Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,074 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:32 AM

Reuters Mocks INEC's Incompetence Over Postponed National Assembly Elections - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reuters Mocks INEC's Incompetence Over Postponed National Assembly Elections (7743 Views)

IBB Shuns Governorship And House Of Assembly Elections In Niger / Presidential, National Assembly Elections Vicious – Soyinka / National Assembly Elections, Saturday 9th April, 2011 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reuters Mocks INEC's Incompetence Over Postponed National Assembly Elections by rashmo: 7:44pm On Apr 02, 2011
CAN U IMAGINE. The electoral materials sent in most part of the North did not include the CPC LOGO. NEWS will of this will be published soon. Is this Sabotage?
Re: Reuters Mocks INEC's Incompetence Over Postponed National Assembly Elections by Nobody: 7:48pm On Apr 02, 2011
have u ever seen an election held in a jungle or forest??
Re: Reuters Mocks INEC's Incompetence Over Postponed National Assembly Elections by Rossikk(m): 7:56pm On Apr 02, 2011
al qaeda said

have u ever seen an election held in a jungle or forest??

How many have been held in the desert where you're from?

Asswipe.
Re: Reuters Mocks INEC's Incompetence Over Postponed National Assembly Elections by andyanders: 8:01pm On Apr 02, 2011
JEGA HAS FAILED AND THIS HAS SHOWN THE INCOMPETENCE OF PEOPLE WE REPOSE TRUST ON. HOW COME AFTER HE GOT ALL THE FUND HE NEEDED, HE STILL WENT AHEAD TO MESS UP. JEGA HAS NO EXCUSS TO BUTRESS HIS POINT WHY THE ELECTION COULD NOT HOLD. IN THIS COUNTRY, WE GET AWAY WITH THINGS. LET JEGA BE PUT IN PRISON. ALSO HE SHOULD BE PROBED. THIS ELECTION WAS NOT PLANNED YESTERDAY, HE SHOULD NOT COME UP ON TV TO GIVE US GARBAGE. HE TALKED TOO MUCH RATHER THAN ACTION. IT IS TIME YOU STOP APPOINTING ALL THESE SO CALLED PROFESSORS AS INEC CHAIRMAN, AS THIER BRAIN HAS BEEN OVER USED IN THE CLASSROOM, POLLUTED AND IN TOTAL MESS.
Re: Reuters Mocks INEC's Incompetence Over Postponed National Assembly Elections by EOS(m): 8:02pm On Apr 02, 2011
Jega should be totally blame in the postponement of today election. And truly, he accepted it. He suppose to know the kind of contractor is dealing with from onset. He did the same mistake during registration, and the same thing is already happening. Is it compulsory that the contractor must be an indigenous one? I think he should have gone for a competent and efficient foreign contractor instead of those with flimsy excuses.
Re: Reuters Mocks INEC's Incompetence Over Postponed National Assembly Elections by yiboboy: 8:03pm On Apr 02, 2011
rashmo:

CAN U IMAGINE. The electoral materials sent in most part of the North did not include the CPC LOGO. NEWS will of this will be published soon. Is this Sabotage?

I think GEJ is really testing providence if this is true.
Re: Reuters Mocks INEC's Incompetence Over Postponed National Assembly Elections by rashmo: 8:03pm On Apr 02, 2011
EMAIL SENT BY CPC CHAIRMAN, Read Below,

Subject: [NIgerianWorldForum] ON THE DISENFRANCHISEMENT OF THE CPC
To: nigerianworldforum@yahoogroups.com
Date: Saturday, 2 April, 2011, 16:37

Countrymen at home and Abroad,
Elections to the national assembly were put off by the INEC today because of lapses that needed attending to. We thank God that this has happened. Why? Please read this letter I wrote to the INEC today. To God be the Glory:

APRIL 2,2011

The National Chairman,
Independent National Electoral Commission,
Headquarters Office,
Abuja

Dear Sir,
MASSIVE DISENFRANCHISEMENT OF CPC VOTERS

I want to draw to your attention the information we have received from all over the country that in many constituencies, the Congress for Progressive Change (CPC) logo is not on the Ballot paper! This information has come to us from places as far apart as Ogun, Jigawa, Gombe, Anambra, Imo and Rivers States where voting seemed to have started before the announcement putting off the election was made.

