Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,910 members, 7,821,165 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:12 AM

Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. (63443 Views)

The White Wizard By Tade Adegbindin / Tade Ipadeola Wins 2013 Nigeria Prize For Literature / <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by rapmike(m): 11:38pm On Dec 16, 2014
All rights reserved.
© Osemekeh Ugochukwu Micheal.
This work is property of rapmike and is not to be reproduced in any form without the permission of the owner, as it is protected by the copyright law of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

Prologue

He walked fast, trying to evade the piercing darkness that was midnight. He had been with the DPO of Moro all evening, listening as the man explained times without number why Kareem won't be released or freed. Kareem, known as Lightening, was the most feared cultist in OAU campus. A seasoned killer, his various accomplishments included the murder of the electoral chairman of Osun state or rather The State of Osun and the governorship candidate for NCP in Osun State. The Candidate, Chief Omisore, was known to be a seasoned and no-nonesense accountant who decided to get his hands dirty in Osun state politics. The Ruling Party, RSF, knew that he would win in a landslide victory and employed the cheapest, yet most reliable person to kill him; Kareem. His death caused an outrage in the whole of Osun State, which had led to his arrest. To capture him was tough though, Andrew had to personally take him captive, after he took care of the 'babalawo in charge of him, use some brave police officers to attack his hideout or better put 'fortress' and then beat him in physical combat. That's why he needed those assurances.

4 Likes

Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by rapmike(m): 1:27am On Dec 17, 2014
Yet such assurances did not totally get rid of the anxiety in Andrew's heart. After all, this is the Nigerian Police Force, which is malleable under the right circumstances. He suspected that Kareem was well-connected and will soon burst out of prison, that is if he is not even released by the same DPO.

The man called Kareem sent jitters to any student who knew or had perceived his name. 7ft tall,dark and muscular, Kareem was the son of higly successful parents,his dad a minister of technology in the Fourth Republic and his mother, a senior lecturer in Harvard University, a position even high for the British locals. He, however was a complete anti-thesis to his parents. His first act was to murder them in cold blood, then joining the Ravens almost immediately. He rose up the ranks and in no time took the Ravens to the pinnacle of cultism in Ife and beyond, killing people in the process. By the time he was leader, the Ravens were virtually untouchable on campus, always retaliating any offence committed against them.

2 Likes

Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by toykathy(f): 4:55am On Dec 17, 2014
very well! I wil follow dis 2d end. Keep it coming.
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by rapmike(m): 11:47am On Dec 17, 2014
But someone had to stand against them and Andrew was the candidate.

He had self-imposed himself as the biggest opposition to the Ravens. He decided on this as far back as when he was admitted into the varsity, incidentally at the same time with Kareem himself. Both of them watched as Old Soldier, another notorious cultist killed Gbade, their classmate and Andrew's friend because of some dues. He choked the poor dude to death before smashing his head against the wall of their department. It was a gruesome murder and the sheer impudent nature of it was what drove Andrew against cultism. Unfortunately, it also drove Kareem towards the phenomenon, as he brought himself under the tutelage of Old Soldier before murdering his tutor in similar fashion.

His train of thoughts were cut by the sight of a middle aged man, who did one of the most ridiculous deeds by wearing sun glasses at this time. The man stood in front of Diganga hotel, looking lost.

"Please where is Fine Touch Hostel? I was told it was around here."

Andrew looked at him in surprise. The man was quite some distance away from the hostel and his shabby clothes suggested that he did not belong to the class of people he knew frequent the hostel. Andrew himself was off course, finding himself drifting away from the safety of campus and out on the expressway. What brought him so faraway, he could not fathom.

He kindly directed the man to the location of the hostel and walked back towards campus, the man following him. Andrew's mind flew back to his train of memories, currently selecting the one that concerned his dad.

His father, Wale Martins was a young medical doctor who had lived happily with his wife and two kids until Andrew entered the University and join various anti-cult groups, hunting down cultists all over the place and slowing bringing some sanity to the campus.

His dad feared for him and had warned Andrew severally times to desist from his activities, an advice Andrew ignored blindly. The last time they spoke, it almost resulted to a fist-cuff, with his dad disowning him and he refusing to return home in over a year. This casted a shadow on his life and he wondered if he could ever get it right with his dad again.

