Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,252 members, 7,829,480 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:47 AM

Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... - Literature (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... (63507 Views)

Chimamanda Adichie: 'I Am Sorry For Men, They Can't Have Motherhood' / Chimamanda Adichie: I Was Sexually Harassed By Media Man Who Squeezed My Breast / Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie: 'I Was Happy To Wear Dior Cleavage-Baring Dress' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by silibaba: 1:30pm On Jan 02, 2021
SeriouslySense:
Can you even explain, what you believe in, that is a start.

But, no you keep rambling like you know perfectly, grin grin grin.

And that it will be known perfectly after reading those verse, which i read, and then you say its the spirit that will explain, since its too much for you to explain some details.

please try and understand the chapter very well.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by emecheboy2(m): 1:32pm On Jan 02, 2021
ogbeni shut up, you a liberal leftist.
what is in giving thanks to God that you are complaining about. did anybody force to do thanksgiving in church?
fundraising is not by force in the catholic church as well as offering. infact is in the catholic you will see still today
people put 10 naira and 20 naira as offering box.
her excuses are useless.

sunnybobonwa:
Why I stopped attending Catholic churches in Nigeria - Chimamanda Adichie

https://lifestyle.thecable.ng/chimamanda-why-i-stopped-attending-catholic-churches-in-nigeria/

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by SeriouslySense(m): 1:37pm On Jan 02, 2021
I was quite right unfortanely, you may be very lost, sorry for this gloating from me, i don't take pleasure in malicious satisfaction.

But you yourself need to read those verses very well, don't skip some parts, read it as a whole, i have read it again, it will guide us.

Heb 10:14  For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified. 
Heb 10:15  Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before, 
Heb 10:16  This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them; 
Heb 10:17  And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more. 
Heb 10:18  Now where remission of these is, there is no more offering for sin.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by zachykad: 1:37pm On Jan 02, 2021
Chimamanda is not a humanist as long as she still believes in a God and goes to church. Humanists does not go to church or mosque or shrine. They do not believe in any God or deity.

Quite true, some religious folks displays elements of humanism, but they are not humanists.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by chingle5(m): 1:58pm On Jan 02, 2021
Makavelli25:
How come I am following you. You sound dumb

Wahala for person way still dey follow for 2021 grin grin
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by Isabella199: 2:18pm On Jan 02, 2021
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by Innomach(m): 2:50pm On Jan 02, 2021
LaEvilIMiss:
BTC has arrived in some churches grin guys how do you expect the mansions in heaven to be built

What's BTC, please?
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by Raph166: 3:23pm On Jan 02, 2021
Who ur coming help
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by Nodogragra4me(m): 4:04pm On Jan 02, 2021
Charity85:
Chiamanda states she is a Catholic by nomenclature. I don't really think there is anything as such. She says she doesn't believe in the Sacrament of Penance (Confession). You see, if you are a Catholic, you are bound to believe in all the articles of the Catholic faith as summarized in the Nicene Creed or the Apostle's Creed. You don't decide which of the doctrines suit you to believe. Meanwhile as a Catholic, your role model should be on those who have ran the race to the finish and gained the prize of eternal life and not on those still on the way. This is the reason we believe in the communion of the Saints and there are many of them, in all nations of the world and even in our country Nigeria

How did you know that those people your church refers to as saints have obtained the price ?

Is the title ,Saint, for people who have obtained the price?
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by musicwriter(m): 4:15pm On Jan 02, 2021
leadzeal:
Religion in general, is a school you should graduate from as soon as you can so has to discover your very own spiritual path ordained for you from the beginning.

Religion can NEVER lead you to God, only spirituality can perceive God; for God is Spirit.

It is only one of the means and never the End. If you see it has the end, you will never understand your being and consequently God.

Glad Adichie is coming to that understanding.

Very correct my brother!. Very correct.