2. We believe that free and fair elections include providing the opportunity for all those who have been registered to vote to do so. The absence of the CPC logo from the ballot papers means to us, a premeditated attempt to prevent our numerous supporters from voting for those they believe can bring the change they demand to their lives.

3. The embarrassing thing about this absence is that it is not national. It is selective. Why would there be the CPC logo on some ballot papers for, say, the House of Representatives election in some constituencies and it is absent in some other constituencies, even in the same state! The same story is being told of what is happening in some states with the election to the Senate.

4. Mr. Chairman, we are grateful to God that for some other reasons, the National Assembly elections were put off today. I wonder what would have happened if the elections had taken place and our supporters had complained of the exclusion of the logo of their party from the ballot papers and the security agencies had pounced on them for disturbing the peace! In our view there cannot be greater provocation and proof of an open denial of a people’s right than deliberately preventing them from exercising a right the Constitution and the laws of the land grant.

5. If this lapse is discovered now, we wonder what awaits us in other elections. As one of the fastest growing political parties in the country, obviously because of the image of its presidential candidate, General Muhammadu Buhari, it is unthinkable that if a party is left out from the ballot papers you printed for the various elections, it would be that of the Congress for Progressive Change (CPC) whose logo is the PEN.

6. Our appeal is that you ensure that in the elections you conduct and which you have promised the whole world would be free, fair and transparent, the CPC is not denied full participation. We believe elections should be won through the ballot, not in courts which have proved to have problems of their own.

7 We suggest that you conduct the presidential and national assembly elections on April 9. After all, the gubernatorial and state assembly elections will be held on the same day, April 16. Why can’t the presidential and national assembly elections be held on the same day too, for obvious reasons, including the fact that you can sort out the problem caused by the exclusion of some political parties from the ballot papers which MUST necessitate your ordering a reprint, and the fact that the banks would not have opened for stakeholders to collect money to meet their commitments to agents.

8. Failure to take to heart the suggestion of preventing chaos rather than curing it may lead to problems the rush to conduct the election on Monday April 4 may cause.

9. Please remain fully assured of our continued respect for your office and the commission you head.

Yours truly
For: CONGRESS FOR PROGRESSIVE CHANGE (CPC)

Prince Tony Momoh
NATIONAL CHAIRMAN
Re: Reuters Mocks INEC's Incompetence Over Postponed National Assembly Elections by 3kay945(m): 8:07pm On Apr 02, 2011
foreign observers will be some where now laughing while drinking saying ' i told you they are bunch of jerks  grin grin
Re: Reuters Mocks INEC's Incompetence Over Postponed National Assembly Elections by yiboboy: 8:08pm On Apr 02, 2011
They must've innocently forgot 2 include CPC's logo. GEJ just lost the last vestige of respect I had for him.
Re: Reuters Mocks INEC's Incompetence Over Postponed National Assembly Elections by efisher(m): 8:14pm On Apr 02, 2011
Is it possible that even the CPC National Chairman cannot recognize his party logo? Wahala dey oh!!!