2 Likes

Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by rapmike(m): 11:56am On Dec 17, 2014
toykathy:
very well! I wil follow dis 2d end. Keep it coming.

Thanks jare.

Tags: Divepen, Larrysun, MissMossy, Kimco, maclatunji, Nigellus Hosan, Kingphillip, Seun, Fredfrank, festwiz, Obinnau, Ishilove, Orikinla, Sammyhoe,safarigirl, flakkydagirl, kingzpen, d9ty7.
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by rapmike(m): 12:15pm On Dec 17, 2014
His eyes caught the sight of the man again, now that he was very close to the school gate. Why was the man following him? He decided to find out why.

He turned around and faced the man. "How can I help you again, sir?" He asked in plain anger.

"Is that how you ask questions from your elders, young man?" He replied with the usual antagonistic nature of older citizens of the nature when questioned by younger chaps.

"Sir, it does not answer my question. Why are you following me? I directed you to your destination and you....."

Gbam! He felt a sharp sudden pain before he went into the darkened blackness known as unconsciousness.

"Nice work, Razor." The old man spoke, removing the shades. "Carry him away, let's meet at the meeting place." It was Kareem.

1 Like

Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by Timothy3113(m): 2:23pm On Dec 17, 2014
Following
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by D9ty7(m): 3:37pm On Dec 17, 2014
I must commend you for the good job you have been doing here but I must not leave without criticing your work.
1. The updates are just too short.
2. Is this a fiction or non fiction? If its a fiction, then I think you should make it look like one. I understand the fact that it could be a coincidence, but setting your story in the state of Osun and saying something about Omisore is an abuse on his person. You can give him another name, shey you get?
Please do accept my criticism in good faith, thank God they are things every reader could point out.
PEAce.

2 Likes

Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by rapmike(m): 5:19pm On Dec 17, 2014
When he came to, he noticed the fire dancing in a cleared part of the forest. As his head cleared from the fog that was blinding his reasoning faculties, he saw figures moving around the fire, dancing to the beats of locally made drums. The nature of the attires they wore, coupled with some sharp cutlasses hooked to the ground told him something.

He was in a cult meeting.

He tried moving, but as he expected, he was restrained tightly by ropes, binding him like a mad man expected to run once he is a bit loosed. He also noticed the bruises all around him and concluded that he must have been beaten to be here. He was still lost on what happened when the guys stopped dancing and the music stopped.

Kareem emerged from the shadows, which forced the area to even more silence. Now the fire stopped dancing and stood still, like it also understood who was present.

Kareem whistled a bit loudly, then started moving towards the guys dancing in the fire, inspecting them one by one. He then smiled, clapping his hands as they seemingly passed his inspection.

From no where, other guys started to emerge, causing some sort of jubilation among the inspected guys. Kareem carried a smug smile at him, the moon's light causing him to have a better view of Kareem.

Andrew's eyes widened on spotting the sun glasses, as memories started to flood his mind. He remembered the man with the glasses, was that Kareem? He remembered the conversation they had and realised how he was captured. He had no choice than to nod to Kareem's expert method of handling his situation. He knew that Kareem disguised as such a man so as to make Andrew bring his guard down. He again, tried to release himself but it proved abortive.
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by rapmike(m): 5:24pm On Dec 17, 2014
D9ty7:
I must commend you for the good job you have been doing here but I must not leave without criticing your work.
1. The updates are just too short.
2. Is this a fiction or non fiction? If its a fiction, then I think you should make it look like one. I understand the fact that it could be a coincidence, but setting your story in the state of Osun and saying something about Omisore is an abuse on his person. You can give him another name, shey you get?
Please do accept my criticism in good faith, thank God they are things every reader could point out.
PEAce.

D9ty7 is here!!! Woow!

I forgot to put a disclaimer here. It is all fiction.

Therefore all names, events and venues are fictional, any resemblance to any person or event in life is purely coincidental and highly regrettable.

About the short nature of the updates, when I tend to make long updates through my phone, it tends to disappear without been published, hence creating a lot of frustrations to me. After trying to no avail to solve it, I was advised to use short update.

