Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,475 members, 7,830,390 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:52 PM

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) - Agriculture (31) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) (967088 Views)

Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog / Starting A Plantain Farming. / We Help People Set Up A Poultry Farm, We Also Give Imformation On Poultry Busi' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) ... (280) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by latestsunny(m): 8:15pm On Mar 14, 2013
I'm so happy this trend is alive again........kip it up guys. I hope u pple won't abandon ds trend leta wen u start making money lik dose dt startd it?

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by MarcoP: 1:05pm On Mar 15, 2013
@ Omotititi.
What production system is your friend who owns the 500 birds farm using? Battery cage or deep litter?
If deep litter, can you pls share with us some of his management/challenges/experience using deep litter.
As you know, cost of cage is a big challenge for many start up farmers.
Cheers.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by laposta: 5:32pm On Mar 15, 2013
kunle_j:

for broilers.
gumboro 8days
lasota 15days
2nd dose gumboro 21days
2nd dose lasota 27days

i hope you are satisfied with this?

Thanks a bunch. It sure does
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by omotititi: 8:32am On Mar 18, 2013
@Marco-p.....My friend is using deep litter system.He started the farm after loosing his job with of the banks last year.He gives the birds maximum attention and he keeps their environment clean.One striking thing about this chap is that since he started,he has been giving these birds from day old his own comppounded feeds till now.He just gave d business is all and the birds responded well by shitting d golden eggs.Do you know that this is his first time ever.This has opened my eyes to the fact that anything one puts himself into completely....success is the only posible outcome.

I marvel at his love for the birds,he prays for them every night before going home as if they r his kids and they too have returned d love by been healthy and productivity.He is such an inspiration no doubt.

6 Likes

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by MarcoP: 9:17am On Mar 18, 2013
omotititi: @Marco-p.....My friend is using deep litter system.He started the farm after loosing his job with of the banks last year.He gives the birds maximum attention and he keeps their environment clean.One striking thing about this chap is that since he started,he has been giving these birds from day old his own comppounded feeds till now.He just gave d business is all and the birds responded well by shitting d golden eggs.Do you know that this is his first time ever.This has opened my eyes to the fact that anything one puts himself into completely....success is the only posible outcome.

I marvel at his love for the birds,he prays for them every night before going home as if they r his kids and they too have returned d love by been healthy and productivity.He is such an inspiration no doubt.

@ Omotititi.
Very inspiring report about ur friend. I asked because I've read comments that seem to suggest that deep litter does not yield as much egg as cages. But this guy's evidence seemed to prove that wrong. I think its all about hyiegene management.
Your friend is a smart guy. If I had started my farm d moment I lost my job Jan last year I would have invested my 3.5 m savings into it on a larger scale. Sadly I gradually ate up all d savings thinking I would soon get a better job. Nigeria!!!
My email is austeen247@gmail.com. I will appreciate if your friend can share his feed formula and any other helpful info to assist me.
God bless you.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by obnelly: 1:00pm On Mar 18, 2013
marco p,sorry about your job.please if your interest is not in poultry please dont attempt it because you might lose than you can imagine .Every business has its own ups and downs.Good to here that that fella was doing great but ask him he will tell you the bad news in the business.
My advice is do what you like doing best,not what your friends are doing best.If you have invested the 3.5 wisely you would have been smilling to the banks by now but all the same choose what you like best and invest their,doing look at the money but first develop interest and the result is money money money, lol grin
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by MarcoP: 5:05pm On Mar 18, 2013
obnelly: marco p,sorry about your job.please if your interest is not in poultry please dont attempt it because you might lose than you can imagine .Every business has its own ups and downs.Good to here that that fella was doing great but ask him he will tell you the bad news in the business.
My advice is do what you like doing best,not what your friends are doing best.If you have invested the 3.5 wisely you would have been smilling to the banks by now but all the same choose what you like best and invest their,doing look at the money but first develop interest and the result is money money money, lol grin

Please read my post well.
I wasn't asking for advice as to whether to go into poultry or not. Of course I'm already running my small farm in my backyard. I'm not doing it because others are into it. Its a business I'm fully committed to. The only regret is that I started rather late, after loosing some cash in other ventures. I'm only trying to compare notes with d other guy in view of my planned expansion.
Thanks for ur comment all d same.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by akonucheinfo(m): 1:14am On Mar 19, 2013
Marco-P :

@ Omotititi:
Congratulations on your achievement so far.
It is true that Zartech is fully booked till July. This is not surprising, because their DOC are reputed to be among d best in Nigeria. I will advise you to be patient and wait.
I only received my 200 DOC I booked with them since December 2012 just recently, 4th March 2013.
Although my Vet contributed to d delay as he didn't go to collect them in d last week of Jan when he was asked to come.
My chicks are in their 2nd week and doing well with 0% mortality.
I will appreciate if u can share with us d dimension of ur farm, capacity and cost of construction. I need d info because I plan expanding from my backyard farm to a bigger project soon.
Find attached photos of my birds and farm.
All the best.

