Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,021 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:56 AM

United States Of Africa (what Ur View) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / United States Of Africa (what Ur View) (3400 Views)

Photo Of Africa And Europe At Night From Space / Niger To Start Repatriating Beggars To Their States Of Origin / Self Determination In Africa - What Makes European Countries So Special? >:( (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

United States Of Africa (what Ur View) by beambally: 11:38am On Jun 30, 2007
some african leaders av been clamouring for a united african states,can i know ur views on diz matter
Re: United States Of Africa (what Ur View) by proverbial: 11:43am On Jun 30, 2007
what's the objective?
or else it's pointless
Re: United States Of Africa (what Ur View) by kokoA(m): 10:21pm On Jun 30, 2007
proverbial:

what's the objective?
or else it's pointless

Actually it is pointless. How can the individual economy of the various countries be harmonised to aid this fusion?
Re: United States Of Africa (what Ur View) by Nobody: 10:26pm On Jun 30, 2007
what have those "clamoring" for a US of Africa done to their own little domains? Most lead nations with NO economy and are merely seeking to reap where they have not sown. Nigeria has enough problems as it is "sharing" oil money, there is no point adding Niger, Chad, Sudan to the equation!
Re: United States Of Africa (what Ur View) by denex: 10:31pm On Jun 30, 2007
@kokoA

you must think the EU is pointless too and not economically harmoniseable. The Union des Nations Afrique (UNA) is very necessary but now is not the time. Maybe by 2025, but not now. Every individual nation has to develope to a certain level before it can be ready. There are less than 10 countries at that desired level right now.

"How good and how pleasant it would be
before God and man
to see the unification of all Africans.
As it's been said already,
so shall it be done.
I'll tell you who we are under the sun.
We are the children of the Higher One.
And we're moving right out of Babylon,
because we're going to our fatherland."

-Robert Marley.
Re: United States Of Africa (what Ur View) by Nobody: 10:38pm On Jun 30, 2007
@ denex,

the comparison with the EU is pointless. You cant compare a nation like Germany or France with Sudan or Rwanda.
We have enough problems with the Niger Delta, i dont think we are prepared to inherit Darfur.

btw still going to respond to ur folly on the Isreal thread. . . too busy to humor u with a reply now.
Re: United States Of Africa (what Ur View) by denex: 10:40pm On Jun 30, 2007
The African Americans will be called back. The migrated Africans will return when they see that Africa has reached the level of infrastructural, social and economic development that they seek abroad. The Jamaicans have always wanted to come back home. The Haitians all of the Caribean will be part of the Union of the Nations of Africa.

The Emperor Haile Selasi started it, Muammar Ghadaffi carried it over and one day it will be real.
Re: United States Of Africa (what Ur View) by kokoA(m): 10:51pm On Jun 30, 2007
I totally agree with denex. But now is not the right time just as he has said.

It is good though that the issue have arisen. ROME WASN'T BUILT IN A DAY.

@ daviddylan

I know Nigerians are naturally proud people but you are taking it to the extreme. Why don't you think of what we can gain as well? There is diamond in Serrialone (permit my spelling) remember? There is gold in Ghana and so on. So why are you scared?
Re: United States Of Africa (what Ur View) by Nobody: 10:53pm On Jun 30, 2007
all those haitians and jamaicans u claim are coming back, what have they done in their countries? Is Haiti better than Nigeria? Are they merely coming back to depend on the government?

Millions of blacks here are completely dependent on government welfare, many see themselves a level above continental africans. They are not likely to want to come back and work with us to build our nation. Liberia is a classic example!
Re: United States Of Africa (what Ur View) by Nobody: 10:54pm On Jun 30, 2007
kokoA:

I know Nigerians are naturally proud people but you are taking it to the extreme. Why don't you think of what we can gain as well? There is diamond in Serrialone (permit my spelling) remember? There is gold in Ghana and so on. So why are you scared?

The same diamonds that plunged Sieraleone and Liberia into 10yr civil wars? The same gold that has ensured that 40% of Ghana's economy is dependent on foreign aid?
Re: United States Of Africa (what Ur View) by kokoA(m): 11:02pm On Jun 30, 2007
davidylan:

The same diamonds that plunged Sieraleone and Liberia into 10yr civil wars? The same gold that has ensured that 40% of Ghana's economy is dependent on foreign aid?

