Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,159 members, 7,838,958 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 11:39 AM

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) - Agriculture (101) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) (968149 Views)

Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog / Starting A Plantain Farming. / We Help People Set Up A Poultry Farm, We Also Give Imformation On Poultry Busi' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (98) (99) (100) (101) (102) (103) (104) ... (280) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 8:35pm On Mar 06, 2015
aAK1:
boss I appreciate. The major information I need for you are once I know you are knowledgeable about. In my business plan, I propose to start with 1000 birds. I need to know how much it would much day old layers cost, cost of feeding and medications till they start to lay, amount of space needed (housing and dimension) that's all I need. With that I can do the remaining math. Pls gurus in the house you input will be appreciated

Guys, please anyone with info should please help this our brother out. My system is so unconventional that I don't have the correct info to help, and I am not into layers.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by MyHiDsDaar: 10:33am On Mar 07, 2015
dear forum members I wld like to experess my gratitude to each and every one of u for your immense contribution to the development and. growth of the Poultry. sector of he nigerian economy. honestly. the problems tabled here as well as the solutions provided by members has really saved a good number of us from great economic loss in poultry production, may God blessed each and every one of u. however l have obseverd that most of our challenges in this enterprise ie most due to not being proactive especially during the production stages. I am humbly asking experienced members to kindly assist us with. for example a guideline for. layers and broiler medication and vaccination schedule,to enable intending farmers to take the right step, eg like when and how long to use antibiotics and coccidiostat b4 vaccination, to avoid vaccine failure as well as the various drugs ,antibiotics nd vaccine to use for the two categories. of Poultry. ,thank u and may
God be with u all
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by TheShootist(m): 1:21pm On Mar 07, 2015
Is anyone here into 'brood and sales?'
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fishleg123: 1:36pm On Mar 07, 2015
my greetings goes to every farmer in d house. as I posted earlier on, my 200 black layers are now 20 weeks old.
on d 1st of March, they laid d first egg. since then, these is how they have been laying.

march 1.........1 egg.
march 2..........2 eggs
march 3..........2 eggs
march 4..........3 eggs
march.5..........3 eggs
march.6..........1 egg

is everything alright with these fowls. because I was bothered yesterday when we picked just one egg.
farmers in d house, what do u have to say.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by twoMcfemad: 8:18pm On Mar 07, 2015
@fishleg123, are your birds on grower\layer mash? What quantity are they eating? Any lighting program at night? Have you deworm\delouse them? Whats their water intake & vaccination program?
Your answers to these questions will help solve your challenge,IMO
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by AkayTopsy: 8:19pm On Mar 07, 2015
TheShootist:

Yes I do.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by TheShootist(m): 9:56pm On Mar 07, 2015
AkayTopsy:

Yes I do.

Oh, nice. Mine is in Ogun State. With increasing feed cost and even doc, i'm looking at how to ensure profitability. At what age do you sell and at what price, or should i pm you? Thanks!
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fishleg123: 6:41am On Mar 08, 2015
twoMcfemad:
@fishleg123, are your birds on grower\layer mash? What quantity are they eating? Any lighting program at night? Have you deworm\delouse them? Whats their water intake & vaccination program?
Your answers to these questions will help solve your challenge,IMO
greetings goes to every farmer in d house. as I posted
earlier on, my 200 black layers are now 20 weeks old.
on d 1st of March, they laid d first egg. since then, these
is how they have been laying.
march 1.........1 egg.
march 2..........2 eggs
march 3..........2 eggs
march 4..........3 eggs
march.5..........3 eggs
march.6..........1 egg
March 7........... 4 eggs
is everything alright with these fowls. because I was
bothered yesterday when we picked just one egg.

they eat 18-19kg of grower top feed daily. lasota and deworm/delouse had been given about 3 weeks ago. No lighting program is being use, they leave on natural light.
there is enough water for them to drink.
today makes it the 7th day that they have been laying and yet, we have 4 eggs maximum yesterday .
Experienced Farmers in d house,
IS EVERYTHING GOING ON WELL.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by grownaira: 7:07am On Mar 08, 2015
fishleg123:

march 1.........1 egg.
march 2..........2 eggs
march 3..........2 eggs
march 4..........3 eggs
march.5..........3 eggs
march.6..........1 egg

they eat 18-19kg of grower top feed daily. lasota and deworm/delouse had been given about 3 weeks ago. No lighting program is being use, they leave on natural light.
today makes it the 7th day that they have been laying and yet, we have 4 eggs maximum yesterday .

