit and Overmars left to Barca and everyone screamed, but we won Laurels after them.

So Dayo, player come and go, Will Oli Kahn be your keeper forever Has Poldolski lived up to all the Hype, cause he is also young, are you guys not thinking of selling Roy Makaay Vieira left, first to Juve (they were relegated and stripped off their medals) then to Inter (they won the Sculleto, but can you mention ONE MAJOR PERFORMANCE THAT VIEIRA GAVE).

How has Edu fared at Valencia How many trophies has he won. At least Pires is doing well at Villareal cool But i don't see them with a trophy .

HENRY IS NOT ARSENAL. Arsenal was in existence before Henry or Cesc Fab, and when they leave as all players will, either through retirement or other factors, the club wll still move on and wax on stronger. Mancs won the League, after Ruud, Keane, Phil Neville, Beckham all left (even if those players garnered successes at their new clubs, at least Neville got to be the Captain of Everton grin)

So Mr. Dayo, Arsenal will live on, will Henry leaving affect things, FOR SURE!! Even Becks leaving Real M and Mancs when he did affected things (Financially and football wise) so ain't nothing new in that. So people get a grip.

cool GOONER 89
Re: At Last, Thierry Henry Is Off To Barca by latadeyek(m): 1:48pm On Jun 23, 2007
well, now that henry has left for barca, who's next wenger? gilberto? ljunberg? gallas? toure?

In my own opinion, wenger will stay beyond next season in arsenal if the take over process is successful, and if the take over process is successful, david dein will definitely come back to arsenal, and wenger will be happy to deliver as usual. But anything apart from this, he cud leave the club.

Below is the view of a fan, and i think i shld share it with u.

copyright Kevin Whitcher 2007
http://www.onlinegooner.com/editorial/index.php?id=61

Firstly, the medical people at the club have informed Wenger that Henry will never be the same, physically, again. He will miss a fair number of games injured due to the wear and tear on his body of so much football since his move to England.

Secondly, the captaincy issue had become a real handicap. Politically, in the summer of 2005, Wenger was effectively forced to hand the parting Patrick Vieira’s captaincy to Henry as anything else would have been a huge snub. At that stage, with two years on his contract remaining and still at the peak of his powers, the player was in the driving seat. With the new stadium on the horizon and 60,000 seats to fill, any extra doubts about the future of the club’s biggest star would have been bad box office. However, good a player as Henry is, he is no great motivator of others. Maybe even too much of a nice guy despite the odd dismissive scowl to junior team-mates. To win trophies on a regular basis, a leader of men is required. The character traits involved are present long before a player reaches his peak footballing years. No criticism of Henry that he was not captaincy material, just an acknowledgment of the reality.

Henry’s last season at the club is widely regarded as a disappointing one. And two of the key factors in Arsenal’s failure were a lack of goals and an absence of team spirit. Sometimes, the goals, and winning key games as a result, can develop said spirit. At other times, the spirit is needed first. Henry could have provided the goals to lift the spirit were he fit, but one doubts as a dressing room presence he could really lift a team if he wasn’t playing or having an off day himself.

Were he able to regain full fitness and be willing to stand down as captain, I would have been delighted had he stayed, but in truth, the latter was very, very unlikely.

Arsene Wenger has a steel fist in a velvet glove. Henry has stated he has decided to go because of David Dein’s departure and the uncertainty over Wenger’s own long-term plans, but this may be a face-saving exercise. Ultimately, it was Wenger’s decision whether the player was offered for sale or not, and the memory drifts back to the incident the day before the Spurs match in December when there was evidently a disagreement between Wenger and his skipper.

No player is ultimately more powerful than the manager, and whether or not Henry got too big for his boots we may never find out. But there is no smoke without fire, and it appears Henry may have spoken out of turn to such a degree that Wenger could have made the decision then that it would be the player’s final season at the club. Certainly it seems it was Wenger that brokered the deal with Barca in Paris. Ian Wright’s own loyalty to the club was questioned halfway through Wenger’s first double season, when he suggested he would like to be sold to Benfica. By the following summer, having made few further appearances for Arsenal and lost out on a place in England’s World Cup squad, he was moved on to West Ham.