Re: Reuters Mocks INEC's Incompetence Over Postponed National Assembly Elections by sexylogan(m): 8:14pm On Apr 02, 2011
3kay945:

foreign observers will be some where now laughing while drinking saying ' i told you they are bunch of jerks  grin grin

Lol, ,, grin
Re: Reuters Mocks INEC's Incompetence Over Postponed National Assembly Elections by 3kay945(m): 8:18pm On Apr 02, 2011
what kind of country is this
Re: Reuters Mocks INEC's Incompetence Over Postponed National Assembly Elections by oluwabamis(m): 8:26pm On Apr 02, 2011
incompetence of course, jega had all the money, and time to do a good job, but he failed. this election cant be any better than iwu's.
Re: Reuters Mocks INEC's Incompetence Over Postponed National Assembly Elections by coolpapa: 8:39pm On Apr 02, 2011
author=ekt_bear link=topic=637417.msg8039209#msg8039209 date=1301763270]
Who chose the head of INEC? Moreover, why did GEJ take responsibility for the quality of the elections to both to Nigerians and the world as a whole, if he is not ultimately responsible?

Smh @ the lack of accountability of some of you folks. No wonder naija is slow to progress, and is an international laughingstock
[quote][/quote]

You got it all wrong my dear and you stands to be corrected. GEj should not be blamed for the incompetence of the INEC. INEC is an independent body, Jega's incompetency has absolutely nothing to do with GEJ administration.

Nigeria has been in boundage for the past 48 years, no doubt. little liberation since 2009-2010 and i want to believe that this is the right time we put aside immoral sentiments and uphold honour to whom honour is due. GEJ is the only qualified presidential candidate amongst others, capable of inventing positive change in Nigeria. the hand print is on the wall and no amount of bureaucratic-norms will ridicule GEJ's position in this 2011 Nigerian presidential election. we have Just a stonethrow to the to the presidential election and the result will be out, hang on and seat tight as GEJ sweeps 32 states in Nigeria[quote
Re: Reuters Mocks INEC's Incompetence Over Postponed National Assembly Elections by dboyfams: 8:47pm On Apr 02, 2011
As if what happened to japan is
not enough. They are blaming
them for their incompetence.
Chei, Japan don suffer. japan don realy suffer
Re: Reuters Mocks INEC's Incompetence Over Postponed National Assembly Elections by softelng(m): 8:48pm On Apr 02, 2011
i am very sorry anyone that votes PDP again in this country obviously doesnt love this country
i tell you PDP has failed Nigeria, anything that happens to the Head will definitely affect the body PDP=FG who has appointed INEC who invariably has messed us up today.

Nigerians Think twice b4 casting your ballot,
Re: Reuters Mocks INEC's Incompetence Over Postponed National Assembly Elections by rashmo: 8:48pm On Apr 02, 2011
coolpapa:

author=ekt_bear link=topic=637417.msg8039209#msg8039209 date=1301763270]
Who chose the head of INEC? Moreover, why did GEJ take responsibility for the quality of the elections to both to Nigerians and the world as a whole, if he is not ultimately responsible?

Smh @ the lack of accountability of some of you folks. No wonder naija is slow to progress, and is an international laughingstock

You got it all wrong my dear and you stands to be corrected. GEj should not be blamed for the incompetence of the INEC. INEC is an independent body, Jega's incompetency has absolutely nothing to do with GEJ administration.

Nigeria has been in boundage for the past 48 years, no doubt. little liberation since 2009-2010  and i want to believe that this is the right time we put aside immoral  sentiments and uphold honour to whom honour is due. GEJ is the only qualified presidential candidate amongst others, capable of inventing positive change in Nigeria. the hand print is on the wall and no amount of bureaucratic-norms will ridicule GEJ's position in this 2011 Nigerian presidential election. we have Just a stonethrow to the to the presidential election and the result will be out, hang on and seat tight as GEJ sweeps 32 states in Nigeria[quote

SO NA U COMMOT LABOUR AND CPC LOGO COZ THATS D ONLY WAY HE CAN WIN 32 STATES. PLS SMELL D COFFEE.
Re: Reuters Mocks INEC's Incompetence Over Postponed National Assembly Elections by Eziachi: 8:54pm On Apr 02, 2011
Guys, thank your Alla that this is not Iwu's regime. Some of the elections would have gone ahead, then you can spend the next four years and money feeding the judiciary/crooked judges. This could be a blessing in disguise for the opposition.
The calculation of most in PDP before was to use the national assembly election to test the waters of rigging before the biggie on the 9th, which is more important to them than others.

