Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,074 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:18 AM

Jonathan Promises Stable Power Supply In Four (4) Years - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Promises Stable Power Supply In Four (4) Years (5328 Views)

Akoko Edo Where You Can Have Stable Power Supply / Stable Power Supply Underway , Says Buhari / I Can Provide Stable Power In Eight Months - Fashola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan Promises Stable Power Supply In Four (4) Years by Righton: 4:21pm On Mar 10, 2011
kasiem:

Ipso facto obj debacled our government doesn't insinuate that Gej is a flunker, cos there is wide lacuna diverging the two characters. In lagos tinubu messed up, but fashola came up and emended everything.
How does that affect the promise made 4 years ago when Yaradua and Jonathan were campaigning that 10,000MW would be achieved by Dec 2007
Just in case the chameleon cannot count, that was 4 years ago!
Re: Jonathan Promises Stable Power Supply In Four (4) Years by Righton: 4:23pm On Mar 10, 2011
BTW, how does this look inspiring
http://www.nigeria.gov.ng/administration.html
Re: Jonathan Promises Stable Power Supply In Four (4) Years by yeswecan(m): 4:34pm On Mar 10, 2011
Why don't you save yourself the explanation Mr. Jonathan and privatize the power sector ? it has been proven over again that government cannot manage itself talk-less of running a whole sector- privatize this and step aside.
Re: Jonathan Promises Stable Power Supply In Four (4) Years by lastpage: 4:39pm On Mar 10, 2011
I will stabilize power in 4yrs - GEJ

Aaaaaah! We don hear dis one before naah? [size=16pt]Or are you no longer a part of the 7-point Agenda?[/size] wink wink
Re: Jonathan Promises Stable Power Supply In Four (4) Years by hilli666(m): 4:57pm On Mar 10, 2011
To think I used to like this guy Can't. Sill Ill vote for him because he the lesser of two evils.
Re: Jonathan Promises Stable Power Supply In Four (4) Years by Areosapien(f): 5:51pm On Mar 10, 2011
Tales!
Re: Jonathan Promises Stable Power Supply In Four (4) Years by Delta007(m): 5:55pm On Mar 10, 2011
So many people are ignorant about the real issues when it comes to Nigeria's power crisis. To plainly put it, any politician that tells you he can fix the crisis within a year is either lying or does not know what it takes to fix the issue. 4 Years is very very optimistic, quite frankly.

If Obj's regulation plans had worked, Nigerians would only be seeing the benefits now and Obj started the power reform in his second term, which is more that 4 years ago. Who stopped Obj's plan? Same Nigerians who said the deregulation process was not transparent; so they used the opportunity to probe and loot and found nothing wrong with the process. Back to square one. GEJ can only try but it's the same Nigerians that were fasting and praying the other day at PHCN simpply because the sector is about to be deregulated. What's the way forward? Capital Investments over several years. The Power sector has been starved of funds and investment for eons since the military has been ruling and it will not take a year or two to fix. It will be a process and could easily span 6-10 years. Take it from someone who works for a few Energy Firms in North America and has a genuine interest in the Nigerian energy crisis.

The other day, I read an article by a Nigerian who called himself an energy consultant that had a plan to get uninterrupted power within 6mths. Hogwash. Folks, it's not compulsory to comment on every article; if you must, try to seek the deeper truth. I'm no fan of any politician but GEJ ís closer to the truth than any other politician running. All will tell you they'd fix the power issue; ask them how and see how they fumble.
Re: Jonathan Promises Stable Power Supply In Four (4) Years by Blazay(m): 6:00pm On Mar 10, 2011
Yeah, yeah, yeah!

So did OBJ!

Heh heh heh

What will happen to all the governmental, generator-contractors and all their jobless offsprings on NL and and beyond the cyber world hehn?

God hellep uzzzz ooooooh!!!! cry
Re: Jonathan Promises Stable Power Supply In Four (4) Years by Raymonbell(m): 6:12pm On Mar 10, 2011
I cant imagine 9ja president is a liar when we no get light for the 6day in Ejigbo and agodo.ha shai people deceiving people
Re: Jonathan Promises Stable Power Supply In Four (4) Years by alanbolo(m): 6:23pm On Mar 10, 2011
@ Delta007,   

Nice one.   If the deregulation have not been stopped after OBJ era, we would have progressed in solving our probs, even at that, his regime laid d foundation for those mini generating plants that were been commissioned around d country by last year (2010).    With a capital investment of these magnititude, it's not possible to tackle even a Single-State power problem within a calendar year.   