However, the club did not need Wright then. Dennis Bergkamp and Nicolas Anelka were the first choice forwards. In 2007, we await the return of Robin van Persie and the only other options are Manu Adebayor and the potential of Nicklas Bendtner. The £16 million received for Henry will have to be spent on a quality replacement or two. Michael Owen’s name has been mooted, however, the fitness doubts over the Newcastle player would be a hell of a risk. One assumes Wenger would not have sold Henry without a definite replacement in mind. Time will tell.

As for the manager himself, the selling of Henry does not in itself, suggest he is going to depart from Arsenal in 2008. On the contrary, it may indicate he sees himself as being around until 2011 as the change could be with the long-term in mind, giving him the opportunity to build a team around a captain who will be able to perform the job better. There are some who feel that, as a unit, the team seemed more together when Henry was not playing and Gilberto wore the armband. I am not convinced by Gilberto’s abilities as a man motivator, but at least he does not walk around with a superiority complex and does not disappear from matches in the way that – on occasion – Henry seemed to.

Yes, Wenger could still go next year, but the Henry sale will not be the determining factor. Hopefully, if Gilles Grimandi is appointed to fill the shoes of David Dein, Wenger will feel happier with a man he can trust alongside him. I’d prefer to think that Henry was not sold due to financial desperation, and that the money from Barcelona and that saved from his wages will be used on the playing side this summer, in addition to more. Some cash has to be splashed as a shake-up at the club is required to improve things. The comfort zone has to be removed from every player who thinks he is a starting eleven cert.

Wenger has released big stars before. When Overmars and Petit went, there followed a fallow season before another double. Since Vieira’s departure, the club has won nothing, although come close both seasons. Henry was always going to leave the club one day. The question now is whether or not he has been allowed to leave too early. This time next year, we will have all the answers.

Thierry Henry was a legend for the club, and has served us well. However, times have changed and his Arsenal days are over. But the memories we hold will never fade. Now we can only look forward to such moments created by new stars. Nothing is forever with football players except the memories they provide and the records they set. The sale of our record goalscorer marks the end of an era in many respects. Let us hope the manager and the board are capable enough to lead us into a new one that will see similar success and excitement to that witnessed during Thierry’s days as a Gunner.
Re: At Last, Thierry Henry Is Off To Barca by hustler(m): 2:23pm On Jun 23, 2007
Now God will expose all the fake Arsenal supporters we have in Nigeria.Lol.

I personally know some who have gone to buy Barca jerseys today.

Good move by Henry.Isn't it plain to see that the club lacks ambition in the transfer market.Only notable buy has been Fabianski.No be ppl don raid for the best young talents for superliga?When they should be bidding for the likes of Torres,Tevez and others that are available.

But they will survive sha if they can get a young quality striker for Wenger to groom.Thing is Wenger may not have many seasons to spend there either.

Wetin be my own sef.I no kuku care.But good move by Henry.

Forza Milan!
Re: At Last, Thierry Henry Is Off To Barca by topeorekoy(m): 2:25pm On Jun 23, 2007
am so sad that TH is going. anyway he is still my BOI wherever he goes to. my way foward is that arsene wenger need not buy a super star striker. he shld just go go 2 quality strikers who r hungry rather than 1 world class to avoid relying on the world class. if one of the striker dont perform, the other will help out. gone are the days of pires, henry, wiltord, kanu and co. if henry doesnt perform one of them will do the magic. so pls wenger now that TH has gone, lets go back to those days tat we dont have to rely on one striker to do all the magic for us. LONG LIVE THE GOONERS
Re: At Last, Thierry Henry Is Off To Barca by muyeskin(m): 2:40pm On Jun 23, 2007
Well, I just want u to believe that without Henry, Arsenal will make it this season. Without henry, we were able to defeat Manchester United and also Without Henry, We defeated Liverpool. And also played a draw game with chelsea. This are the top premier league teams. So i strongly believe that Arsenal will make it up to my expectations this season
Re: At Last, Thierry Henry Is Off To Barca by dayokanu(m): 3:00pm On Jun 23, 2007
Suker that missed a Pen for Arsenal against Gala to lose us the UEFA CUP  or is ther another Suker that you are refering to

