Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,058 members, 7,838,687 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 07:59 AM

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) - Agriculture (99) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) (968136 Views)

Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog / Starting A Plantain Farming. / We Help People Set Up A Poultry Farm, We Also Give Imformation On Poultry Busi' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (96) (97) (98) (99) (100) (101) (102) ... (280) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 1:12pm On Mar 01, 2015
brownskingirl:
I gave dem 1 n 1/2 bag daily. But I don't understand d, 16hours of light.

By 16hrs I mean number of light daily both natural anf artificial. Let's assume ur day break at 6am. The natural light will last from 6am-6pm ie 12hrs, u need to provide additional light using generator/phcn from 6pm to 10pm.

The extra light helps to stimulate the birds sexual organs. Once you start giving them extra light u must sustain it else there will be significant drop if u stop.

also the birds are doing about 60% @ 26wks which is not bad. Give them time they will all pick up.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by brownskingirl(f): 1:33pm On Mar 01, 2015
jamp:

By 16hrs I mean number of light daily both natural anf artificial. Let's assume ur day break at 6am. The natural light will last from 6am-6pm ie 12hrs, u need to provide additional light using generator/phcn from 6pm to 10pm.

The extra light helps to stimulate the birds sexual organs. Once you start giving them extra light u must sustain it else there will be significant drop if u stop.

also the birds are doing about 60% @ 26wks which is not bad. Give them time they will all pick up.

Thanks so much.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by davidzfarm18(m): 6:23pm On Mar 01, 2015
@ FNK. ur idea is brilliant.
However, I stand to be corrected. the broilers we have today are PDT of scientific research spanning several decades. vYou will quite agree with me that we have 6wks broilers. 8wks BX, 12wks BX. irrespective of how you feed 8wks BX, they will never give u 2kg live weight in 6 wks. that's the problem some of us have with the hatcheries. ur experiment will work but you may end-up with prolong feeding which in the long run may not give u competitive advantage. imagine feeding ur birds with 6:8 kg of feed to achieve 2kg live weight.
in good climate the experiment may give u more bulk since ur eggs will be sold at More than twice the normal egg prize.

2 Likes

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Tmex(m): 11:36pm On Mar 01, 2015
davidzfarm18:
However, I stand to be corrected. the broilers we have today are PDT of scientific research spanning several decades. vYou will quite agree with me that we have 6wks broilers. 8wks BX, 12wks BX. irrespective of how you feed 8wks BX, they will never give u 2kg live weight in 6 wks. that's the problem some of us have with the hatcheries. ur experiment will work but you may end-up with prolong feeding which in the long run may not give u competitive advantage. imagine feeding ur birds with 6:8 kg of feed to achieve 2kg live weight.
in good climate the experiment may give u more bulk since ur eggs will be sold at More than twice the normal egg prize.
well Saïd davids, considering there genetic make up i think its wrong to introduce birds of same parents for thé hatchering because of thé effect of inbreeding , inbreeding is not only wrong in human . Thé best bet is to get à good parent stock.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fishleg123: 7:13am On Mar 02, 2015
Good morning farmers in d house. Glory be to God in d highest. my fowls have started laying. we saw 2 eggs yesterday.
Now, what are d necessary dos and don'ts we have to be observing to enhance their best performance.
Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by tabontabon: 10:27am On Mar 02, 2015
*Ensure they have adequate supply of clean water & clean environment.
*deworm and vaccinate(lasota) them as at when due.
*ensure they eat adequately.
*egg laying imposes a lot of initial stress,watch out for any signs of sickness/odd behaviours and take prompt action.
*avoid/minimize stress factors.
CONGRATS! How many weeks are they?
fishleg123:
Good morning farmers in d house. Glory be to God in d highest. my fowls have started laying. we saw 2 eggs yesterday.
Now, what are d necessary dos and don'ts we have to be observing to enhance their best performance.
Thanks.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by AK123(m): 11:52am On Mar 02, 2015
Hello house,please I need an idea on d cost of serological tests in zygosis ibadan thanks
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 12:05pm On Mar 02, 2015
davidzfarm18:

As I read your post, as much as I agree with you, one of your statments that jumped out at me is "Ur experiment will work..." If it will work, I will not get bored down with the "But..." Also, reading further you asked if I can imagine feeding my birds for 6 to 8 weeks to get them up to 2 kg live, my brother that is the numbers of weeks it takes me now to get to 2 kg live with zatech birds, and OBJ birds that I have bought in the past. So, if I can produce my own at that same rate, it is already an achivement, I can now continue to experiment and go from there. But remember, I will be saving on transportation and a whole lot of other incidental.
New let us see what I am already doing though, my 200 layers are 10 weeks old now, none of them died as a result of sickness just heat and stress from moving them when they were little, so, we only lost 8 birds we have a balance of 192 left. We only gave them lasota and gomboro within their first 10 days. That is it, no antibiotics, nothing else, just a mixture of... yes you know. So, withiout chemicalizing my layers, who knows their system could turn out to become like the so called breeder birds. So, introducing Cockrel that was equally raised the same way as the layer, who know, we might have invented something here.
So, guys I am not disputing what is being advised here, I am just thinking outside the box, and if it works, boy! I will be saving myself a boat load of money and that will just become another income center, and fnk breeders stock will be coming to a farm near you. Lol!