Ask d expects in generation and distribution of power plants across d globe.  US with the yearly investment of funds is still behind in clean energy that have been in research/implementation process years back.  In as much as I'll like to be have 24/7/365 of uninterrupted power in 9ja, I don't think anyone can achieve it with 2 years.

Either way, 9ja will not spoil.
Re: Jonathan Promises Stable Power Supply In Four (4) Years by honeric01(m): 6:32pm On Mar 10, 2011
Solution to power?

Let each state have the sole right to generate electricity and let them manage whatever they can generate.
Re: Jonathan Promises Stable Power Supply In Four (4) Years by Rhino5dm: 6:46pm On Mar 10, 2011
God has ordained him to rules us, cant you people see the hand of God in him?? who can fight God?? " NO ONE CAN CURSE WHO GOD HAS BLESS"
GEJ carry go jare!

[size=22pt]FRESH AIR 2011[/size]
Re: Jonathan Promises Stable Power Supply In Four (4) Years by Evans5050: 7:06pm On Mar 10, 2011
How long will this deceit last? Same PDP promise for the past 12 years,
Do not see him doing any Magic now with this same set of men.
Re: Jonathan Promises Stable Power Supply In Four (4) Years by seunbballo(m): 7:13pm On Mar 10, 2011
I have been shouting up nepa for 32 years and i cant see an end in sight - Abeg let your daughter join you as you both shout up nepa.

I can't laugh enough. Even though i am in the UK and paying for my electricity, i can't seem to understand Nigeria's inability to secure 24/7 electricity

all over the country. A country with so much sunlight in a day dat is even enough to power the whole country if the country wants to go towards the

hi tech solar power generating electricity for our homes. I know some people will say that is an expensive route but its not when all solar panel industries

and all equipments are manufactured in Nigeria. At least we no go dey see overhead live cables in our streets and road. Those live falling cables have killed

so many in naija as well. Oro Nigeria hmmmn, Awon Leaders lor baje.
Re: Jonathan Promises Stable Power Supply In Four (4) Years by Nobody: 7:59pm On Mar 10, 2011
okay folks after coming back from work today I set about to fixing my gen with the mechanic. For some months NEPA ''blesses'' us each night from 11pm till 5am except when their in a bad mood (which, surprisingly happens alot).

For the last three days i think the regional director had a problem with his girlfriend i could tell cos of the quarter-current they bestowed on us, damaging all the electronics it could.

Finally, yesterday they flashed us full current light about 5pm for like 10 minutes, making us believe we'd have full current as our ''ration'' at night. Oho!, the way the PHCN workers must have laughed at us in their offices that day, because at night while on our knees with our hands outstretched we got another 5 minutes of light and that was it! Mosquitoes must have been pre- informed because they came in their droves.

I can't wait another four years in this before i get in my Nigerian home the comfort i get in Ghana's villages. Even if i ''must'' wait, i want a weekly official public update on the matter. For 50 years we have been in this particular pit and i want to get out while i'm still youthful.
Re: Jonathan Promises Stable Power Supply In Four (4) Years by Delta007(m): 7:59pm On Mar 10, 2011
honeric01:

Solution to power?

Let each state have the sole right to generate electricity and let them manage whatever they can generate.
Again, it's easy to just throw solutions from a keyboard. It's not as easy as saying let each state have sole right to generate electricity and let them manage whatever they generate.

Currently, you solution is similar to what is going on at the moment. Any state that has the money can go build power plants. Why are they not building? Because power plants cost money. They are long term investments. So, sensible state governors have tried to encourage investors in this regards. It's not a today-tomorrow venture. It takes time to correct the power crisis in Nigeria. If you have money, enter Nigeria and go build a power plant today. You'd triple your investment over the long run but you'd realise say power generation no be beans.