No cause for alarm bro. Some birds don't even start laying till the 24thweek.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 8:45am On Mar 08, 2015
fishleg123:

march 1.........1 egg.
march 2..........2 eggs
march 3..........2 eggs
march 4..........3 eggs
march.5..........3 eggs
march.6..........1 egg

just relax, it is natural that they lay. I think u shld change to layers mash since they are 20weeks already. I had similar prob(I wqs getjng 3 eggs frm 249birds at 20weeks),I changed to layers mash as advised by experts, now they re 24weeks and I got 45yesterday.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 8:49am On Mar 08, 2015
@ kevin96, I eventually consulted a vet on Thursday, did pm of d dead bird and u were right, he sad it was "mild newcastle" nd cholera, he treated dem on friday nd they re doing fine now. I also changed dia litters didnt knw it was due for change till d vet came around. thanks and God bless
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by kengeorge: 8:58am On Mar 08, 2015
TheShootist:

How many weeks old is brood and sell?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 1:31pm On Mar 08, 2015
@kevin,
plz share your result on gnld supergrow for poultry. did u notice any improvement on the test broilers?

@house, i heard from.unconfirmed sources that garlic helps in feed conversion to weight in broilers. has anyone tried it?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 4:28pm On Mar 08, 2015
fnk:

As I read your post, as much as I agree with you, one of your statments that jumped out at me is "Ur experiment will work..." If it will work, I will not get bored down with the "But..." Also, reading further you asked if I can imagine feeding my birds for 6 to 8 weeks to get them up to 2 kg live, my brother that is the numbers of weeks it takes me now to get to 2 kg live with zatech birds, and OBJ birds that I have bought in the past. So, if I can produce my own at that same rate, it is already an achivement, I can now continue to experiment and go from there. But remember, I will be saving on transportation and a whole lot of other incidental.
New let us see what I am already doing though, my 200 layers are 10 weeks old now, none of them died as a result of sickness just heat and stress from moving them when they were little, so, we only lost 8 birds we have a balance of 192 left. We only gave them lasota and gomboro within their first 10 days. That is it, no antibiotics, nothing else, just a mixture of... yes you know. So, withiout chemicalizing my layers, who knows their system could turn out to become like the so called breeder birds. So, introducing Cockrel that was equally raised the same way as the layer, who know, we might have invented something here.
So, guys I am not disputing what is being advised here, I am just thinking outside the box, and if it works, boy! I will be saving myself a boat load of money and that will just become another income center, and fnk breeders stock will be coming to a farm near you. Lol!

So for the experiment poppose, does anyone know the best time to introduce the Cockrel, and at what ratio? Please help. My cockrels will be 12 weeks by Thursday this week and the layers will be 11 weeks.

Bro, with the basic knowledge of genetics, birds gotten from mating cockerels and layers, will as dia parents, only attain an average of 2kg weight between 4to6 months. I believe your business model doesn't give room for such amount of time.

The broiler birds we raise today are gotten from parents stock whose growth anatomy has bn genetically engineered and modified to produce birds that grows very much faster than any other breed of birds.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 4:34pm On Mar 08, 2015
mercylicious:
@kevin,
plz share your result on gnld supergrow for poultry. did u notice any improvement on the test broilers?

@house, i heard from.unconfirmed sources that garlic helps in feed conversion to weight in broilers. has anyone tried it?

Dia is yet no proven evidence that administering garlic to broilers helps in feed conversion to weight.

