Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,038 members, 7,838,599 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 06:17 AM

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) - Agriculture (98) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) (968126 Views)

Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog / Starting A Plantain Farming. / We Help People Set Up A Poultry Farm, We Also Give Imformation On Poultry Busi' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (95) (96) (97) (98) (99) (100) (101) ... (280) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 9:39am On Feb 28, 2015
fnk:

when you say meet their terms and conditions, please what does that mean? I will be needing breeders for broiler.

@fnk, i trust you can do this. you may even turnout to be better than chi and other producers. Try to search videos on you tube and browse online. With the way you think, you might be hitting another goldmine. If they cant sell you breeders, import! south africa comes to mind for the importation.

The doc we buy here are not labelled chi or amoo.it was when i came online that i knew the names of d coy for the first time.

fish farmers spawn their fishes, pig farmers do same. It is possible for poultry farmers to learn and be better than the known names.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Apitch(m): 9:44am On Feb 28, 2015
mercylicious:

@fnk, i trust you can do this. you may even turnout to be better than chi and other producers. Try to search videos on you tube and browse online. With the way you think, you might be hitting another goldmine. If they cant sell you breeders, import! south africa comes to mind for the importation.

The doc we buy here are not labelled chi or amoo.it was when i came online that i knew the names of d coy for the first time.

fish farmers spawn their fishes, pig farmers do same. It is possible for poultry farmers to learn and be better than the known names.
TRUEST TRUE!
U just said my mind, I strongly believe he(fnk) would do a better job than the big shots
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by aAK1(m): 10:50am On Feb 28, 2015
fnk:
Hello my people, I need some info on a new project that I am working on. I bough 200 layers 10 weeks ago and they are doing well, I want to use them as parent stock and will like to know from the house how to go about that, what to feed them and went, do I introduce male chicken to them what what male chicken, a cocrel? I also have about 200 11 weeks cocrel in the farm. I actually want to buy an incubator and just hatch for my self. It will really mitigate my electrical cost since while I am brooding my day olds and can be hatching another set of 1000 chicks with the same electrical cost. take away transportation to Ibadan, mortality from travel stress and the flunctuation of the price of the day old in the market, all this can reduce my overhead and increase my profit margin giving me the room to compete. I am seriously hiting the sales outlet and have bunch of eateriesand supermarkets lined up now to waiting for us to be suppling them, but some of our challenges had always been our price comparing it with the big guys out there. These outlet likes the taste and look of our chicken, but wants me to reduce from my N680/kg to 650/kg that they buy from the other guys. If I can do what I explained above, I can save myself some of this overheads and be able to compete. We have two outlets now that their combined demand is over 1500 birds per week, so even if my take home is N20/bird after all the overheads are taken care of, it is still not a bad deal, and this is just from two outlets and we still have a few more in our pool of customers. And I know milling my own feeds will really help reduce the overhead.

So guys, please I need help with info on this parent stock deal, I have no clue how to go about it yet or have not bordered about it till now.

Thanks guys.
Hello boss. When getting your Incubator remember your boys ooo. We sell Incubators. To also add to what some people have already told you, after getting your breeders, you have to get equipments for artificial insemination. You won't be introducing male birds at all.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by aAK1(m): 10:53am On Feb 28, 2015
Hello fnk, farmtec and Co. I need your numbers. I'm applying for a grant and I really need help feeling the form.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 11:15am On Feb 28, 2015
Oga fnk, do u want doc pullets or doc broilers for ur farm. Some year back I produced my doc broilers using layers, cockrel and local fowls (for hatching). They were big and strong. U can do it if your plan is for meat production ie broilers.
it depends on what u want.

2 Likes

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by afosoft: 11:58am On Feb 28, 2015
laposta:

Is it a nylon covering you have on the shed at the back in the first pic?

Yes it is nylon.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by afosoft: 12:02pm On Feb 28, 2015
mercylicious:
@asoft, how were u able to get a farm manager? is he on fixed pay?

