Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,500 members, 7,826,877 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 10:13 PM

President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? (6100 Views)

US VP Calls Jonathan, Backs Use Of Card Reader - Thecable / Jonathan Backs Soludo For Anambra Guber Polls / Home | News | Jonathan Backs Push For New Revenue Formula..... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by habumaks(m): 11:13am On Mar 04, 2011
Jonathan backs out of presidential debate

President Goodluck Jonathan may not participate in the presidential debate to be organised by the NN24 and its associate as his representative tactfully refused to sign a Memorandum of Understanding for the event which is to be televised live on March 8 and 15.
However representatives of the three of the four leading presidential candidates in the upcoming April general elections signed the agreement on behalf of their principals. They are: Osita Okechukwu for Gen Muhammad Buhari (rtd) of Congress for Progressive Change (CPC), Sule Yau Sule for Mallam Ibrahim Shekarau of All Nigeria Peoples Party (ANPP) and Ibrahim Modibbo for Nuhu Ribadu of Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN).

The representative of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) presidential candidate and incumbent President, Goodluck Jonathan, Dr Doyin Okupe, however refused to sign the MoU.

He said he was at the occasion with the hope of attending a press briefing, explaining that he could not sign the MoU because he does not know the content and has not discussed with his principal.

Daily Trust gathered that the action may not be unconnected with reports in the media that said President Jonathan’s representative was demanding for advance debate questions as a precondition for participating in the event.

Reacting on the development, the Founder/Chief Executive of NN24, Anthony Dara, apologised for any embarrassment which the said publication might have caused.

Dara said the March 1 meeting in Abuja with representatives of the ACN, ANPP, CPC and PDP was in furtherance of NN24’s quest to host a neutral Presidential Debate among the four leading candidates.

He said “that at the said meeting, all parties asked questions about the format and manner in which the debate would be conducted”, adding that “NN24 and Associates wishes to urge all parties to refrain from misrepresentations and slanted reporting of events going forward”.

When asked to clarify the remarks made by Dr Okupe, he said the occasion was not a press conference but rather an avenue to sign a document that provides ground rules for the debate which was discussed at the earlier meeting. He added that the media report on their earlier meeting led to the issuance of the press release which he read.

He promised to reach out to the representatives of the PDP to ensure that all the leading presidential candidates were involved, stressing that the debate was aimed at providing a platform to promote nation building and to give opportunity for the candidates to sell their programmes.

“We want to set standards. We have a platform with a wide reach. We are seen across the continent. We have a footprint on our satellite system across the nation. We are on DSTV. And on this special broadcast, every broadcast and media company is free to take the signal off DSTV. So our programme is readily available to anyone. This debate will also be live on the internet. It is going to be on Sky in Europe. It will be viewed across Europe. We will field in the signals via broadcast and World TV in the United States. This platform is unique because on that very day, there is going to be worldwide broadcast,” Dara said.

The Director of Media and Communication for Nuhu Ribadu Campaign Organisation Modibbo appealed to President Jonathan to also avail himself of the opportunity provided by the debate as the first Phd holder as President of Nigeria. “Let him (Jonathan) make the difference. He is an educated man. Let him come. We challenge him. Let him not run away from a debate,” he added.

The Presidential Debate, which is strictly by invitation, will hold on March 8 at Eko Hotel in Lagos and March 15 at the Transcorp Hilton in Abuja.

The debate for all the Vice Presidential candidates will hold on March 11 at the Transcorp Hilton, Abuja. All the events are scheduled to hold between 6 p.m and 9 p.m

http://dailytrust.dailytrust.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=13423:jonathan-backs-out-of-presidential-debate&catid=2:lead-stories&Itemid=8
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by habumaks(m): 11:15am On Mar 04, 2011
This guy dey fear!!!
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by Nobody: 11:25am On Mar 04, 2011
No expo No Debate, grin grin
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by egift(m): 11:34am On Mar 04, 2011
He is a wasted opportunity of a lifetime.
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by solihu(m): 11:45am On Mar 04, 2011
I understand GEJ's plight here. Ya'll should let him be! By honouring this debate , y'all be questioning that Phd of his.
What a shame!
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by shevalync: 11:48am On Mar 04, 2011
Too bad! Seriously this isnt a laughing matter,Mr president scared of a public debate despite his level of education. embarassed  angry sad
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by honeric01(m): 11:51am On Mar 04, 2011
This GEJ is just a scam, why run from a debate if you truly know what the presidency is all about? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by 4dgood: 11:53am On Mar 04, 2011
Imagine Mr. President asking for expo before exams, I believe that was how he did and got his way through school, Olodo Rabata!!!!
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by Nobody: 11:57am On Mar 04, 2011
Machinery PHD (write for me i pay you!)  grin grin grin

By their association ye shall know them (GEJ & Associates LTD - Board Members - Patience J. (AKA killgrammer); Bode G. (AKA grandtheft); Gbomo J.(AKA GEJ); Obsanjo O.(AKA I dey laugh); Anenih T.(AKA NaijaRoadkill/kill free&fair election); Beaf (AKA GEJ Yanshleaker); and others!)