So for the experiment poppose, does anyone know the best time to introduce the Cockrel, and at what ratio? Please help. My cockrels will be 12 weeks by Thursday this week and the layers will be 11 weeks.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by davidzfarm18(m): 1:17pm On Mar 02, 2015
fishleg123:
Thanks.
Congrats. and all praise to God.
The Rules.
1. avoid anything that will stress the birds like debeaking, moving them to a new house, giving injectible vaccines and changing feeds abruptly.
2. Ensure you give them enough multivitamins.
3. gradually change the feeds to layer mash.
4. you need to do extensive study on the lightening regime for laying birds. this is to increase their consumption over the next couple of weeks to about 112grams per day.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 8:31am On Mar 03, 2015
what are d imolications of injectin laying birds, cos I consider doing komorof for ma laying birds soon.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Eggcelent(m): 9:33am On Mar 03, 2015
justified19. Some people say the stress resulting from administering the injectable vaccines will negatively impact on production rate which may be permanent. However, from my personal experience, and the opinions of 2 experienced hands in my area, I hold that this isn't entirely true.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by davidzfarm18(m): 9:49am On Mar 03, 2015
justified19:
what are d imolications of injectin laying birds, cos I consider doing komorof for ma laying birds soon.
If the birds have reached peak production, it could lead to a sharp decline which you may not achieve again. pls mind the word MAY. if however, they have not reached peak %, you can give.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by davidzfarm18(m): 10:14am On Mar 03, 2015
fishleg123:
Thanks.
Once again congratulation.
pls at what age on weeks did you pick the 1st egg? are they on deep litters or cage and what brand of feeds are you using.?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by pathology(m): 10:28am On Mar 03, 2015
which one is better for layers, battery cage or deep litters. candid response is welcomed
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by afosoft: 10:38am On Mar 03, 2015
Tmex:
are thé white birds broilers or cockerel?

Broilers
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 12:22pm On Mar 03, 2015
justified19:
what are d imolications of injectin laying birds, cos I consider doing KOMOROV for ma laying birds soon.
U shud have done that b4 they start laying. Since it's now like this, go ahead and inject. Give them Amin'total 3 days before and 3 days after vaccinating. Don't worry much about drop in production, worry about Newcastle diseases causing 50% mortality, more or less.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by adebayoseun: 2:14pm On Mar 03, 2015
Hello All,
Please approximately how much would it cost to raise 500 layers from day old to POL per month.
Considering:
1. Price of each point of lay
2. Number of bags of feed per month and price
3. Cost of Vaccination per month.
4. Cage to house 500 birds

Thanks in anticipation of your kind response
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by kevin96(m): 3:11pm On Mar 03, 2015
adebayoseun:
Hello All,
Please approximately how much would it cost to raise 500 layers from day old to POL per month.
Considering:
1. Price of each point of lay
2. Number of bags of feed per month and price
3. Cost of Vaccination per month.
4. Cage to house 500 birds
Thanks in anticipation of your kind response

Raising 500 pullets till pol will cost u 500k..this includes all vaccines, medication, feeds and buying of the doc..

Automatic battery cages will cost u about 400k while the manual type will cost u 250k , all for 500 birds space.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Tmex(m): 3:33pm On Mar 03, 2015
afosoft:

Broilers
you ll need to improve on your management.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by adebayoseun: 4:31pm On Mar 03, 2015
kevin96:

Raising 500 pullets till pol will cost u 500k..this includes all vaccines, medication, feeds and buying of the doc..

Automatic battery cages will cost u about 400k while the manual type will cost u 250k , all for 500 birds space.

Hi Kevin96

Thanks for the info.
But are you sure about this values because i am currently drawing out a business plan and i have over double that figure i.e from DOC to POL (20 weeks estimation), N1,172,600.00

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by segun1976: 5:03pm On Mar 03, 2015
adebayoseun:

Hi Kevin96

Thanks for the info.
But are you sure about this values because i am currently drawing out a business plan and i have over double that figure i.e from DOC to POL (20 weeks estimation), N1,172,600.00

Does this N1.7m include acquisition of land, building of pen and other fixed assets.