Religions and their so called holy books are all like the nursery school about God. It stunts the spirituality of the believer and keeps him/her like a kid forever in nursery school and won't allow the adherent grow up in spirit. I was watching TB Joshua and Adeboye the other day and I just pitied them. They're like adult-children. They neither understand what they're doing nor would they allow others understand it.

I was thinking about it the other day and it appears religion was deliberately designed to mislead humanity away from God because in ancient times, people all over the world actually already believed in the Christ principle when it wasn't called Jesus. Different cultures across the world already called it Horus in Africa, Krishna and Buddha in India, Dionysus in Greece, even Mithra in Rome itself. All cultures already believed in the Christ principle but it wasn't called Jesus. Christianity is actually the reason people don't believe in Jesus all over the world today anymore!!. This's the irony of all irony.

No wonder the moment someone becomes spiritual even inside the church or mosque, the first thing they do is quit religion........ and that's actually when the real quest for God begins.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by Maycash89(m): 4:24pm On Jan 02, 2021
sunnybobonwa:

https://lifestyle.thecable.ng/chimamanda-why-i-stopped-attending-catholic-churches-in-nigeria/
Catholic is that one a Church, the answer is a Capital No,it is a cult,What they practice is falsification of the truth.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by Tochj(m): 4:35pm On Jan 02, 2021
Christainity is not a religion
Jesus never intended to start a religion
Christainity started as a movement focused on humanity not laws per se.
Human leaders of the church corrupted the system.
Read Acts from chapter 1 to 5 and see how those guys lived in love.

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by unimagin: 5:06pm On Jan 02, 2021
Sagaciousp:
I'm not a Catholic, but one church in Nigeria I admire most is the Catholic Church.
There is this Catholic Church close to my residence, they have a mini flat(Bungalow) close to the Church auditorium, this house has housed a non Catholic with his six children for more than three years now. Every Sunday mass will be ongoing and the man and his family would dress and pass right in front of the church auditorium to living faith church(Winners chapel) where they worship.

Which other denomination tolerates such?
It's a big lie. No church is fanatical like Catholic. Catholic is just a christianized version of roman paganism

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by Hassanmaye(m): 5:11pm On Jan 02, 2021
2cribz:
I dropped out from catholic church in 2010.
Its a coven,withcraft,they are demonic,rev father sexing all the sisters,cumin in them,rev fsther smokes in pub shortly after mass u go dey perceive ciga,they drink beer openly during harvest and bazaar,yhere is nothing anu bastard catholic will tellme again. They turn the bible upside down and they dont use bible,its forbidden. All they do is to rewrie and modify bible verses inside one useless bulletin. Catholics worship mary and idolise her a lot,to them jesus christ is secondary. Mary is first. Dumb fools hell bound.. hail mary full of grace,tha lord is with u,i can recite all they stupid useless boring prayers. Idols and withches full catholic church
take it easy na

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by Hassanmaye(m): 5:15pm On Jan 02, 2021
Frustrated007:
this woman digusts me on every level sad
Wasn't she the one who said she couldn't take her husband's last name? sad

give Nigerian woman small power and influence and watch her start trampling on everybody
Lol that's the other gender for you I don't pity women
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by Frustrated007: 5:25pm On Jan 02, 2021
imagine the insult! She no even respect the man.
If her husband was dangote or bill gates will she say the same thing?
Probably not grin
I pity the useless doctor that married her, the guy nah fooooooooool !!!!!!!
I go sacrifice my freedom marry woman she go dey tell me say she no fit take my last name grin
Kuku marry your father then!
Hassanmaye:

Lol that's the other gender for you I don't pity women

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by Nodogragra4me(m): 5:31pm On Jan 02, 2021
You cannot assume what is expressly declared by Jesus Christ. He says he is the only way to God and the only mediator.

This clearly makes it clear that there is no room for assumption. Only Christ can mediate in matters of our prayers unless Christ lied about his status.

The book of revelation says the prayers of the saints and no other.