You see, that is the more reason why we have to acquire these countries to teach them how to "make money" out of their resources. What do you think?
Re: United States Of Africa (what Ur View) by Nobody: 11:05pm On Jun 30, 2007
kokoA:

You see, that is the more reason why we have to acquire these countries to teach them how to "make money" out of their resources. What do you think?

Have we made money out of our own resources? We have 3 refineries and yet still depend wholly on imported fuel, 80% of our population lives in relative poverty, rebels are in control of our oil wells and we are the second most corrupt nation on earth.

No sir, we are in no position to teach others how to make money out of their own resources until we teach ourselves first.
Re: United States Of Africa (what Ur View) by kulaShaker(f): 11:09pm On Jun 30, 2007
it will be great smiley
Re: United States Of Africa (what Ur View) by kokoA(m): 11:22pm On Jun 30, 2007
@ daviddylan

I see your point actually, but to an extent we have tried to make proper use of ours before now. Why not see it this way, South africa is good in management (that's their stronghold), we have ours to and so do other countries. Don't you think that our corruption can be cancelled out by south Africa's proper way of managerial skills for instance and so on. Complementing each other is what am driving at. What do you think?
Re: United States Of Africa (what Ur View) by kokoA(m): 11:23pm On Jun 30, 2007
@ daviddylan

I see your point actually, but to an extent we have tried to make proper use of ours before now. Why not see it this way, South africa is good in management (that's their stronghold), we have ours to and so do other countries. Don't you think that our corruption can be cancelled out by south Africa's proper managerial skills for instance and so on. Complementing each other is what am driving at. What do you think?
Re: United States Of Africa (what Ur View) by Nobody: 11:39pm On Jun 30, 2007
no Koko-A, what we would see in essence is uncontrolled migration of desperately poor Sudanese, Chadians, Malians, Zimbabweans, Nigeriens e.t.c. into "rich" countries like Nigeria and southAfrica. In essence we will end up completely overwhelmed.

If our oil money cannot guarantee an acceptable standard of living for 150million Nigerians, neither will it be enough for the entire Africa.

We have only over 100 ethnic groups in Nigeria and we can hardly keep the peace, adding more from Rwanda, Angola and Burundi is a recipe for disaster.
Re: United States Of Africa (what Ur View) by kokoA(m): 11:48pm On Jun 30, 2007
@ davidylan

That is true, but ain't you scared that there could be treats of massive migration or even nuclear attacks (from smaller countries) if only naija and SA keep developin leaving them behind? You know africans get "bad belle" well well and these guys kill for fun in their poor countries.
Re: United States Of Africa (what Ur View) by Nobody: 12:01am On Jul 01, 2007
kokoA:

@ davidylan

That is true, but ain't you scared that there could be treats of massive migration or even nuclear attacks (from smaller countries) if only naija and SA keep developin leaving them behind? You know africans get "bad belle" well well and these guys kill for fun in their poor countries.

What massive migration? Unless we no longer have a border patrol.

Nuclear attacks from Burundi or Niger? Because we are developing and leaving them behind? shocked Is there a law that states that all countries are not allowed to develop until others are doing so at the same pace? Why have those same countries not started attacking the US and Europe afterall they have already left us behind?
Re: United States Of Africa (what Ur View) by Iman3(m): 12:04am On Jul 01, 2007
Nuclear attacks? Let Nigeria develop first before we can start worrying about Niger or Benin Republic declaring nuclear war on us.
Re: United States Of Africa (what Ur View) by kokoA(m): 12:11am On Jul 01, 2007
@davidlyn

I agree with all your points though. So you think united state of Africa is just a mirage or should be done when the time is right? I still feel it is necessary but in like 25 year time sha.
Re: United States Of Africa (what Ur View) by GNature(m): 12:12am On Jul 01, 2007
Africa is too large to ever be a single country. I'm not sure if the proponents of this idea have seriously thought it through.
Re: United States Of Africa (what Ur View) by Nobody: 12:17am On Jul 01, 2007
Like GNature said, a US of Africa is too large and too complex to work even in 100 yrs time.
Nigeria alone has more than 100 different cultures and languages and we are still fighting with religious riots, ethnic clashes, we still have issues with zoning. Merging us with other countries will only exacerbate the existiing problems.