Tell me one player that does not miss penalty even Diego Maradona, Zico, Roberto Baggio, Ronaldinho e.t.c Suker was highest goal scorer at 1998 world cup  and had an outstanding career in Madrid

Henry is a player with ambition  How many years do you think Henry has left to give at the high stage!? Was (This same) Henry not in the CL final where he couldn't give the killer blow to put Barca to the sword and win Arsenal their first Champs League trophy

If Henry should get to the gathering of great players they would mock him for being trophyless at the club level. I am sure Henry would be upset playing with mediocres like Baptista and Adebayors. Probably he has never won any individual honour because Arsenal has been poor in performance.

Is Rosicky not an experienced player, is he not the Captain of his National side

Look at my last post I exempted Rosicky.

Cesc Fab is a player that is coveted by the Best Clubs, so having him at Arsenal is wonderful.

You mention Walcott  This same Walcot was wanted by Chelsea, and other big clubs in England.

They are good players but nobody win trophies with Infants except Shell cup and U-17 example AC Milan and Italy that won the UCL and the world cup what was their average age? And about Wallcott even Abrahamovich with cocaine overdose can't pay that much for him.

In short! My brother, since you are a player supporter, rather than a club supporter, fair enough, When Ballack decided to leave Bayern, why couldn't the GREAT BAYERN hold on to him (granted he didn't really light the Prem on fire )

To me bayern's management made a mistake signing Ballack to replace Effenberg our midfield Generallissimo Very few midfielders in Europe can compare with Effenberg with his command of his team and midfield. For the records Ballacks first home game in the Champions league for Bayern we lost for the first time in 8 years in Europe spoiling one of Europe's best home record. In his first season we failed to qualify from the group stage for the first time in our history even not to qualify for the UEFA cup. In 4 years of Ballack the best we got to was a quarter final in the Champion league. Why?this is because Ballack with his nature would abandon his midfield roles to compete with striker for goals leaving us very vulverable at the middle to counter attacks whach Bayern vs deportivo September 2002. I think ballack should come back to Bayern when he is more matured. Dont tell me about age cos german players peak late. The management also made a wrong move in signing Felix Magath as coach.

Arsenal won a double before Henry came to the Club, with players that soon retired, Adams, Winterburn, Bould, Dixon. Anelka left to Real M before Henry came and everyone screamed, "HOW WILL ARSENAL COPE!" Petit and Overmars left to Barca and everyone screamed, but we won Laurels after them.

Arsenal should move ahead from there evaluate their performance in the last 4 seasons dont you see a steady decline?

So Dayo, player come and go, Will Oli Kahn be your keeper forever

Never!! Germany has a rich tradition of good goalkeepers and Michael rensing is more than able to fill Kahns shoes or gloves as the case may be

Has Poldolski lived up to all the Hype, cause he is also young, are you guys not thinking of selling Roy Makaay

Podolski is young but our attack is not built on him he has a lot of experienced players tolearn from. Lucatoni is in town at the Sabenner Strasse and Makaay would only leave if we get Klose so the cultre of experienced hands still go on. We can'tleave our club in the hands of toddlers.

Vieira left, first to Juve (they were relegated and stripped off their medals) then to Inter (they won the Sculleto, but can you mention ONE MAJOR PERFORMANCE THAT VIEIRA GAVE).

After 2 years in Italy, Vieira has won 2 leagues on the field  but since then Arsenal as a team has not won anything the last thing they won was the FA cup won by Vieira's last penalty kick.

HENRY IS NOT ARSENAL. Arsenal was in existence before Henry or Cesc Fab, and when they leave as all players will, either through retirement or other factors, the club wll still move on and wax on stronger. Mancs won the League, after Ruud, Keane, Phil Neville, Beckham all left (even if those players garnered successes at their new clubs, at least Neville got to be the Captain of Everton )

No Player is greater than the club but use the players or collection of players to win Laurels and they can move on the likes of Figo, Zidane and Carlos were used by Madrid to win Laurels and have gone now but the laurels they won remain with Madrid. So Arsenal should win with the gathering of players they have.