My key question is, how is it possible for a none omnipresent being to answer over a billion people praying at the same time.

What you have presented doesn't answer the question including the supporting article.

The Bible is the reference book for all Christians

Stating that Catholics are not mandated to pray through Mary or saint is half truth. There is nothing within the Catholic Church official programs without prayer to Mary.

Fifteen decades is there , litany to Mary and the rest

By the way, all the scriptures you cited in Revelation talks about the 24 elders not saints and at any rate, Saint is not a title reserved for dead believers, everyone who believes in Christ is a saint whether in heaven or on earth... The prayer is the golden centre was prayed from earth by living humans beings

DiamondJude:

First and very importantly there is no where in the Catholic doctrine that says it's a most to pray through Mary or the saint's. Though the Church encourages devotion to Mary and the saints.

Agreed the saints and our mother Mary isn't omnipresent but I'm sure you will agree that Mary and all the saints are with God in heaven and there is nothing wrong in God sharing His nature and qualities with them and even when needed He can give them that ability to hear prayers of the people directed through them.

Lol. When needed as in when God is too tired to be God he then hands over to Mary and the saints to operate as temporary God while he takes a break.
Sir, the scripture cannot be broken. This assumption is too pedestrian to even be considered a possibility. God cssnot support what is not in his word. No matter how logical it may seem to you god is never going to bless disobedience and extra-scriptural doctrines.

Mary is not everywhere , same goes for your saints and therefore cannot answer prayers or even pray to God to help anyone here on earth. Not a single verse supports this doctrine

DiamondJude:

In revelation 8: 4 the Bible tells us that
And the smoke of the incense, which came with the prayers of the saints, ascended up before God out of the angel's hand.

This is to show that our prayers are taken up to God, God is Holy and our prayers are often filled with selfishness and need's to be purified before getting to God, so angels do that work and I'm sure the saint's aren't idle in heaven sipping Champagne, they partake in the ministry of heaven too just like the angels, if the angels can offer our prayers to God so too can Mary and the saints.

The book of Revelation shows the saints worshipping God, singing hymns, playing instruments, making requests to Christ to avenge their martyrdom, and [b]offering prayers for the saints on earth (Rev. [/b]4:10, 5:8, 6:9-11).

Whether Mary and the saints are idle or busy is not for me to assume. What I know is that Angels are ministering Spirits and that they excel in strength. Mary and the saints you are dealing with are not giving them a helping hand in their assignments.

Rev 6:9-11 never said that they prayed for anyone on earth. They cried for justice for themselves not others and they got an explanation in verse q1

Rev 4:10
"10 The four and twenty elders fall down before him that sat on the throne, and worship him that liveth for ever and ever, and cast their crowns before the throne, saying," (KJV1769+, Rev 4:10)

Rev 5:8
"8 And when he had taken the book, the four beasts and four and twenty elders fell down before the Lamb, having every one of them harps, and golden vials full of odours, which are the prayers of saints. odours: or, incense" (KJV1769+, Rev 5:cool

"9 And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held: 10 And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth? 11 And white robes were given unto every one of them; and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for a little season, until their fellowservants also and their brethren, that should be killed as they were, should be fulfilled." (KJV1769+, Rev 6:9-11)

DiamondJude:

ARTICLE
The Bible Supports Praying to the Saint
Listen to the audio version of this content
Most “Bible-believing” Christians object to the Catholic practice of praying to the saints. These critics worry that Catholics will go to hell for offending God with a neo-pagan system of worship. They have four main criticisms of the custom, all of which they push forward vigorously.

First, they accuse Catholics of worshipping Mary and the other saints. This violates the first commandment: “You shall not have any other gods before me” (Ex. 20:3).

Additional proof that Catholics worship the saints is that they make statues of them, in violation of the next commandment: “You shall not make for yourself an idol or any image which is in the heavens above or on the earth below or in the waters which are under the earth; you shall not bow down and serve them because I am the Lord your God” (Ex. 20:4-5). Catholics make statues of the saints whom they worship, thereby committing the double sin of polytheism and idolatry.

