Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,338 members, 7,811,980 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:22 AM

Bishop Onah & Attacks On Muslims In Nsukka: Sultan Petitions IGP, DSS - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bishop Onah & Attacks On Muslims In Nsukka: Sultan Petitions IGP, DSS (36620 Views)

How Nigerians Contribute To Election Rigging They Complain About - Bishop Onah / Court Orders IGP, DSS To Release Sanusi From Detention / Deposed Emir Sanusi Sues IGP, DSS DG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bishop Onah & Attacks On Muslims In Nsukka: Sultan Petitions IGP, DSS by naptu2: 12:55pm On Nov 04, 2020
Sultan to IGP, DSS: Interrogate Bishop Onah over attacks on muslims in S- South, S-East

ON NOVEMBER 4, 2020. 11:53 AM. IN NEWS

By Luminous Jannamike

ABUJA – The Nigerian Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs (NSCIA) has petitioned the Inspector-General of Police, IGP Mohammed Adamu, and the Department of State Services, alleging that Bishop Godfrey Onah of Nsukka Catholic Diocese instigated the recent attacks on Muslims in the South-East and South-South regions.

NSCIA, under the leadership of the Sultan of Sokoto, Alh. Sa’ad Abubakar III, told the IGP that it possessed evidence which indicted the Catholic Bishop in last Saturday’s assault on Muslims in Nsukka, Enugu State.

The apex Muslim body, specifically alleged that some Christian bigots attacked Muslims in Nsukka and burnt their Mosque following a sermon delivered by Bishop Onah.

The Sultan explained that the attacks intensified following his appeal to the security agencies on October 23, to offer special protection to Muslims in the two regions in view of the threats they face.

The petition, signed on behalf of the Sultan by NSCIA’s Deputy Secretary-General, Prof. Salisu Shehu, reads in part: “On Saturday, October 31, 2020, some Christian bigots unleashed violent and virulent attack on Muslims in Nsukka and burnt their Mosques as a result of a hateful and inciting sermon, full of lies and fallacies, delivered by one Bishop Reverend Father Godfrey Igwebuike Onah

“In the sermon, it was clear that the Bishop instigated the worshippers against Mosques and Muslims. It would therefore require any disagreement, no matter how minute, to execute the premeditated havoc wreaked on the Muslims in the two zones.

“You may recall our letter dated 6 Rabiul-Awwal 1442 AH (23 October, 2020) wherein we implored the Nigeria Police Force to specially protect the lives, property and places of worship for Muslims living in the South-East and South-South.

“In the said letter, we informed you about the violent assaults being unleashed on the Muslims in some parts of the zones. Some were killed and their property worth billions of Naira were looted, vandalised or set on fire. Mosques including very ancient ones built by indigenous Igbo Muslims were burnt.

“Rather than abating, the persecution and violence against Muslims in the said two zones have persisted with greater intensity.”

The petition to the IGP, which was sighted by Our Correspondent on Wednesday in Abuja, warned that the recurrence of these kinds of virulent assault on Muslims in the two regions, if left unchecked, could surely ignite reprisals in other parts of the country, especially in the North.

“It has therefore become imperatively urgent to proactively bring an end to these criminality.

“In view of the above, the Nigeria Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs, on behalf of the entire Muslim Ummah, hereby reiterate our call to you, Sir, to rise up to this challenge and protect the lives and property of Muslims in the South-East and South-South as bonafide citizens of Nigeria who should live peacefully in any part of the country.

“Specifically, we also implore you,  as a matter of urgency interrogate, Reverend Father (Bishop) Godfrey Igwebuike Onah of his hate speech, inciting sermon of lies, fabricated to provoke hatred for Muslims,” the petition stressed.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2020/11/sultan-to-igp-dss-interrogate-bishop-onah-over-attacks-on-muslims-in-s-south-s-east/amp/

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bishop Onah & Attacks On Muslims In Nsukka: Sultan Petitions IGP, DSS by naptu2: 12:55pm On Nov 04, 2020
This is one of a series of videos posted by the Catholic Bishop of Nsukka, Most Reverend Godfrey Igwebuike Onah, to his YouTube channel on October 21. The theme of the homily was about the End SARS protests and the situation of the country, but I believe that it is this particular clip, in which he talked about mosques in Nsukka and churches in the north, that offended a lot of people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxwTa5TbKAU

