Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,412 members, 7,812,221 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:16 AM

Are You Proud Of Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are You Proud Of Nigeria? (2544 Views)

Fashola Made Me A Proud Grandfather- Tinubu / "I Am So Proud Of My Husband" – Aisha Buhari / Yoruba-Men Must Be Proud Of Obasanjo — Aregbesola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are You Proud Of Nigeria? by yemupz(m): 12:40pm On Feb 03, 2006
How many of us are really proud of being nigerians, with all this brain drain, coruption and soiled international image lipsrsealed Would you raise your fingers in support of this country. Or if you had the opportunity to die and be born again, u fit choose to be born again as Nigerian
Re: Are You Proud Of Nigeria? by pie1ect(m): 4:51pm On Feb 07, 2006
Tough one.
Nigeria (as a place) does not inspire any confidence or pride in me at the moment, but all the same I am Nigerian and proud to be one.
Re: Are You Proud Of Nigeria? by segun06: 12:46am On Feb 09, 2006
Right now, I must confess, I'm not too proud of being an African. I say African becuase, over here in the U.S people don't think of Africa as a continent, they think of it as a place filled with "bush people".  And i'm even more ashamed to be a Nigerian because we spend so much time trying to be something we are not. While the thing we are trying to be thinks are nothing but a couple of helpless illiterate. 
Hope to see an Africa we all can b proud of some day.
Re: Are You Proud Of Nigeria? by hotangel2(f): 2:41am On Feb 10, 2006
im proud.
Re: Are You Proud Of Nigeria? by SIBLI06(m): 1:18pm On Feb 10, 2006
I'm a proud brit married to a dream nigerian lady
Re: Are You Proud Of Nigeria? by Hotstepper(f): 3:07am On Mar 08, 2006
u don't have 2 think of wat ppl in da states thinks of africa b4 u can be proud, AMERICANS r very IGNORANT ppl and worst places r in their country dan they r in Nigeria but media plays a good role showcasing da good part of dem, am a proud Nigerian regarless of wat ma ears ear
Re: Are You Proud Of Nigeria? by segun06: 7:22am On Mar 08, 2006
Agreed, while the media is bias there are some of the things they associate with us appears to be true. They think we are too stupid to take care of ourselves, thats true in the sense that we don't realize that to make something better we have to make some positive changes and even when we do realize that, we are too stupid to carry it out. The Nigerian youth spends his/her time worshiping the same guys who thinks he/she is still an homo erectus.
Re: Are You Proud Of Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:38pm On Mar 08, 2006
segun06:

Agreed, while the media is bias there are some of the things they associate with us appears to be true. They think we are too stupid to take care of ourselves, thats true in the sense that we don't realize that to make something better we have to make some positive changes and even when we do realize that, we are too stupid to carry it out. The Nigerian youth spends his/her time worshiping the same boys who thinks he/she is still an homo erectus.

you sound like you do have an inferiority complex. You are ashamed to be both african and i won't be far from the mark to say u're also ashamed of ur color.
Poor you. no matter how much u try to distance urself away from the truth, the fact remains that u're nigerian. The fact that some Americans think "we (i exclude myself) are too stupid to take care of ourselves and u believe speaks volume of ur state of mind. Where were u when the likes of Prof Chinua Achebe, Prof Wole Soyinka, Dr. Beko Ransome-Kuti, Prof Emeagwali were doing us proud as Nigerians.
If your friends think Africans are stupid, most likely they secretly think you are also stupid and only take care of urself becos u now live in their country.

shame on u for not standing up for your continent and country!
Re: Are You Proud Of Nigeria? by segun06: 6:54am On Mar 09, 2006
you sound like you do have an inferiority complex. You are ashamed to be both african and i won't be far from the mark to say u're also ashamed of your color.
Poor you. no matter how much u try to distance yourself away from the truth, the fact remains that u're nigerian. The fact that some Americans think "we (i exclude myself) are too stupid to take care of ourselves and u believe speaks volume of your state of mind. Where were u when the likes of Prof Chinua Achebe, Prof Wole Soyinka, Dr. Beko Ransome-Kuti, Prof Emeagwali were doing us proud as Nigerians.
If your friends think Africans are stupid, most likely they secretly think you are also stupid and only take care of yourself because u now live in their country.

shame on u for not standing up for your continent and country!

All I'm saying is this: the way Africa is being portrayed in the media is very degrading, and its not just Americans degrading us. And for us to just stand there and watch them degrade the home of all black people doesn't speak well of us as a people. All the great people you mentioned did make us proud, but the media rarely talks about them so their achievements are not well known, meanwhile they are degrading us everyday. And you said shame on me for not standing up for my continent/ country, well who is standing up for us anyway, you?

