Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,902 members, 7,828,183 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:49 AM

My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) (90627 Views)

My Husband Has Gone To See His Side Chick's Mother / My Sister Has Gone Out Of Control / Help: My Father Is Killing My Mom Gradually (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by berryPee(m): 3:29pm On Feb 26, 2021
OP bournvita was not up to 7.0 naira as of 1984-98
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by ihesiuloa(m): 3:29pm On Feb 26, 2021
We all somehow somewhere have contributed to Nigeria's wow! From the way we behave to the way we do things, our attitude towards doing the right thing irrespect of our religious and tribal beliefs..
Until we go back to the drawing board to retrace where we went wrong, we would only continue to plunge into deeper shits as where we are now.

2 Likes

Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by Ogunleti01: 3:30pm On Feb 26, 2021
Look at the VALUE and not the Money. Nigeria's problems did not just start now
In the 60s, Dr. Victor Olaiya did a song "Ilu le o, kosowo l'ode ! Okunrin n kigbe, Obinrin n kigbe !
Onikaluku n kigbe Owo !"
translation (thing are tough in the Country, money is scarce. Everybody is wailing)...
In the 80s, King Sunny Ade did "Ebe l'abe Oba Eledumare, ko siju aanu wo Nigeria yio" meaning (we beg God
to have mercy upon Nigeria)...
In the 90s, Evang. Bayo Adegboyega sang "Ilu le koko o, Olorun wa so'lu d'ero" meaning (things are tough,
God have mercy)... So Nigeria's mirage of problems are deep rooted

1 Like

Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by Jadeng: 3:31pm On Feb 26, 2021
She has a very good handwriting o..

1 Like

Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by canalily(m): 3:32pm On Feb 26, 2021
ogashman:
1984, that was when the devil was still asleep.

now he is fully awake.

that #100 can not even get any tangible thing in Nigeria with the current standing of our economy.

what I have come to discover about Nigeria is that....prices do not obey law of gravity that anything that goes up must come down.

In Nigeria any price that goes up, will continue skyrocketing unabated.

pls check my signature for your beddings and bedding materials

that's because Nigeria price is invisible
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by generationz(f): 3:32pm On Feb 26, 2021
Now with 100 naira, you'd have to choose between two gala and tap water or just 1 bottle of lacasera. angry grin
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by hmohammed(m): 3:33pm On Feb 26, 2021
Themarkethere:
Even the handwriting speak of the joy wey dey Nigeria then.

100naira with value worth of purchase that is almost going into extinction today, bought foodstuff, provisions and provided for mama's pocket money yet there was almost 6naira to rollover.

How does a child and mother experience so wide a gap in life sight that it feels like it happened two centuries before the child was born?

This was during Buharis time. God bless Buhari

1 Like

Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by SatanicPriest: 3:33pm On Feb 26, 2021
was she earning close to 200,000 naira then? stop talking rubbish

1 Like

Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by yusluvad(m): 3:34pm On Feb 26, 2021
Hmmm. Good old days...
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by SatanicPriest: 3:34pm On Feb 26, 2021
generationz:
Now with 100 naira, you'd have to choose between two gala and tap water or just 1 bottle of lacasera. angry grin
was she earning up to 10000 naira then?
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by wonlasewonimi: 3:34pm On Feb 26, 2021
More concerned buhari was in government then and he still there.
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by BeLookingIDIOT(m): 3:34pm On Feb 26, 2021
mofedamijo:
In as much as inflation has hit Nigeria so bad. This is applicable to so many developed countries in the world.

From an economist point of view, how much was the salary then? Maybe N700, how much is salary today?? My point is, salary structure also changed. I mean, no graduate earns N700 as monthly salary today. Same way the price of flight ticket from the U.S back then to Africa used to be $150-$288, today, its around $1,000-1400. Inflation has been hitting the world and not just Nigeria, yes, Nigeria might have it rough than others and might have it better than some other nations.

To effectively calculate it and determine how bad it is, economist will try to convert that money to how much it is worth in todays market. And compare the percentage in inflation. You could rent an apartment for $120 in Newyork in the 60s, $120 wont even pay your agreement fee today in Newyork.

So before you bash Nigeria, know that this is a global phenomenon.

And for the record, N100 was a lot of money back then. That is some families monthly salary back then.
It's been three pages already and this is the first comment I've seen stating this simple point.
Most Nigerians are incredibly dull.

7 Likes

Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by coputa(m): 3:36pm On Feb 26, 2021
Themarkethere:

100naira with value worth of purchase that is almost going into extinction today, bought foodstuff, provisions and provided for mama's pocket money yet there was almost 6naira to rollover.

How does a child and mother experience so wide a gap in life sight that it feels like it happened two centuries before the child was born?

Lalasticlala, dominique please move this FP worthy thread.
Why are Nigerians still thinking with their stomach.

When there's economic growth and development,it affects all areas of human existence all over the world..

Ask yourself,are you still driving those cars and living in those houses that were in voque in the 80's.Are you still using those black and white television, things has changed

This is what we call economic growth and development and it is all encompassing

2 Likes

Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by Bmaster(m): 3:37pm On Feb 26, 2021
migeoart:
Nigeria my great country
grin

Op,I suggest you make a list of your own food items and prices now,keep it for future reference, may be 30 years ahead.