========================

hi i also intend to start with a backyard capacity. is this your first stock, though could not see the pic. please share with me. what was your experience at the start. another tin how much does your vet charge you and for how long do you need the vet around.? tnx
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by akonucheinfo(m): 1:19am On Mar 19, 2013
how much does it take to start a backyard scale layers farm?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by MarcoP: 10:13am On Mar 19, 2013
akonucheinfo: how much does it take to start a backyard scale layers farm?

You will need an experienced Vet all thru your farming season, beginning from planning your farm site (be it backyard or large scale commercial).

This is my first time in poultry. I involved a Vet from day 1, in deciding location, design and construction. Yet I didn't pay any service fee except transport fare during each visit. I buy feed and medication from my Vet, I pay for vaccination. Its about relationship. Your Vet may be different.

You can negotiate cost of visits with him. Importantly, let him teach you how to manage your farm. Only things like vaccinations will need to be handled by him.

Cost will depend on the number of birds you want to raise. The quantity may also be determined by available budget.
Most importantly, you must have 100% time to take care of the birds especially during the first 6 weeks. I hope I have bn able to answer ur queries.
Good luck.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by obnelly: 2:01pm On Mar 20, 2013
Rat in your pen could be dangerous,pls take care of your investment by chasing rats away from yoùr pen house.rats are ominivorous animal they feed on grains and even chicken flesh.I lost a chick recently and it really make me fill too bad because those birds were doing great.1071 in total now left with 1062.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by igbonla(m): 8:52pm On Mar 20, 2013
ussyman:

Omotiti I wish all the best and am really encourage. Just keep us posted.

And for your DOC don't go anywhere apart from Zartech.

We would be very happy if you can share with us the updates on your new farm!

Best.

I would say don't go any where apart from Ajanla farms! There are lots of them now, you should interview people that buys from the hatcheries regularly not the one off folks. Some of the diseases are death sentences once the chicks have them (e.g. Marek). Good home work is required..
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by igbonla(m): 8:58pm On Mar 20, 2013
jites: moreeeeee pictures from Ussyman, Thanks Ussyman for sharing these lovely pictures with us.

Don't mean to be a spoiler but this is not a good pen for the birds, at best, you will get 1 or 2 years of good/average performance from the birds before the bacteria load and stress from the environment become too much for the birds.

A good pen must have the 4 sides free of obstruction like a wall blocking an entire side of the pen, the wall disrupts good airflow necessary to keep birds healthy. The pen is best used as a brooding house.
Doing it right the first time has lots of benefits..
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by akonucheinfo(m): 10:23pm On Mar 20, 2013
Marco-P :

You will need an experienced Vet all thru your farming season, beginning from planning your farm site (be it backyard or large scale commercial).

This is my first time in poultry. I involved a Vet from day 1, in deciding location, design and construction. Yet I didn't pay any service fee except transport fare during each visit. I buy feed and medication from my Vet, I pay for vaccination. Its about relationship. Your Vet may be different.

You can negotiate cost of visits with him. Importantly, let him teach you how to manage your farm. Only things like vaccinations will need to be handled by him.

Cost will depend on the number of birds you want to raise. The quantity may also be determined by available budget.
Most importantly, you must have 100% time to take care of the birds especially during the first 6 weeks. I hope I have bn able to answer ur queries.
Good luck.

tnx. though still doesnt satisfy my question. ok, how many birds will a standard room size pen contain?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by akonucheinfo(m): 10:26pm On Mar 20, 2013
which is better for a starter. rare from a day old layer or stock point of lay?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by soloniger(m): 12:28am On Mar 21, 2013
were can i get point of lay birds in kano, please assist. asywudil@yahoo.com is my email.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by sp2002(m): 10:03pm On Mar 21, 2013
akonucheinfo: which is better for a starter. rare from a day old layer or stock point of lay?
stocksome point of lay and after stability in laying, you stock day old chicks so that you can raise the day old birds with less or no financial stress. for more info contact
SP2002 POULTRY AND LAND CONSULTANCY
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by akonucheinfo(m): 10:12pm On Mar 21, 2013
sp2002: stocksome point of lay and after stability in laying, you stock day old chicks so that you can raise the day old birds with less or no financial stress. for more info contact
SP2002 POULTRY AND LAND CONSULTANCY

tnx, plz how many birds (point of lay) will a one room size pen contain?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by sp2002(m): 7:06am On Mar 22, 2013
akonucheinfo:

tnx, plz how many birds (point of lay) will a one room size pen contain?
if they are to be on the floor, it can contain 20 - 30birds but if you can use cage,the one room- size pen will contain one-set of cage and a set of cage can accomodate 90 to 120birds
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by adeyemis: 12:24pm On Mar 22, 2013
Please I want to buy DOC layers (1,500) but cant wait for long to get it out from chi farm. I need a reliable person who can get it out ASAP for me. My farm is in ibadan. Thanks
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by omotititi: 12:21pm On Mar 28, 2013
Poultry farmers.....Please can anyone help me to fast tack the supply/purchase of either DOCs or Point of lay for my farm.I have finished the construction of my small farm at home and I have been unable to get DOCs or POLs to stock.It is really weighing me down and I need help.I want the stock from reliable and tested source.

