Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,324 members, 7,811,955 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:38 AM

Who 'Won' The Lagos Governorship Debate On Channels TV? - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who 'Won' The Lagos Governorship Debate On Channels TV? (11459 Views)

Poll: Who Was The Most Impressive Candidate After Watching Lagos State Governorship Debate Organised By Channels TV?

Fashola: 91% (253 votes)
Dominic: 0% (1 vote)
Tokoya: 1% (5 votes)
Dosunmu: 6% (18 votes)
Randle: 0% (1 vote)
This poll has ended

Results Of Lagos Governorship, House Of Assembly Polls -vanguard / Jimi Agbaje And Ambode At The Lagos State Governorship Debate (Photo) / Lagos Governorship Debate: Candidate Performace Ratings By Premium Times (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who 'Won' The Lagos Governorship Debate On Channels TV? by Sagamite(m): 9:04pm On Mar 09, 2011
ladej:

his response to randle when randle started talking about not being seen for 3 years. fashola responded well when he added that it was a court case. calling him or insinuating that randle was a criminal was wrong, as well as mentioning  his house number. there is still culture and fashola could have handled it better. the same way obama handled Hillary and mcCain when they questioned his age and inexperience. cool, calm and collected.

The was a court case against the man. The main lied when he denied it.

I don't know how Fashola insinuated he was a criminal. From what I could gauge, it appears the reason he wanted to see the governor was to have some man in influence to impress on his behalf about the case.

Fck culture when a reetard wants to use the benefits culture accrues him unjustly. The man is a foooool and should not hide behind culture.

Is a TV governorship debate the place a "respected" elder should be raising questions about being denied his "birth-right" to see the Governor? He is mad. So a self-proclaimed respected elder is using such a medium to settle scores and score points against his opponent under the tag "culture"? So Fashola should keep quiet so the moooron can score the cheap points he is looking for and use the "elder" tag to argue and stifle any reply? He is reetarded!

Fck Culture!
Re: Who 'Won' The Lagos Governorship Debate On Channels TV? by ladej(m): 9:20pm On Mar 09, 2011
Sagamite:

I don't know how Fashola insinuated he was a criminal. From what I could gauge, it appears the reason he wanted to see the governor was to have some man in influence to impress on his behalf about the case.

Fck culture when a reetard wants to use the benefits culture accrues him unjustly. The man is a foooool and should not hide behind culture.

Is a TV governorship debate the place a "respected" elder should be raising questions about being denied his "birth-right" to see the Governor? He is mad. So a self-proclaimed respected elder is using such a medium to settle scores and score points against his opponent under the tag "culture"? So Fashola should keep quiet so the moooron can score the cheap points he is looking for and use the "elder" tag to argue and stifle any reply? He is reetarded!

Fck Culture!

bros your points are valid on randle, i have no qualms about them. what separates true politicians is the ability to refrain from responding, even when pushed. fashola knew randle was no threat to his campaign, knowing that a little tact and poise should have been enacted. not responding actually shows not only is fashola a better politician, but a better man.
Re: Who 'Won' The Lagos Governorship Debate On Channels TV? by Sagamite(m): 9:30pm On Mar 09, 2011
ladej:

bros your points are valid on randle, i have no qualms about them. what separates true politicians is the ability to refrain from responding, even when pushed. fashola knew randle was no threat to his campaign, knowing that a little tact and poise should have been enacted. not responding actually shows not only is fashola a better politician, but a better man.

Honestly, I am sick and tired of seeing such "refrain", "opinionless" politicians you want him to be like. That is why I have never been a big fan of Obama and virtually all UK politicians.

My type of policitians are the blunt and straightforward ones that speak pure sense and are not trying to please everyone. They know right from wrong and are willing to bluntly say it with the most limited of reservations.

People like Ribadu, Anne Widdecombe, Charles Heston, Margaret Thatcher, Edward Heath, Grover Cleveland, Nasir El Rufai are what I want to see.

No bullshyting, "it does what it says on the can" kind of Politicians, not "sit on the fence and see where the wind blows" Politicians.
Re: Who 'Won' The Lagos Governorship Debate On Channels TV? by Kilode1: 9:39pm On Mar 09, 2011
^^ I approve that message. cool
Re: Who 'Won' The Lagos Governorship Debate On Channels TV? by Sagamite(m): 9:54pm On Mar 09, 2011
Kilode?!:

^^ I approve that message. cool

I was watching the news of recent and they were asking one of the UK political foools that since the government was cutting public expenditure, and want to stop paying for any kind of procedure that is not a health risk are the going to stop paying for all procedures.

