Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,741 members, 7,817,047 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:56 AM

As Nairaland Politics Section Strategizes For Elections - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / As Nairaland Politics Section Strategizes For Elections (1015 Views)

Court: No Troops For Elections / Nairaland Politics Section Hall Of Shame 2012 - Grand Finale / Tunde Bakare inducted into Nairaland Politics Section Of Hall Of Fame 2012 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

As Nairaland Politics Section Strategizes For Elections by Jarus(m): 10:37am On Mar 22, 2011
Dear forum members,

We thank everybody - both the contributors and the inactive watchers - for making this place one of the go-tos for political analysis in Nigeria.
Elections are around the corner, and political activities, and the consequent political discussions, will definitely be at their heights around this period.
We expect high traffic to this place; we expect more people to join this forum in the process of exploring the internet for their political activities; we also expect voluntary and commissioned PR workers of parties and candidates to come to this place to sell their political personalities; the anonymity offered by this forum also presents opportunity for many Nigerians to express themselves on politics Nigeriana. So all in all, this forum needs to be prepared for this surge as it continues to stamp itself as the hub of informal online discussions in Nigeria and beyond.

To this end, we wish to remind respected members of this section that as political talks reach its peak during this period, we should not forget the forum rules, which we agreed to abide by while signing up here.

Within the framework of those rules, we should remind ourselves that in the process of selling our political ideas/personalities or criticizing others', we should not descend to throwing insults, peddling unsubstantiable information with no credible source, multiplying threads etc. You are therefore advised to search or browse through the first few pages to see whether a news has been reported as thread before opening such thread to avoid undue multiplication of threads. If it's same story but different newspaper accounts, just paste your own source's account inside the thread and back it up with your source. You are also free to change the title of a news story to pass your own message while titling a thread, but the title should be supported by the content of the story, if not we will retitle the thread, and if intentionally malicious, the poster risks ban.

We also invite informed analysts to open threads to analyse political situations/trends. On our own part, we will continue to open, in official capacity, general threads on polls, open debates and other interesting analyses to make this section thick during this peak period of politics. But this doesn't preclude us from opening threads, in personal capacity, on our personal political beliefs. We presume forum members are discerning enough to differentiate between personal and official threads/opinion. For instance, telling someone this thread is official, we believe, is spoonfeeding. This we believe is no brainer for nairalanders, whom we believe are educated, no matter the level. But to avoid risk of confusion, we will still expressly state in our threads which ones are personal.

Also, we will welcome hot, on-the-scene reports and photographs during election periods. We will also keep tabs on breaking news. We will be on the alert to send to the front page hot news from time to time. All to ensure we make this place an assured destination for updates in these election period.

While we, once again, assure you of our fairness and level playing ground, irrespective of political persuasion, during this period and forever, we appeal to you to cooperate with us by being rule abiding. The authorities shall not hesitate to punish erring members during this period too.

Don't forget to use the 'report to mod' button or 'Complaints' threads to reach us, should you have any grievance or suggestion to pass across to us.

Regards,
Jarus & Aisha2
For Nairaland
Re: As Nairaland Politics Section Strategizes For Elections by Phate07(m): 11:30am On Mar 22, 2011

Aight! cheesy
Re: As Nairaland Politics Section Strategizes For Elections by Seun(m): 12:35pm On Mar 22, 2011
On our own part, we will continue to open, in official capacity, general threads on polls, open debates and other interesting analyses to make this section thick during this peak period of politics.

I think this should start right away.  Waiting until the last minute is not optimal. wink
Re: As Nairaland Politics Section Strategizes For Elections by Phate07(m): 12:40pm On Mar 22, 2011
Seun:

I think this should start right away.  Waiting until the last minute is not optimal. wink
True.
Re: As Nairaland Politics Section Strategizes For Elections by Jarus(m): 1:01pm On Mar 22, 2011
Seun:

I think this should start right away.  Waiting until the last minute is not optimal. wink
It has started already, boss.