But now how can INEC go into election on Monday with PCP logo missing in many places? Hence you may end up having the presidential election and the NASS elections on the same day, which is the last thing the PDP wanted, hence their recent preaching that party no longer matters but rather individual, because they knew now that the three alphabet PDP now makes people mad.
Re: Reuters Mocks INEC's Incompetence Over Postponed National Assembly Elections by mansmith(m): 8:59pm On Apr 02, 2011
i deh laugh
Re: Reuters Mocks INEC's Incompetence Over Postponed National Assembly Elections by Rossikk(m): 9:04pm On Apr 02, 2011
softelng said:

i am very sorry anyone that votes PDP again in this country obviously doesnt love this country
i tell you PDP has failed Nigeria, anything that happens to the Head will definitely affect the body PDP=FG who has appointed INEC who invariably has messed us up today.

Nigerians Think twice b4 casting your ballot

I take it the day your well-trained son or daughter messes up by joining the wrong crowd at school and flunking exams, we should heap all the blame on YOU??

Dumbasss.
Re: Reuters Mocks INEC's Incompetence Over Postponed National Assembly Elections by ghostmaile: 9:09pm On Apr 02, 2011
using the word "incompetent" to describe INEC in my opinion is just being too nice to the so-called electoral body.
Re: Reuters Mocks INEC's Incompetence Over Postponed National Assembly Elections by 9ijaMan: 9:13pm On Apr 02, 2011
I am terribly dreading the mockery I'll be facing at the office tomorrow. Nigeria we hail thee! Common election we have to sabotage it.

Fellow Nigerians, I think we all need to support the opposition parties to postpone the national assembly elections to the 23rd of April. PDP stands to gain undue advantage of the election is conducted on Monday as Jega announced earlier today.
Re: Reuters Mocks INEC's Incompetence Over Postponed National Assembly Elections by cold(m): 9:20pm On Apr 02, 2011
Better a postponement than a rigged election.But I don't see this election being held on monday,not with the complaints emanating from the opposition.In any event we still dey watch
Re: Reuters Mocks INEC's Incompetence Over Postponed National Assembly Elections by yiboboy: 9:28pm On Apr 02, 2011
cold:

Better a postponement than a rigged election.But I don't see this election being held on monday,not with the complaints emanating from the opposition.In any event we still dey watch

I'm betting rigging strategy needs be perfected, hence the need for postponement.
Re: Reuters Mocks INEC's Incompetence Over Postponed National Assembly Elections by Vigilante: 9:30pm On Apr 02, 2011
So Jega expects me to believe he's gonna fix within 2 days, something he could not do with all the time he had
Re: Reuters Mocks INEC's Incompetence Over Postponed National Assembly Elections by Ibime(m): 9:31pm On Apr 02, 2011
Any democracy that fails to correct itself by voting out non-performers (even if the alternative is poor) will only regress over time.

Our vote is meant to serve as judgement on our leaders. Even if the alternative is poor, voting against the incumbent will force them to buckle up next time. This is how democracy corrects itself. The ineptitude we've seen today is just an example of everything we've witnessed over the last few years.

Let's use our votes wisely.
Re: Reuters Mocks INEC's Incompetence Over Postponed National Assembly Elections by mboma1: 9:38pm On Apr 02, 2011
the failure of INEC to conduct elections today lies firmly on the shoulders of INEC.more than a few forumites jump at every opportunity to insult the president. this is very wrong. You can criticize people without insulting them and also proffer solutions where necessary. calling the nigerian president names will do nothing other than show ur lack of respect for your constituted authority. thankyou
Re: Reuters Mocks INEC's Incompetence Over Postponed National Assembly Elections by BabaO2: 9:46pm On Apr 02, 2011
ACN has to be watchful in Lagos  state, this planned occurrence is PDP  grand style of monitoring how the election pattern  will go in Lagos. This is a plot to enable them know how to doctor the real election results.