No doubt the technology is there but the logistics is not in place, just yet and with everybody thinking they have the right solution, it will even be more difficult to arrive at the solution.
Re: Jonathan Promises Stable Power Supply In Four (4) Years by Delta007(m): 8:06pm On Mar 10, 2011
The PHCN regional manager having issues with his girlfriend who lives close to you, has no correlation with GEJ. While I agree that we Nigerians make it difficult for ourselves while blaming others, there's obviously a fundamental issue with our energy crisis.

If PHCN is privatised today, no manager can hold a region because of a dispute with his spouse simply because the firm has every incentive to make money, since it is profit driven. On the other hand, the government has to help regulate the industry to ensure that end users are protected from exploitation. Simple ideology but very difficult concept to implement in Nigeria. Even within a small LGA in Nigeria, our selfish mentality does not allow us to see beyond our noses; but then, it's Jonathan's fault. undecided
Stromae:

okay folks after coming back from work today I set about to fixing my gen with the mechanic. For some months NEPA ''blesses'' us each night from 11pm till 5am except when their in a bad mood (which, surprisingly happens alot).

For the last three days i think the regional director had a problem with his girlfriend i could tell cos of the quarter-current they bestowed on us, damaging all the electronics it could.

Finally, yesterday they flashed us full current light about 5pm for like 10 minutes, making us believe we'd have full current as our ''ration'' at night. Oho!, the way the PHCN workers must have laughed at us in their offices that day, because at night while on our knees with our hands outstretched we got another 5 minutes of light and that was it! Mosquitoes must have been pre- informed because they came in their droves.

I can't wait another four years in this before i get in my Nigerian home the comfort i get in Ghana's villages. Even if i ''must'' wait, i want a weekly official public update on the matter. For 50 years we have been in this particular pit and i want to get out while i'm still youthful.
Re: Jonathan Promises Stable Power Supply In Four (4) Years by Kobojunkie: 8:43pm On Mar 10, 2011
Delta007:

So many people are ignorant about the real issues when it comes to Nigeria's power crisis. To plainly put it, any politician that tells you he can fix the crisis within a year is either lying or does not know what it takes to fix the issue. 4 Years is very very optimistic, quite frankly.

If Obj's regulation plans had worked, Nigerians would only be seeing the benefits now and Obj started the power reform in his second term, which is more that 4 years ago. Who stopped Obj's plan? Same Nigerians who said the deregulation process was not transparent; so they used the opportunity to probe and loot and found nothing wrong with the process. Back to square one. GEJ can only try but it's the same Nigerians that were fasting and praying the other day at PHCN simpply because the sector is about to be deregulated. What's the way forward? Capital Investments over several years. The Power sector has been starved of funds and investment for eons since the military has been ruling and it will not take a year or two to fix. It will be a process and could easily span 6-10 years. Take it from someone who works for a few Energy Firms in North America and has a genuine interest in the Nigerian energy crisis.

The other day, I read an article by a Nigerian who called himself an energy consultant that had a plan to get uninterrupted power within 6mths. Hogwash. Folks, it's not compulsory to comment on every article; if you must, try to seek the deeper truth. I'm no fan of any politician but GEJ ís closer to the truth than any other politician running. All will tell you they'd fix the power issue; ask them how and see how they fumble.

Stop telling yourselves stories already . . ,  Stop lying to yourselves.

Deregulation is not a QUICK fix to everything. Stop preaching it as if it is. Even if you deregulate this year, you are likely not going to see noticeable changes for 6 or more years.

Yes Deregulation was put on the table, and yes, it all sounds so good in theory, but the same Obasanjo lost billions on of our money working on this. Why now pretend it was all going so well when it was not.
Re: Jonathan Promises Stable Power Supply In Four (4) Years by raycomray: 8:49pm On Mar 10, 2011
I was in Delta state few weeks back and you wouldn,t believe it that we enjoyed more than 22hrs off steady power supply per day. right now, am in my LAGOS office since last sunday and we have got more than 23hrs power supply in 24hrs. some weeks ago, power supply in my office in lagos was about 3hr a day. I just can't believe it.
Re: Jonathan Promises Stable Power Supply In Four (4) Years by Awhotu(m): 8:50pm On Mar 10, 2011
nobody can make Nig. power to be constant over night. expert gruadual improvement of power till the next 4 yrs. i can see some improvement in d power right now. Gej is really trying. he nor easy to repair waitin our past leaders don destroy. Gej 2011. say no to Anti-Gej.
Re: Jonathan Promises Stable Power Supply In Four (4) Years by dayokanu(m): 8:54pm On Mar 10, 2011
OBJ and the PDP actually said we would have stable light by December 2001.

