Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,641 members, 7,823,820 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:01 PM

What An Unfortunate Slip Of Tongue By Gej - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What An Unfortunate Slip Of Tongue By Gej (2747 Views)

President Buhari Vs Gen Buhari:3 Unfortunate Things That Always Happen Under Him / Malpractices In Kogi, Bayelsa Elections Unfortunate, Says Buhari / Twitter User Takes Shot At Ben Bruce, Calls Him "An Unfortunate Man" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What An Unfortunate Slip Of Tongue By Gej by BetaThings: 1:09pm On Apr 03, 2011
Beaf:

Abeg, kill that CPC story!
I've never seen a party that preaches violence from one side of the mouth and plays the sobbing victim with the other. They are not the only party affected, it is across the board.

The statement is even more ridiculous when you consider that the reason for the postponement is shortage of documents due to logistics problems. Why is no other party crying wolf? Are they the only ones whose documents were affected?
This is an irresponsible post!
How did you know that not only CPC was affected?
If others were affected, how? - name and logo left out entirely or name on the ballot, but logo missing or vice versa?
And by the way, if another party is affected and they decided not to complain, why should that stop CPC from complaining
And how is CPC preaching violence? We know PDP does not want people to campaign
They are just grudgingly tolerating rallies by other parties
Re: What An Unfortunate Slip Of Tongue By Gej by Beaf: 1:13pm On Apr 03, 2011
BetaThings:

If you can provide proof that Buhari used the words lynch and kill, I will vote for GEJ

You will soon begin denying that yesterday occured:

But Buhari appeared to have allowed the frustrations of the past to get at him this time. His campaign has been much of ‘we’ versus ‘them’ stuff and he was apparently caught off guard recently during a campaign rally in Minna, Niger State, where he admonished his supporters to lynch any opponent who attempted to tamper with election results. He said in Hausa; “ku gama da shi!”

http://www.tribune.com.ng/sun/index.php/the-polity/3353-buhari-in-the-north-myth-or-reality
Re: What An Unfortunate Slip Of Tongue By Gej by BetaThings: 1:17pm On Apr 03, 2011
adino:

My people please vote wisely. There is a great influx of voters for  Durosinmi etti of the labour party because he was one of the greatest backers of a cowardly Fashola, so Oga Tinubu refused him nomination and gave his wife the senate ticket.
If only I reside in Lagos central, my vote will definitely go to labour party.
ACN has chosen to be an autocratic party just like the most feared and notorious PDP. Personally, I will vote for Ganiyu Solomon for senate (ACN), and LP or CPC for House of Rep (Faleke the ACN guy is a Thief), G.E.J for president, Fashola for Governor (I forgive the coward for refusing to decamp to LP Or any other party other than PDP) and LP or CPC for the House of Assembly.

In as much as I hate PDP, my vote is on G.E.J since Ribadu is a farce and BB though okay but will lose the election as the G.E.J vision is unstoppable.
So this is what you are doing on the net now. Spamming several threads with these silly post.
You have abused CPC elsewhere and appear to be praising them here. here you are looking for excuse not to vote CPC
All the LP people are on their way to PDP. LP is just a stopover. Orji did the same at APGA on his way to PDP
Voting LP = voting PDP. Wikileaks told us PDP has moles everywhere
Re: What An Unfortunate Slip Of Tongue By Gej by Beaf: 1:18pm On Apr 03, 2011
BetaThings:

This is an irresponsible post!
How did you know that not only CPC was affected?
If others were affected, how? - name and logo left out entirely or name on the ballot, but logo missing or vice versa?
And by the way, if another party is affected and they decided not to complain, why should that stop CPC from complaining
And how is CPC preaching violence? We know PDP does not want people to campaign
They are just grudgingly tolerating rallies by other parties

Dude, CPC guys just make a lot of noise and whine like intellectual lepers; screaming violence through one side of the mouth and sobbing victim crocodile tears out the other:

“For example, a voter at a polling booth in Lagos (Aboyade Cole/Manuwa polling booth) said the Labour Party was not on the ballot that was used there. This is an invitation to post-electoral litigation.