[center]We need action not words.[/center]
Re: Are You Proud Of Nigeria? by toshmann(m): 3:04pm On Mar 19, 2006
davidylan take a look at this;

prof wole soyinka, villified by the presidency over his advice that obj should drop the 3rd term ambition

chinua achebe; villified by the presidency for refusing to accept a national award in protest of the aso-rock controlled political crisis in anambra state(his home state).

beko ransome kuti; died recently due to illhealth.no thanx to continous struggle over the political situation in the country and poor healthcare system in nigeria

philip emeagwali; no information known to me (u may help me here) about any special honor done to him by his country.

tell me, what kind of nation treats its heroes this way
Re: Are You Proud Of Nigeria? by omon(m): 5:18pm On Mar 19, 2006
toshmann:

davidylan take a look at this;

prof wole soyinka, villified by the presidency over his advice that obj should drop the 3rd term ambition

chinua achebe; villified by the presidency for refusing to accept a national award in protest of the aso-rock controlled political crisis in anambra state(his home state).

beko ransome kuti; died recently due to illhealth.no thanx to continous struggle over the political situation in the country and poor healthcare system in nigeria

philip emeagwali; no information known to me (u may help me here) about any special honor done to him by his country.

tell me, what kind of nation treats its heroes this way

Thank God you said OBJ and not Nigerians. I know that the majority of Nigerians appreciate these people who have done us proud.
Re: Are You Proud Of Nigeria? by Akolawole(m): 7:55pm On Mar 19, 2006
Yes, i will always be proud to be a Nigerian and even if i come back , i will still wish to be a Nigerian.
Re: Are You Proud Of Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:19pm On Mar 19, 2006
thank God helped me clarify the issue. there are millions of nigerians today who appreciate these heroes of ours and given the opportunity would rather vote for them than those leeches in power. it would be wrong to generalise that "nigerians" do not apprecate their heroes. those that do not are those who we are unrotunately saddled with as leaders.
Re: Are You Proud Of Nigeria? by pearl2(m): 10:18pm On Mar 21, 2006
Even though Nigeria as it is at the moment is just one big tragedy,and I rave about its many anomalies,deep within me, I've never wished am from somewhere else.I guess I would say with so much sorrow that am proud to be a Nigerian. cry cry
Re: Are You Proud Of Nigeria? by Imani(f): 10:37pm On Mar 24, 2006
I am proud to be a Nigerian. I like the fact that we are richly diverse in culture, language, food ect. This diversity should be celebrated rather used as discrimination. When it is not safe to claim to be a Nigerian, i claim to be an emergency West Indian tongue
Re: Are You Proud Of Nigeria? by toshmann(m): 10:40pm On Mar 24, 2006
Imani:

I When it is not safe to claim to be a Nigerian, i claim to be an emergency West Indian tongue

that says it all baby, u are not proud of nigeria. cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Are You Proud Of Nigeria? by Imani(f): 10:56pm On Mar 24, 2006
Mr Toshmann, from your profile you are based in Wales. How is the nigerian community there? In Manchester, well it is okay though i am not involved on a personal level. I am still proud to be nigerian but there are times nigerians do certain things and you just have to hide your face and lipsrsealed
Re: Are You Proud Of Nigeria? by toshmann(m): 11:30pm On Mar 24, 2006
baby do you realise that if nigeria is really a great country you will not hide your face when people from the nation do despicable things. you will stand out and the world will see you as an individual. and u'll still be proud of ur country.

but shame comes when a nation's intergrity is disreputable. a nations intergrity is maligned after years and decades of degradation socially, politically, economically etc.

since i came to u.k, anytime my country is mentioned, be it in class lectures,news, internet, it is for something negative. most recently it is the census. before now it was an adewumi that duped the office of the deputy prime minister and was jailed for it.

i'm told it(that perspective) has been like that for decades in the u.k. so in this situation if anyone from nigeria does something bad people here say yeah they behave that way, that is why you may claim carribean,that is why you are not 100% proud of your country
may be it aint ur fault
Re: Are You Proud Of Nigeria? by alexis(m): 1:29am On Mar 25, 2006
I am a Liberian by birth and have Nigerian family, I grew up in Nigeria and I will say that Nigeria is a good place, the people are good people and are willing to help no matter what. I like Nigeria because it acts like a big brother to it's west african neighbours i.e the war in Liberia - Nigeria spent over US$5 billion and lost over 2 battalions soldiers, sent troops to Sierra Leone. America didn't do jack nor did Britian or any other 1st world country.

Nigeria itself needs a radical change in almost all areas. If our government just gave us the basic necessities i.e water, electricity, security, education - We would go places that other countries could only dream about.