The second objection to praying to the saints is that, even if Catholics do not worship the saints, they are at least calling upon the spirits of the dead. Scripture explicitly forbids conjuring the dead in many passages:

“Do not turn to mediums and familiar spirits; do not seek defilement among them” (Lev. 19:31). “The soul who turns to mediums and to familiar spirits to go whoring after them, I will set my face against that soul and cut him off from the midst of his people” (Lev. 20:6). “The man or the woman who becomes a medium or a familiar spirit will surely die; they will cast stones at them; their blood will be on themselves” (Lev. 20:27). “Let there not be found among you one who makes his son or his daughter pass through fire, a diviner of divinations, an occultist, a charmer, an enchanter, one who casts spells, or one who questions mediums or familiar spirits, or one who seeks the dead” (Deut. 18:10-11). Since the saints are all dead, no one is allowed to consult them without breaking these biblical laws.

A third objection is that there is only one mediator with the Father, Jesus Christ. “For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, a man, Jesus Christ, who has given himself as a ransom for all, the testimony in its own time” (1 Tim. 2:5-6). Jesus Christ is fully satisfactory as the mediator between sinners and God. No one should ever ask the saints for intercession.

A fourth objection is that the Bible does not instruct Christians to honor the saints, seek their intercession, or keep their relics. Without any biblical injunction to perform these things, a Christian risks displeasing God.

The Catholic Church always has taught that a Christian can worship only God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit. No creature, no matter how good or beautiful–no angel, no saint, not even the Virgin Mary–deserves adoration.

This is the teaching of the creeds (Apostles’ Creed: “I believe in one God”; Nicene Creed: “We believe in one God”) and the catechisms (Baltimore Catechism, question 199: “By the first commandment we are commanded to offer to God alone the supreme worship that is due him”) and the Church councils (Nicaea, in 325; Rome in 382; Toledo in 675; Lateran IV in 1215; Lyons in 1274; Florence in 1442; Trent from 1545-1563; Vatican I from 1869-1870).

The Catholic Church condemns polytheism and idolatry alike. Pope Dionysius condemned the division of the one God into three gods, for there can be only one God, not three (Letter to Dionysius of Alexandria, A.D. 260). Pope Damasus I condemned the worship of other gods, angels, or archangels, even when God gave them the name of “god” in the Bible (Tome of Damasus, approved at the Council of Rome, 382).

John Damascene’s Apologetic Sermons Against Those Who Reject Sacred Images gives an authentic presentation of the Catholic attitude towards statues and pictures of Mary and the saints: “If we were making images of men and thought them gods and adored them as gods, certainly we would be impious. But we do not do any of these things.”

The Baltimore Catechism, question 223, confirms this by teaching: “We do not pray to the crucifix or to the images and relics of the saints, but to the persons they represent.”

Catholic doctrine absolutely rejects the worship of anyone but God and rejects all worship of statues, whether of Christ or the saints. What the Church does allow is praying to the saints in order to ask for their intercession with the one true God. The Church also allows one to make statues to remind a person of Christ or the saint:

“Further, the images of Christ, of the Virgin Mother of God, and of the other saints are to be kept with honor in places of worship especially; and to them due honor and veneration is to be paid–not because it is believed that there is any divinity or power intrinsic to them for which they are reverenced, nor because it is from them that something is sought, nor that a blind trust is to be attached to images as it once was by the Gentiles who placed their hope in idols (Ps. 135:15ff); but because the honor which is shown to them is referred to the prototypes which they represent.

“Thus it follows that through these images, which we kiss and before which we kneel and uncover our heads, we are adoring Christ and venerating the saints whose likenesses these images bear” (Council of Trent, Session XXV, Decree 2).