We nigerians should be enjoying 10yrs of uninterrupted power right now

Pls vote out PDP.
Re: Jonathan Promises Stable Power Supply In Four (4) Years by cold(m): 9:04pm On Mar 10, 2011
The truth is Nigeria will never experience 24/7 power supply because the forces weighing against such a feat are overwhelming
Re: Jonathan Promises Stable Power Supply In Four (4) Years by Awhotu(m): 9:08pm On Mar 10, 2011
dayokanu:

OBJ and the PDP actually said we would have stable light by December 2001.

We nigerians should be enjoying 10yrs of uninterrupted power right now

Pls vote out PDP.

how did u know dat ur Buarriii or Ribbadddo will give u constant power. do u know their mind. was Gej d president of ur country 2001.
Re: Jonathan Promises Stable Power Supply In Four (4) Years by Kobojunkie: 9:09pm On Mar 10, 2011
raycomray:

I was in Delta state few weeks back and you wouldn,t believe it that we enjoyed more than 22hrs off steady power supply per day. right now, am in my LAGOS office since last sunday and we have got more than 23hrs power supply in 24hrs. some weeks ago, power supply in my office in lagos was about 3hr a day. I just can't believe it.

Excuse please . ,  start using your head a bit more. The fact is production has not increased much in years( I think much of last year, we turned the spigot back on on the much we lost during the yar adua administration, and then about 3 or more plants, some of which were commenced under Obasanjo came on to get us approximately 3800MW which we still have) . If Zero MW is being added, where do you think your 24 hour electricity is coming from? You think it is magic?? Doesn't it seem to you that it would mean some people will have to have their own supply reduced in order for you to get your 22 hours? Do you think it is fare to them that they loose electricity so you can pretend for how long that the situation has improved? Do you think it is fair to you that you are being made to think that things have improved for minute, so you can shout halleluia and maybe vote that the current government continues a bit longer?? Let's please stop being selfish.  sad sad
Re: Jonathan Promises Stable Power Supply In Four (4) Years by dayokanu(m): 9:12pm On Mar 10, 2011
Awhotu:

how did u know dat your Buarriii or Ribbadddo will give u constant power. do u know their mind. was Gej d president of your country 2001.

GEJ has been there for a while and he is seen romancing with the same people that stole all everything. He is simply same of the same.

I would rather take my chances with someone else than stick to the cycle of failure called GEJ
Re: Jonathan Promises Stable Power Supply In Four (4) Years by Delta007(m): 9:21pm On Mar 10, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Stop telling yourselves stories already . . ,  Stop lying to yourselves.

Deregulation is not a QUICK fix to everything. Stop preaching it as if it is. Even if you deregulate this year, you are likely not going to see noticeable changes for 6 or more years.

Yes Deregulation was put on the table, and yes, it all sounds so good in theory, but the same Obasanjo lost billions on of our money working on this. Why now pretend it was all going so well when it was not.
Where did I say Deregulation was a quick fix? undecided Did you read my earlier posts where I said 4 years was a really optimistic timeline?

Nobody knows if Obj's strategy was the best solution because Yaradua's administration halted the process and it was never implemented. Four years later, we are even worse off.  What we all know is that Obj had a plan which he began implementing before he left office. I'd leave the speculations to you.
Re: Jonathan Promises Stable Power Supply In Four (4) Years by honeric01(m): 9:38pm On Mar 10, 2011
Delta007:

Again, it's easy to just throw solutions from a keyboard. It's not as easy as saying let each state have sole right to generate electricity and let them manage whatever they generate.

