Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,175 members, 7,839,005 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 12:23 PM

Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas (7763 Views)

Unforgettable Sights At The 2015 Presidential Inauguration / Rights Group Stop Buhari's Planned Visit To UK, Sights Human Rights Violations. / Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by Afam4eva(m): 3:12am On Mar 26, 2011
ekt_bear:

Trading in basic commodities isn't going to be very profitable. . . meat, tomato, simply too widely available. Unless you are the guy who imports from the north and ships to the south.

Regarding the latter comment, maybe, I dunno. I certainly don't see ya'll doing anything better than us here in the US. But perhaps things are different in naija.
I don't have that attitude towards factory jobs. Personally I think they are kind of 'noble', somehow. I dunno. Maybe I'm romanticizing 'em because of the impact I know they had in the US and in China.

Pls can you expantiate on the bolded.
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by sbeezy8: 3:13am On Mar 26, 2011
afam4eva:

It's very important for south-westreners to go to school because that kinda seems like the only way they can make a livelihood. But for the Igbos it's a two way street. Whether you go school abi you no go you can still make it in life and big time for that matter.

And who says south-westerners don't trade. So according to you every south-westerner is thinking corporate including the Tomato and pepper sellers, The meat sellers. Pls guy be real. Everyone trades the only difference is that the Igbo people are better at it and do it at the highest level.

of course not all but most
pepper seller is temporary AGRICULTURE is what I want to do also but from a corporate aspect as well with meat seller. so I can give some farmers some jobs and put these cattle rearers out of business.
imagine

[img]http://www.wickedreport.com/images/CowPower_02.jpg
[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/4/4457856_6de6ac4dcb.jpg

fulani will HATE THEMSELVES AFTER THIS TAKE OVER SW AND NIGERIA LOL
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by sbeezy8: 3:17am On Mar 26, 2011
ekt_bear:

Trading in basic commodities isn't going to be very profitable. . . meat, tomato, simply too widely available. Unless you are the guy who imports from the north and ships to the south.

Regarding the latter comment, maybe, I dunno. I certainly don't see ya'll doing anything better than us here in the US. But perhaps things are different in naija.
I don't have that attitude towards factory jobs. Personally I think they are kind of 'noble', somehow. I dunno. Maybe I'm romanticizing 'em because of the impact I know they had in the US and in China.

I dont look at factory workers in a negative aspect, I look at it from job creation and a starting point for anyone.
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by ektbear: 3:22am On Mar 26, 2011
@afam4eva: I've been to a few different business related conferences over the past couple months. I sort of tracked a bit the Nigerians in the audience (from their nametags.) The guys working at Goldman, Morgan Stanley, small boutique finance firms, etc. From the sample i saw, the advantage was ours.

There are also some lists of US national fellowships. There is one of them called the NSF where they publish the list of names. A few years ago, I did a quick count of names (I looked at a couple thousand names for that year.) The #s were relatively even. Here is a link to the site:

https://www.fastlane.nsf.gov/grfp/AwardeeList.do?method=loadAwardeeList

You can download the list of winners for say 2010 as an excel file, go ahead and count names (if you have some time on your hands.) You can also look at the honorable mention list too, also count names.

And I'd imagine that there are more Igbos in the US than Yoruba. . . so if we are matching or exceeding your #s in these areas, then I don't see what the hubbub is about.
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by Afam4eva(m): 3:26am On Mar 26, 2011
ekt_bear:

@afam4eva: I've been to a few different business related conferences over the past couple months. I sort of tracked a bit the Nigerians in the audience (from their nametags.) The guys working at Goldman, Morgan Stanley, small boutique finance firms, etc. From the sample i saw, the advantage was ours.

There are also some lists of US national fellowships. There is one of them called the NSF where they publish the list of names. A few years ago, I did a quick count of names (I looked at a couple thousand names for that year.) The #s were relatively even. Here is a link to the site:

https://www.fastlane.nsf.gov/grfp/AwardeeList.do?method=loadAwardeeList

You can download the list of winners for say 2010 as an excel file, go ahead and count names (if you have some time on your hands.) You can also look at the honorable mention list too, also count names.

And I'd imagine that there are more Igbos in the US than Yoruba. . . so if we are matching or exceeding your #s in these areas, then I don't see what the hubbub is about.