I was lucky to get him around and he is on fixed pay of 20k per month.. but i takecare of transportation to the farm.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by afosoft: 12:17pm On Feb 28, 2015
Hello house,

I visited the farm and I was amazed at the chicken growth. I feel they are doing well at 5weeks.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Tmex(m): 1:03pm On Feb 28, 2015
afosoft:
Hello house,

I visited the farm and I was amazed at the chicken growth. I feel they are doing well at 5weeks.
are thé white birds broilers or cockerel?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 3:27pm On Feb 28, 2015
aAK1:
Hello fnk, farmtec and Co. I need your numbers. I'm applying for a grant and I really need help feeling the form.
You can contact me on facebook thru my sig line.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by stevecrown(m): 7:18pm On Feb 28, 2015
@farmtech pls HW can u post d signature sit
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by stevecrown(m): 7:20pm On Feb 28, 2015
@farmtech sori can u pls post d signature
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by stevecrown(m): 7:52pm On Feb 28, 2015
hello oux am just a young aspiring farmer who is trying to gader some info from all my ogas in d oux in other not to make a very simple mistake.pls I want to rear a doc100 broilers so i want u my ogas to help me wit d necessary tins I need to know abt d vaccine from d day I bought them,and d weight it must attain before it can b sold and who to sell to.I would b very grateful if u guyz can teach like d teacher does to d student. tanks once again all comments would be highly appreciated
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Trueigbo: 8:32pm On Feb 28, 2015
Hello house. When is d right time to change from chick mash to growers?
Is it at 2months or by body weight?
If by body weight, what is the target body weight for changing to growers.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 10:07pm On Feb 28, 2015
stevecrown:
@farmtech sori can u pls post d signature
Signature is the link you see below my posts.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 10:54pm On Feb 28, 2015
Trueigbo:
The best is to base it on body weight. There is a chart where you can get how much feed and estimated body weight for layers. You can see it here: Feed consumption Plan and Body Weight Target for Laying Hens

2 Likes

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by davidzfarm18(m): 10:57pm On Feb 28, 2015
Trueigbo:
The standard here in Nigeria is 8weeks. the standard body weight by then shd be close to .67 kg. however its difficult to meet up with this
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 11:17pm On Feb 28, 2015
pls pple, I need a good vet doctor in ibadan. preferably close to iwo road.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by brownskingirl(f): 8:16am On Mar 01, 2015
How can I make my layer to lay more. Am just a starter. My birds r 350 n at @26weeks dey r producing 5 crates. Wat went wrong. Cause it gvn me headache. I use top feed phase one. Nid advice plssssss.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 8:40am On Mar 01, 2015
@afosoft,
how many staff do u have and is anyone living in the farmhouse in d poultry?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 8:46am On Mar 01, 2015
afosoft:

I was lucky to get him around and he is on fixed pay of 20k per month.. but i takecare of transportation to the farm.

Can he drive? if he can, get him a bike. You only spend money on fueling it. If your capacity is much, u can get a van. it will also assist u in distribution of your products.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 9:01am On Mar 01, 2015
[quote author=mercylicious post=31161802]

fish farmers spawn their fishes, pig farmers do same. It is possible for poultry farmers to learn and be better than the known names.[/quote

Thank you, I have actually started checking online, but buying what is available and researching with it should be the way to go, and without preseasure start my own production. I know a Ghanaian who imports his from Houston. Thank you again for your believe in me.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 9:08am On Mar 01, 2015
Apitch:

TRUEST TRUE!
U just said my mind, I strongly believe he(fnk) would do a better job than the big shots

For what everyone of us is doing head, guys we all hold the As. we all just need to keep pushing the envelop and thinking outside the box.
As the government raves about the Agriculture section, I don't know that they include us here in their data, so, the numbers might even be higher than they know.

Any ways, carry go guy!
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 9:13am On Mar 01, 2015
aAK1:
Hello boss. When getting your Incubator remember your boys ooo. We sell Incubators. To also add to what some people have already told you, after getting your breeders, you have to get equipments for artificial insemination. You won't be introducing male birds at all.

Are your incubators locally made? or imported? what sizes do you have? Are you in Lagos? I have contact to get it from China or even a used one from the U.S. So comparing prices will be the deal breaker.