Lastly, even though I used the name Omisore, I did not link him to anything evil in the story, in fact he was a popular guy who was assassinated, so I really don't see the insult in there.

Thanks for the advice and please come around here.
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by rapmike(m): 11:23pm On Dec 17, 2014
Kareem soon raised his hand, ending all the jubilation. He looked sternly at Andrew.

"Thunder, bring the prisoner here."

Andrew was suddenly carried away like a sack of raw food and placed in front of Kareem by Thunder. Once he was dropped, he stole a quick glance at who was Thunder and almost shouted out of surprise.

Thunder was his close friend on campus and his fierce supporter. Together they arrested and imprisoned a lot of cult members and he was close to Andrew. They both were a tag team and Andrew could not believe that He was a cult member, not to talk of the Ravens.

"This guy, Kareem's voice brought him to the current situation. This guy thinks he can outsmart me by arranging my arrest." " He even get the liver to come my area, my capital, come arrest me. A mi, Kareem aka Lightening, Lightening whose blade sharp pass Raikiri, who fast pass any blade for this earth, omo lo mo, Omo to score ju Ronaldo ati Messi. You think you can arrest me?" He slapped Andrew.

He motioned the inspected guys. "Come and see this fool." They walked forward, cautiously as Andrew deduced them to be recruits.

"Carry this fool away, Thunder." Andrew was soon hurled away by Thunder, wallowing at the disappointment of been betrayed by Kunle Falade, now known as Thunder and the DPO.

"We will deal with him later." Kareem declared. Thunder watch him. Kareem then went ahead to discuss other topics for the day. They had a politician to kill, while a girl seems to have pissed off Senegal, one of the old members with a slashed ear, so they planned towards her rape.

Despite the injured state he was, Andrew was planning his escape. He managed to steal a knife from the rear pocket of Thunder without the latter knowing and now planned to wait for his chance to make a run for it.
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by rapmike(m): 10:06am On Dec 18, 2014
With Andrew seemingly bound, the meeting was flowing with ease. The members of the Ravens talked, argued and sang their cult songs. It was not long before a girl was dragged to their presence. Andrew quickly identified her as Biola, a second year student of Chemical Engineering of the school.

He watched as one of the new members called Scorpion accused her of insulting him in public and slapping him. This caused an outrage among them, scaring the girl. He remembered her boyfriend, Ovie himself was the Capone of a rival cult group, the Red Axes. He watched as one of them almost slapped her, only to have his hand held by Kareem himself.

"E be like say you wan slap am back, abi? Matches, where you get this pikin from?"

Matches, a lanky dude with dangerous, red eyes like one who was perpetually under the influence of alcohol, spoke up.

"Oga, no mind jare, he no sabi code. Hey!" He motioned the lad, "Come here!"

The young man 'bounced' confidently to his side but soon had his confidence snuffed off with a 'choke-punch' by Matches. Default mode restored.

Kareem raised his hand up, commanding another bolt of silence. He then asked each of them to look at him.

"This is how we deal with people who insult us. Matches show them!"

Matches moved as quick as he could, forced the poor girl to the ground, stripping her naked before he started teasing her body, in readiness for entry.

Everyone was enjoying the show, even Thunder. Andrew watched on until he was sure that Thunder was completed occupied with the 'rape show', then he dropped the ropes and quietly crept away,before he started running.
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by rapmike(m): 3:58pm On Dec 18, 2014
This is not fair! 100 views and see the number of replies! Its not encouraging. In fact the ginger is not there for me to continue.
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by Thunday16(m): 5:57pm On Dec 18, 2014
Ginger dey cum bro.... Awaiting the update.
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by festwiz(m): 6:27pm On Dec 18, 2014
Good so far

Okay i have arrived, so....

*looks around thread*

Where the chicks?

undecided undecided
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by rapmike(m): 10:11pm On Dec 18, 2014
Everyone was still enjoying the 'pleasures' of Biola when Kareem turned back and saw that Andrew had escaped.

"Haa! Haaa!! Thunder, ni bo ni eran ? Where is my prey? Where is he?" Kareem shouted, diverting everyone's attention towards Thunder and the cut ropes.

"Matches! Gather those 'freshers' around now. We have an animal to catch!"