Europe did not merge in 1940, they waited until they were economically strong enough to do so. Even now membership of the EU is not automatic but is conditioned on certain political reforms and on meeting some economic criteria.
Re: United States Of Africa (what Ur View) by Ikomi(m): 12:22am On Jul 01, 2007
Why dont we all wait till AU can carry its own weight in peace keeping, giving aid to other african nations in terms of drugs and food, before we start thinking of a United States of Africa. But with this all been said there is no harm in making a representation of the vision on paper. Afterall the EU was born long ago even before it was achievable.
Re: United States Of Africa (what Ur View) by kokoA(m): 12:25am On Jul 01, 2007
@ david

Am glad that you agreed is feasible in years to come. We will get there.

@Gnature

I don't agree with you concerning the size. See, the system of government will not be the normal presidential system. They leaders at that time will work out a proper style of governance for the great UNITED AFRICAN STATES.

So what do you guys think of the present moves to harmonize the west african currencies?
Re: United States Of Africa (what Ur View) by kokoA(m): 12:27am On Jul 01, 2007
Ikomi:

Why don't we all wait till AU can carry its own weight in peace keeping, giving aid to other african nations in terms of drugs and food, before we start thinking of a United States of Africa. But with this all been said there is no harm in making a representation of the vision on paper. Afterall the EU was born long ago even before it was achievable.

true talk. That means we are all united in thoughts.
Re: United States Of Africa (what Ur View) by Nobody: 12:43am On Jul 01, 2007
kokoA:

@ david

Am glad that you agreed is feasible in years to come. We will get there.

at this rate not in your lifetime. grin

kokoA:

So what do you guys think of the present moves to harmonize the west african currencies?

How does this take into account the wide disparity in economies of the west african states? For instance
$1 = Ghanain Cedi 9,267.3
Re: United States Of Africa (what Ur View) by denex: 12:46am On Jul 01, 2007
Let the Haitians and the Jamaicans come and depend on us. Africa is not about what we can get from you. It is home.

Every government in Africa is working fervently towards the realization of the Union of the Nations of Africa. They've just been putting things undercover so that no one will come and disturb the plan. The diaspora complex being built in Abuja, you think it's for fancy?

You guys shouldn't worry your heads. When the EU was first conceived of, some European countries laughed. Today those countries are part of the EU.
Re: United States Of Africa (what Ur View) by GNature(m): 12:46am On Jul 01, 2007
@kokoA

What kind of system of government is going to make the 100's (actually 1000's)  of cultures live under a uniform african-wide government ?

We are yet to remedy the Nigerian experiment with about 100 tribes

In central africa, you have hundreds of thousands of people that died as a result of ethnic cleansing

Look at the situation in Darfur, Sudan.

And the next thing on your mind is for all these individual states to team up and form a single country ? If anything, many african countries should split further into smaller countries like Ethiopia and Eritrea did. When these smaller "entities" get their stuff together, perhaps, we can entertain the thought of a single african state.

A child must learn how to crawl before he learns how to walk.
Re: United States Of Africa (what Ur View) by Nobody: 12:49am On Jul 01, 2007
@ denex, please refer to GNature's last post above.
Re: United States Of Africa (what Ur View) by denex: 12:49am On Jul 01, 2007
AFRICAN DREAM

I dream of you and me
Living our lives free
I dream a day the streets are clean
No drugs, No guns
It's a world that I dream

I dream of our kids
Back to living the extended family
Rising, living to win
I dream our herbs heal every sick
No more grief, no disease
Thats' the life that I see

I dream of my brothers
Long lost in the Diaspora
America, Europe and the Caribbean
I miss you African soldiers
I keep waiting, searching for you
'cos in my dream we're together.

I dream of elevation
Time for the African Union
One mother nation
I dream us back in our rightful position
We're all a part, we all should strive
Bring this dream alive.
Re: United States Of Africa (what Ur View) by Nobody: 12:50am On Jul 01, 2007
Nigeria is still crawling at 47 and we are dreaming of a united africa. Long may our dream continue.
Re: United States Of Africa (what Ur View) by kokoA(m): 12:57am On Jul 01, 2007
davidylan:

Nigeria is still crawling at 47 and we are dreaming of a united africa. Long may our dream continue.
[/quot

Tell us what America was doing when they were 47. I guess they were still sucking their mother's breast, at least we are crawling. Isn't that progress?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Jonathan Advised To Appoint Yerima As Religion Adviser / BREAKING NEWS: South Carolina Sheriff Refuses To Lower Flag For Nelson Mandela / The Politcal Transformation Of Afam4eva Yesterday And Today In His Own Words.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.