Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,128 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:49 PM

Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas (7740 Views)

Unforgettable Sights At The 2015 Presidential Inauguration / Rights Group Stop Buhari's Planned Visit To UK, Sights Human Rights Violations. / Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by EzeUche2(m): 4:11pm On Mar 25, 2011
Nigeria sets sights on natural gas

ABUJA, Nigeria, March 25 (UPI) -- Foreign investments of around $25 billion in Nigeria will boost the country's natural gas sector under plans outlined by the country's president.

A cornerstone of the investment plans is a $3 billion deal between Italian energy company Eni and Nigeria's Oando to process gas from the Niger Delta, said Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan.

Nigeria, to increase domestic supplies, aims to end the practice of flaring off gas from oil fields. The gas processing plant in the Niger Delta could be online as early as 2012, though foreign oil companies working in Nigeria said 2013 is a more realistic date for the halt to gas flaring.

Nevertheless, Jonathan said his country was positioning itself as a major gas state.

"It is our expectation that by 2013, we would have positioned Nigeria as the regional hub for gas-based industries of fertilizers, petrochemicals and methanol," he was quoted by the Platts news service as saying.

British energy company BP estimates Nigeria as of 2009 held around 185 trillion cubic feet of gas. Jonathon said there is an undiscovered potential of nearly 600 tcf.

Nigeria is set for presidential elections April 9.

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Science_News/Resource-Wars/2011/03/25/Nigeria-sets-sights-on-natural-gas/UPI-54701301055894/#ixzz1Hcm7lOEr
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by EzeUche2(m): 4:12pm On Mar 25, 2011
I guess the Natural Gas found in the South-West will finally be tapped into. cool

One Naija!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by Jen33(m): 4:16pm On Mar 25, 2011
Nigeria targets 600,000 jobs as N15tr gas projects begin – The Guardian

NIGERIA’S march towards getting into the bracket of top global economic powers got a boost yesterday as President Goodluck Jonathan launched a gas-driven economic roadmap.

The ambitious plan, code-named “Gas Revolution: Rebirth of Nigeria’s industrialisation,” was also used as an occasion for the signing of the Memoranda of Understanding (MoU) among the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC), Xenel of Saudi Arabia for the construction of a petrochemical plant, and Nagarjuna of India for the setting up of two fertiliser plants.

At the event, Jonathan said Nigeria no longer has any excuse for the absence of productive industries and the high rate of unemployment considering its enormous proven gas reserves put at 187 trillion cubic feet (tcf).

“Today (yesterday), we take a small but important step in a conscious effort to reverse that trend. This marks the beginning of what I believe will be an amazing journey of transformation of our own destiny and the restoration of Nigeria into the league of nations, which has leveraged its strength in the abundance of natural gas to transform the lives of present and future generations,” he said.

http://nigerianbulletin.com/2011/03/25/nigeria-targets-600000-jobs-as-n15tr-gas-projects-begin-the-guardian/

cool
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by Jen33(m): 4:21pm On Mar 25, 2011
Is Buhari even aware of the potential benefits from natural gas, never mind formulating a coherent policy framework on it?
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by EzeUche2(m): 4:26pm On Mar 25, 2011
Jen33:

Is Buhari even aware of the potential benefits from natural gas, never mind formulating a coherent policy framework on it?

Buhari only knows one thing and that is imprisoning people. It is much more to governance, than being tyrannical.
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by ektbear: 4:53pm On Mar 25, 2011
SW likely has NG off the coast of Lagos, but I don't think we have that much onshore. . . ?

I thought most of it is in the ND.
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by Kilode1: 5:00pm On Mar 25, 2011
^^ you may be wrong and Mazi EzeUche right, The coast of Ondo and Ogun has plenty of it.

http://www.downstreamtoday.com/projects/project.aspx?project_id=76

Chevron is already there, seems they are smiling too.

http://www.chevron.com/chevron/pressreleases/article/01132005_chevrontexacoandotherstostudypotentiallngfacilityinnigeria.news

Ilajes taxing too: http://www.allwestafrica.com/010320118631.html
cool
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by ektbear: 5:08pm On Mar 25, 2011
^-- I'm glad to be wrong in this case.

Hrm, now trying to find out how much gas is there. . .

EDIT: Seems like a lot, from your above links. Hopefully this means that powering the SW won't require any gas from the Niger Delta.
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by Gbawe: 5:15pm On Mar 25, 2011
EzeUche_:

Buhari only knows one thing and that is imprisoning people. It is much more to governance, than being tyrannical.

Jen33:

I can only blame the comedy of absurdities Nigeria is for how you both try to attacking Buhari for nothing other than the fact you support GEJ . When supposedly well-educated folks , who should be aware of their civic responsibilities, can hold brief for a man who has shown , beyond doubt , he is mediocre , a purveyor of empty promises and a failure then perhaps we should all accept the Country we have and recognise our individual roles for where we find ourselves. I doubt anyone on this forum , if they are honest , can say Buhari will partake in the shameless opportunism and politics of expediency Jonathan is now famous for.