This mirrors the Old Testament attitude. Soon after they received the commandment prohibiting the making of images for worship, the Israelites were told by the Lord to “make two cherubim of beaten gold; you will make them for the two ends of the covering [of the Ark of the Covenant]” (Ex. 25:18). After many Israelites suffered punishment in the form of snakebite, at the Lord’s instruction “Moses made the bronze serpent and he set it upon a pole, and it happened that if a serpent bit a man, and he looked to the bronze serpent, he lived” (Num. 21:9).

The gold cherubim and the bronze serpent were not objects of worship. The cherubim symbolized the presence of God’s angels at the Ark of the Covenant, and the bronze serpent was God’s means of healing the people of poisonous snakebite. So too do Catholics make statues to represent the presence of the saints and angels in churches, homes, and elsewhere.

The Bible teaches that the attempt to contact the dead through seances and mediums is a serious sin. The Catholic Church, being a Bible-believing Church (actually, of course, it’s more than that–the Catholic Church is the one and only Bible-writing Church), condemns all forms of superstition and conjuring the dead.

The Baltimore Catechism explains the seriousness of the sin of superstition: “Superstition is by its nature a mortal sin, but it may be venial either when the matter is slight or when there is a lack of full consent to the act” (question 212).

When the Catholic Church encourages devotion and prayer to the saints, in no way does it intend for its members to practice some form of superstition. Never does the Church instruct the faithful to conjure the spirits of the saints to carry on some two-way communication. There are no seances that try to make them appear, speak messages, tap tables, or anything of the sort.

The faith of the Church is that the saints are not really dead, but are fully alive in Jesus Christ, who is life itself (John 11:25; 14:6) and the bread of life who bestows life on all who eat his flesh and drink his blood (John 6:35, 48, 51, 53-56). The saints are alive in heaven because of the life they have received through their faith in Christ Jesus and through their eating of his body and blood.

The book of Revelation shows the saints worshipping God, singing hymns, playing instruments, making requests to Christ to avenge their martyrdom, and offering prayers for the saints on earth (Rev. 4:10, 5:8, 6:9-11).

Because they are alive, we believe that we can go to them to intercede for us with God. We do not need to see apparitions or hear their voices in order to believe they will pray for us in heaven. We trust that the saints will accept our requests for help and will present them to Christ for us.

The Catholic Church has always believed that Jesus Christ is the one mediator between God and man. It is the death and resurrection of Jesus alone by which people are saved.

In 449 Pope Leo the Great wrote his Tome against Eutyches, who taught that Jesus Christ had only one nature, not two. (This was the heresy of monophysitism.) In the Tome, which the Council of Chalcedon accepted as the authentic Catholic teaching on Christ, he quotes 1 Timothy 2:5 as the authentic Catholic doctrine: “Hence, as was suitable for the alleviation of our distress, one and the same mediator between God and men, himself man, Christ Jesus, was both mortal and immortal under different.aspects.”

The fifth session of the Council of Trent (1546) laid out the belief in Jesus the one true mediator as the norm of Catholic faith: “[Original sin cannot be] taken away through the powers of human nature or through a remedy other than the merit of the one mediator, our Lord Jesus Christ, who reconciled us to God in his blood, having become our justice, and sanctification, and redemption.”

The schema of the Dogmatic Constitution on the Principal Mysteries of the Faith, drafted for the First Vatican Council (1869-1870), includes the unique mediation of Jesus Christ as one of these principal mysteries: “Truly, therefore, Christ Jesus is mediator between God and man, one man dying for all; he made satisfaction to the divine justice for us, and he erased the handwriting that was against us. Despoiling principalities and powers, he brought us from our longstanding slavery into the freedom of sons.”

These quotations from official Catholic documents give unambiguous proof that the Church believes Jesus Christ and no other is the one mediator between sinful humanity and the righteous God. How does the Church integrate this essential doctrine of the faith with the belief that we can pray to the saints?

First, God expects us to pray for one another. We see this in both the Old and New Testaments.