So they asked her if providing IVF for childless couples was not a lifestyle procedure and would the government cut it too. The foool refused to give an opinion and was speaking with 2 mouths, saying they are still discussing it but that childless women can be depressed so it must be a health risk procedure.

I was sitting there and just muttering bullshyt!!!

A overweight person can be depress too, so is the government going to fund their gym membership to avoid the depression?

Not being wealthy can be depressing too, would the government give people thousands to avoid the depression?

IVF treatment for a childless couple is a lifestyle procedure, FACT. Stop bullshyting and be scared to say it.

The thing there is to say although it is a lifestyle procedure it might be something still worth being funded.
Re: Who 'Won' The Lagos Governorship Debate On Channels TV? by Kilode1: 11:31pm On Mar 09, 2011
^^ You are right. Most politicians will slaughter anything and I mean anything on the altar of political expediency. It's a shame that we don't teach enough critical thinking in our schools. Most people are easily fooled by every lie from the mouth of their leaders.

I'm not even bothered about politicians, their "job" is to use every rhetorical trick they can to push their agenda. The society becomes "poor" when the percentage of those with the skill and knowledge to challenge their rhetoric becomes too small to be of any effect. That is what we all need to work at correcting.
Re: Who 'Won' The Lagos Governorship Debate On Channels TV? by headworld: 12:12am On Mar 10, 2011
BRF 2011 (Babatunde Raji Fashola for 2011)

Or

BPF 2011 (Business plans, Proposals, Feasibility reports in 2011)

How do you intend to get the best out of 2011?
Politics or Business??
Lets help you perfect the art!

OuterEDGE Solutions. (Strategy, Research, Training)
…dare us with your brief!
Re: Who 'Won' The Lagos Governorship Debate On Channels TV? by ShangoThor(m): 12:18am On Mar 10, 2011
Sagamite:

Fck Culture!

Bingo, the whole thing makes me sick, and we can all understand how we arrived at this culture of ingrained mediocrity, of all the issues concerning Lagosians that Randle could have raised (because believe me, Fashola's regime isn't flawless, but it's obvious that he is heads above the rest of the candidates), Randle chooses this time to raise a personal issue.

This is why I believe the 'Independence Generation' have failed us, as soon as we park them on the bench permanently, we will be able to start to reverse our fortunes, absolutely right, f*u*c*k culture, it's time for change.
Re: Who 'Won' The Lagos Governorship Debate On Channels TV? by congoshine(m): 1:22pm On Mar 10, 2011
Sagamite:

Honestly, I am sick and tired of seeing such "refrain", "opinionless" politicians you want him to be like. That is why I have never been a big fan of Obama and virtually all UK politicians.

My type of policitians are the blunt and straightforward ones that speak pure sense and are not trying to please everyone. They know right from wrong and are willing to bluntly say it with the most limited of reservations.

People like Ribadu, Anne Widdecombe, Charles Heston, Margaret Thatcher, Edward Heath, Grover Cleveland, Nasir El Rufai are what I want to see.

No bullshyting, "it does what it says on the can" kind of Politicians, not "sit on the fence and see where the wind blows" Politicians.
Good point,but unfortunately politicians get into office by winning elections. And winning elections translates to appealing to as many people as possible.
Re: Who 'Won' The Lagos Governorship Debate On Channels TV? by Sagamite(m): 3:12pm On Mar 10, 2011
congoshine:

Good point,but unfortunately politicians get into office by winning elections. And winning elections translates to appealing to as many people as possible.

Yeah! A sad thing.

That is why I am not a fan of democracy.

Also, upright, intelligent politicians with guile and oratory powers can still do it without kissing arse.