So because of a business conference you attended where instead of participating fully you were busy counting people with yoruba names you jumped into conclusion that there are more yoruba business people than Igbo business people in America.
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by ektbear: 3:31am On Mar 26, 2011
afam4eva:

I guess they a re all traders
Heh, in a different sense than the 'trader' you know of. Though if you think about it, they are kind of doing the same things.

and they own those companies too.
Most of these are young guys/gals relatively early in their careers. Probably not feasible to own Morgan Stanley (or even have a large share of it) by age 28 or 29, lol

Anyway, long story short. . . you'll have to find someone else to sell your story/hypothesis to. I ain't buying.
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by EzeUche2(m): 3:36am On Mar 26, 2011
Please. I have seen many Igbos in the corporate world in the United States. My cousin works for Goldman Sachs as a financial analyst and I am an intern at investment banking firm in Washington DC. So please do not tell me Igbos are not in the Corporate world. Remember there are more Igbos in the United States than Yorubas.
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by AljUche: 3:52am On Mar 26, 2011
EzeUche_:

Please. I have seen many Igbos in the corporate world in the United States. My cousin works for Goldman Sachs as a financial analyst and I am an intern at investment banking firm in Washington DC. So please do not tell me Igbos are not in the Corporate world. Remember there are more Igbos in the United States than Yorubas.

wrong wrong wrong

where did you get that from undecided
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by EzeUche2(m): 3:55am On Mar 26, 2011
Alj Uche:

wrong wrong wrong

where did you get that from undecided

Igbos have been coming to the United States since the 30s and 40s. Yoruba chose to go to the UK. This is common knowledge. I know Igbos who have been here for 3 generations.
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by MeGaStReEt: 5:11am On Mar 26, 2011
Kudos to GEJ and his team
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by jposuagwu: 8:05am On Mar 26, 2011
I pity all the blind supporters of Jonathan. That he launched Gas master plan does it mean its his brain child? Any govt can buy into any laudable programme moreso, when it has inherent economic benefit. The point is that with the economic benefit accruing from such programmes, what becomes of the proceeds accruing therefrom? Afterall, Nigeria has been raking billions of dollars daily from oil over the years, where is the money? Where is the impact in Nigeria? A corrupt govt can never manage such benefits well just like in the past. Jonathan cannot. Buhari will surely do. Jonathan is the father of compromises. Such a man is dangerous and unreliable. We need leaders who will not only harness resources but also and importantly manage the resources for the benefit of all in country. I think Buhari is the right man. He has been tested to be enemey of corruption while Jonathan is friend of corruption. If you are in doubt ask what Waziri is doing in EFCC, Adoke as Attorney General of the federation, Ringim as IG of police. These are key institutions that should fight corruption but have been rendered impotent with the kind of castrated people heading them. Nigerians vote wisely. Vote Buhare/Bakare.
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by MeGaStReEt: 11:24am On Mar 26, 2011
jposuagwu:

I pity all the blind supporters of Jonathan.

I pity for you too, you are not only blind, but daft consummate simpleton. If its something bad, you will come here and start attacking GEJ, but if its goodnews, you lot will start giving credit to dead Yar'Adua., now tell me thats not the hight of st.pidity. Buhari is a confused fellow, he does not even know what the problem is, let alone finding solution, and you want us to vote for such clueless man. I am not going to tell anybody who to vote for, but I can tell you that Buhari and Ribadu dont have anything to offer this country, not that they are going to win anyways
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by renewnaija(m): 12:04pm On Mar 26, 2011
That Igbos are the most industrious, well travelled and versatile Nigerians is not new. From my travels round Nigeria (& believe me when I say I have travelled wella) the Yorubas are the least versatile. They do not see themselves aclimatizing to other parts of the country if the need arises. But thats not the issue. We are afterall one Nigeria so it does not matter.

One interesting comment by Gbawe was that Nigeria does not need a genius. We just need someone who can put round pegs in round holes. I absolutely agree with you and of all the candidates that can do this, it is sad to say that it is Buhari even with his tribalist tendencies and him being an old school leader. The rest of them dont have the balls that come with the job. Nigeria gets worse everyday and PDP has shown that they'd rather encourage corruption & let the money flow than curb it & get things done. All these flurry of promises and policies, so funny and its for those who havent witnessed campaigns before elections before in Nigeria by incumbents,

Duke in Cross River State was not a genius but he knew what needed to be done and did it making tonnes of political enemies in the state. I was there live to witness deaths and bloodshed during his tenure yet Calabar today is getting praise from people everywhere that dont know what pains it took to achieve all those. The present governor is like GEJ, he believes in pacifying the political lot rather than improving the state so maybe he can continue power. He is docile like GEJ and I am really sad. A man acts to dictate the flow, a boy watches not comprehending issues around him.

If anyone deserved a third term it was Duke. He ruled with steel fist & gored many oxes without mercy. If you are not aware, he had more enemies than friends during his tenure but years afterwards we know he improved the state.

