Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,807 members, 7,817,343 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:37 AM

Edo Election: I Won't Challenge Obaseki’s Victory, Says Ize-Iyamu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Edo Election: I Won't Challenge Obaseki’s Victory, Says Ize-Iyamu (23282 Views)

With 14 Days Left To Challenge Obaseki’s Victory, Ize-iyamu Weighs Options / I’m Sure Of Victory, Says Ize-iyamu / Patrick Obahiagbon Says Ize-Iyamu, Oshiomhole Unstoppable In Edo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Edo Election: I Won't Challenge Obaseki’s Victory, Says Ize-Iyamu by BleedingPen: 8:09am On Oct 05, 2020
Candidate of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) in the recently conducted September 19 Edo Governorship election, Pastor Osagie Ize-Iyamu, says he will not be challenging the victory of Governor Godwin Obaseki in court.

Ize-Iyamu stated this in a personally signed statement forwarded to Igbere TV on Monday. He, however, said he would pursue pending pre-election cases against Obaseki, saying the governor has refused to discontinue similar cases against himself(Ize-Iyamu) and his deputy, Gani Audu.

Foremost lawyer and Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN), Chief Wole Olanipekun, is leading four other SANs in cases of certificate forgery and perjury instituted against Obaseki and his deputy, Philip Shaibu, at a Federal High Court in Benin City. The APC and a member of the party, Mr. Edobor Williams, instituted the cases.

The plaintiffs are asking the court to disqualify the governor and his deputy from participating in the September 19 governorship election in the state as well as prevent their party, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), from fielding any candidates in the election.

In two separate suits sighted by Igbere TV, the plaintiffs accused the duo of Obaseki and Shaibu of lying on oath and submitting false documents to INEC to aid their qualifications in the election. According to them, the alleged offences of the defendants run contrary to the provisions of the Electoral Act 2010, as amended, and the punishment is automatic disqualification.

The plaintiffs are also asking the court to bar the PDP from participating or representing itself in the September 19 governorship election for sponsoring ineligible candidates.

The plaintiffs also want the court to declare that Obaseki’s claim that he worked with Afrinvest Limited from 1994 to 2014, when he retired, was false.

Aside the alleged falsification of documents and lying on oath, the plaintiffs want the PDP standard bearers disqualified on the grounds that the waiver granted them by the PDP last month contravened section 177 of the 1999 Constitution.

In the other suit marked FHC/B/CS/75/2020, which has Shaibu, PDP and INEC as first, second and third respondents, respectively, the plaintiffs, apart from accusing Shaibu of also parading false academic documents, want him disqualified for presenting forged tax clearance certificate to INEC in 2006 in aid of his qualification for the 2007 House of Assembly election in Edo State in 2007.

On Shaibu’s academic record, the plaintiffs claimed discrepancies and alleged forgery in his WAEC result, adding that Shaibu’s claim that he obtained a Master of Business Administration (MBA) from the University of Benin in 2012 was false.

The Federal High Court sitting in Benin City, the Edo State capital, on Monday, August 17, 2020, granted the application of the All Progressives Congress (APC) to serve court processes on Governor Obaseki, and his deputy, Shaibu through the office of the Attorney General of the state.

The Federal High Court 1, Benin City, presided over by Justice M.G. Umar in Suit No. FHC/B/CS/74/202: All Progressive Congress & Anor v. Godwin Nogheghase Obaseki and Ors, and Suit No. FHC/B/CS/75/2020: All Progressives Congress & Anor. v. Phillip Shaibu & Ors, after hearing Counsel for the APC, Victor Ohiosuma Esq., leading P.E. Uwadiae Esq., ordered substituted service of the Originating Processes in the matter, on the governor and his deputy.

This was sequel to the facts deposed to in affidavits in support of the application filed seeking for an Order of Substituted Service, the evasiveness of both Obaseki and Shaibu to receive the Originating Processes in respect of the said matters that question the academic qualifications of both the governor and his deputy in standing in as candidates of the PDP in the election.

Igbere TV reports that Obaseki, candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party had defeated Ize-Iyamu in a keenly contested election which was deemed free and fair by many observers including President Muhammadu Buhari and the All Progressives Congress - both have equally congratulated the governor.

But in the statement forwarded to Igbere TV on Monday, Pastor Ize-Iyamu insisted that the election was marred by violence, irregularities while alleging cancelling of votes in areas he had won and massive falsification of results.