That's why I said 'we will continue to open polls, debates etc'

We'll do more though. wink
Re: As Nairaland Politics Section Strategizes For Elections by EnuguUkwu: 4:46pm On Mar 22, 2011
The report to moderator button is there for fun - the moderators never listen to you when you make a report. This is just there or maybe used to those they favour.

someone opens a thread and uses all possible name to describe the President - "Sagamite"- who knows if he is from Shagamu or if he is a termite self - and as against the rules, if you call a Nairalander a name- you get banned, but this is someone who has used all possible ill names in the dictionary to call people and even the President, but alas - he is among those you cant ban on NL - even when you report to moderator - come on. Just tell the truth moderators - y'all afraid of some people here.
Re: As Nairaland Politics Section Strategizes For Elections by 9ijaMan: 9:28pm On Mar 22, 2011
Good one Jarus. As expected the some GEJ supporters have already started complaining.
Re: As Nairaland Politics Section Strategizes For Elections by Eltonluigi(m): 12:14am On Mar 23, 2011
This election gonna flop;Jega is just running his mouth,INEC ain't prepared as an institution!
Re: As Nairaland Politics Section Strategizes For Elections by Adonike(m): 6:40pm On Mar 23, 2011
I'm proud of Nairaland! Keep it up Jarus!
Re: As Nairaland Politics Section Strategizes For Elections by Odunnu: 9:30pm On Mar 23, 2011
*bookmarked*
Re: As Nairaland Politics Section Strategizes For Elections by Chrisbenogor(m): 9:48pm On Mar 23, 2011
Thank you very much for this thread oga Jarus, I would like us to discuss how we would anchor this election and bring live authentic news to readers. Like the Delta state elections we covered, we have to do better this time around, I think we should spend these few days to think of how to bring the news here without indiscriminate opening of threads and lies with counter lies. I know it would be difficult but we can make it in our own small ways.

First I would like to suggest we look for volunteers in as many local governments as possible, they should be willing to take pictures and videos and post them on you tube for instance. If we get that we can move forward to planning how threads would be formed and how they can be updated with the right content.

Over to you.
Re: As Nairaland Politics Section Strategizes For Elections by xterra2(m): 10:15pm On Mar 23, 2011
[size=15pt]
I didnt read it Jarus
Why would i
Many people wont read it it is too long
Bold the important parts or at least do the summarize
[/size]
Re: As Nairaland Politics Section Strategizes For Elections by EnuguUkwu: 2:51pm On Mar 26, 2011
LOL
Re: As Nairaland Politics Section Strategizes For Elections by Gbenge77(m): 6:43pm On Mar 26, 2011
Fantastic
Re: As Nairaland Politics Section Strategizes For Elections by Gbenge77(m): 6:45pm On Mar 26, 2011
Fantastic!
Re: As Nairaland Politics Section Strategizes For Elections by Areosapien(f): 6:55pm On Mar 27, 2011
This is a nice thread, Jarus. As a suggestion, it would also be cool if you set up a poll a day after the election, like "Who Did You Eventually Vote?"
I just think it would be cool. Come to think of it, similar polls were set up in many American forums, a day after the U.S. Presidential elections of 2008.
Re: As Nairaland Politics Section Strategizes For Elections by Jarus(m): 12:04pm On Mar 28, 2011
Areosapien:

This is a nice thread, Jarus. As a suggestion,[b] it would also be cool if you set up a poll a day after the election, like "Who Did You Eventually Vote?"[/b]I just think it would be cool. Come to think of it, similar polls were set up in many American forums, a day after the U.S. Presidential elections of 2008.
Sure, we have that in the cards.
Re: As Nairaland Politics Section Strategizes For Elections by Jarus(m): 12:07pm On Mar 28, 2011
Mod's Note:

Partisan comments are not welcome on this thread. Go to campaign threads to campaign. Here is discussion on strategy to effectively cover teh elections. I have deleted partisan comments

Thank you for complying.
Re: As Nairaland Politics Section Strategizes For Elections by Jarus(m): 12:13pm On Mar 28, 2011
xterra2:

[size=15pt]
I didnt read it Jarus
Why would i
Many people wont read it it is too long
Bold the important parts or at least do the summarize
[/size]
Summary: We are strategizing on how to effectively cover the forthcoming elections and make NL a go-to for people wanting to know how the election is going/goes/went.
Re: As Nairaland Politics Section Strategizes For Elections by Seun(m): 12:20pm On Mar 28, 2011
Can the threads created by the moderators since the last post be featured on this thread? Thanks.
Re: As Nairaland Politics Section Strategizes For Elections by Jarus(m): 12:35pm On Mar 28, 2011
Seun:

Can the threads created by the moderators since the last post be featured on this thread? Thanks.
Two things. First, I may be wrong, but I don't think it's Mods only that should be creating threads and we even encouraged members to create educative threads on elections. Two, the current political activities centre on presidential debates and parties' final strategies.

This is why it has not occurred to me to create any thread between then and now. Threads on debates opened by other members, like the NN24 and Youth-centred ones, have been rightly stickied(not by me, though but I found it in order), so it didn't occur to me to open a fresh thread on debates.

That is what has happened. I planned to open a new poll, when elections are few days away, when permutations must have changed. Also, threads on on-field activities can only be opened few days or even hours to election for people to post what's happening in their centres.