Ode incorporated!

All his certificates starting from Primary school should be investigated! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

BB - 2011 - or Mass protest! THE VOICE OF THE MASSES IS THE VOICE OF GOD!
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by lakeside4love(m): 12:24pm On Mar 04, 2011
Chicken Jonathan.
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by Becomrichn: 12:30pm On Mar 04, 2011
why
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by blacksta(m): 12:33pm On Mar 04, 2011
GEJ is one big fraud - And it high time the fraud is exposed.
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by MaiSuya(m): 12:41pm On Mar 04, 2011
KAI! this should be one of Nigeria's most ridiculed leader ever! embarassed grin

Poor GEJ. . .
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by Nattlil(m): 12:48pm On Mar 04, 2011
Mind ur Tongue GEJ is the change we need
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by 1025: 12:58pm On Mar 04, 2011
jonathan is a good example of what nigerian education can produce. i am not his fan but for the first time in my whole life, i am supporting him on this refusal.
i will let let him appear on this debate not after watching him in an interview with a cnn journalist. the small girl was able to make jonathan sweat in an airconditioned room. am not exergerating things. u can see that urself on youtube just type jonathan's interview on cnn.
our president is not like other bold criminals we have in nigeria so it will take him another yrs to wisen up and talk boldly like his counterparts. for now, he can be addressed as an innocent criminal.
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by Jamesakume(m): 1:00pm On Mar 04, 2011
I indeed is a shame to GEJ, If the reports are proven to be true. He has nothing to offer Nigerians and should please leave the business of governance to those who have our interest at heart. I weep for the years of decadence & confusion we have suffered in the hands of the ruling class. A short visit to the National Assembly will convince you that we are governed by Illiterate men, who make laws they know nothing about. What is so difficult about a simple debate? Why is GEJ always making headlines for the very wrong reasons? For a man who claims to have the answer to our problems, i believe he should know his Agenda by heart. Its Time for change & Nuhu RIbadu is that change agent.
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by habumaks(m): 1:01pm On Mar 04, 2011
Nattlil:

Mind your Tongue GEJ is the change we need

Change indeed!!
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by egift(m): 1:07pm On Mar 04, 2011
Nattlil:

Mind your Tongue GEJ is the change we need

This type of change? Even this type will not get him the Presidency.

Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by habumaks(m): 1:09pm On Mar 04, 2011
You will NEVER see people like Beaf responding on this type of threads.

Where are the GEJ supporters?

Shameless and uneducated people supporting their likes!!!
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by Nobody: 1:26pm On Mar 04, 2011
He did the right thing, he would have made a total joke of himself. President that called polythene bag water proof at an international meeting. I'm so glad nigerians are beginning to speak out against these good-for-nothing-english-killing-ECA depleting-idio.tic-mo.roon
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by Arosa(m): 1:29pm On Mar 04, 2011
na so we see am o.

Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by rebranded(m): 1:31pm On Mar 04, 2011
Where is beaf, AgainstGEJ, ma_j_blige and the other aliases

they are tired of making excuses for GEJ and PDP grin
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by shevalync: 1:35pm On Mar 04, 2011
rebranded:

They are busy looking for the expo lol!
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by ladi02(m): 1:37pm On Mar 04, 2011
rebranded:

Or they have not been paid for the month of March shocked
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by 1025: 4:51pm On Mar 04, 2011
is not only jonathan, it is against the law of pdp as a party to attand public debates. i was listening to dosumu (pdp gubernitorial candidate of lagos) on wazobia one day and i felt too bad. can u invite my state(imo) gov - ohakim for a public debate? the gov of abia state ran away so let us not blame joe rather it is their party.
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by apoti(m): 5:24pm On Mar 04, 2011
Please where are all the GEJ supporters. What a coincidence that none of them has read this thread cheesy

or are they cowards like thier boss grin grin
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by Pharoh: 7:59pm On Mar 04, 2011
Thumbs up for Goodluck in avoiding this debate as it is pointless and serves no useful purpose judging from the situation on ground. Debate has never translated to actual actions, it is just an avenue to boast about what you cannot do. There are several platforms to reach out to Nigerians and the Goodluck is free to choose what he likes, it is not by force to come for a debate. The others can go ahead with the debate if that is really what they want. There are better options that can be used to communicate your programs and manifesto to the voters which is the ultimate goal and not this pointless debate.
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by honeric01(m): 9:04pm On Mar 04, 2011
Pharoh:

Thumbs up for Goodluck in avoiding this debate as it is pointless and serves no useful purpose judging from the situation on ground. Debate has never translated to actual actions, it is just an avenue to boast about what you cannot do. There are several platforms to reach out to Nigerians and the Goodluck is free to choose what he likes, it is not by force to come for a debate. The others can go ahead with the debate if that is really what they want. There are better options that can be used to communicate your programs and manifesto to the voters which is the ultimate goal and not this pointless debate.