However, administering garlic to broilers (or other breed of birds) has bn proven do boost the immune system of the birds. Study has shown that birds that consume garlic from day old are at much more lesser risk in contacting coccidiacis and CRD.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by sleekman(m): 4:51pm On Mar 08, 2015
@fnk There Is A Company Chi Buys Thier Parent Stock From. Cant Remember D Firms Name But I Remember They Recently Went Into A Partnership. I Just Got D Name. Aviagen. They Supply D Most Efficient Parent Stock 4 Breeding
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by kevin96(m): 5:07pm On Mar 08, 2015
justified19:
@ kevin96, I eventually consulted a vet on Thursday, did pm of d dead bird and u were right, he sad it was "mild newcastle" nd cholera, he treated dem on friday nd they re doing fine now. I also changed dia litters didnt knw it was due for change till d vet came around. thanks and God bless

i am happy you got a vet... So what drugs did he prescribed for them?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by kevin96(m): 5:13pm On Mar 08, 2015
mercylicious:
@kevin,

Are u referring to me?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by davidzfarm18(m): 6:15pm On Mar 08, 2015
fishleg123:

march 1.........1 egg.
march 2..........2 eggs
march 3..........2 eggs
march 4..........3 eggs
march.5..........3 eggs
march.6..........1 egg
I will not advice you to change their feed yet to layers mash. Pls ensure you have you have note than 5% laying.
One of the reason for what you are experiencing is uniformity in growth.
another reason is the season the birds come into lay. this period if you are in the north. the peak afternoon temperature will not allow the birds to consume enough food. you will need to do extensive study on lightening schedule for laying birds.
for now, give them enough vitamins and feed them early in the morning by 5:30am. this will assist them to eat in the cooler part of the day

2 Likes

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 8:00pm On Mar 08, 2015
kevin96:

its a vetinary clinic, he just mixed dem,it was injection..one for fowl cholera anoda for mild newcastle.I hope it works well. he also told me to put embazin forthe in dia water cos of cholera which they get after drinking water which has feaces.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 8:05pm On Mar 08, 2015
Dis heat period is dealing with abuja farmers. The weather is hot . There is drop in production with drop in egg size too.Also many farms are experiencing high mortality. I can wait for this heat period to pass.

** I will install AC to help regulate d temp**lol grin grin
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 8:07pm On Mar 08, 2015
kevin96:

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 8:15pm On Mar 08, 2015
jamp:
Dis heat period is dealing with abuja farmers. The weather is hot . There is drop in production with drop in egg size. Also many farms are experincimg high mortality. I can wait for this heat period to pass.

bro, don't u think installing fans in your pen will help?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 8:20pm On Mar 08, 2015
TheLight001:

bro, don't u think installing fans in your pen will help?

u are right. That is what we are planning for d next heat period. I might not be able to do it now cos of the cost implications.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 8:24pm On Mar 08, 2015
jamp:

u are right. That is what we are planning for d next heat period. I might not be able to do it now cos of the cost implications.

alryt. wishing u all s best
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by aAK1(m): 8:50pm On Mar 08, 2015
Kevin96. Please I really need to speak with you. It's urgent. Please send your contact to Adebayoadeolu5@gmail.com
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 8:52pm On Mar 08, 2015
kevin96:

Are u referring to me?
yes.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Bishiie(m): 9:14pm On Mar 08, 2015
Hire me as your livestock farm administrator/ manager / consultant ....... Sure you will be glad its a wise idea

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by tabontabon: 5:09am On Mar 09, 2015
Ok,you are hereby hired,report to nairaland agridesk and start making contributions.
Bishiie:
Hire me as your livestock farm administrator/ manager / consultant ....... Sure you will be glad its a wise idea

2 Likes

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 6:08am On Mar 09, 2015
Give your birds feed grade vitamin C. Inclusion rate in this hot weather is abt 300 to 400g per ton of feed. It will give you a good result.
jamp:
Dis heat period is dealing with abuja farmers. The weather is hot . There is drop in production with drop in egg size too.Also many farms are experiencing high mortality. I can wait for this heat period to pass.

** I will install AC to help regulate d temp**lol grin grin
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Judithume(f): 8:53am On Mar 09, 2015
Pllssas I need help.my layers are killing me softly. Initially they were giving me 5 crates or 6 but now its 3 crates. What could be the cause .they look healthy. I ve given lasota n even dewormed them stool.nothing..I intended selling them off this season if they don't improve.

(1) (2) (3) ... (98) (99) (100) (101) (102) (103) (104) ... (280) (Reply)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.