U may marvel that you wish they bring you back again to 2021.
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by Ogunleti01: 3:38pm On Feb 26, 2021
BeLookingIDIOT:

It's been three pages already and this is the first comment I've seen stating this simple point.
Most Nigerians are incredibly dull.
Nigga its like you are from Barbados! Alarifin onibaje!
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by BigBashiru: 3:38pm On Feb 26, 2021
migeoart:
Nigeria my great country

The moment the white man left in 1960 it was steady decline from then till today.
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by OgogoroFreak(m): 3:38pm On Feb 26, 2021
shocked
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by OgogoroFreak(m): 3:39pm On Feb 26, 2021
migeoart:
Nigeria my great country
She later get diabetes, abi?
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by lexy2014: 3:40pm On Feb 26, 2021
BeLookingIDIOT:

Nigeria's own can buy you more than what South Korea's won would do,does that mean Nigeria's economy is better than South Korea.

I don't no. U tell me
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by mmsen: 3:40pm On Feb 26, 2021
Don't cry about 'how far the country has gone' based on the value of the currency.

Look at the people. Look at how they have kept having children at an unsustainable rate whilst constantly crying about the government made up of people raised in the same fashion as they were.

Look at the senseless religious bigotry that Nigerians engage in.

Look at the foolish tribalism that Nigerians cling to.

1 Like

Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by CocoaOla: 3:40pm On Feb 26, 2021
Nigeria yesterday was better than today same set of leader since 1970 still in power destroying everything Nigeria is getting worse day by day

Nigerians claim to be smart but it doesn't reflect in their society and country things are getting worst every day every month every year greed corruption

Nigerians are not actually smart then 60 year of carry over failures with your huge population you cant be the best country in the world failure

Nigerians are foolish only good in destruction and corruption deceit

1 Share

Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by millomaniac: 3:43pm On Feb 26, 2021
migeoart:
Nigeria my great country
Its not about Nigeria, its about that piece of paper called fiat that have proven beyond any reasonable doubt that it does not retain value. How can it? when it is printed at will.
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by Adeesther56(f): 3:43pm On Feb 26, 2021
Corruption everywhere if not that my dad resigned from his work i wouldn't have been feeling this corruption or recession or what ever they call it. , ..,.he said he resigned out of office because of me that's so pathetic...prestige assurance plc is the name of his working place thats so pathetic....
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by VaselineCrew: 3:43pm On Feb 26, 2021
mofedamijo:
In as much as inflation has hit Nigeria so bad. This is applicable to so many developed countries in the world.

From an economist point of view, how much was the salary then? Maybe N700, how much is salary today?? My point is, salary structure also changed. I mean, no graduate earns N700 as monthly salary today. Same way the price of flight ticket from the U.S back then to Africa used to be $150-$288, today, its around $1,000-1400. Inflation has been hitting the world and not just Nigeria, yes, Nigeria might have it rough than others and might have it better than some other nations.

To effectively calculate it and determine how bad it is, economist will try to convert that money to how much it is worth in todays market. And compare the percentage in inflation. You could rent an apartment for $120 in Newyork in the 60s, $120 wont even pay your agreement fee today in Newyork.

So before you bash Nigeria, know that this is a global phenomenon.

And for the record, N100 was a lot of money back then. That is some families monthly salary back then.

Of course inflation affects every country, but it’s the magnitude of the inflation here that is under contention.

Or will you also justify Zimbabwe’s inflation?

1 Like

Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by NwaIgboBoy(m): 3:43pm On Feb 26, 2021
but now am not sure if 50k can manage to get all that stuff in that list
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by jamace(m): 3:44pm On Feb 26, 2021
berryPee:
OP bournvita was not up to 7.0 naira as of 1984-98
There was small, medium and large size tin bournvita.. She must have bought the medium or large tin,,,

Meanwhile, this list was for BIG men of those days o...

Oh, cry my beloved country, Nigeria.. cry
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by Lamasta(m): 3:44pm On Feb 26, 2021
Gone are those days seriously what we are experiencing now is an eye sore seriously
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by Queseda: 3:44pm On Feb 26, 2021
Who was the President in 1984 I want to confirm something grin
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by tofolo(m): 3:44pm On Feb 26, 2021
Themarkethere:

guess who became head of state that period and threw the economy into a mess.... angry angry angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by tofolo(m): 3:45pm On Feb 26, 2021
Queseda:
Who was the President in 1984 I want to confirm something grin
Someone occupying ASO ROCK. angry angry angry
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by Articlewritter(m): 3:45pm On Feb 26, 2021
Nano is the new crypto currency to invest that will be very high now

I Will give you a free way to earn it without investment now the price is 5$ as am talking to you

It's an app that you will download from google play store

Contact me if you are interested to it .

Remember it's free

kputalawrence@gmail.com
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by bhella10: 3:46pm On Feb 26, 2021
jabolo:
Babangida's regime (with his Structural Adjustment Program - SAP) was the beginning of the slippery slope for our great country.

Most old skool people know this.

And, to think he's chillin' on a Hilltop in Minna.
Yeah he's the bane of Nigeria.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child / He Started Smuching His Mother When He Was 4yrs Old. True Life Story / My Friend Is Sleeping With His 13-Year-Old Daughter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.