“In Kwara, the number of ballot papers supplied was largely inadequate, meaning that many voters would have been disenfranchised if the election had not been postponed. In several states, registered voters could not find their names on the register. In fact, at polling booth 004 in Amuwo Odofin in Lagos, less than 50 of the 720 who registered there found their names. It is therefore necessary for INEC to rectify these problems!” ACN said.

The party said Jega should take the reports from his field officials to know the exact problems with Saturday’s election, with a view to rectifying them, instead of rushing to fix a new, unrealistic date for the postponed election

http://www.independentngonline.com/DailyIndependent/Article.aspx?id=31480

Does the above sound like a problem that affected CPC alone? Rubbish.
Re: What An Unfortunate Slip Of Tongue By Gej by naijaking1: 1:31pm On Apr 03, 2011
mcgboye:

When I floated this thread yesternight, little did I envisage dis myriad of responses. I've been shocked by d quality of contributions i've received. Make no mistake. Until the last 1 or 2 months, i'd never read any topic under Politics.

Lies, lies, and more lies. You don't have pretend as if you've just landed from outer space to impress us with skewed political perspectives. Just look at your own words below to see how contradictory you sound.

The position of a president is d highest position in our country, and deserves to be occupied by the best person, in terms of education, honesty, modesty, experience and what have u. I wrote somewhere yday that i was sick of making excuses for public office holders. I really do wish him well on April 9, even though i aint going to vote for him (i simply cant afford another 4 yrs of inactivity), but most of the excuses given by his supporters smack of downright idiocy. I was in a forum late friday among my peers, and we agreed the NASS elections could hold d key to our becomin a truly democratic nation, due to checks n balances. If different parties control d legislature n executive, democracy wil be better for it.
And come to think of it, at no time did I call d president any name. I only wish he's more tactful when making public statements. He's d incumbent, so we all need him at his best. At the Lagos state rally, He is reported to have said "Lagos is too important to be left in d hands of rascals". Such statements are inexcusable!

For someone who began following events within the past few months, you have an extraordinary list of the presidents "mispeaks"

Maybe I expect too much from him, maybe i've set the bar too high. As an auditor with one of d world's Big Four, sometimes I get carried away by the high professional standard required of my profession, so anything less from public office holders is simply unacceptable for me.
RLMOF, Mr. high professional standard grin Excuse me!

In summary, his statement tells me he's got little or no regard for the legislative arm. What would he have said if it was d local govt elections that were affected? Even assuming he meant something entirely different, it still boils down to lack of tact. His office demands the highest level of caution! He should watch what he says n how he says it!
It was d same mistake he made in allowing the (very) unfortunate situation of his wife to degenerate into a national nuisance. They could have had her tutored all through d time he was deputy gov - acting gov - governor - vice pres - acting presi - president. At least 8 yrs to have discovered his wife was unfit to be a "first lady" and tactfully helped her deficiencies. Imagine if she were to have a one-on-one meeting with Michelle Obama! It's all lack of tact. And instead of making excuses for him, i wish we could all see beyond our partisanship and demand he and his team work on this very critical part of governance: public speaking.

So, you have been following this man since he was a deputy governor
Your thread is derilision of common sense, because when you couldn't find anything tangible to pin on this president, you're spending inordinate amount of time making things up, grasping straws, and forgetting that the average Nigerian tran-literates words from respective vernacular to English, sometimes causing a slight change in the original meaning or intent or even both. There's no question the president's English is heavily accented on his local vernacular, but since when did getting an 'A' in public speaking become pre-requisite for occupying the presidency in Nigeria?