In a dream, God commanded King Abimelech to ask Abraham to intercede for him: “For [Abraham] is a prophet and he will pray for you, so you shall live” (Gen. 20:7). When the Lord is angry with Job’s friends because they did not speak rightly about God, he tells them, “Let my servant Job pray for you because I will accept his [prayer], lest I make a terror on you” (Job 42:cool.

Paul wrote to the Romans: “I exhort you, brothers, through our Lord Jesus Christ and through the love of the Spirit, to strive with me in prayers to God on my behalf, that I may be delivered from the disobedient in Judaea and that my ministry may be acceptable to the saints in Jerusalem, so that in the joy coming to you through the will of God I may rest with you” (Rom. 15:30-32).

James says: “Therefore confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man has great power in its effects” (James 5:16-17). Thus, according to Scripture, God wants us to pray for one another. This must mean that prayer for one another cannot detract from the role of Jesus Christ as our one mediator with God.

Second, the reason that Christians have the power to pray for one another is that each person who is baptized is made a member of the Body of Christ by virtue of the Holy Spirit’s action in baptism (1 Cor. 12:11-13). It is because the Christian belongs to Jesus Christ and is a member of his Body, the Church, that we can make effective prayer.

The reason we pray to the saints is that they are still members of the Body of Christ. Remember, the life which Christ gives is eternal life; therefore, every Christian who has died in Christ is forever a member of the Body of Christ. This is the doctrine which we call the Communion of the Saints. Everyone in Christ, whether living or dead, belongs to the Body of Christ.

From this it follows that a saint in heaven may intercede for other people because he still is a member of the Body of Christ. Because of this membership in Christ, under his headship, the intercession of the saints cannot be a rival to Christ’s mediation; it is one with the mediation of Christ, to whom and in whom the saints form one body.

Regarding the documents about Mary your claim is not accurate before in the Mass which is the highest form of Catholic prayers, Mary is not mentioned not more than thrice and She is mentioned together with the apostle's, Mary is the first Apostle. And moreover any honour given to Mary is honour given to her son Jesus. When Elizabeth praised Mary, what did Mary did? She sang the magnificant (My souls glorifies the Lord).

Bros the Catholic church gave us the Bible, there is no teaching in the Catholic church that the Bible contradicts. It may not be written explicitly but if you dig well you will discovery the bible doesn't condemn any Catholic teaching.

I will love for us to examine all of your doctrinal issues in more details if you will permit

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by Thomthom(m): 5:45pm On Jan 02, 2021
majamajic:
If u want marry urgently this new year , just attend Catholic morning service in your village tomorrow , u go see fin fin homely girls to pick from , pay her bride price next day . Very simple !
Am a Catholic o disagree with you...
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by Nobody: 6:07pm On Jan 02, 2021
musicwriter:

Very correct my brother!. Very correct.

Religions and their so called holy books are all like the nursery school about God. It stunts the spirituality of the believer and keeps him/her like a kid forever in nursery school and won't allow the adherent grow up in spirit. I was watching TB Joshua and Adeboye the other day and I just pitied them. They're like adult-children. They neither understand what they're doing nor would they allow others understand it.

I was thinking about it the other day and it appears religion was deliberately designed to mislead humanity away from God because in ancient times, people all over the world actually already believed in the Christ principle when it wasn't called Jesus. Different cultures across the world already called it Horus in Africa, Krishna and Buddha in India, Dionysus in Greece, even Mithra in Rome itself. All cultures already believed in the Christ principle but it wasn't called Jesus. Christianity is actually the reason people don't believe in Jesus all over the world today anymore!!. This's the irony of all irony.

No wonder the moment someone becomes spiritual even inside the church or mosque, the first thing they do is quit religion........ and that's actually when the real quest for God begins.

I appreciate your depth and I realized that you have done alot of work in unraveling some life's puzzles. This issue generates, I mean spirituality and religion, alot of heated debate. And once one get entangled in proving who or what is right or wrong, then the whole motive will be lost.