The APC candidate however said as a democrat, he won't be going to the Edo Election Petitions Tribunal out of respect for President Muhammadu Buhari, the All Progressives Congress national body (who had earlier congratulated Obaseki) and to avoid tension in the state but would continue with the pending pre-election cases in court.
https://igberetvnews.com/1367185/edo-election-wont-challenge-obasekis-victory-says-ize-iyamu/

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Edo Election: I Won't Challenge Obaseki’s Victory, Says Ize-Iyamu by ValCon888: 8:10am On Oct 05, 2020
You lost at the polls.
If you challenge it at the Election Tribunal, you will lose again.
If you challenge it at the Court of Appeal, you will lose again.
If you challenge it at the Supreme Court, you will lose again.
And if you challenge it in heaven, you will still lose.

166 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Edo Election: I Won't Challenge Obaseki’s Victory, Says Ize-Iyamu by Racoon(m): 8:10am On Oct 05, 2020
Please challenge it and strengthen the electioneering process.However your record of being the first fella to loose election on two platforms within four years is unparalleled.Dont trade your integrity for a man like Oshiomole if you have any.

55 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Edo Election: I Won't Challenge Obaseki’s Victory, Says Ize-Iyamu by Nobody: 8:14am On Oct 05, 2020
He don wake up?

Good morning Ize Iyamu

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Edo Election: I Won't Challenge Obaseki’s Victory, Says Ize-Iyamu by jlinkd78(m): 8:15am On Oct 05, 2020
You earn my respect and millions of others too. Who noticed Ize Iyamu didn't mention Oshopikin in d long list of those being thanked. The best pre- election matter would have been to institute a legal case against Oshiomole for destroying your reputation, tricked u into APC and handing over d ticket to u not realizing d internet never forgets

66 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Edo Election: I Won't Challenge Obaseki’s Victory, Says Ize-Iyamu by Saaronzorander1: 8:15am On Oct 05, 2020
Smart move! Election no be war my brother. I hope others learn from this.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Edo Election: I Won't Challenge Obaseki’s Victory, Says Ize-Iyamu by Brandstudio01: 8:17am On Oct 05, 2020
In his best interest.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Edo Election: I Won't Challenge Obaseki’s Victory, Says Ize-Iyamu by Iyoocartel(f): 8:18am On Oct 05, 2020
Iyooooooo cartel

Ize iyamu should rather challenge Oshimole for deceiving him instead of trying to give lawyers free money.
An election the president and the international bodies certified as free and fair is that what you intend to challenge ? Better save your remaining money because you'll be needing it soon,oshimole and the drug baron from Osun state deceived you and you fell for it

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Edo Election: I Won't Challenge Obaseki’s Victory, Says Ize-Iyamu by Ever8090: 8:28am On Oct 05, 2020
Ok...that is your business....
Re: Edo Election: I Won't Challenge Obaseki’s Victory, Says Ize-Iyamu by SpecTTraP: 8:32am On Oct 05, 2020
Go and rest sir till 2024.
Re: Edo Election: I Won't Challenge Obaseki’s Victory, Says Ize-Iyamu by techmo(m): 8:35am On Oct 05, 2020
grin

Ize Iyamu is very smart

Pre- Election matters include, case of Perjury, Certificates, Names like Obasek

Premium tears loading

PDP miscreants are already running their mouth because they are deeply scared

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Edo Election: I Won't Challenge Obaseki’s Victory, Says Ize-Iyamu by BigDick70inch(m): 8:48am On Oct 05, 2020
D

1 Like

Re: Edo Election: I Won't Challenge Obaseki’s Victory, Says Ize-Iyamu by BleedingPen: 8:48am On Oct 05, 2020
Press Statement by Pastor Dr. Osagie Ize-Iyamu

My dear people of Edo State. I send you warm felicitations as always.

You will all recall that the election process to determine who occupies the office of Governor of Edo State for the next 4 years began officially in June this year, with the unveiling of the Election Timetable by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

To the glory of God Almighty, the election held on 19th September, 2020 with the outcome later announced by INEC. We thank God Almighty for the relatively peaceful nature of the voting process in most parts of the state.

Contrary to orchestrated media reports, the election was neither free nor fair. There were several episodes of violence, voter intimidation and falsification of results. In particular, there were unlawful cancellations of results particularly from Urhonigbe South and North in Orhiomwon, while results were falsified from many polling units in Ofunama in Ovia South West, and in parts of Ovia North East, Owan West, Oredo, Egor, Ikpoba-Okha, Esan North East, Esan West, Esan South East, and Uhunmwode Local Government Areas.