As you frantically work your politics and try to confuse as many unsuspecting souls as you can, don't forget that no Nigeria leader from Tafawa Belewa to Shagari ever spoke perfect English. I tell you same thing I told Ibime, Jarus, and other anti-GEJ elements out there, until you find something meaningful, constructive, and damaging, please lay off the president, his wife, and their use of English language. It's apparent their intended audiences have no problem understanding their communication.
Re: What An Unfortunate Slip Of Tongue By Gej by mcgboye(m): 1:50pm On Apr 03, 2011
@naijaking, obviously u've got me wrong. I'll excuse d unwarranted insults and clarify. By saying until d last 1 or 2 months i havent read any topic under Politics, i only meant the politics section on nairaland. I guess that will take care of d other insults too. Every Nigerian follows politics, so i'll be telling a lie if i say i havent been following politics before now.
Overall, I shudder with disbelief d amount of insults this thread has caused. Is there a way i can delete this thread?
Re: What An Unfortunate Slip Of Tongue By Gej by monkeyleg: 1:53pm On Apr 03, 2011
This is what really gets my goose. if it was a slip of tongue, then fine. But the fact that he says that only one arm of goverment is affected is a stroke of luck it downright wrong.

What is wrong with us in this country. Why do we attribute everything to luck. This is just another case of extreme bad planning.

I have been extremely critical of Jega, and I believe rightfully so. there is no way he can explain to Nigerians that his principle task cannot be fullfilled because the key ingidients are not available. So what has he been doing.

Key questions
1: When did jega know the materials were not available
2: Who's responsibility was it to ensure that they were ready on time
3: Why did they not make the necessary checks 2 /3 weeks before the said date.
4: why did Jega wait till the date of the election to announce the postponement? Show a man not in total control
5: How come GEJ was informed so late in the process

These questions and more should be asked, and Nigerians demand answers
Re: What An Unfortunate Slip Of Tongue By Gej by AljUche: 1:54pm On Apr 03, 2011
mcgboye:

@naijaking, obviously u've got me wrong. I'll excuse d unwarranted insults and clarify. By saying until d last 1 or 2 months i havent read any topic under Politics, i only meant the politics section on nairaland. I guess that will take care of d other insults too. Every Nigerian follows politics, so i'll be telling a lie if i say i havent been following politics before now.
Overall, I shudder with disbelief d amount of insults this thread has caused. Is there a way i can delete this thread?

why should u delete a thread just because pro-GEJ people are all over

wait till the election is over and have the last laugh

people like naijaking and co are people who take joy in insult

most GEJ fan are full of insults, so it is nothing new

just ignor him wink
Re: What An Unfortunate Slip Of Tongue By Gej by Pataki: 2:59pm On Apr 03, 2011
And the pathetic clueless President has done it again! cheesy

Always an intellectual irritant to the sanity of Nigerians. A myopic reasoning clueless PhD holder.
Re: What An Unfortunate Slip Of Tongue By Gej by mansmith(m): 3:06pm On Apr 03, 2011
how can a normal thinking person call the president of this country m.m.U.A man that has Bsc,msc ,phd and a long list of experience?Na tge person be MUMU
Re: What An Unfortunate Slip Of Tongue By Gej by ziga: 5:01pm On Apr 03, 2011
@mcgboye

Welcome to Nairaland. Here, when people do not see your point of view, they resort to insults. And believe me, the only way around it is to stoop down to their level and return the insults!!!
Re: What An Unfortunate Slip Of Tongue By Gej by Kobojunkie: 5:04pm On Apr 03, 2011
mcgboye:
Every Nigerian follows politics, so i'll be telling a lie if i say i havent been following politics before now.
I just have to disagree with this bit of your post. Most Nigerians follow rumours of what is going on politics but not politics per say . . . to this day, many out there have no clue which party is which!
Re: What An Unfortunate Slip Of Tongue By Gej by naijaking1: 5:25pm On Apr 03, 2011
mcgboye:

To the extent that you feel there were insults in my reaction to your comment, I apologize, that was not intended.
What was intended was simply to make the point that in a country that has seen very violent, criminal, and dictatorial events from their presidency, poor English grammatical articulation should be the least of our problems.