I definitely concur with ur use of "adult baby", and I have also come to the know that religion is a mind game composed by the universal machination of all existence. It is like a program where the fittest survives. This structure is so intricately deep, from my findings and ongoing search, that the only clear objective is to make one discover his true nature.

I can't fight this program but I have the choice to free myself from its web. The whole program is like a sinking sand, the more you fight it, the more you sink into it. It is a mirage, analogous to the Plato's cave sypnosis. If you try to force your way in telling others that all these things are just Maya, they will turn at you with so much disdain.

I can only say this is deep and is a game well designed with no end in sight. An eternal cycle of mind evolution. I am still on my pilgrimage and discovering truths along the way. Just grateful that I am more flexible and open to influx that will aid my progress further.

In sum, in my journey, my knowing was only made possible by the amalgamation of the Jesus doctrine, Sufism, cabala, zen meditation and others... Life started making sense to me when I realized all things share a common root. In other words, in the very ground of all existences, we are all one.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by MrCEO69(m): 6:17pm On Jan 02, 2021
why do catholic call themselves catholic? Instead of Christian![size=8pt][/size]
sunnybobonwa:

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by nyiamfrank: 6:50pm On Jan 02, 2021
Please, don't digress.

I stopped going to Catholic Church in Nigeria! Not in the UK or US, not even in Cameroon.

You get the point now!
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by Khalifa456(m): 6:56pm On Jan 02, 2021
Well it’s just like adichie was in my head, I had to ask my self twice “is this still the Catholic Church I was raised into “ ? SMH
The worst part is that they do that soo boldly and it disgusts me to my bone. I’m currently in my villa in Anambra every fucking day the only this this particular parish priest ask for is funds the worst part is that he ask such huge amount of money from average family whom feed from hand to mouth.okay he said he wants to build a world class church in a village that is not even a cathedral but just an outstation, he asked that the CWO provide 4.35mil for him to build a TABANACLE for the church, really. Okay yesterday I think he noticed people weren’t gona give him no money anymore he change the format into “raised funds for the poor” and promised he will continue the normal fundraising on Sunday........oya listen to his justification for asking unreasonable amount from people whom they never asked if there family has eaten 3 square meal this Xmas, and I quote
“What if you were on transit and you got kidnapped and ransomed 10mil from you won’t you pay ?? But God protected you from all that so you should from that supposed 10mil ransom and give God 1mil from it””
Can you just imagine?? So he was hoping we should get kidnapped yeah
They already know if they start asking people for funds after communion 60% of the congregation will disappear so they have shifted it to immediately after GOSPEL reading and word of God boom!! it has started. This isn’t the way I re supposed to be. Church should do more of charity to make sure their members are okay not dry them of the little they have�‍♂️�‍♂️�‍♂️�‍♂️�‍♂️

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by Snakedoctor1: 7:42pm On Jan 02, 2021
SeriouslySense:
it becomes dangerous when you dwell in mysticism, because this is where it becomes vague, and people inject anything into it, when you are talking about the spirit, don't make it sound mystic, it based on understanding the bible, it based on principles, that it should be fulfilled, because you are walking closely with our creator.

It is mystic if you desire to use the word. And that is why you need a revelational knowledge- same way being born again is mystic; same reason Christianity is not a religion propelled by certain bogus ideology; same reason Muhammed would speak the ideological good while Christ will speak the language of the kingdom- how would you rationalise the fact that the saints are pre-ordained to inherit the kingdom and stuff like that.
These mystries got the Jews infuriated that they just needed to snuff the life out of him in the most cruel way.
Run for your life on time. Get born again and have God reveal himself to you through Christ.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by BluntTheApostle(m): 8:25pm On Jan 02, 2021
silibaba:
is the last super not ritual?

Sorry for the late response.

The Last Supper was meant to be commemorated. It is at best a commemorative ritual.