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Bishop Onah & Attacks On Muslims In Nsukka: Sultan Petitions IGP, DSS by naptu2: 12:56pm On Nov 04, 2020

1 Like

Re: Bishop Onah & Attacks On Muslims In Nsukka: Sultan Petitions IGP, DSS by naptu2: 12:57pm On Nov 04, 2020
More

1 Like

Re: Bishop Onah & Attacks On Muslims In Nsukka: Sultan Petitions IGP, DSS by naptu2: 12:57pm On Nov 04, 2020
Re: Bishop Onah & Attacks On Muslims In Nsukka: Sultan Petitions IGP, DSS by joseph1832(m): 1:18pm On Nov 04, 2020
"Religion is the opiate of the masses" -Karl Marx

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bishop Onah & Attacks On Muslims In Nsukka: Sultan Petitions IGP, DSS by Liposure: 1:20pm On Nov 04, 2020
Why can't we tolerate one another in this country. Must we fight each other over ethnic differences, religious differences etc when we are suppose to live as one irrespective of the various barriers. Just look at the damage done by some unscrupulous elements in the name of riot or whatever point they are trying to prove. Sincerely speaking, we have a long way to go

19 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Bishop Onah & Attacks On Muslims In Nsukka: Sultan Petitions IGP, DSS by AdaugoChisom(f): 1:23pm On Nov 04, 2020
But when their Aboki children kill people they won't say anything. Herdsmen come to mind. Wolf in Sheep clothing

221 Likes 22 Shares

Re: Bishop Onah & Attacks On Muslims In Nsukka: Sultan Petitions IGP, DSS by bolanto24(m): 1:26pm On Nov 04, 2020
Nothing must happen to him... How many northern Muslim clerics have been arrested for hate messages or because they don't televise their own?

247 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Bishop Onah & Attacks On Muslims In Nsukka: Sultan Petitions IGP, DSS by slimfit1(m): 1:30pm On Nov 04, 2020
So what about the woman that was killed in Kano? You see why I get angry when our Obi and Oba's Rev and pastors keep quiet when its happens to us and preach peace knowing that the killers are not going to face the consequences.

Preach peace but demand justice or there will be more problem.

172 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Bishop Onah & Attacks On Muslims In Nsukka: Sultan Petitions IGP, DSS by Nobody: 1:31pm On Nov 04, 2020
Noted
Re: Bishop Onah & Attacks On Muslims In Nsukka: Sultan Petitions IGP, DSS by joseph1832(m): 1:31pm On Nov 04, 2020
naptu2:
This is one of a series of videos posted by the Catholic Bishop of Nsukka, Most Reverend Godfrey Igwebuike Onah to his YouTube channel on October 21. The theme of the homily was about the End SARS protests and the situation of the country, but I believe that it is this particular clip, in which he talked about mosques in Nsukka and churches in the north, that offended a lot of people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxwTa5TbKAU
he raised some salient points in this particular video.

While I'm not a believer of religion I still believe we need to do away with it, because it is among the number one thing that causes untold trouble in the polity.

Those who wrote the 1999 constitution should be questioned and asked why they included Sharia Law in the Constitution in a constitution that is suppose to guide a country they say is 'secular'.

All in all, the sooner we do away with religion, the better it will be for us all.

87 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Bishop Onah & Attacks On Muslims In Nsukka: Sultan Petitions IGP, DSS by naptu2: 1:32pm On Nov 04, 2020
joseph1832:
he raised some salient points in this particular video.

While I'm not a believer of religion I still believe we need to do away with it, because it is among the number one thing that causes untold trouble in the polity.

Those who wrote the 1999 constitution should be questioned and asked why they included Sharia Law in the Constitution in a constitution that is suppose to guide a country they say is 'secular'.

All in all, the sooner we do away with religion, the better it will be for us all.

Sharia law has been in the constitution since 1960. It is part of customary law.