Sadly, two persons were killed during the election, while gun-wielding thugs took over collation centres in many locations without the intervention of law-enforcement agents. There were also several cases of malfunctioning card readers, which disenfranchised duly registered voters, in addition to many cases of unregistered voters voting with pre-purchased voters' cards not collected by their actual owners.

These malpractices could easily form the basis to challenge the election results. We have however decided not to commence an election petition. This is to avoid further tension in the state. We are also mindful that the leadership of our great party, the All Progressives Congress (APC) and many well-placed individuals have made pronouncements endorsing the process, which we have chosen to respect.

Nonetheless, we must emphasize that elections are far more than actual voting, just as democracy includes more than just elections. It is in this light that we draw attention to the fact that the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and its flagbearers have continued to pursue several pre-election suits in various courts against us, all totalling 13. One of such cases came up in the High Court, Benin on 2nd October, 2020, days after the election.

On our part, we had filed two pre-election cases against the PDP and its flagbearer challenging their eligibility to contest the election. These are all lawful and integral parts of the electoral process in any democracy, which we must all respect and acknowledge as genuine democrats.

The outcome of these pending cases have direct effect on the election. Consequently, we have decided to continue with our pre-election cases in full exercise of our legal rights, just as our opponents have considered it their prerogative to also continue with their pre-election cases against us.

Let me once again wholeheartedly thank the President, Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, President Mohammadu Buhari GCFR, for his statesmanship and support throughout the election campaign. We thank the National leadership of our party led by HE Mai Mala Buni, Governor of Yobe state, our National Campaign Council led by HE Dr. Abdullahi Umar Ganduje, Governor of Kano State, APC Governors, leaders and members of the National Assembly and other leaders of our party at both national and state levels for their immense contributions.

We also sincerely thank His Royal Majesty, Omo N' Oba N' Edo Uku Akpolokpolo, Oba Ewuare II, the Oba of Benin, the Otaru of Auchi, Alhaji Aliru Momoh, Ikelebe III, and all our other Royal Fathers, for their unceasing prayers for the peace of the state before, during and after the elections.

We thank our religious leaders for their prayers and intercessions throughout the campaign and even thereafter.

We commend the good people of Edo State for their peaceful conduct despite the hostile and provocative actions of state officials, which have remained unabated. We urge everyone to remain law-abiding, as responsible citizens.

We specially thank our innumerable supporters for their steadfast support and tremendous show of love, and likewise urge them to remain calm while keeping faith alive for a better Edo State which we shall all be proud of.

Let me conclude by noting that our cause to uplift our state using the democratic system is a noble mission from which we SHALL NEVER waiver. As law-abiding citizens, we must all continue to believe in the electoral process as an important part of the democratic system, as it remains the best method of choosing who leads the people, devoid of violence and avoidable acrimony.

Long live Edo State.

Long live the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

Pastor Dr. Osagie Ize-Iyamu
Re: Edo Election: I Won't Challenge Obaseki’s Victory, Says Ize-Iyamu by AllOfUsAtManna(f): 8:52am On Oct 05, 2020
techmo:
grin

Ize Iyamu is very smart

Pre- Election matters include, case of Perjury, Certificates, Names like Obasek

lol
this guy you keep hurting yourself and consoling it at the same time grin

Ize have moved on
I taught you know politics but you're just an emotional kid.
you think APC (CPC faction) is interested in Edo election
if they're interested it would have been tough for Obaseki from the beginning and from the body language of Buhari and his CPC guys Edo election is done and dusted
Ize was just a pawn in the 2023 game.
you think they'll allow Oshiomole back on track again.
if Tinubu is not careful they'll clip his wings 100%
believe it or not this is buhari and his people doing and it's all about 2023 and it'll be easier for buhari and his CPC people to cede power to PDP than allow Tinubu or any of his cronies to come to power.
simply they don't trust Tinubu.
just like I predicted Ize defeat without sentiment this is likely to happen.

Buhari controls the court and head or tail there's no way Ize will win anything
he'll be creating more enemies for himself and Edolites will dislike him because trust me Ize is popular and Edolites likes him but they voted against Oshiomole.

One of laws of Power is crush your enemy completely
that's what they did to Oshiomole

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Edo Election: I Won't Challenge Obaseki’s Victory, Says Ize-Iyamu by seunmsg(m): 8:52am On Oct 05, 2020
He stand a far better chance of winning the pre-election case than proving to the tribunal that the election was marred with irregularities. Good move.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Edo Election: I Won't Challenge Obaseki’s Victory, Says Ize-Iyamu by contigiency(m): 8:56am On Oct 05, 2020
Good sportsmanship. Our democracy is surely improving.
Re: Edo Election: I Won't Challenge Obaseki’s Victory, Says Ize-Iyamu by Nobody: 9:06am On Oct 05, 2020
No matter how many years Obaseki use, this pre election case would still hurt him

A new political party might be birthed again

Buhari destroyed APC

Very bad leader

1 Like

Re: Edo Election: I Won't Challenge Obaseki’s Victory, Says Ize-Iyamu by vixpal: 9:09am On Oct 05, 2020
Many people above did not read the article .