If so, the this is no longer just the cost of raising from DOC to POL.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fishleg123: 5:09pm On Mar 03, 2015
davidzfarm18:

Once again congratulation.
pls at what age on weeks did you pick the 1st egg? are they on deep litters or cage and what brand of feeds are you using.?

i got. d 1st egg when they are 19weeks old. they are on deep litter and I use top feed. also they are black
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by adebayoseun: 5:38pm On Mar 03, 2015
segun1976:

Does this N1.7m include acquisition of land, building of pen and other fixed assets.

If so, the this is no longer just the cost of raising from DOC to POL.

No, there is available land already and Pen house. All that i will need is just the caging
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Eggcelent(m): 5:53pm On Mar 03, 2015
adebayoseun. The estimates given you above are just right ceteris paribus.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Eggcelent(m): 5:57pm On Mar 03, 2015
pathology. The whole idea of using battery cages is just to conserve the birds' energy which they then transmute into producing more eggs. It also ensures in prevention and transmission of certain diseases such as coccidiosis. Similarly, it reduces costs of labour. However, there is higher tendency of rickets (weak leg bones) in birds kept in cages. This often happen at the tail end of the laying period, especially if their feeds isn't calcium-fortified.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by adebayoseun: 5:59pm On Mar 03, 2015
Eggcelent:
adebayoseun. The estimates given you above are just right ceteris paribus.

Thanks Guys.

I really appreciate
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by adebayoseun: 6:06pm On Mar 03, 2015
adebayoseun:

Thanks Guys.

I really appreciate

Find attached my budget analysis. I guess i over estimated most of it.

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by davidzfarm18(m): 6:20pm On Mar 03, 2015
fishleg123:

i got. d 1st egg when they are 19weeks old. they are on deep litter and I use top feed. also they are black
that's remarkable. just keep managing them well and remember the above
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by aAK1(m): 6:49pm On Mar 03, 2015
fnk:

The last time filed out a grant form was several years ago when I was in school, so I have no idea how. Also I am a go at your own pase kind of guys. but if the grant is free money, then by all means take it and build your farm with it.
boss I appreciate. The major information I need for you are once I know you are knowledgeable about. In my business plan, I propose to start with 1000 birds. I need to know how much it would much day old layers cost, cost of feeding and medications till they start to lay, amount of space needed (housing and dimension) that's all I need. With that I can do the remaining math. Pls gurus in the house you input will be appreciated
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 10:38pm On Mar 03, 2015
davidzfarm18:

If the birds have reached peak production, it could lead to a sharp decline which you may not achieve again. pls mind the word MAY. if however, they have not reached peak %, you can give.
they av nt reached peak, they are 246 and 22 weeks, d most av got is 34eggs a day. thanks
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by davidzfarm18(m): 10:58pm On Mar 03, 2015
cost of day old: #120=120,000
brooding for 1000 pullets: #30000
Chick Trays: #3000
Chick Mash for 8 weeks 1.8kg @ #96 /kg=172,800
grower 8-20wks 6.8kg@ #80/kg=544,000
drugs and vaccine including administration : 150,000
water :#50,000.
salary and wages: 120.000
Feeders and drinkers: 80:000

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by condi1704(m): 1:26am On Mar 04, 2015
fnk:

As I read your post, as much as I agree with you, one of your statments that jumped out at me is "Ur experiment will work..." If it will work, I will not get bored down with the "But..." Also, reading further you asked if I can imagine feeding my birds for 6 to 8 weeks to get them up to 2 kg live, my brother that is the numbers of weeks it takes me now to get to 2 kg live with zatech birds, and OBJ birds that I have bought in the past. So, if I can produce my own at that same rate, it is already an achivement, I can now continue to experiment and go from there. But remember, I will be saving on transportation and a whole lot of other incidental.
New let us see what I am already doing though, my 200 layers are 10 weeks old now, none of them died as a result of sickness just heat and stress from moving them when they were little, so, we only lost 8 birds we have a balance of 192 left. We only gave them lasota and gomboro within their first 10 days. That is it, no antibiotics, nothing else, just a mixture of... yes you know. So, withiout chemicalizing my layers, who knows their system could turn out to become like the so called breeder birds. So, introducing Cockrel that was equally raised the same way as the layer, who know, we might have invented something here.
So, guys I am not disputing what is being advised here, I am just thinking outside the box, and if it works, boy! I will be saving myself a boat load of money and that will just become another income center, and fnk breeders stock will be coming to a farm near you. Lol!

So for the experiment poppose, does anyone know the best time to introduce the Cockrel, and at what ratio? Please help. My cockrels will be 12 weeks by Thursday this week and the layers will be 11 weeks.
well science is all about trial. Let your cockerel be 24 weeks and hen about 20 weeks old before mating. You can mate at ratio 1 to 10. Although I know the result. However, let's see maybe urs will be different. I am following.

(1) (2) (3) ... (96) (97) (98) (99) (100) (101) (102) ... (280) (Reply)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.