Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,753 members, 7,824,162 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:36 AM

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) - Agriculture (100) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) (966287 Views)

Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog / Starting A Plantain Farming. / We Help People Set Up A Poultry Farm, We Also Give Imformation On Poultry Busi' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (97) (98) (99) (100) (101) (102) (103) ... (280) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by condi1704(m): 1:29am On Mar 04, 2015
davidzfarm18:
cost of day old: #120=120,000
brooding for 1000 pullets: #30000
Chick Trays: #3000
Chick Mash for 8 weeks 1.8kg @ #96 /kg=172,800
grower 8-20wks 6.8kg@ #80/kg=544,000
drugs and vaccine including administration : 150,000
water :#50,000.
salary and wages: 120.000
Feeders and drinkers: 80:000
pls what vaccines will take a whole of 150k? I am worried.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by mozek24: 5:40am On Mar 04, 2015
Good morning guys,

This has been n inspiring thread, thanks for the ops, major contributors and silent readers like me.

I have finally made up my mind to invest in poultry in a rented pen. I intend to do broilers 5-7wks old. I intend to run strictly as biz. I intend to do batches of 1000 at 6wks.

Is there market for this venture in Benin City
How profitable is this venture
What is the cost and expected profit for a batch of 1000 (a breakdown will be appreciated)

Thank you
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 6:59am On Mar 04, 2015
davidzfarm18:
cost of day old: #120=120,000
brooding for 1000 pullets: #30000
Chick Trays: #3000
Chick Mash for 8 weeks 1.8kg @ #96 /kg=172,800
grower 8-20wks 6.8kg@ #80/kg=544,000
drugs and vaccine including administration : 150,000
water :#50,000.
salary and wages: 120.000
Feeders and drinkers: 80:000

this ur figure is scary.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by kevin96(m): 9:08pm On Mar 04, 2015
jamp:

this ur figure is scary.

very very scary
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by kevin96(m): 9:24pm On Mar 04, 2015
mozek24:
Good morning guys,
This has been n inspiring thread, thanks for the ops, major contributors and silent readers like me.
I have finally made up my mind to invest in poultry in a rented pen. I intend to do broilers 5-7wks old. I intend to run strictly as biz. I intend to do batches of 1000 at 6wks.
Is there market for this venture in Benin City
How profitable is this venture
What is the cost and expected profit for a batch of 1000 (a breakdown will be appreciated)
Thank you

were in benin are you? I am in benin too, maybe we can discuss about this facially but meanwhile the cost of raising a broiler from day old to seven weeks should not be more than 600naira and you can get 2.5kg above and 1.8 -2kg is sure after dressing . I also tink there is good market for it.I know more about broilers, i have been into it for sometime now....but i have not started the 7weeks thing , although i am planing on it...... You said u are starting with 1000 birds, is that not too much? i will advise u start it on a low key..

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 9:34pm On Mar 04, 2015
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by davidzfarm18(m): 9:50pm On Mar 04, 2015
@Jamp and Kevin96.
In arriving at the figures. i took cognizance of starters & people without prior experience and equipment. I also calculated the cost of raising the birds to 24 weeks should there be delay in laying.
However. for the experience farmers in the house 800,000 to 850,000 will be enough to raise the birds to point of lay.
Vaccination. the cost covers the cost of procuring the vaccine and paying the vet that will administer it.
to vaccinate against Mareks,komorov, Fowl pox, Fowl typhoid, fowl cholera, Coryza, debeaking, and 3 in 1 will cost 90,000 to administer .

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by aAK1(m): 7:43am On Mar 05, 2015
Please guys I need your help with the size of pen required to raise 1000 birds (layers)
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by davidzfarm18(m): 10:24am On Mar 05, 2015
ATTENTION FARMERS.
I HAD EARLIER INFORM THE HOUSE OF AN HATCHERY THAT IS AT THE MOMENT DOING EXCELLENTLY. I AM NOT MARKETING FOR THEM BUT IT WILL HELP NEWBIES A GREAT DEAL.
I KNOW OF TWO BIG FARMS IN MASAKA NASARAWA STATE THAT STOCK FROM MAX FARM. THE GOOD NEWS IS THAT UP TILL 16 WEEKS. THEY BIRDS HAVE NOT BEEN INTRODUCED TO ANY FORM OF MEDICATION AND MUCH MORE SUPRISING IS THAT THEY ARE LAYING AT WK 16.