Obaseki is a gooner

5 Likes

Re: Edo Election: I Won't Challenge Obaseki’s Victory, Says Ize-Iyamu by Nbotee(m): 9:29am On Oct 05, 2020
vixpal:
Many people above did not read the article above.

Obaseki is a gooner

No worry, U go soon get sense.. No b only gooner, na Loserpool

6 Likes

Re: Edo Election: I Won't Challenge Obaseki’s Victory, Says Ize-Iyamu by BF69BF: 9:29am On Oct 05, 2020
Oga please contest it, I want to check something grin grin

1 Like

Re: Edo Election: I Won't Challenge Obaseki’s Victory, Says Ize-Iyamu by TalkTalkTwins(m): 9:29am On Oct 05, 2020
After that legendary Imo State elections, I stopped celebrating my candidates'.

Anything can happen my people, na Naija we dey! cool
Re: Edo Election: I Won't Challenge Obaseki’s Victory, Says Ize-Iyamu by duduade: 9:29am On Oct 05, 2020
Because all na format and scam
Re: Edo Election: I Won't Challenge Obaseki’s Victory, Says Ize-Iyamu by Okortor: 9:29am On Oct 05, 2020
Better because election was "free n fair" .

1 Like

Re: Edo Election: I Won't Challenge Obaseki’s Victory, Says Ize-Iyamu by ignis: 9:29am On Oct 05, 2020
Good for him... Atleast he wouldn't be wasting his precious time.
Re: Edo Election: I Won't Challenge Obaseki’s Victory, Says Ize-Iyamu by ajebuter(f): 9:30am On Oct 05, 2020
Wow!

First time for APC

I commend the party for this..
Re: Edo Election: I Won't Challenge Obaseki’s Victory, Says Ize-Iyamu by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:30am On Oct 05, 2020
Only PDP

Re: Edo Election: I Won't Challenge Obaseki’s Victory, Says Ize-Iyamu by oufksku: 9:30am On Oct 05, 2020
angry
Re: Edo Election: I Won't Challenge Obaseki’s Victory, Says Ize-Iyamu by iHart(m): 9:30am On Oct 05, 2020
Maturity,
Re: Edo Election: I Won't Challenge Obaseki’s Victory, Says Ize-Iyamu by ConnectYou6: 9:30am On Oct 05, 2020
‪“We Don’t want” Bamaso “ Youths shout loud to President Muhammad Buhari ����‬

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU2li-hEXEI
Re: Edo Election: I Won't Challenge Obaseki’s Victory, Says Ize-Iyamu by Judolisco(m): 9:30am On Oct 05, 2020
Smart move if obeseki defeat u again in court that's d end 4 you politically
Re: Edo Election: I Won't Challenge Obaseki’s Victory, Says Ize-Iyamu by BF69BF: 9:30am On Oct 05, 2020
[s]
AllOfUsAtManna:
lol
this guy you keep hurting yourself and consoling it at the same time grin

Ize have moved on
I taught you know politics but you're just an emotional kid.
you think APC (CPC faction) is interested in Edo election
if they're interested it would have been tough for Obaseki from the beginning and from the body language of Buhari and his CPC guys Edo election is done and dusted
Ize was just a pawn in the 2023 game.
you think they'll allow Oshiomole back on track again.
if Tinubu is not careful they'll clip his wings 100%
believe it or not this is buhari and his people doing and it's all about 2023 and it'll be easier for buhari and his CPC people to cede power to PDP than allow Tinubu or any of his cronies to come to power.
simply they don't trust Tinubu.
just like I predicted Ize defeat without sentiment this is likely to happen.

Buhari controls the court and head or tail there's no way Ize will win anything
he'll be creating more enemies for himself and Edolites will dislike him because trust me Ize is popular and Edolites likes him but they voted against Oshiomole.

One of laws of Power is crush your enemy completely
that's what they did to Oshiomole
[/s]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

South Africans Reacts To Their Govt.'s Appology To Nigeria. / 2015 Elections: Amaechi Spent $150m On APC Campaign – Wike / Northern Governors Forum, Reps To Buhari: Sack Service Chiefs Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.