But I am not against rituals in Christianity, especially when they are more of commemoration than man's doctrines which have taken over many of today's churches, especially the Catholic Church.

They worship me in vain; their teachings are merely human rules (Mark 7:7)
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by BluntTheApostle(m): 8:32pm On Jan 02, 2021
silibaba:
through Jesus right?

then read Hebrew 9 and 10 very deeply

Yes, through Jesus, and Jesus alone.

What contrary subject was discussed in Hebrew 9 and 10?

If there is another Way aside through Jesus Christ, then the death of Christ would be meaningless.

If there are other ways except through Christ, then it means Christ died in vain.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by silibaba: 8:34pm On Jan 02, 2021
BluntTheApostle:

Sorry for the late response.

The Last Supper was meant to be commemorated. It is at best a commemorative ritual.

But I am not against rituals in Christianity, especially when they are more of commemoration than man's doctrines which have taken over many of today's churches, especially the Catholic Church.

They worship me in vain; their teachings are merely human rules (Mark 7:7)

dont be deceived, is a ritual.

anything involving blood is ritual
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by silibaba: 8:37pm On Jan 02, 2021
BluntTheApostle:

Yes, through Jesus, and Jesus alone.

What contrary subject was discussed in Hebrew 9 and 10?

If there is another Way aside through Jesus Christ, then the death of Christ would be meaningless.

If there are other ways except through Christ, then it means Christ died in vain.

remember, he said do it in memory of me?

that mean continuous eating and drinking of his blood is paramount
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by Oracleforce: 8:45pm On Jan 02, 2021
Nodogragra4me:

Because it has been there doesn't make it right.

As a former Catholic I can declare that the church puts financial pressures on membership and panders to the men and family with the financial muscle .

I don't think the church makes any money compulsory for members to pay including tithe....you contribute to the church according to your financial capacity....
after all, there are lots of people who don't pay a dime and they still worship in the same church....don't bad-mouth the Catholic Church... I
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by BluntTheApostle(m): 8:54pm On Jan 02, 2021
silibaba:

lipsrsealed
remember, he said do it in memory of me?

Yes, He did say that. But He didn't say "do this to get saved".

As long as there are sufficient enough materials to remember Jesus by, breaking the bread is not paramount to our faith.

that mean continuous eating and drinking of his blood is paramount

Not necessarily.

The Last Supper is more symbolic than ritualistic.

The grace we enjoy is enough to make us always remember the death of Christ.

For the fact that we no longer need to burn cattle to atone for our sins, is enough commemoration of the death of Christ on its own.

Do you really need everyday communion to remember the suffering and death of Christ?
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by silibaba: 9:05pm On Jan 02, 2021
BluntTheApostle:

Yes, He did say that. But He didn't say "do this to get saved".

As long as there are sufficient enough materials to remember Jesus by, breaking the bread is not paramount to our faith.

Not necessarily.

The Last Supper is more symbolic than ritualistic.

The grace we enjoy is enough to make us always remember the death of Christ.

For the fact that we no longer need to burn cattle to atone for our sins, is enough commemoration of the death of Christ on its own.

Do you really need everyday communion to remember the suffering and death of Christ?

dont be deceived by grace.

you will pay heavily for any sin you comit

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by OgaRico(m): 9:26pm On Jan 02, 2021
silibaba:
you can only make heaven if you die as a catholic. aside catholic, no church can take you to heaven

Silibaba,please can you explain further for me to get a better understanding of this your view about Catholic being the only church to take someone to heaven?.
I have actually heard someone said this before but I just thought he was blabbing.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... by 2010goingon: 10:13pm On Jan 02, 2021
sunnybobonwa:

Way to go

I stopped attending church myself long time back

Bunch of thieves and looters of hard earned money

God has no need of money , I spend it on myself and others in gods name

Till date God has not complained to me cool

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Twist Of Fate. / Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. / TORN (based On A True Life Story)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 138
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.