So I think the bulk of the real job is during election period. I may be wrong.
But notwithstanding I'm challenged by this 'query' to think on other things we can do before elections proper reportage.

Thank you.
Re: As Nairaland Politics Section Strategizes For Elections by Jarus(m): 2:30pm On Mar 28, 2011
INTRODUCING 'WITH MY KOKORO EYES'

Dear Nairalanders,

As we promised in our strategy towards adequately and richly covering the forthcoming elections on Nairaland, we are introducing a thread called 'With my Korokoro eyes'. On this thread, you will be discussing what happened in your polling booths/areas. To give credibility to your report, please endeavour to back them up with pictures where possible. Also, don't forget to mention the area.

We Mods are also on hand to guard the thread, to prevent it from being hijacked.

The thread has been started but will be opened for general discussion a day to election. It will also be stickied immediately. https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-633298.0.html

Be prepared!

Thanks.
Re: As Nairaland Politics Section Strategizes For Elections by AljUche: 5:24pm On Mar 28, 2011
Seun:

Seun I am waiting undecided
Re: As Nairaland Politics Section Strategizes For Elections by mbulela: 8:53pm On Mar 28, 2011
Jarus:

INTRODUCING 'WITH MY KOKORO EYES'

Dear Nairalanders,

As we promised in our strategy towards adequately and richly covering the forthcoming elections on Nairaland, we are introducing a thread called 'With my Korokoro eyes'. On this thread, you will be discussing what happened in your polling booths/areas. To give credibility to your report, please endeavour to back them up with pictures where possible. Also, don't forget to mention the area.

We Mods are also on hand to guard the thread, to prevent it from being hijacked.

The thread has been started but will be opened for general discussion a day to election. It will also be stickied immediately. https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-633298.0.html

Be prepared!

Thanks.
Jarus, i hear we are not allowed to go to the polling booths with cameras.
Re: As Nairaland Politics Section Strategizes For Elections by 9ijaMan: 8:58pm On Mar 28, 2011
mbulela:

That was merely the IG's opinion which he is entitled to. The Inspector General of Police has no right in the Nigerian electoral law to deter anyone from taking cameras and phones to the pollen booths. Only INEC is saddled with such directives. As long as Atahiru Jega's INEC has not made any announcement on the issue, the IG is on his own.
Some info reaching me states that the booths are being planned to be fitted with CCTV cameras. Everyone is enjoined to go to the pollen booth with their cameras and mobile phones to report happenings live!
Re: As Nairaland Politics Section Strategizes For Elections by mbulela: 9:15pm On Mar 28, 2011
^^^
thanks for the update.
getting a bit despondent with this whole arrangement.
i am having a bad feeling about the elections, that it will be more of the same old ------
this might be our last chance for a change from the past.

Jarus, i saw your PM.
no wahala, we are one.
Re: As Nairaland Politics Section Strategizes For Elections by Jarus(m): 9:15pm On Mar 28, 2011
mbulela:

Na so I hear too o. But I assumed things have not become so bad that that will actually happen. I assume the IG will come out to tell us he was misinterpreted or to rescind the order.
Re: As Nairaland Politics Section Strategizes For Elections by Odunnu: 3:31am On Mar 29, 2011
Haba egbon, I already read somewhere that its okay going with phones.
Re: As Nairaland Politics Section Strategizes For Elections by Nobody: 6:54am On Mar 29, 2011
this is a jolly good one Jarus, keep it up.

As for taking cameras or phones, i dont give a hoot what the govt says, if i observe any malpractice at any nearby pooling booth, i will catch it on phone camera.
Re: As Nairaland Politics Section Strategizes For Elections by Nobody: 9:16am On Mar 29, 2011
I think Nairaland can contribute to the success of the forth coming elections if it acts as an online observer, we have members that are scattered all over the country, why don't we all report on the election activities of our various constituencies during the election period, we could post pictures, report happening s and place results counted in our various wards, it might not be broad but i believe it would go a long way in knowing about the happenings on the election days.
Re: As Nairaland Politics Section Strategizes For Elections by Jarus(m): 9:54am On Mar 29, 2011
babasoty:

I think Nairaland can contribute to the success of the forth coming elections if it acts as an online observer, we have members that are scattered all over the country, why don't we all report on the election activities of our various constituencies during the election period, we could post pictures, report happening s and place results counted in our various wards, it might not be broad but i believe it would go a long way in knowing about the happenings on the election days.
That's what we want to tap.

(1) (Reply)

Consolation For Bb Supporters. Pls Read. / Yoruba Community In Delta State Crave Political Integration / Our Next President Fashola Built The Best Airport In West Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.