Can you imagine how much bandwith has been expended criticizing GEJ's grammar, his accent, and even his wife's misprounciation of words like umbrella. To every reasonable human being out there, we all know that these issues pale in comparison to such crimes as a president retroactively changing the consitution in order to snare 3 young collage students on drug charges.

These students were murdered by Buhari on the vain excuse that he was prosecuting a war against indiscipline. At the same time, Buhari let 53 suite case of his freind which might have been containingg even more drugs pass through the airport unchecked.

Why should we even be talking about GEJ's accent when we have someone who actually brought down a democratically elected government in the mix. In reality, and by comparison, even Buhari and other contenders don't express themselves better, so why do we chose to change the topic from criminal and violent abuse of political power as exhibited by Buhari to GEJ's poor grammartical skills
Re: What An Unfortunate Slip Of Tongue By Gej by mcgboye(m): 5:29pm On Apr 03, 2011
@kobojunkie, but dont u think not knowing any party does not mean not following politics. Every Nigerian is interested in who's contesting what post, who won what election etc. It doesnt make ur politicians, but it does mean we're followers. Got my drift?
Re: What An Unfortunate Slip Of Tongue By Gej by ccchris(m): 5:37pm On Apr 03, 2011
Hey,plz nobody iz above mistake
Re: What An Unfortunate Slip Of Tongue By Gej by Kobojunkie: 5:41pm On Apr 03, 2011
mcgboye:

@kobojunkie, but dont u think not knowing any party does not mean not following politics. Every Nigerian is interested in who's contesting what post, who won what election etc. It doesnt make your politicians, but it does mean we're followers. Got my drift?

What I believe people follow more in Nigeria are RUMOURS of politics and not necessarily Politics itself. Pick up a phone and call someone in Nigeria to tell you what is going on . The Stories you hear from the other side, more often than not, leave you feeling the country is doomed because the people are on the most part, so out of touch with what is going on around them.

I told a story of how in 2007, I decided it was probably best I stop discussing politics with many of those I used to know in Nigeria so I could not loose my peace. The one lady(who holds a masters degree) I called to ask of how one could adopt a school library to donate books and stuff told me how Nigerian schools were then as great as schools in America, and how the government had finally taken to solving the problems in the education sector --- she even compared the structures of some of the schools in Nigeria with structures she claimed she saw on TV of american schools with leaking roofs. . . . I hung up the phone!!! I could not take it anymore  . . . . I didn't call back!!!

She never really saw the wonderful schools in Nigeria she was speaking of but had heard of them from some source, and concluded that meant the Goverment was doing a great job in that area. She didn't even pick up the papers to confirm her assumptions  . . . she simply concluded that all was well and so no cause for alarm. 

It is one thing to want power but another to be informed . On the most, I will say majority are not politically informed still and a lot of education is needed in that area.
Re: What An Unfortunate Slip Of Tongue By Gej by mcgboye(m): 5:52pm On Apr 03, 2011
@naijaking,
You've stil got me wrong. Pls go through my opening post, and other contributions. Nowhere did I criticise d president's mastery of english or his accent (afterall, who d hell am I, an ordinary BSc holder to critique a PHd holder!). My problem is his choice of words, especially in the full glare of d public. Pls do not forget, that as a president, he's no longer entitled to his opinion. His word must project d image of the nation. Imagine if Barack Obama were to make such statement. He would be pilloried by both Democrats n Republicans. That's d standard I want for my president, whoever he (or she) is.
Again, I did not say anything about d forthcoming elections beyond the fact that I will not vote for him. Pls ignore the temptation to compare him with the other candidates for next sat's elections on this thread, especially since it seems to precipitate further insults among supporters. There are many threads dedicated for that purpose. However, I still insist d embarrassment of d first lady has not been well managed. I learn Maryam Babangida withdrew from d public for 9 months to be "schooled". It wont be a bad idea if Patience Jonathan does d same, whether she's still in Aso Rock or not on May 30.
Re: What An Unfortunate Slip Of Tongue By Gej by 9ijaMan: 5:57pm On Apr 03, 2011
mcgboye:

@naijaking,
You've stil got me wrong. Pls go through my opening post, and other contributions. Nowhere did I criticise d president's mastery of english or his accent (afterall, who d hell am I, an ordinary BSc holder to critique a PHd holder!). My problem is his choice of words, especially in the full glare of d public. Pls do not forget, that as a president, he's no longer entitled to his opinion. His word must project d image of the nation. Imagine if Barack Obama were to make such statement. He would be pilloried by both Democrats n Republicans. That's d standard I want for my president, whoever he (or she) is.
Again, I did not say anything about d forthcoming elections beyond the fact that I will not vote for him. Pls ignore the temptation to compare him with the other candidates for next sat's elections on this thread, especially since it seems to precipitate further insults among supporters. There are many threads dedicated for that purpose. However, I still insist d embarrassment of d first lady has not been well managed. I learn Maryam Babangida withdrew from d public for 9 months to be "schooled". It wont be a bad idea if Patience Jonathan does d same, whether she's still in Aso Rock or not on May 30.

I'll advice you ignore that guy o! He types his comments with his computer upside-down and barely comprehends English. Just watch him unleash those outdated venom of his on me now!
Re: What An Unfortunate Slip Of Tongue By Gej by Coolabbie: 6:15pm On Apr 03, 2011
@mcgboye i hv gone thru dis thread & i am quite impressed wit d way u hv passed ur points across without any recourse 2 insults. Despite being insulted 4rm d ist page, u refused 2 take d same path which on NL can be hard 2 do. I wuld advice dat u quit wasting tym on some people who sim 2 hv ears 4 decorative purposes & whose brains are just dere to fill deir skulls. Thumbs up
Re: What An Unfortunate Slip Of Tongue By Gej by Larryosho: 6:19pm On Apr 03, 2011
I think u had a slip of thougt. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the statement.
Re: What An Unfortunate Slip Of Tongue By Gej by 9ijaMan: 6:22pm On Apr 03, 2011
Larry-osho:

I think u had a slip of thougt. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the statement.
Another GEJ baby saunters in. . . and makes his very first post with an insult!
Re: What An Unfortunate Slip Of Tongue By Gej by naijaking1: 6:40pm On Apr 03, 2011
mcgboye:

@naijaking,

Choice of words is a function of grammatical skills, so please let's not make circular arguements. You have a right to voice your views and opinions about GEJ as a candidate, but whether you have a right to confuse the issues?---- I don't think you have a right to do that.

Can the president improve his speaking and oratory skills, yes. Should his mastery of English language, grammar, and spontenous choice of words be the overiding factor in deciding who to vote for in 2011 Nigeria, I say absolutely no. While you can compare Obama being pilloried by opposition about using certain words, I don't think the same applies to GEJ unless he said the same thing in vernacular. Ms Jonathan may or may not need to go to school, but please undersatand that the lady has no problems communicating with 99% of her supporters, she's not trying to reach people like you or me, or other critics of vocabulary and pronounciation who make a living mocking her on this forum.
Re: What An Unfortunate Slip Of Tongue By Gej by Maximatic(m): 7:04pm On Apr 03, 2011
i like the way you talk you must be a skepttist
Re: What An Unfortunate Slip Of Tongue By Gej by cold(m): 8:57pm On Apr 03, 2011
@Mcgboye,this is just an exercise in futility.It's like telling some christians that their pastors are ripping them off.They'd rather die or maybe even kill you than believe you.I'd strongly suggest you give this a rest for your own good

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Soldiers Dug Hole To Enter Boko Haram Kingpin’s Home In Kaduna / Courtesy Visit To ABIA Governor By Pastor Kumuyi Of Deeper Life Church / Photo: Check Out This PDP Agent in Kano

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.