What about inroducing male to the birds, that seems to me like the better organic way to go. I just de talk my own ooo.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 9:16am On Mar 01, 2015
aAK1:

The last time filed out a grant form was several years ago when I was in school, so I have no idea how. Also I am a go at your own pase kind of guys. but if the grant is free money, then by all means take it and build your farm with it.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 9:24am On Mar 01, 2015
davidzfarm18:

The standard here in Nigeria is 8weeks. the standard body weight by then shd be close to .67 kg. however its difficult to meet up with this

that means we change the feed based on body weight @.67kg. Is this possible?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 9:39am On Mar 01, 2015
jamp:
Oga fnk, do u want doc pullets or doc broilers for ur farm. Some year back I produced my doc broilers using layers, cockrel and local fowls (for hatching). They were big and strong. U can do it if your plan is for meat production ie broilers.
it depends on what u want.

Ok, you are saying exactly what I was ignorantly trying to do, before I started getting educated here bout the right way to breed.

So I have about 200 layers, that I bought from Choice farm, and nother 200 Cockrel from Zatch. my Cockrel are free range, and without thinking too much about it, I just want to mix the cockrels and the layers together in the same pen, and let the mating begins, So, I pick the eggs stick them in an incubator, and watch what happens 21 days later. Yes, I am using them for meat, as I explained I have all these eateries requesting for me to supply them birds and for some my challenge is competing with the price that they can get it from the big guys, So, I think that if I can hatch for myself, and mill feed for myself, I can reduce my cost of production and have a wiggle room to compete.

So, yes, it is for broilers, and I was thinking about doing exactly what you said that you've already done in the past. So, could you share more light. How many DOC did you produce? and this is with just regular layers, but instead of feeding them with layers march, you just feed them eight starter or growers marsh, and let the guys (cockrels) mate with them and they lay and this eggs should be incubatable. ( is that a currect english, incubatable?)
Coulpe months ago, I had my 14 to 16 weeks broilers, they were huge and the male among them was mating with the females, and though they were not layers, nor were they feed with layers marsh, they were laying eggs, though they eggs came in different sizes, crazily some eggs had 2 and 3 yokes inside, don't ask me how that happened, the eggs were huge. So, has anyone else done the same thing that we are talking here. and did it work? from the mouth of two or three witnesses shall the truth or the possibility be establish.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 10:47am On Mar 01, 2015
Oga fnk, I was an undergraduate when I did that. It was during one long strike by ASUU. I decided to experiment that. I had about 2-3 layers with one big Cockerell. I gave them growers feed.They mated, produced eggs and I took the eggs to local chicken for hatching. After 21 days I got big doc, bigger than the normal doc.

They grew very well without the normal vaccine we give thess days.

after the strike was called off. I went back to school leaving the birds in d hands of my dad and 2 boys staying with us.

I lost them due to the carelessness of the boys. Their feed finished and they gave them finisher meant for the big broilers we had. Then it was the pelleted feed(i beleive the feed chooked them).Before my dad returned the chicks were already dead. It pained me but I know the experiment was a success.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 11:00am On Mar 01, 2015
Hello house, Please does anybody here know a farm where I can get between 3000 to 5000 broilers @ either 5wks or 6wks old. I will prefer the farm to be in southwest region. Thank you.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by brownskingirl(f): 11:25am On Mar 01, 2015
Guess nobody is here to help :😢😱😟😞😳
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 11:53am On Mar 01, 2015
brownskingirl:
How can I make my layer to lay more. Am just a starter. My birds r 350 n at @26weeks dey r producing 5 crates. Wat went wrong. Cause it gvn me headache. I use top feed phase one. Nid advice plssssss.

how many kg of feed do u give them daily
do u give them 16hrs of light daily
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by brownskingirl(f): 12:52pm On Mar 01, 2015
I gave dem 1 n 1/2 bag daily. But I don't understand d, 16hours of light.

(1) (2) (3) ... (95) (96) (97) (98) (99) (100) (101) ... (280) (Reply)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.