Any support would be greatly appreciated.I need about 500 or 600 of either DOCs or POLs at the best of prices.

Thank you.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by TRAVELISGOOD: 2:09pm On Mar 28, 2013
contact me>>>>08055110332

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by lekank: 9:39pm On Mar 30, 2013
CONSTRUCTED CHICKEN HOUSE FOR RENT... SPACE FOE EXPANSION... WATER AND ELECTRICITY AVAILABLE...PIN 30FC66CF OR CALL 08032588307... LOCATED AT IKOTUN... ABARANJE TO BE PRECISE...CAN TAKE UP TO 100 BIRDS

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by MarcoP: 1:34am On Apr 02, 2013
omotititi: Poultry farmers.....Please can anyone help me to fast tack the supply/purchase of either DOCs or Point of lay for my farm.I have finished the construction of my small farm at home and I have been unable to get DOCs or POLs to stock.It is really weighing me down and I need help.I want the stock from reliable and tested source.

Any support would be greatly appreciated.I need about 500 or 600 of either DOCs or POLs at the best of prices.

Thank you.

@ Omotititi.
Hope u are doing well? Have you been able to get ur DOC or POL out of Zartech?
If u still need assistance fast tracking it, then send me a mail so I can link you up: aosuma@yahoo.com
Cheers.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by omotititi: 8:04am On Apr 08, 2013
@Marco-p...good morning and how are you and your farm.I spoke to the Vet doctor and he has been quite helpful and I will follow-up with him today.Thank you for your support.Pease,can we talk on phone...08063970498.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by egbuchee: 12:45am On Apr 11, 2013
Pls house, where can i go get good POLs?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by kaybest1: 10:52am On Apr 11, 2013
house anybody with idea of those that buy broilers in large quantity for processing
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by ussyman: 2:23pm On Apr 22, 2013
Hello guys below are some of the our farm LIVE statistics that I promised to send when our birds reach the point of lay.

* Total no of day-old bought: 514
* Total no of birds at point of lay(POL): 503
* Total no of brooding months: 5 months
* Total operating cost: N593,560
* Total fixed cost: N469,360
* Total no of feeds used to the POL(bags): 167
* Total cost of feeds: N342,320 (60% of operating cost)
* Total cost of medication(vaccination,med,& Vit): N69,280 (12% of operating cost)
* Total weight of feeds consumed per bird at POL: 8.2KG
* Total cost of birds at POL: N1,260 (inclusive of 10% fixed cost, prorated)

I hope this would go along way to help new prospective farmers with an idea on the setup.

I want to say hi to all my friends on this blog especially Jides, Steel5800, Omotiti, Marco-p and the rest.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by omotititi: 7:56am On Apr 23, 2013
@ussyman....welldone.Impressive.I like your statistics.Hope they have started laying the golden eggs.Wish you success all the way.I have eventually booked for 500 POLs with Animal Care and they will be ready in August at 16weeks .So am patiently waiting for that time.It is better for me to pick POLs cos I dnt hv plenty time to start with DOCs in August because I want to see my golden eggs this year by the grace of God.

Welldone all poultry farming enthusiasts,lets keep the fire burning.The top is for us all.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by ussyman: 3:10pm On Apr 23, 2013
omotititi: @ussyman....welldone.Impressive.I like your statistics.Hope they have started laying the golden eggs.Wish you success all the way.I have eventually booked for 500 POLs with Animal Care and they will be ready in August at 16weeks .So am patiently waiting for that time.It is better for me to pick POLs cos I dnt hv plenty time to start with DOCs in August because I want to see my golden eggs this year by the grace of God.

Welldone all poultry farming enthusiasts,lets keep the fire burning.The top is for us all.

Golden eggs....hahaha! That's really the best name! Yeah, they have started and are even taken care of their feeds now, around 70% capacity at the moment.

I would like to know that your arrangement. Does that mean Animal Care would manage your DOC until they get to 16 weeks or is it someone else? What did you really paid for: POL or DOC? If its POL who take the risk of 16 weeks period in case of mortality (God forbid)?

Thank you
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by omotititi: 4:12pm On Apr 23, 2013
I have deposited cash for 500 POLs and they will be supplied to me in August at 16weeks old by Animal Care.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Tayeni(m): 12:42am On Apr 25, 2013
I've noticed over 80% of poultry farmers here r into layers. why d low interest in broilers. I know they always target festive periods but pple still eat chicken in between these periods now.abi? A trip to a frozen foods shop is a proove. Am I just being naïve?

(1) (2) (3) ... (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) ... (280) (Reply)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.