18 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Bishop Onah & Attacks On Muslims In Nsukka: Sultan Petitions IGP, DSS by forgiveness: 1:33pm On Nov 04, 2020
Did he incite violence in the video above?

76 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Bishop Onah & Attacks On Muslims In Nsukka: Sultan Petitions IGP, DSS by naptu2: 1:34pm On Nov 04, 2020
I'm saving this space to post more of Bishop Onah's videos.

On ASUU strike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoJ9wx3V8xk

Christians are half the population. How have they affected Nigeria?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QtuowoPkyo

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bishop Onah & Attacks On Muslims In Nsukka: Sultan Petitions IGP, DSS by ThatFairGuy: 1:34pm On Nov 04, 2020
I'm here to read comments from Hypocrites
Juliusmalema:
Noted

Just noted from a whole you who would have went on rampage if it were to be other way round? Smh

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bishop Onah & Attacks On Muslims In Nsukka: Sultan Petitions IGP, DSS by joseph1832(m): 1:35pm On Nov 04, 2020
naptu2:

Sharia law has been in the constitution since 1960. It is part of customary law.
still buttresses my point. Customary law that is base on a particular religious belief.

Tell me, is Canon law in our Constitution?

61 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Bishop Onah & Attacks On Muslims In Nsukka: Sultan Petitions IGP, DSS by prince2pac(m): 1:37pm On Nov 04, 2020
Bodhidharma
The mind is the root from which all things grow if you can understand the mind, everything else is included.

1 Like

Re: Bishop Onah & Attacks On Muslims In Nsukka: Sultan Petitions IGP, DSS by ImmaculateJOE(m): 1:41pm On Nov 04, 2020
Muslims Mallams has been preaching hatred since I don't know when.., but nobody has dare to arrest them..

"Touch not my anointed and do my prophet no harm".... Nothing should happen to the Bishop.

The Bishop is the equivalent of Prophet Muhammad...

109 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Bishop Onah & Attacks On Muslims In Nsukka: Sultan Petitions IGP, DSS by JoeEeL(m): 1:41pm On Nov 04, 2020
Salty Saltan undecided

I already know that muslims are the biggest hypocrites in the world. They have been killing in Jos, Kaduna and Benue by proxy herdsmen and boko haram, yet no one bashes their religion or their religious leaders to the level they deserve. The fact they speak their Hausa and arabic in their mosques do not prevent us from knowing that they call us sh*t and infidels.

I have listened to that bishop's broadcast and I'm yet to find out what is inciting. He said is it not out of place that Muslims wake up by 4 am disturbing everybody with their useless loudspeaker but if a christian picks up bible and megaphone in the streets of Abuja, he's likely to get attacked or killed. And ain't that true? What is even more annoying is that Abuja is not originally an Islamic stronghold. It's the abode of mainly the Gwari and Kamberi people but now that muslims have dominated the place, you see them acting like idiotts. That's how they were burning the flag of France; you cant help but sense the innate and brainwashed hatred they dispel.

And some foools in the south are still saying 'One Nigeria' angry

Many tribes in North Central like Ju, Takad, Sholio, Gworok are almost going extinct because of these Fulani Jihadist killers, ethnic cleansers and land grabbers. You docile christians should still be saying 'All is well even in the well; or God will take control'. No go gbaradi, awon weyrey. undecided

75 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Bishop Onah & Attacks On Muslims In Nsukka: Sultan Petitions IGP, DSS by Samsimple(m): 1:41pm On Nov 04, 2020
Na wa ohhh. God help us all

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bishop Onah & Attacks On Muslims In Nsukka: Sultan Petitions IGP, DSS by Rebuke: 1:41pm On Nov 04, 2020
Smh. I hate hypocrisy.

The way these guys know how to act victim is just too amazing.

I have watched their MURIC man utter words that shocked me, words that could set the whole nation on fire but has never been called to order.

Christians have been killed up north on numerous times and no one is fingering anyone.

Here they are, wailing over a burnt mosque and already pointing an accusing fingers.

I hate violence and I will never support anyone indulging in one.

I read the narration and I wondered how the twitter man got to be so one sided.

Yhu mean the young man just wanted to have fun beating up the woman?