Jonathan should be investigated. Has he done  his own accreditation as at the time jega announced the cancellation?, if no, Nigerians should be ready to end Jonathan's rule immediately. He cant claim ignorance of this happening.
Re: Reuters Mocks INEC's Incompetence Over Postponed National Assembly Elections by 9ijaMan: 9:57pm On Apr 02, 2011
Now we are indeed the laughing stock of the entire world. This aberration will indeed get more coverage on international media than the Tsunami in Japan. Nigerians in diaspora, brace yourselves up for another horrid round of attacks from your colleagues at work/school. I'll advice you have your defense lines ready as you resume back to work/school on Sunday/Monday.
Re: Reuters Mocks INEC's Incompetence Over Postponed National Assembly Elections by raphsam: 10:19pm On Apr 02, 2011
This is more evident in the following issues

• Poorly handled registration process ranging from slow response of the DDC Machines the Late arrival of the registration materials and personnel alike coupled with short duration in which this exercise happened in some ward like ours – where volunteers like us provided power ,manpower to the INEC “Corpers” officials to enable complete the registration of teeming eligible Nigerian Voters who despite the harsh rays of the sun turned out in their large numbers queuing even when the INEC officials are not in view.

• The registered voters list display was not short of the problems experienced with the registration as it ranged from Late arrival of Materials & personnel to missing names of registered voters and misspelled names just to mention but a few. Worst still, the correction made by the voters was documented and where they are forced to document this correction they had no dedicated/designated document for making this complains officially as they could only scribble this on torn –picked sheet of paper –obviously it indicated that the complains and correction started and ended with the complainant with the promise that the correction will be effected before the election day.

• The much expected election day is here (2-Apr-11), as if Elegible Voters of Ward Unit 004 of Anfani ring road of Ibadan worst fear of disenfranchisement was going to unfold- yes it did:

1. Out of the 446 names on the INEC official’s voters list brought to the unit, only barely 20% of the names were names of the eligible registered voters from the ward.
2. It was evident that the 80% of the disenfranchised ward 004 eligible registered voters had their registration on the following days:- 16-jan-11, 17-jan-11, 18-jan-11, 19-jan-11 and scores from 20-jan-11.
In conclusion, the organization of INEC in this Ibadan-South West collation centre is poor and is short of everything to deliver a free & fair election without results compilation errors I will not be shocked if this is not connected with the missing registered voters names.
INEC boss has good ideas but lacks capability to know when it is going wrong- put it simple, he lacks Execution capability which is one of the attributes of a good leader. We must get it right now or get the wrong ones in the helms of affairs out.
For INEC officials ready to get the details of the persons affected in this ward you can provide email address or contact in Ibadan to get the hard copy of the list
Re: Reuters Mocks INEC's Incompetence Over Postponed National Assembly Elections by kulutempa: 10:23pm On Apr 02, 2011
We don't need any silly apologies from Jega.  If he has any ounce of integrity he should resign for wasting people's time and causing billions of naira worth of economic loss with his monumental cock up, and the postponement of the elections to a working day.  Why could he not have made a statement yesterday that the results sheets had still not arrived in the country and that as such the elections may have to be postponed.  The man is simply incompetent and is not up to the task given to him.   It's about time we stopped making excuses for incompetence and mediocrity in Nigeria.  We deserve better, and should not settle for anything less.
Re: Reuters Mocks INEC's Incompetence Over Postponed National Assembly Elections by cold(m): 10:33pm On Apr 02, 2011
^^resignation is out of the question.He should hang in there & clear his mess period

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

45,000 Ghost-Workers Uncovered & N100bn Saved / National Assembly Workers Threaten To Embark On Indefinite Strike / FG Reinstates Emirates’ 21 Weekly Flights

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.