Say what you will about Buhari but the truth is that , without doubt , the man will appoint round pegs to round holes and enable them deliver , unhindered , for Nigerians . That is the most important quality we want from our next President not empty promises that can never be actualised going from the actions , on the ground, of the insincere man making the pledges. We don't need Einstien as our President . We just need a man of integrity who will appoint the many committed Einsteins needed for various important office. You fans of Jonathan should be ashamed that all Jonathan does is talk yet when he has had the chance he has not delivered  to date .

Look at all his appointments to very important office . Ringim as IGP and Adoke as AGF/Minister of Justice  shocked shocked shocked Despite Waziri being discredited and shunned like a leper , while Ribadu was embraced and celebrated wordlwide, Jonathan keeps her in charge of the EFCC to the chagrin of Nigerians and the entire world . The woman has been exposed as abetting corruption with solid evidence . Jonathan has removed an ICPC boss working well for a "physically and mentally" lazy stooge chosen by Patience Jonathan because she is "one of us" (from the Niger Delta).  

How is Jonathan going to deliver anything with the crooks and compromised appointees he deliberately employs who lack uprightness and integrity? In case you folks don't know it , the right Nigerian President , for our current situation, is not required to be a braniac .  The Nigerian President we need today , above everything else , is the man who can appoint our brightest and most talented folks , based on merit alone , and  , with unshakeable political will, implement completely the suggestions of these men and women which , no doubt , will clash with the interest of the "business as usual" "owners-of-Nigeria" who are happy for Nigeria to remain as it is. Those deleterious and harmful "owners-of-Nigeria" are Jonathan's friends and his appointment confirm it so you folks should save your noise.
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by ektbear: 5:17pm On Mar 25, 2011
Hrm. Can someone who knows the oil and gas business provide estimates of how much of Nigeria's reserves are located in each region? SW, SS, and SE?
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by Kilode1: 5:21pm On Mar 25, 2011
ekt_bear:

Hrm. Can someone who knows the oil and gas business provide estimates of how much of Nigeria's reserves are located in each region? SW, SS, and SE?
ekt_bear:

EDIT: Seems like a lot, from your above links. Hopefully this means that powering the SW won't require any gas from the Niger Delta.

Check this and be glad you are Odu'a Tokan Tokan cool http://www.kpmg.com/Global/en/WhoWeAre/Documents/Ondo-State-Nigeria.pdf

Natural gas is the energy resource of the immediate future. I think Chevron needs some competition in Ondo State.

Gas reserve seems massive, but still looking for non-commercial source verification.
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by EzeUche2(m): 5:27pm On Mar 25, 2011
ekt_bear:

Don't you mean powering all of Nigeria? One Nigeria remember, it is time to tap into those natural gas deposits found in your region. cool
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by wesley80(m): 5:38pm On Mar 25, 2011
Gbawe:

I can only blame the comedy of absurdities Nigeria is for how you both try to attacking Buhari for nothing other than the fact you support GEJ . When supposedly well-educated folks , who should be aware of their civic responsibilities, can hold brief for a man who has shown , beyond doubt , he is mediocre , a purveyor of empty promises and a failure then perhaps we should all accept the Country we have and recognise our individual roles for where we find ourselves. I doubt anyone on this forum , if they are honest , can say Buhari will partake in the shameless opportunism and politics of expediency Jonathan is now famous for.

Say what you will about Buhari but the truth is that , without doubt , the man will appoint round pegs to round holes and enable them deliver , unhindered , for Nigerians . That is the most important quality we want from our next President not empty promises that can never be actualised going from the actions , on the ground, of the insincere man making the pledges. We don't need Einstien as our President . We just need a man of integrity who will appoint the many committed Einsteins needed for various important office. You fans of Jonathan should be ashamed that all Jonathan does is talk yet when he has had the chance he has not delivered  to date .

Look at all his appointments to very important office . Ringim as IGP and Adoke as AGF/Minister of Justice  shocked shocked shocked Despite Waziri being discredited and shunned like a leper , while Ribadu was embraced and celebrated wordlwide, Jonathan keeps her in charge of the EFCC to the chagrin of Nigerians and the entire world . The woman has been exposed as abetting corruption with solid evidence . Jonathan has removed an ICPC boss working well for a "physically and mentally" lazy stooge chosen by Patience Jonathan because she is "one of us" (from the Niger Delta).  