To answer the question - I am proud of Nigeria now but would want to come out as an Isreali
Re: Are You Proud Of Nigeria? by toshmann(m): 8:12pm On Mar 25, 2006
alexis:

To answer the question - I am proud of Nigeria now but would want to come out as an Isreali

cheesy cheesy cheesy ha ha ha. everybody is proud but??ha ha ha, 1st person is proud but claims west indian, 2nd person is proud but will want to come out as an israeli(sounds like he admires israel more. cheesy cheesy cheesy.

brothers, let's be sraight on this, if you are proud, really proud of nigeria, there will be no situation whereby you'll claim to be any other thing (security situation may be excused if nigerians are being killed somewhere,one may claim to be from togo if approached)

to be really proud u'll be by that nomenclature, NIGERAIN, anytime,anywhere
Re: Are You Proud Of Nigeria? by Imani(f): 9:41pm On Mar 25, 2006
@toshmann. you are so patriotic . maybe you should be the consular for nigerian affairs in the UK grin. you have my vote wink
Re: Are You Proud Of Nigeria? by toshmann(m): 10:12pm On Mar 25, 2006
Imani:

@toshmann. you are so patriotic . maybe you should be the consular for nigerian affairs in the UK grin. you have my vote wink

cheesy i believe in human dignity. i don't think anyone should be ashamed of who he/she is. i get pissed when people are looked down upon b/c of their assent or country. i love and i'm proud of who i am. infact I thank God for making me who I am. cheesy cheesy

i may not like what is going on in nigeria but make no mistake, it is my country, don't mess with it.

love wink
toshmann smiley
Re: Are You Proud Of Nigeria? by alexis(m): 3:10pm On Mar 26, 2006
toshman - A question was ask, if you could come back to the world again, what nationality would you prefer? I choose Isreal - there is nothing unpathrotic about this. I simply answered a question.
Re: Are You Proud Of Nigeria? by Imani(f): 3:18pm On Mar 26, 2006
@toshman,

Are u show u are just being patriotic or do u have friends in high places to secure future promotion grin
Re: Are You Proud Of Nigeria? by toshmann(m): 4:17pm On Mar 26, 2006
alexis:

toshman - A question was ask, if you could come back to the world again, what nationality would you prefer? I choose Isreal - there is nothing unpathrotic about this. I simply answered a question.

if i were to come back to the world again ,i'll prefer to come back as a very rich nigerian. that way i wont have obstacles at embassies when i want to go to any part of the world.and at same time i will enjoy my wealth more at home( nigeria remains the best place to enjoy your money)

Imani:

@toshman,
Are u show u are just being patriotic or do u have friends in high places to secure future promotion grin

if i had friends in high places what will i be doing in wales? i would have been in one big office in abuja enjoying the national cake and not one small bedroom in a student hall of residence in cardiff. i was more comfortable back home than i am here.
embarassed
Re: Are You Proud Of Nigeria? by Imani(f): 5:17pm On Mar 26, 2006
@toshman,

Sorry sweetie pie kiss diidnt mean to be nasty. wish i was as bold, out and proud like you are cry
well when you get part of the national cake, please rememeber me grin. Your one and only imani wink
Re: Are You Proud Of Nigeria? by alexis(m): 8:55pm On Mar 26, 2006
yep - he is one proud nigerian, we all are my brother.
Re: Are You Proud Of Nigeria? by deb(m): 4:21pm On Mar 04, 2009
Oh yeah I AM VERY PROUD OF NIGERIA?
The fact that we ourselves like to make noise about our problems as though we are the only ones who have problems
and the fact that the hypocritical international media also join in helping our local media magnify our problems so that they can sell,
I STILL REMAIN A PROUD NIGERIAN AND I AM PROUD OF NIGERIA.

There are so many positive things happening now in Nigeria but nobody is making noise about them. e.g. Removal of illegal governors with the actual election winners no local media or international media is magnifying it; The various transformation taking place in the Lagos City especially OSHODI! again no media is magnifying the story; More and more enterprenuers are emerging; The streets are getting cleaner; alot of Nigerians now prefer to buy
New Cars because they can afford to; Real Estates is booming; the middle class is fast returning to the economy; more foreigners are coming in to invest in the country damning their various government's warning especially about Niger Delta; we have the banking revolution and the rest.
Abeg, before I weigh you down with all the positives you all should know that here is one hell of a patriotic Nigerian screaming! ARISE O COMPATRIOT
Re: Are You Proud Of Nigeria? by JustGood(m): 4:31pm On Mar 04, 2009
I am proud to be a Nigerian but I am not proud of Nigeria.
Re: Are You Proud Of Nigeria? by jamace(m): 8:49pm On Mar 08, 2009
Tough one.
Nigeria (as a place) does not inspire any confidence or pride in me at the moment, but all the same I am Nigerian and proud to be one.

Na so o, my brother. I go with you. sad
Re: Are You Proud Of Nigeria? by mccloud224(m): 4:45am On Jul 24, 2009
The day I'll become a proud Nigerian is when we start behead corrupt govt officials (with speedy trial).In fast the day Nigeria will exist as a nation in my eyes is when every tom,dick and obasanjo is publicly beheaded at bar beach.
Re: Are You Proud Of Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:25am On Jul 24, 2009
I have to be proud of Nigerians before being proud of Nigeria.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Wole Soyinka Joins The Presidential Race / Killing Of Nigerian Soldiers In Peacekeeping Missions: / Dead Or Alive: Frantic Efforts To Fly Yar'adua "home" On Wednesday-saharareport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.