2 Likes

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 11:46am On Mar 05, 2015
pls what is d best antibiotics to use for ma laying birds, is anicilin good enuf
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by davidzfarm18(m): 11:56am On Mar 05, 2015
justified19:
pls what is d best antibiotics to use for ma laying birds, is anicilin good enuf
what sign did you notice. are they sick or u just want to give the antibiotics for prevention
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by kevin96(m): 12:18pm On Mar 05, 2015
aAK1:
Please guys I need your help with the size of pen required to raise 1000 birds (layers)

with 30ft by 60ft u are good to go.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 12:21pm On Mar 05, 2015
davidzfarm18:

what sign did you notice. are they sick or u just want to give the antibiotics for prevention
they ar sick, for d past one week I will meet at least one or two lying helpless after isolating dem, nd giving dem drug dey become normal, bt it is reoccurring even met one dead dis morning. av dewormed dem already.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by kevin96(m): 12:24pm On Mar 05, 2015
justified19:

please if at all u want to use an antibiotics for laying birds , it is either u add vitamins to it or better use the ones that has vitamins....eg neotreat, neoceryl, keproceryl, neo oxy egg formula etc
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 12:26pm On Mar 05, 2015
kevin96:

please if at all u want to use an antibiotics for laying birds , it is either u add vitamins to it or better use the ones that has vitamins....eg neotreat, neoceryl, keproceryl, neo oxy egg formula etc
,I used anicilin dis morning, shld I just switch to neoceryl? cos I was told to repeat for 5 or 7days after which I wld vaccinate dem. is neoceryl good for sick birds?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by kevin96(m): 12:28pm On Mar 05, 2015
justified19:
they ar sick, for d past one week I will meet at least one or two lying helpless after isolating dem, nd giving dem drug dey become normal, bt it is reoccurring even met one dead dis morning. av dewormed dem already.

wen was d last time u gave dem vaccince and wat vaccine was it? Are you doing ur lasota regularly? What drugs have u been using on the sick ones? Are u close to a vet? I will advise u take one dead one for PM.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 12:32pm On Mar 05, 2015
I did lasota last 6weeks, was suppose to do it dis week bt cant vaccinate since some are sick, don't know lab in ib to do pm, went to animal care bt they dont do test.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by kevin96(m): 12:36pm On Mar 05, 2015
justified19:
I did lasota last 6weeks, was suppose to do it dis week bt cant vaccinate since some are sick, don't know lab in ib to do pm, went to animal care bt they dont do test.

i think ur birds are down with newcastle...before i tell u wat to do pls answer this question....
How is ur production? How are the egg size? Ve u noticed shelless eggs lately?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 12:43pm On Mar 05, 2015
kevin96:

i think ur birds are down with newcastle...before i tell u wat to do pls answer this question....
How is ur production? How are the egg size? Ve u noticed shelless eggs lately?
I av 246 and they re 22weeks, I get 35eggs a fay. I had 37yesterday, I experienced shelless eggs last week, 2 bt av nt experienced lately. d size are ok,nt too big though.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by kevin96(m): 12:50pm On Mar 05, 2015
justified19:
I av 246 and they re 22weeks, I get 35eggs a fay. I had 37yesterday, I experienced shelless eggs last week, 2 bt av nt experienced lately. d size are ok,nt too big though.