A true leader shapes opinions, not pander to opinions.
Re: Who 'Won' The Lagos Governorship Debate On Channels TV? by matiltomd(f): 4:59pm On Mar 10, 2011
I've always been a Fashola fan;not necessarily the party and the debate further convinced me that Fashola sure still remains the man. We're all entitled to our individual opinions but like someone rightly stated earlier,Dosunmu looked and talked like he strolled into the venue from a pepper soup joint. Even after Fashola refuted his LIE as regards both of them applying for a job together in the public sector;what did Dosunmu do or say? He was laughing!!!!! That shocked me (well,maybe i just feel you don't go to places like that and start cooking up lies). Fashola's administration sure isn't flawless but I'm sorry,I'd rather pitch my tent with him than go with Dosunmu. My vote is too precious to me,
Baba Historian Randle got what he requested!! Fashola in my opinion didn't insult that man. How about when Randle called Fashola 'awon omo ti o leko' (manner-less children). Saying that to a sitting Governor (young or not)!! If OBJ had said that to Randle,would he have replied in that fashion? If i dey Fashola's sneakers,i for tell Randle say 'Papa,we're even'!!! tongue tongue
Re: Who 'Won' The Lagos Governorship Debate On Channels TV? by Sagamite(m): 5:25pm On Mar 10, 2011
matiltom_d:

If i dey Fashola's sneakers,i for tell Randle say 'Papa,we're even'!!! tongue tongue

Fashola did right by just ignoring the foool and letting him wallow in his anger which he had not had for 40 years when the Biafra war ended.  grin grin grin

The foool will be stating years and occasions like if that makes him relevant or intelligent. Anuofia!
Re: Who 'Won' The Lagos Governorship Debate On Channels TV? by seanet02: 5:29pm On Mar 10, 2011
matiltom_d:

I've always been a Fashola fan;not necessarily the party and the debate further convinced me that Fashola sure still remains the man. We're all entitled to our individual opinions but like someone rightly stated earlier,Dosunmu looked and talked like he strolled into the venue from a pepper soup joint. Even after Fashola refuted his LIE as regards both of them applying for a job together in the public sector;what did Dosunmu do or say? He was laughing!!!!! That shocked me (well,maybe i just feel you don't go to places like that and start cooking up lies). Fashola's administration sure isn't flawless but I'm sorry,I'd rather pitch my tent with him than go with Dosunmu. My vote is too precious to me,
Baba Historian Randle got what he requested!! Fashola in my opinion didn't insult that man. How about when Randle called Fashola 'awon omo ti o leko' (manner-less children). Saying that to a sitting Governor (young or not)!! If OBJ had said that to Randle,would he have replied in that fashion? If i dey Fashola's sneakers,i for tell Randle say 'Papa,we're even'!!! tongue tongue
Gbam!!!
Re: Who 'Won' The Lagos Governorship Debate On Channels TV? by jajaopobo(m): 9:20am On Mar 13, 2011
Interesting discussion here. A lot has been said about how Dosunmu's brightest moment was asking Fashola to explain why the incumbent govt was building the Lekki - Aajah road at a cost of N1b per km. But let's really examine that statement really - sure the amount sounds really high, but I suspect Dosunmu may have rather displayed his ignorance than brilliance by asking that question because he did not benchmark that cost against any known internationally accredited standard or a comparative project in any part of the world. So who is to say that the cost is unusual just because it sounds high?

In fact, I blame BRF for not challenging him on that issue, because a precursory look at a report on the WSDOT lists certain factors as affecting the cost of a highway which they say varies quite widely. These factors include:
• Structures and interchanges: Projects that have structures and interchanges have a much higher cost per lane mile. The road in question may not have any interchanges, but it does have structures (toll gates, foot bridges and a fence). It also has a lot of side roads constructed for access to buldings cut off by the fence.
• Right of way: This may not apply as the govt already owned the right of way
• Environmental impacts: Not sure how much of this was built into the design, but I'm aware a lot of work went into detrminng the impact of widening the bride at Mobil, etc.
• Existing soil and site conditions: Differing soil and site conditions also have an impact on the cost per lane mile. This is a major point here due to the silty and water-logged nature of Lekki and is sure to impact very heavily on the cost.

Now to look at a few international exapmles for comparison and see how the Lekki-ajah expansion unit cost really fares. First of all Dosunmu claims the road is costing N1b/km. Let's assume this is true, then the figure comes to approx. $6.7m/km at today's exchange rate. So a few examples below.