So Mr. Dayo, Arsenal will live on, will Henry leaving affect things, FOR SURE!! Even Becks leaving Real M and Mancs when he did affected things (Financially and football wise) so ain't nothing new in that. So people get a grip.

I used tolike the fact that Arsenal came around to break Man U's strangle hold but they could =n't maintain the momentum
Re: At Last, Thierry Henry Is Off To Barca by muyeskin(m): 3:08pm On Jun 23, 2007
I am very sure they will maintain the momentum, They will
Re: At Last, Thierry Henry Is Off To Barca by loyika(m): 3:14pm On Jun 23, 2007
How many Laurels did Figo and Zidane win with Real Count them, Champ League (Zidane's goal) yeah mention them all please

You were talking of Suker of Arsenal, not Suker of World Cup, cause Suker of the World Cup did not set the Prem on fire (only scored 8 goals for Arsenal in all his appearance if i am not mistaken). And i repeat his pen miss caused us the UEFA Cup tongue

Roman A will not spend that much on Theo W But he spent more on Sheva, Ballack and SWP, and they didn't exactly live up to what Chelsea expected tongue

Correction Vieira only won 1 league title in Italy, (the one he won with Juve was stripped off the players and the club, before they were relegated for Match fixing).

I will not really argue about the Bayern stuff/issues, as i am not really knowledgeable about the club as well as a true Bayern supporter (like you are). But i have my views on all you said about Ballack and they are a little different from yours. (but like i said they are my views and they could be wrong undecided)

Either way, Henry has gone, ARSENAL LIVE ON, and thats what couts to Arsenal supporters cool

cool GOONER 89
Re: At Last, Thierry Henry Is Off To Barca by Jackal(m): 4:22pm On Jun 23, 2007
@ Loyika,

Its ludicrous but a lot of football heads believe Henry is Arsenal but i dont think so after what happened last season.
The young guns(without TT)played some tantalising attacking football that made me go wow last season and i strongly believe its about time he leaves Arsenal.

I was devastated when Ruud boy left Man Utd some 11 months ago.
How can a manager hock off a player that has scored 150 goals in a space of 5 years?
In the end, Ferguson's decision was top draw and United clinched the title.
Maybe Henry's departure might spur the young guns to go ballistic next season but Wenger must land 2 strikers to compete with United, Chelski and Liverpool.
Re: At Last, Thierry Henry Is Off To Barca by marlet01(m): 4:22pm On Jun 23, 2007
@ Topic

Hmmmmm!!!

I think this is going to be the biggest turning point for Arsenal, believe it or not.

We are no more in the days were a mere player can hold us to ransome. . . . .  He (Henry) has been on our neck for so long now.
Actually, facing the fact that We (arsenal) may not be in the transfer market now because of the debt we're still yet to cover for the rehabilitation of the Emirate stadium.

If wenger leaves as well some may think that arsenal is finally dead. .  but far from it! This is just one big chance to rise the once called Mighty Arsenal again.

Stan Kroenke in his interview made a statement concerning our transfer budget and also the taking over of the club which i strongly believe he will suceed. . .

Gallas said "If henry wants to go, then let him go" What did he mean by that?

If David Dein left, T.Henry leaves and A.Wenger as well that is not enough reason for us to go down. .

Just chill up Gunners and let's see what is ahead of us rather than grumbling and complaining

Cheers!

Gunners still cool
Re: At Last, Thierry Henry Is Off To Barca by Dapo4u(m): 4:44pm On Jun 23, 2007
I am an sorry I was an ardent Gunners fan while Kanu was with Gunner, then I wanted to follow Kanu suit but Eewo,I would rather stay back at Arsenal than going to Westbrom.Now Igwe cry,the Gunners you have lost another fan.I am off to Barca.Hopefully we would get to meet in CL.
Re: At Last, Thierry Henry Is Off To Barca by 9ja4eva: 7:45pm On Jun 23, 2007
lmaoo