How is Jonathan going to deliver anything with the crooks and compromised appointees he deliberately employs who lack uprightness and integrity? In case you folks don't know it , A Nigerian President , for our current situation, is not required to be a braniac .  The Nigerian President we need today , above everything else , is the man who can appoint our brightest and most talented folks , based on merit alone , and  , with unshakeable political will, implement completely the suggestions of these men and women which , no doubt , will clash with the interest of the "business as usual" "owners-of-Nigeria" who are happy for Nigeria to remain as it is. Those deleterious and harmful "owners-of-Nigeria" are Jonathan's friends and his appointment confirm it so you folks should save your noise.

Veryyyyyyy longgg yawn,Lets talk GAS plsssssss, u no dey tire for all these kind dry propaganda talk sef? And u ask yourself why Gej is a breath of Fresh Air?
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by EnuguUkwu: 5:39pm On Mar 25, 2011
ACN wants to use coal. Te hehehe.
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by hercules07: 5:45pm On Mar 25, 2011
As per Buhari's economic plan, please read Sanusi's writeup on Buhari's economic policy when he was the President, are you telling me that it is GEJ formulating all these things, we know the guy is just nodding his head to every suggestion made to him.
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by ektbear: 5:46pm On Mar 25, 2011
@Kilode?!: Thanks for the link, that was informative. Still trying to track down the gas reserves though.

Hrm:

Nigeria's oil reserves are 36.2 billion barrels, according to Wikipedia. Looks like the reserves in Ilaje and Ese-Odo are nearly 10% of that? And it produces 250k+ barrels of oil a day right now. ,  street value of $25 million/day.

In my opinion:
1) Oil reserves of 4 billion barrels+
2) Bitumen reserves of 42 billion+, entirely unexploited (not as profitable as oil, but still some money there)
3) Whatever gas exists, probably something enormous
4) Best port city in all of West Africa
5) Largest city in in Sub-saharan Africa
6) Diaspora with money and technical know-how
7) Lots of farmland

This sounds like all the ingredients necessary for a very strong economy. I cannot think of anything missing. Large gas reserves + excellent port => competitive advantage in manufacturing and export.

Very interesting stuff.
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by Gbawe: 5:49pm On Mar 25, 2011
wesley80:

Veryyyyyyy longgg yawn,Lets talk GAS plsssssss, u no dey tire for all these kind dry propaganda talk sef? And u ask yourself why Gej is a breath of Fresh Air?

Keep talking Gas and keep working yourself up excitedly over anything else Jonathan utters from his insincere mouth. It only confirms that some Nigerians are premature ejaculators with memory deficits. We can discuss laudable plans all day but all our discussion will all amount to zero without political will from our leaders. Any Nigerian above the age of 20 knows that our leaders are not short of 'world domination' plans that never amount to anything.

By the way , why did you not "talk gas"? Did you only join this thread because I pounced on an opportunity to expose your decietful, opportunistic and desperate Idol?
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by ektbear: 5:57pm On Mar 25, 2011
Anyway, let no man ever say again that Yorubaland is mooching from the rest of Nigeria (the SS in particular).

Honestly, from all the silly propoganda I read on this site, I thought the oil reserves in Ondo were like 1% of Nigeria's total. . . not a whole 10%!

And that is oil alone, not to talk of natural gas.

Any of ya'll who want fiscal federalism. . . absolutely fine by me cool
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by Kilode1: 6:03pm On Mar 25, 2011
ekt_bear:

@Kilode?!: Thanks for the link, that was informative. Still trying to track down the gas reserves though.

Hrm:

Nigeria's oil reserves are 36.2 billion barrels, according to Wikipedia. Looks like the reserves in Ilaje and Ese-Odo are nearly 10% of that? And it produces 250k+ barrels of oil a day right now. ,  street value of $25 million/day.

In my opinion:
1) Oil reserves of 4 billion barrels+
2) Bitumen reserves of 42 billion+, entirely unexploited (not as profitable as oil, but still some money there)
3) Whatever gas exists, probably something enormous
4) Best port city in all of West Africa
5) Largest city in in Sub-saharan Africa
6) Diaspora with money and technical know-how
7) Lots of farmland

This sounds like all the ingredients necessary for a very strong economy. I cannot think of anything missing. Large gas reserves + excellent port => competitive advantage in manufacturing and export.

Very interesting stuff.

Yea very interesting. We need to resist any further creation of SW states though, dunno why Ekiti left that state undecided  I wish i was there to slap sense into them.

Anyway,  Odu'a stick together. There is hope for Nigeria. SW , SE , SS, NO if we can get the politics right.
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by Nobody: 6:09pm On Mar 25, 2011
EzeUche_:

I guess the Natural Gas found in the South-West will finally be tapped into. cool

One Naija!

What natural gas are you talking about?
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by jason123: 6:11pm On Mar 25, 2011
ekt_bear:

Anyway, let no man ever say again that Yorubaland is mooching from the rest of Nigeria (the SS in particular).