okay place dem on neoceryl with gumbocine for five days. Then after which u give dem vitamin for a day before doing ur lasota. They are going to be fine.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by tabontabon: 12:51pm On Mar 05, 2015
Why not give full details of the hatchery like address,phone,contact person and website.
davidzfarm18:
ATTENTION FARMERS.
I HAD EARLIER INFORM THE HOUSE OF AN HATCHERY THAT IS AT THE MOMENT DOING EXCELLENTLY. I AM NOT MARKETING FOR THEM BUT IT WILL HELP NEWBIES A GREAT DEAL.
I KNOW OF TWO BIG FARMS IN MASAKA NASARAWA STATE THAT STOCK FROM MAX FARM. THE GOOD NEWS IS THAT UP TILL 16 WEEKS. THEY BIRDS HAVE NOT BEEN INTRODUCED TO ANY FORM OF MEDICATION AND MUCH MORE SUPRISING IS THAT THEY ARE LAYING AT WK 16.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 12:51pm On Mar 05, 2015
kevin96:

okay place dem on neoceryl with gumbocine for five days. Then after which u give dem vitamin for a day before doing ur lasota. They are going to be fine.
please, will I add d neoceryl and gumborine togeda jn same water for dem?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by tabontabon: 12:54pm On Mar 05, 2015
Why not give full details of the hatchery like address,phone,contact person and website.
davidzfarm18:
ATTENTION FARMERS.
I HAD EARLIER INFORM THE HOUSE OF AN HATCHERY THAT IS AT THE MOMENT DOING EXCELLENTLY.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by kevin96(m): 12:57pm On Mar 05, 2015
justified19:
please, will I add d neoceryl and gumborine togeda jn same water for dem?

yes use the gumbocine and neoceryl together.. Use it according to the usage instruction so that it might be effective...goodluck
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 1:03pm On Mar 05, 2015
kevin96:

yes use the gumbocine and neoceryl together.. Use it according to the usage instruction so that it might be effective...goodluck
thanks,
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by davidzfarm18(m): 5:28pm On Mar 05, 2015
justified19:
The same drug you give to the isolated ones that made them recover will be just fine for all before you vaccinate.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by aAK1(m): 6:17pm On Mar 05, 2015
kevin96:

with 30ft by 60ft u are good to go.
I appreciate. Remain blessed
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by obnelly: 10:14pm On Mar 05, 2015
davidzfarm18:
@Jamp and Kevin96.
In arriving at the figures. i took cognizance of starters & people without prior experience and equipment. I also calculated the cost of raising the birds to 24 weeks should there be delay in laying.
However. for the experience farmers in the house 800,000 to 850,000 will be enough to raise the birds to point of lay.
Vaccination. the cost covers the cost of procuring the vaccine and paying the vet that will administer it.
to vaccinate against Mareks,komorov, Fowl pox, Fowl typhoid, fowl cholera, Coryza, debeaking, and 3 in 1 will cost 90,000 to administer .

You pay too much for your vet in Benin.to vaccinate a bird is 3-5 naira I can even inject those birds by myself.how much are you going to sell your eggs if this people don't chop your money finish even before you chicken start laying.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by obnelly: 10:28pm On Mar 05, 2015
Eggcelent:
pathology. The whole idea of using battery cages is just to conserve the birds' energy which they then transmute into producing more eggs. It also ensures in prevention and transmission of certain diseases such as coccidiosis. Similarly, it reduces costs of labour. However, there is higher tendency of rickets (weak leg bones) in birds kept in cages. This often happen at the tail end of the laying period, especially if their feeds isn't calcium-fortified.

You are very correct some european countries have started fighting against raising chickens in battery cages.New technologies are evolving by the day. Hopefully one day we will be able to think ahead of this people.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by IcingHoney(m): 5:31pm On Mar 06, 2015
For fear of disease outbreak, I prefer fish farming, and the labour involved is very little compared to poultry[/quote]
u are right man
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by davidzfarm18(m): 6:18pm On Mar 06, 2015
obnelly:

You pay too much for your vet in Benin.to vaccinate a bird is 3-5 naira I can even inject those birds by myself.how much are you going to sell your eggs if this people don't chop your money finish even before you chicken start laying.
in FCT and environs, they charge you 10 naira flat rate
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 8:32pm On Mar 06, 2015
condi1704:
well science is all about trial. Let your cockerel be 24 weeks and hen about 20 weeks old before mating. You can mate at ratio 1 to 10. Although I know the result. However, let's see maybe urs will be different. I am following.

Pleas share ooo,Mehta was your result? Like you said it about trial and from there one can learn. Thanks for the making info though.

(1) (2) (3) ... (97) (98) (99) (100) (101) (102) (103) ... (280) (Reply)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.