Go well oh.Always knew Henry wldnt wait for Arsenal to get deir acts 2geda
Re: At Last, Thierry Henry Is Off To Barca by danniecool(m): 7:59pm On Jun 23, 2007
guys dey vex here o lipsrsealed
Re: At Last, Thierry Henry Is Off To Barca by bagoma(f): 8:25pm On Jun 23, 2007
i dont know what to think. still sorting my thouhgts. still as confused as ever. undecided
when i heard the news today, my first tot was "what the hell?
then there was anger, then shock at the ridiculous amount (but its begining to make sense tho, going by some stories making the rounds and i think that barca is taking a huge risk on him considering his performance last season and the sum does make a wee bit of sense when you think about that.)
now back to my thoughts, i later just shrugged and said
life goes on,
yes the end and the begining of another era for arsenal.
we will just wait and see what happens.
damn!
Re: At Last, Thierry Henry Is Off To Barca by mukina2: 8:34pm On Jun 23, 2007
@ Baggy wink

I am done with grieving sad he has gone, that is that .
i didnt like how he left, but life must go on
lets just stay focused and look forward to the new season

we shall surprise all of them kiss
Re: At Last, Thierry Henry Is Off To Barca by Jackal(m): 8:41pm On Jun 23, 2007
grin grin grin grin

Henry has left and reh reh reh and reh.
TT did what i wld call a risk-based analysis and he knows he wld be better off in Barca.
He summed everything up and he knows he doesnt stand a chance of winning anything wiv ARSENAL ever again.
I don't blame him------------------Who would have done better with Adebayor as a partner?
Even Rooney will STRUGGLE to score 12 goals in a season wiv ADEBAYOR as a strike partner.
Re: At Last, Thierry Henry Is Off To Barca by lalaboi(m): 8:43pm On Jun 23, 2007
all av bn seeing 4rm arsenal fans is speech speech speech!
as loyinka said end of era dat achieved nothing!

next season again! wenger is goin! if not dis season!
u guyz wil av to wait another matbe 8yrs! lol
sori oh! ndo!
Re: At Last, Thierry Henry Is Off To Barca by Vieira(m): 9:01pm On Jun 23, 2007
Na Wa o!

Before Henry was born, Arsenal was there winning stuff.

The last two seasons Henry has been a left over from a great side that really should have moved on after the CL final.

Now we can get a new fresh team that will make thier own history.

The sad thing about Henry is that on the biggest stage of his career at Arsenal, the CL final he did not do the business, it is moments like those that create greats like Pele, Maradona, even Ruud and Beckham!

Anyway I am actually looking forward to the new season and to us showing what we can do.

Arsenal I love you to death.
Re: At Last, Thierry Henry Is Off To Barca by mukina2: 9:08pm On Jun 23, 2007
I wonder too o .Some people are just crazy undecided

Why cant he just go and stop Talking angry
Re: At Last, Thierry Henry Is Off To Barca by niniman(m): 10:34pm On Jun 23, 2007
arsenal fans should be more concerned about the gaffer/future of the club not much about 30 yr old Henry.its bound to happen,its a golden rule of the big 4 in premiership to cash in on players above 30(viera,pires).Henry will be missed by all premiership fans especialy those of us who love to hate him(he scored a heart breaking goal against united at the emirate).The club should try to keep the moral high in the present squad and try to bring in experience players no infants to the team.when united sold ruud,everyone didn't gave them a chance but they played better football than when we have him,
so arsenal wake up,so us arsenal is not a one man team, smiley wink cheesy grin
Re: At Last, Thierry Henry Is Off To Barca by Damy(m): 12:30am On Jun 24, 2007
[center]I fink Gunners should be happy for the burden
that has just been relesed 4rm there neck.
they need re-organize and put more
effort to the team upliftment.

[/center]

Re: At Last, Thierry Henry Is Off To Barca by debosky(m): 12:53am On Jun 24, 2007
Titi has gone, we thank him for the excellent time he gave us at AFC, his spirit, his skills, his drive. and his 226 goals. We bid him adieu

Now, what is most important now is this: how does Arsenal respond, more especially Wenger?

Sell Reyes off and then we have at least 26million pounds (+ Henry's astronomical wages) to find new players, get that done then we'll see.

We are more than Henry, we will not crumble, whatever happens I remain A-R-S-E-N-A-L Forever!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Newcastle Vs Tottenham Match Preview, Stats, Line Up And More / EPL: Chelsea Vs Burnley Preview....Drop Your Views And Predictions…!!! / Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 144
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.