Honestly, from all the silly propoganda I read on this site, I thought the oil reserves in Ondo were like 1% of Nigeria's total. . . not a whole 10%!

Are you minding some people?? I will not be surprised if the North has MORE oil than the whole of SS. I hate when people use resuources to show off or threaten the country. That is why I laugh when people say, if we leave Nigeria will die as if these people did not suvive and became proerous without oil.
In Nigeria, NO ONE is a parasite! Now, to add to your info, do you know that the SW does not only have NG and Oil but Gold, bitumen and other resources. The yorubas are always for resource control and federalism. They hate people ruling them! This is just to give you some info. cool
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by wesley80(m): 6:16pm On Mar 25, 2011
@Gbawe
I didnt 'talk gas' cos unlike u i dont claim to be an expert in every field with insight into every topic. I was actually enjoying an enlightening conversation until u jumped in with your now familiar Puritanical sermon.
BTW, Every Nigerian above 10 can zero in on corruption and a lack of political will as the bane of our development so please stop thinking yourself a Genius for restating the obvious simply cos u garnished it with your Buhari sermon.
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by ektbear: 6:16pm On Mar 25, 2011
Kilode?!:

Yea very interesting. We need to resist any further creation of SW states though, dunno why Ekiti left that state undecided
A pretty moronic move, in retrospect. Oh well. Ekiti shall survive and prosper. Fayemi is making some mistakes here and there, but is overall doing well (in my opinion.)

Anyway,  Odu'a stick together. There is hope for Nigeria. SW , SE , SS, NO if we can get the politics right.  
Well said.
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by step1: 6:18pm On Mar 25, 2011
ekt_bear:

I do not mean to interupt your discussion but it is very sad to see how people bring out propaganda about Yoruba's being the parasite of this country. In Lagos alone, there are a lot of oil reserve from the lagoon to the Atlantic ocean.
Needless to say, I am a proud Yoruba tokan tokan and I thank my God for making me Yoruba man in a country like Nigeria.

The Yoruba council of elders and Awori union have made an agreement with the federal government to have only 1 oil drilling company at a time in Lagos. This is to ensure that there will not be any environmental disaster in the region especially Lagos as it is home for all Yoruba's.

The revenue Lagos gets is mainly from the tax of sure oil companies and also from other big companies like dangote and Globacom etc. This lies about igbos tax is xx% is so insignificant to what this companies and Aso oke sellers give. I would give an estimate of 2% maximum of the total tax is gotten from igbo people in lagos but that is another discussion.

Dapo I do not know if u are in Nigeria, but know that your people are God blessed and do not depend on the federal government for any assistance. The money Lagos generate alone is enough to fund the whole South-west region's election as you see from ACN.

I really do not know much about Ondo.
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by PhysicsMHD(m): 6:19pm On Mar 25, 2011
jason123:

Are you minding some people?? I will not be surprised if the North has MORE oil than the whole of SS.

Nonsense.
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by EzeUche2(m): 6:19pm On Mar 25, 2011
All regions shall be exploited EQUALLY.  cool

One Nigeria!
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by jason123: 6:24pm On Mar 25, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

Nonsense.

It might not be nonsense because of the large expanse of land and if oil can be found in countries like Libya and Saudi Arabia , then oil might just be in the North but not exploited. It is a possibility.
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by EzeUche2(m): 6:26pm On Mar 25, 2011
jason123:

It might not be nonsense because of the large expanse of land and if oil can be found in countries like Libya and Saudi Arabia , then oil might just be in the North but not exploited. It is a possibility.

They have drilled everywhere. The most likely area where oil could possible be located in the North is near the Chad basin. If oil is present in Chad, I am pretty sure oil is present in North-Eastern Nigeria.

However, have you heard of any oil being found in Niger or Northern Benin?
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by ektbear: 6:27pm On Mar 25, 2011
@step1: Thanks for the information. Much appreciated.

You are right, God has blessed Yorubaland heavily.
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by EzeUche2(m): 6:28pm On Mar 25, 2011
^^^

And all of Nigeria shall benefit. Fair enough? cool
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by Nobody: 6:29pm On Mar 25, 2011
Jason, I doubt oil in economic amounts in the North of Nigeria, Saudi / Libya oil is offshore. Chad basin and maybe some parts of Benue basin possibly
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by jason123: 6:31pm On Mar 25, 2011
EzeUche_:

They have drill everywhere. The most likely area where oil could possible be located in the North is near the Chad basin. If oil is present in Chad, I am pretty sure oil is present in North-Eastern Nigeria.

However, have you heard of any oil being found in Niger or Northern Benin?

Niger: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7434092.stm
I still believe there is a possibility, no matter how remote it might seem. cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How Buhari Ran PTF; Full Article - Newswatch (photo) / Lagos Deserves Continuity Says Gov Ambode / INEC May Not Make NIN Compulsory For Voter Registration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.