Cutlasses started flying in the air, as various cult members lifted their weapons and started moving.

"And you!" He pointed to Thunder. "If you like allow her to escape!"

Andrew heard the shout and knew that trouble was coming to meet him at open range, and right now he was not in any shape to take such attack. His adrenaline shot up, forcing him to move a tad faster, despite the huge amount of pain running through his system.

The owl was circling around its prey this night.
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by rapmike(m): 10:45pm On Dec 18, 2014
He had hardly made more distance when a snake suddenly fell on him, forcing him to shake it off. That slight movement gave him away.

Soon enough bullets started to rain across the ground, mostly missing their target due to the inexperience of the recruits. Kareem and Matches walked behind them,warning them against hitting each other.

Andrew went on all fours, knowing that if he stood up or dared to raise his head a bit higher, he will be dead.

Kareem soon motioned the boys to stop wasting their bullets and told them to spread. The moon's light, previously available was been shielded by the clouds, leaving them to the mercy of torch-lights and their untrained eyes.

Andrew crawled his way forward, hoping that the light will not come forth. Alas, it was not to be so!
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by rapmike(m): 10:54pm On Dec 18, 2014
Thunday and festwiz, thanks for showing up.
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by rapmike(m): 11:13am On Dec 19, 2014
Andrew, seeing that the moon's light would not be denied its brightness, quickly crawled to the back of a mango tree and set himself against it.

The moon's light came out, revealing the glory of a full moon. Kareem was in no mood to admire the moon, and now separated the group into two, Matches taking one set to the other side of the bush while he moved forward.

As they moved closer to Andrew's location, he being trapped by his posture, they encountered something odd.

One of the recruits shouted in pain, clearly warning others about the presence of danger. Soon enough other shouts were heard and even Kareem had to retreat back. They were in a den of snakes!

The ruckus gave Andrew the encouragement to move forward, making most of the moon light crawling. As his pains were down in notches, his speed increasing, putting more distance between Kareem and him.
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by rapmike(m): 12:20pm On Dec 19, 2014
Kareem was in the midst of fighting the snakes off when he saw him. A figure crawling away, his shadow dancing in the approaching rain.

It was about to fall.

Kareem surged through the snake pit, crushing any unfortunate snake with impure energy. Impure energy from the wailing walls of hell. Impure energy from anger. The anger directed towards one person and one person only, Andrew.

Andrew turned back and saw Kareem moving with worrying increasing pace. He also noticed that the brave ones among the recruits had damned the snakes and moved with him. Andrew understanding the times, then stood up and started running.

The sight of Andrew running got Kareem's blood boiling beyond evaporation level. He thought of running after him, but then stopped moving and instructed his men to open fire.

So once again, bullets started to rain across the ground, even as Andrew was nearing the Faculty of Health Sciences.

1 Like

Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by stuff46(m): 3:11pm On Dec 19, 2014
festwiz:
Good so far

Okay i have arrived, so....

*looks around thread*

Where the chicks?

undecided undecided

bad guy
the waiter for the thread go fit.

Rapmike nice one
Add more tags make people show and comment. The story is good to go buh the updates but ...(GOD DE)

Onemansquad show face here. (shea you like gun come learn more on how to be a good terrorist)
techno4life,bluestarry,

make wona come join me here

1 Like

Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by Onemansquad(m): 3:49pm On Dec 19, 2014
stuff46:

bad guy
the waiter for the thread go fit.

Rapmike nice one
Add more tags make people show and comment. The story is good to go buh the updates but ...(GOD DE)

Onemansquad show face here. (shea you like gun come learn more on how to be a good terrorist)
techno4life,bluestarry,

make wona come join me here
barges in wit my medussa revolver

oga stuff i sight u
#whr d OP Sef i wnt see am
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by stuff46(m): 3:59pm On Dec 19, 2014
Onemansquad:

barges in wit my medussa revolver

oga stuff i sight u
#whr d OP Sef i wnt see am
take it easy shekau partner
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by rapmike(m): 4:36pm On Dec 19, 2014
stuff46:

take it easy shekau partner

Abeg make una do small, small before Uncle Jona come arrest me for wetin I no sabi.

Una welcome.