Currently, you solution is similar to what is going on at the moment. Any state that has the money can go build power plants. Why are they not building? Because power plants cost money. They are long term investments. So, sensible state governors have tried to encourage investors in this regards. It's not a today-tomorrow venture. It takes time to correct the power crisis in Nigeria. If you have money, enter Nigeria and go build a power plant today. You'd triple your investment over the long run but you'd realise say power generation no be beans.

No doubt the technology is there but the logistics is not in place, just yet and with everybody thinking they have the right solution, it will even be more difficult to arrive at the solution.

See lies, it seems you don't know what you are talking about, as it currently stands, any states that generate any electricity must hand it over to the federal government (national grid), that's why most states don't want to waste their time and resources. why should i generate power that won't be used by me?
Re: Jonathan Promises Stable Power Supply In Four (4) Years by 9ijaMan: 9:44pm On Mar 10, 2011
honeric01:

See lies, it seems you don't know what you are talking about, as it currently stands, any states that generates any electricity must hand it over to the federal government (national grid), that's why most states don't want to waste their time and resources. why should i generate power that won't be used by me?
No mind the ignoramus. Most GEJ fans here are probably below the voting age as they don't even understand simple issues related to power distribution in 9ja.
Re: Jonathan Promises Stable Power Supply In Four (4) Years by Kobojunkie: 9:52pm On Mar 10, 2011
Delta007:

Where did I say Deregulation was a quick fix? undecided Did you read my earlier posts where I said 4 years was a really optimistic timeline?

Well, granted I didn't read your earlier post . . . but deregulation is certainly not a fix all and it is, like you claim you asserted, not a quick fix either.
Delta007:

Nobody knows if Obj's strategy was the best solution because Yaradua's administration halted the process and it was never implemented. Four years later, we are even worse off.  What we all know is that Obj had a plan which he began implementing before he left office. I'd leave the speculations to you.

No . . . please do not try the "nobody know's" line. From the much we know today, Obasanjo's strategy cost us way more than it promised to deliver. If it was not implemented, where did the billions of unaccounted funds go then? Please go back and read what really took place. Not pretend we DO NOT KNOW WHAT likely happened.
Re: Jonathan Promises Stable Power Supply In Four (4) Years by chriswely: 10:44pm On Mar 10, 2011
Hahahahahahaha @GEJ I didnt expect nytin less, wen ur sponsors are in partnership and also possess shares in most of tha companies that manufacture generators that dey import to Nigeria, how will you (a common PHD holder in Zoology) now come n spoil their market, im sure u kno how to run a zoo perfectli well but 1 q? plzzz, can u run a country?
Re: Jonathan Promises Stable Power Supply In Four (4) Years by Udevex: 10:56pm On Mar 10, 2011
More grease to GEJ's elbows. What a guy! Vote for Fresh Air 2011! cool
Re: Jonathan Promises Stable Power Supply In Four (4) Years by efisher(m): 11:37pm On Mar 10, 2011
To all those who think the power problem cannot be fixed in less than four years, what do you think about these:

1. The remarkable Nigerian telecom sector reform started in 2001 and by 2004 the network has grown from 0.5m lines to 10m lines; representing a 20 fold increase in 3 years.
2. Burj Khalifa in Dubai, United Arab Emirates (currently the tallest man-made structure ever built) was built in about 5 years.
3. Qatar moved from one of the smallest players in LNG to the largest LNG exporter in the world in less than a decade.
What about China, Toyota, etc…

These examples are just to show that with the right conditions in place, a lot can be achieved in a short time. The Nigerian telecom sector is a very good example for us. Just 10 years ago who would have thought that university students with limited funds in their pockets can afford and maintain mobile phones! Nigerians spend billions generating their own power. I am very sure that with the right kind of president, a reasonable transformation of the power sector can be achieved in 2 years.

All he/she needs to do is set the stage. Just like the telecom sector, the market will drive the development. We have EVERYTHING we need. With the right policies, we can achieve 100% availability of power in a good number of states in 4 years. Coverage will only depend on how serious the government is.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

June 12: Nigerian Boys Who Changed The Rule Of The Game By Hijacking A Plane / Reno Omokri Has Been Sacked / Photos: US Dumps 24 Mine Resistant Vehicles To Nigerian Army

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.