We really want change but we need a leader who may be imperfect but will carry out radical change to achieve this. I want to come back to Nigeria & contribute my bit. But why should I when a govt cannot account for billions which it supposedly spent on infrastructure? I grudgingly pay high taxes here but I can see where and how my money is spent. I cant even begin to count how well I sleep @ nite, my health, transport etc etc etc. I can even protest for a change if I feel things are not done right and it will be considered and best options taken.

In Nigeria do we even have a voice? Do our present leaders even know we exist?

Let's pray the right man gets the job be it a Nigerian, Ghanian, Libyan, American or whoever as long as he can do the bloody job thats needs to be done in this country!
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by arogbowei: 3:52pm On Mar 26, 2011
Nairalanders, let's dignify our fellows in our contributions. I see no reason why discussion on gas will dovetail into SE SW war of words, we are all brothers. Contributions like these could only make some of us to look for other more matured platforms to rob minds. Let's dignify ourselves please. As for those who take to bashing of GEJ, he is not the cause of our problem, let's not be gullible.

Back to the topic at hand, if the government can fully implement this project as it promise to do it will lift us out of the current situation, i believe GEJ can pull it through, he has no choice than to perform. The devil/angel i know is far better than the one i do not know. Let's make make a difference with our own contribution on this platform. Let's not be like the same politicians we are criticizing. Please let's leave all the bashing please.
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by rhymz(m): 4:35pm On Mar 26, 2011
Londoner has time engaging a certified slowpoke like Sbeezy that argues without the aids of his brains. I remember when the !diot used to be sjeezy he made himself so popular with his uncontrolable fits of crass stewpidity, the only one thing he did with flair and !diotic brawn was being arrogantly DUMB. Then he used to throw himself around as a student charge and bail lawyer in the U.S. .haha. . He obviously discovered that they were far more better silent achievers in Nairaland that don't get flustered by his very mediocre supposed achievements. Besides his ghetto lingos and very poor writing style always sold him out as just another average lucky guy in one of the ghettos in the U.S trying to boost his ego by throwing himself around. . .lol. .Nigga had to change his monika from the "dumb & Gay" SJEEZY-that used to give us some comic relief with his repertiore of very stewwpid theatrics-to an even dumber and lamer SBEEZY that spews gibberish from all four compasses of his dirty mouth.
I am very surprised Londoner even paid you any mind. . Lol. .what exactly did you say that got you her attention? Probably spewed your usual bigoted mumbo-jumbo and she thought you were a case that could be remedied and started debating in a civil manner with you.
As for the people talking about the East without any concrete knowledge, I laugh at your sheer arrogance at being foolhardy in your ignorance.
Southwest has everything the Yorubas need. .lol. .what a Dolt!
Until some of you visit the East and stay for at least a year, it is pointless arguing with all these school students that see every arguement as their usual "classroom-read about a topic and argue for or against it" debate. Person go dey for jand or yankee, e go wan tell person wey dey im own house for naija wetin they happen for im backyard. Na so una go dey argue with very arrogant ignorance from d far place wey una dey with ppl wey dey actually on ground. There is a clear difference between what is actually read but not experienced and what you read about and have had the experience of.
Igbos move to Lagos not because the southeast region is in any lack different from what every of the regions suffer but because of their itenerant business nature. Lagos is not the only Nigerian City with Igbo Neither is the Southwestern region, I wonder why you lot always like to see yourselves as an isolated case. To the extent of flirting with the temptation to equate it to the WEST. Like there are no Igbos of consequece in the east, do you know the population of Igbos in the east living very decent lives and have never been to the southwest before? If we were to do a head count of people in the east, especially the SE with better standards of living and those in the SW, Lagos being an exception, you lot will see the folly in your silly claims.
I am even appalled by eku-bear's assertion that trading does not have any economic value, what an ignorant statement from a supposedly educated person. So the employment created by trading is of no economic sense? The facts that monies realized from trading can be used to set up other businesses, educate their childrien and wards, pay their taxes and sustain a good standard of living do not constitute any economic importance, right?
Your idea of what constitute economic importance is warped, so everyone needs to be in a white collar job . . Lol. . You guys are just paper tigers that love to talk without testing the waters.
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by sbeezy8: 6:18pm On Mar 26, 2011
^^^ haha

id live in Lagos abeokuta ibadan akure abuja then if not benin city, Kaduna, Benue state wink, warri, calabar wink THEN GHANA BENIN, TOGO, US, UK, CANADA KENYA SOUTH AFRICA

BUT DEF NOT ANY OF THE SE- those small 5 baby states or PH - one cannot even wipe their yansh well without brushing shoulders with someone else chai na waoooooo lipsrsealed