A PHd holding lecturer that should be a public speaker running away from a debate with some "ABOKI"? this is real changi grin grin grin grin grin

Hope you can read all these hilarious posts?

blink182:

He did the right thing, he would have made a total joke of himself. President that called polythene bag water proof at an international meeting. I'm so glad nigerians are beginning to speak out against these good-for-nothing-english-killing-ECA depleting-idio.tic-mo.roon
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

rebranded:

shevalync:

They are busy looking for the expo lol!

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

ladi02:

Or they have not been paid for the month of March shocked

These people no go kill me with laugh oo  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

LWTMHU  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

L = Laugh

W = Wan

T = Turn

M = My

H = Head

U = upsidedown

grin grin grin grin grin grin

I am picturing GEJ running with his tail between his toothpick looking legs  grin grin grin grin grin

If he eventually attends the debate, look out for words like these:

Powerline = high voltage wire/high stationed wire

dundun = fried yam

Santana = cassava mould

kindly add more to it grin grin grin
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by Pharoh: 9:24pm On Mar 04, 2011
honeric01:

A PHd holding lecturer that should be a public speaker running away from a debate with some "ABOKI"? this is real changi grin grin grin grin grin

Yes he is a public speaker and he has done that in various capacities, conferences and even rallies if you want to factor this election campaigning so there is not doubt about that.  He simply is not interested so why can't you guys get it, listen to the ones who wants to debate and choose who to vote for. Those that will vote for goodluck already know how and when he has communicated his plans to them. It is not by force to debate or what exactly is the issue here. What is the fuse about this debate or did MKO had a debate before the presidential election in 1993? same for shagari and the first republic elections. What is the benefit of a debate that cannot be served by other means, he has communicated with Nigerians on facebook, through his campaign and he thinks that is enough.

Being a Phd holder does not translate to a competent public speaker, you must have gone through the presentations of many lecturers and i doubt if they all performed equally. Being a good public debater does not translate to a better administrator or manager. It is one thing to perform very well at the debate and another thing to perform well when you are actually given the job to do. You guys are just trying to make a mountain out of nothing and i doubt any one of you would even manage a local government if given the job. A good strategist picks the battle he has the highest comparative advantage of winning and he is not driven by impulse or popular opinions.
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by ShangoThor(m): 9:36pm On Mar 04, 2011
I’m a neutral and I think GEJ is right because I assessed what happened during the ‘alleged’ Lagos governorship debate, and below is what I said on that thread.

There was no debate!
What I witnessed was an adhoc question and answer session mainly fired at Fashola. Where was the debating? Randle used the opportunity to bring up a personal matter; Dosunmu was asking about published accounts, where was the debate, was there any substance to any of the responses? Do Nigerians actually know what debate means? I weep for my nation this is the best Lagos has to offer and the main challenges to Fashola’s incumbency? Put it this way, the combined incompetence of the other contestants made Fashola shine like the Northern Star.
Its time for the younger more confident generation to take over as the old guard continually display sheer incompetence. This is Nigeria, not the Federal Sharia Banana Republic of Niger Area.

In order to have a purposeful debate we need parameters or a scope set, and meaningful questions should be drafted otherwise we end up with an impromptu discussion!
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by honeric01(m): 9:45pm On Mar 04, 2011
Pharoh:

Yes he is a public speaker and he has done that in various capacities, conferences and even rallies if you want to factor this election campaigning so there is not doubt about that.  He simply is not interested so why can't you guys get it, listen to the ones who wants to debate and choose who to vote for. Those that will vote for goodluck already know how and when he has communicated his plans to them. It is not by force to debate or what exactly is the issue here. What is the fuse about this debate or did MKO had a debate before the presidential election in 1993? same for shagari and the first republic elections. What is the benefit of a debate that cannot be served by other means, he has communicated with Nigerians on facebook, through his campaign and he thinks that is enough.

Being a Phd holder does not translate to a competent public speaker, you must have gone through the presentations of many lecturers and i doubt if they all performed equally. Being a good public debater does not translate to a better administrator or manager. It is one thing to perform very well at the debate and another thing to perform well when you are actually given the job to do. You guys are just trying to make a mountain out of nothing and i doubt any one of you would even manage a local government if given the job. A good strategist picks the battle he has the highest comparative advantage of winning and he is not driven by impulse or popular opinions.

Have you actually watched any of the campaign PDP? he reads everything from the book and even gets expo from others standing besides him, hardly talks from his head.
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by jason123: 9:52pm On Mar 04, 2011
He will always back out. I have said it once on this site, GEJ will never attend a debate. He just can't!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Pdp Accuses Cpc Of Inciting Nigerians / [LIST] Names Of Senators Who Did Not Pass A Vote Of Confidence On Saraki / Tabansi Udene - Son Of A Popular Late Igwe Leads Biafrans In Protest(pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.