So, the brother came to rescue his sister from bein beating by the keke rider and overpowered the keke man so much that others started shouting he has been killed by the Hausa man?

Please, respect yhur hosts........learn to live in peace anywhere yhu find yhurself, we own Nigeria together. No one have monopoly over violence.

To my brethren down East, behave yhurseves, don't let yhur action pull people into thinking yhu hate yhur guests......let peace reign.

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bishop Onah & Attacks On Muslims In Nsukka: Sultan Petitions IGP, DSS by Lanretoye(m): 1:42pm On Nov 04, 2020
so IGP now is taking orders from the sultan,bullshit!!!,who was queried over the killings of xtaians over years in the north

47 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bishop Onah & Attacks On Muslims In Nsukka: Sultan Petitions IGP, DSS by parzdor(m): 1:42pm On Nov 04, 2020
wq
Re: Bishop Onah & Attacks On Muslims In Nsukka: Sultan Petitions IGP, DSS by naptu2: 1:42pm On Nov 04, 2020
joseph1832:
still buttresses my point. Customary law that is base on a particular religious belief.

Tell me, is Canon law in our Constitution?

When the British came to Nigeria, they realised that they could not abolish our own native laws (customary law), so they accomodated it with some modifications.

Basically, customary law was reduced to governing issues such as marriage, inheritance, etc. Basically, personal law.

The customs and traditions in most Northern Nigeria at the time the British arrived was based on Sharia Law and so it became the customary law in the north.

There's also customary law in the south, based on things like marriage, inheritance, etc.

However, some northerners have been complaining since the 1960s that you can't separate Sharia Law into personal law and criminal law and that Sharia is one. Therefore, some northern governors introduced Islamic criminal law in the early 2000s. Some say that it is unconstitutional because Sharia was limited to personal law in the constitution.

Canon law was not part of Nigerian tradition and customs when the British arrived.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bishop Onah & Attacks On Muslims In Nsukka: Sultan Petitions IGP, DSS by OgbanjeProphet: 1:42pm On Nov 04, 2020
When churches were burnt and Christians killed in the North, why didn't Sultan and co seek investigation and trials of the masterminds and their culprits

I no blame them.

I blame the cowards that call themselves CHRISTIAN LEADERS.

10 Likes

Re: Bishop Onah & Attacks On Muslims In Nsukka: Sultan Petitions IGP, DSS by gaetano: 1:42pm On Nov 04, 2020
Igbo Muslim grin grin. I can't imagine a chukwuemeka slamming forehead on top colored mat. Seems strange to me grin

But if them give this people chance for South East and South South, they will wake up one day and ban alcohol consumption in the region.

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bishop Onah & Attacks On Muslims In Nsukka: Sultan Petitions IGP, DSS by ivolt: 1:42pm On Nov 04, 2020
Nigerian Taliban in action. Useless cleric inciting members from a church which is supposed to promote peace.

1 Like

Re: Bishop Onah & Attacks On Muslims In Nsukka: Sultan Petitions IGP, DSS by sammysmiles(m): 1:42pm On Nov 04, 2020
Make we hear word abeg... All the Christians been killed in kaduna, have they investigated it

49 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Bishop Onah & Attacks On Muslims In Nsukka: Sultan Petitions IGP, DSS by Rebuke: 1:42pm On Nov 04, 2020
Who do we invistigate over the uncountable attacks on Christians in the north?

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bishop Onah & Attacks On Muslims In Nsukka: Sultan Petitions IGP, DSS by ivolt: 1:43pm On Nov 04, 2020
naptu2:

Let us get something clear. While the cleric is a religious bigot, customary law is not the constitution. It is a great dishonour to have Sharia, a religious law be part of the constitution of a secular republic. An abnormality does not become normal even if it has been the case since the beginning of time.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bishop Onah & Attacks On Muslims In Nsukka: Sultan Petitions IGP, DSS by Mayng01(m): 1:43pm On Nov 04, 2020
G

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

APC Rally In Kaduna: Live Pictures / Uzodimma's Political Opponents Clone Newspaper Headline (Photo) / "Jungle Justice": Buhari's Ballot Box Snatching Warning Got Nigerians Talking

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.