CHINEKE GODFORBID
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by sbeezy8: 6:21pm On Mar 26, 2011
im not against moving around nigeria because i know plenty of yorubas who live in the midwest, middle belt and north but those little landlocked states in iboland HELL NO

yorubaland 1, Midwest 2, Middle belt 3, Calabar 4th THEN OFF TO ANOTHER COUNTRY
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by THEAMAKA(f): 6:33pm On Mar 26, 2011
sbeezy8:

^^^ haha

id live in Lagos abeokuta ibadan akure abuja then if not benin city, Kaduna, Benue state wink, warri, calabar wink THEN GHANA BENIN, TOGO, US, UK, CANADA KENYA SOUTH AFRICA

BUT DEF NOT ANY OF THE SE- those small 5 baby states or PH - one cannot even wipe their yansh well without brushing shoulders with someone else chai na waoooooo lipsrsealed

CHINEKE GODFORBID

sbeezy8:

im not against moving around nigeria because i know plenty of yorubas who live in the midwest, middle belt and north but those little landlocked states in iboland HELL NO

yorubaland 1, Midwest 2, Middle belt 3, Calabar 4th THEN OFF TO ANOTHER COUNTRY

I see nothing has changed about you. SMH. still your same old tribalistic self.
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by londoner: 6:39pm On Mar 26, 2011
@rhymz, you are right. I should never have wasted my time at all, and usually would steer clear of people who think like that.

Life will be the teacher.
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by Nobody: 6:40pm On Mar 26, 2011
THE AMAKA:

Has anything changed about your tribalistic ibo brothers.
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by THEAMAKA(f): 6:41pm On Mar 26, 2011
Aigbofa:

Has anything changed about your tribalistic ibo brothers.
please get a life. is that all you can say? yawn,
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by Nobody: 6:46pm On Mar 26, 2011
THE AMAKA:

please get a life. is that all you can say? yawn,

You need to wean yourself off this Valium addiction. You yawn too much.
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by sbeezy8: 6:53pm On Mar 26, 2011
THE AMAKA:

me tribalistic Godforbid- i havent said any abuses to anyone

look around i never abused anytribe or culure
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by babaowo: 8:32pm On Mar 26, 2011
Sorry for east ppl oooo cos your oil region had been given to Cameroon lol bakasi penisula lol
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by rhymz(m): 10:43pm On Mar 26, 2011
sbeezy8:

^^^ haha

CHINEKE GODFORBID
. . LoL. .this kid is a genetic garbage. . Wetin U dey feel like na? Dangote or Adenuga? Like if you come there anyone will even notice an asswipe like you. .hahaha. . Guy get over yourself jor, the world does not revolve around you. Nobody is asking your likes to visit the east, there is just enough yoruba people in the east if na to see yoruba ppl be any easterner problem. .hahaha. . . But the fact is SW is no safer than SE or SS, so using that as an excuse to say yorubas are not much in the region because of that is lame. Na which time kidnapping even start for there sef? Those of us that know you very well, know that critical thinking has never been your forte, so why are you trying so hard to sound more inteligent thab you realy are? Didn't you use to be a regular visitor to the romance and sexuality section, you gay a$$, senile kiddo. You are better off displaying your distasteful sexual choice in those sections than overtasking your lame brain here.
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by sbeezy8: 10:56pm On Mar 26, 2011
^^^ ISNT IT NIGHT TIME IN NIGERIA- go to sleep homie wink
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by sbeezy8: 11:00pm On Mar 26, 2011
and I dont think I ever said anything about SW being safer I think I said ID RATHER STAY IN THE SW OR TOGO OR GHANA OR SOUTH AFRICA OR ABROAD IN OYINBO COUNTRIES- than stay in the SE.

lol grin
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by EzeUche2(m): 3:47am On Mar 27, 2011
Sjeezy you are a CLOWN.
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by THEAMAKA(f): 3:49am On Mar 27, 2011
EzeUche_:

Sjeezy you are a CLOWN.
are you back in naija?
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by AljUche: 3:50am On Mar 27, 2011
THE AMAKA:

are you back in naija?

amaka wink
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by THEAMAKA(f): 3:51am On Mar 27, 2011
Alj Uche:

amaka wink
hello.
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by AljUche: 3:55am On Mar 27, 2011
THE AMAKA:

hello.

why this

just giving u a compliment

well how u dey na wink wink wink kiss kiss wink angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Alamieyeseigha's Pardon Was Approved By Yar’adua / Buhari Says Nigeria Has 35 States? / Four Other Zamfara Reps Dump PDP For APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.