1 Like

Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by rapmike(m): 4:54pm On Dec 19, 2014
The sight of the building gave Andrew a lift, as he increased his pace. However, just as he thought he was going to make it alive, disaster struck.

Matches, who had gone on his own separate way suddenly appeared on the view that Andrew beheld, immediately firing a shot at his leg.

"Ah!" He shouted as more cult members came to the view. His wonderful 'vision' was now turning into a nightmare.

"Where you wan run go before? Stand up Mr Man!" Matches shouted with a lot of aggression, obviously obtained from been a street thug. Andrew laid on the floor, hope lost and fighting spirit utterly gone. He knew this was the end, because Kareem will surely kill him immediately.

A surgical knife suddenly came in view, shooting his curiosity up. Andrew wondered which careless medical student could have done this.

A brilliant, crazy idea came in his head.

1 Like

Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by rapmike(m): 5:13pm On Dec 19, 2014
He silently took the knife, somehow escaping Matches attention as he kept ranting. He now slid the knife and his hand under the body and pretended that he had fainted.

Kareem caught up with Matches and co, grinning to himself. He thought Matches had killed him off.

"Matches, carry am make I use am send message." Kareem ordered in a gale mood.

Sending message meant cutting all the person's body parts with an axe and distributing it all over campus, a note accompanying each piece or body part.

As Matches lifted Andrew up, the almost dying man quickly offered two decisive stabs at Matches body and a glancing strike at Kareem, all before he was fatally shot by a recruit. Poor Matches bled to death by the cut into his neck, while Andrew slowly remembered everyone, his soon-to-be disappointed parents and Tade, his younger brother of five years, before he departed this world.
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by LarrySun(m): 3:22am On Dec 20, 2014
Wow! What a tragic story. After escaping, he still managed to get killed. Poor Andrew. sad

Good job, Rapmike. Keep it coming.

There are some inconsistencies in your tenses, and you seem to be substituting 'been' for 'being'. Above all, you're doing a good job here.

Well done, sir.
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by rapmike(m): 3:31am On Dec 20, 2014
LarrySun:
Wow! What a tragic story. After escaping, he still managed to get killed. Poor Andrew. sad

Good job, Rapmike. Keep it coming.

There are some inconsistencies in your tenses, and you seem to be substituting 'been' for 'being'. Above all, you're doing a good job here.

Well done, sir.

Oga mi, you are back! I get problem with the use of 'been' and 'being', e dey confuse me at times.

Btw, the story never start, na Prologue be that.
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by festwiz(m): 10:58am On Dec 20, 2014
Bro. I know its hard, but your post are too short it kills the initial thrill
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by festwiz(m): 11:01am On Dec 20, 2014
rapmike:

Oga mi, you are back! I get problem with the use of 'been' and 'being', e dey confuse me at times.

Btw, the story never start, na Prologue be that.
if that one na prologue then this story go badass gan. Where the chicks and my Bailey's oga waiter?
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by rapmike(m): 4:37pm On Dec 20, 2014
festwiz:
Bro. I know its hard, but your post are too short it kills the initial thrill

Festwiz, I don explain why its like that. Am using Opera browser and when the update is a bit long, it deletes everything. So instead of getting long updates, I send nothing, which frustrates me. I have tried getting help for it to no avail. That's why its short.

P. S: am sorry for not updating since, have been a bit busy.
Re: Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. by rapmike(m): 5:23pm On Dec 20, 2014
Chapter one

It was 10.00am. A red Toyota Car was stuck in traffic along the expressway between Ibadan and Ilesha. In the car was a hopefully young fresher, aiming to succeed in his future school. His name is Tade.

Tade, an eighteen year old male student, was tall and lanky for his age. His dressing was more expressive than expected, considering he was going to study Law at the more conservative Obafemi Awolowo University in Ile-Ife, Osun state. His mind, bored stiff by the traffic issue drifted between his current location and his home.

His home was more like a house than a 'home' to him. His parents were not in talking terms at home. They may not be fighting every minute, but their behaviour around him was enough evidence that a cold war existed between them. They put on a facade outside, obviously to avoid prying eyes and running mouths, but they created an unhappy and slightly distrustful lad.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply)

Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... / Twist Of Fate. / TORN (based On A True Life Story)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.