[list]
[li]SR 18 widening in rural King County (no interchanges) - about $24.5 million per mile = $15.4m per km
I-5 widening in Vancouver (2 interchanges) – about $20.2 million per mile = $12.6m per km
I-5 adding single HOV lanes from Tukwila to Fife (solid ground) – about $11.2 million per mile = $7m per km[/li]
[li][/li]
[/list]

Even a sample of responses from other discussion forums (http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=856330) on the internet yield the following answers:
[list]
[li]$ 14 million or € 11 million per kilometer, seems quite standard - ChrisZwolle from Holland
In Poland it's € 6-10 mln ($8.3 - 13.9m) on average, although it gets to as much as € 20-25 mln ($28 - 34.7m) in heavily-urbanized areas - Majestic from Poland
In a developing country like Ireland, the costs are on average $10 million a kilometer, [/li]
[li][/li]
[/list]

It would appear that the quoted unit cost fares favourably with comparable international projects, Of course this is not completely accurate as it would require detailed matching of the circumstances and details of each project being compared. This is something which I may not be able to do but which one would certainly have expected from a governorship candidate of no less a party as PDP with so many people working on his campaign. I guess the real question is: is this how unprofessional he plans to be if elected?
Re: Who 'Won' The Lagos Governorship Debate On Channels TV? by congoshine(m): 12:25pm On Mar 13, 2011
jajaopobo:

Interesting discussion here. A lot has been said about how Dosunmu's brightest moment was asking Fashola to explain why the incumbent govt was building the Lekki - Aajah road at a cost of N1b per km. But let's really examine that statement really - sure the amount sounds really high, but I suspect Dosunmu may have rather displayed his ignorance than brilliance by asking that question because he did not benchmark that cost against any known internationally accredited standard or a comparative project in any part of the world. So who is to say that the cost is unusual just because it sounds high?

In fact, I blame BRF for not challenging him on that issue, because a precursory look at a report on the WSDOT lists certain factors as affecting the cost of a highway which they say varies quite widely. These factors include:
• Structures and interchanges: Projects that have structures and interchanges have a much higher cost per lane mile. The road in question may not have any interchanges, but it does have structures (toll gates, foot bridges and a fence). It also has a lot of side roads constructed for access to buldings cut off by the fence.
• Right of way: This may not apply as the govt already owned the right of way
• Environmental impacts: Not sure how much of this was built into the design, but I'm aware a lot of work went into detrminng the impact of widening the bride at Mobil, etc.
• Existing soil and site conditions: Differing soil and site conditions also have an impact on the cost per lane mile. This is a major point here due to the silty and water-logged nature of Lekki and is sure to impact very heavily on the cost.

Now to look at a few international exapmles for comparison and see how the Lekki-ajah expansion unit cost really fares. First of all Dosunmu claims the road is costing N1b/km. Let's assume this is true, then the figure comes to approx. $6.7m/km at today's exchange rate. So a few examples below.

[list]
[li]SR 18 widening in rural King County (no interchanges) - about $24.5 million per mile = $15.4m per km
I-5 widening in Vancouver (2 interchanges) – about $20.2 million per mile = $12.6m per km
I-5 adding single HOV lanes from Tukwila to Fife (solid ground) – about $11.2 million per mile = $7m per km[/li]
[li][/li]
[/list]

Even a sample of responses from other discussion forums (http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=856330) on the internet yield the following answers:
[list]
[li]$ 14 million or € 11 million per kilometer, seems quite standard - ChrisZwolle from Holland
In Poland it's € 6-10 mln ($8.3 - 13.9m) on average, although it gets to as much as € 20-25 mln ($28 - 34.7m) in heavily-urbanized areas - Majestic from Poland
In a developing country like Ireland, the costs are on average $10 million a kilometer, [/li]
[li][/li]
[/list]

It would appear that the quoted unit cost fares favourably with comparable international projects, Of course this is not completely accurate as it would require detailed matching of the circumstances and details of each project being compared. This is something which I may not be able to do but which one would certainly have expected from a governorship candidate of no less a party as PDP with so many people working on his campaign. I guess the real question is: is this how unprofessional he plans to be if elected?
My governor. . .I'm happy you use nairaland. Please remember me when you get elected.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Interesting Thing About Association Of Witches And Wizards In Nigeria / Onyeka Owenu Meets With NEMA Officials Over Welfare Of Idps / Anti-Open Grazing: We Are Prepared To Protect Our People At Any Cost - Akeredolu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.