Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,260 members, 7,829,521 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:26 AM

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) - Agriculture (34) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) (966971 Views)

Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog / Starting A Plantain Farming. / We Help People Set Up A Poultry Farm, We Also Give Imformation On Poultry Busi' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) ... (280) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by maxibrainz: 8:04pm On Jun 02, 2013
Airtel unlimited Gigabyte is now available if you need it send your request to my email maxibrainz55@gmail.com. Also if you need the etisalat unlimited browsing that works on PC,phone and other gadget which you can also use to ping on your blackberry phone send your request, the MTN magic sim settings which you can use to browse and download unlimitedly on PC or phone is also available.
Just forward your request to my email maxibrainz55@gmail.com

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 7:25am On Jun 03, 2013
My people dis poultry biz dey chop moneyoo. The house for d chick is costing us a lot.

I want to know the number of chicks a 30ft by 70ft house can contain(ie width is 30ft while the length is 70ft)
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by makinde3: 7:35am On Jun 03, 2013
@jamp it should contain between 2300 to 3000 or more depending on the environment control in place (chickens of 2kg)
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Casta: 9:05pm On Jun 03, 2013
Casta: @FNK please send a copy of your findings to obed4wonders@yahoo.com. I have read through the various post on this tread, they are quite intresting and motivating. I have made up my mind to venture into poultary farming.

Thanks and God bless.

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 9:43pm On Jun 03, 2013
makinde3: @jamp it should contain between 2300 to 3000 or more depending on the environment control in place (chickens of 2kg)

Thanks bro. Is there a standard measurement for that(deep litter)? I intent to use cage system in future as dt would contain more chicks(layers)
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by maxibrainz: 6:30am On Jun 04, 2013
Get the Etisalat magic sim
settings which you can use
to browse and download
unlimitedly both on phone
and PC.You can also use it
to ping on your Blackberry
phone,take note when you
are configuring the etisalat
magic sim settings you
don't need to subscribe for
any etisalat BIS plan. so it
does not involve using BIS
as many people thought.
Airtel unlimited gigabyte is
also available so if you
need it send your request
to my email maxibrainz55@
gmail.com
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by kellykelly: 1:03pm On Jun 04, 2013
How did you arrive at 2,300 to 3,000 birds as being suitable for a 70ft by 30ft penhouse?

Standard spacing for mature birds is max of 3 birds/sq meter. Using this guide, a 70ft x 30ft pen-house can accomodate approx 700 birds.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 5:02pm On Jun 04, 2013
kellykelly: How did you arrive at 2,300 to 3,000 birds as being suitable for a 70ft by 30ft penhouse?

Standard spacing for mature birds is max of 3 birds/sq meter. Using this guide, a 70ft x 30ft pen-house can accomodate approx 700 birds.

the width is 30ft while the lenght is 70ft
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by makinde3: 5:48pm On Jun 04, 2013
The number of birds per sqaure meter depends on the control of the climatic conditions in the house, Although chicks can start at a density of 40 birds/m2, the stocking density in kg liveweight/m2 at killing time will determine stocking density.
In naturally ventilated houses, a stocking density of 25kg liveweight/m2 should not be exceeded. In well managed environmentally controlled houses, a maximum of 30-35kg liveweight should be considered.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by n0m0705(m): 6:51pm On Jun 04, 2013
Keziehenry: Between turkey and broiler Which one is more preferable to go into
Turkey is much more profitable than broiler chicken, the only problem is how to source for the market, because of the high price of turkey people will rather buy chicken than turkey. So if you know you can get enough market for the turkey, it is a gold mine.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Keziehenry(m): 9:47pm On Jun 04, 2013
n0m0705:
Turkey is much more profitable than broiler chicken, the only problem is how to source for the market, because of the high price of turkey people will rather buy chicken than turkey. So if you know you can get enough market for the turkey, it is a gold mine.
tnx a lot
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by MarcoP: 12:54am On Jun 05, 2013
maxibrainz: Get the Etisalat magic sim
settings which you can use
to browse and download
unlimitedly both on phone
and PC.You can also use it
to ping on your Blackberry
phone,take note when you
are configuring the etisalat
magic sim settings you
don't need to subscribe for
any etisalat BIS plan. so it
does not involve using BIS
as many people thought.
Airtel unlimited gigabyte is
also available so if you
need it send your request
to my email maxibrainz55@
gmail.com

NOBODY needs it. Kindly take your SCAM elsewhere.
This forum is for serious-minded people/business.
You can share ur code to ur family members.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 8:12am On Jun 05, 2013
Marco-P :

NOBODY needs it. Kindly take your SCAM elsewhere.
This forum is for serious-minded people/business.
You can share ur code to ur family members.

nice one
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by MarcoP: 1:09pm On Jun 05, 2013
jamp: My people dis poultry biz dey chop moneyoo. The house for d chick is costing us a lot.

I want to know the number of chicks a 30ft by 70ft house can contain(ie width is 30ft while the length is 70ft)

Congrats on your progress. Poultry is capital intensive but you will reap the dividend if properly managed.
Now to your question on capacity: if you multiply 30ft by 70ft, you get 2,100 sq ft. The standard capacity for deep litter is 2.5 sq ft/adult bird (layers).
Divide 2100 by 2.5 = 840.
It means the maximum number of birds you can rear to adult stage in your pen is 840. However, if you are using cage the space should be able to accommodate between 1,000 and 1,200.
I will advise you stock less than your capacity as a beginner, say about 500.
I hope this helps. Good luck.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by unilorin: 1:31pm On Jun 05, 2013
my layers are 4 weeks old today and i intend to sale them off, because i just got a job and i wont be able to have their time from next week.i bought the birds from zartech in ibadan and have given them the necessary medication, feed them with top feed starter.i am in lagos state.make an offer now.....my contact : 08055110332 jideocean@yahoo.com

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 9:11pm On Jun 08, 2013
Hello people. My DOC will soon be coming home. Pls I want to know how many stove and laterns I need for their warmth as we don't ve electricity in the farm.they are 1,000 chicks
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 4:27pm On Jun 09, 2013
jamp: Hello people. My DOC will soon be coming home. Pls I want to know how many stove and laterns I need for their warmth as we don't ve electricity in the farm.they are 1,000 chicks
Somebody answer me
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by MarcoP: 5:31pm On Jun 09, 2013
jamp: Hello people. My DOC will soon be coming home. Pls I want to know how many stove and laterns I need for their warmth as we don't ve electricity in the farm.they are 1,000 chicks

I think you will needd to invest in a small generator (I pass my neighbour) cause your chicks will need 24 hours light for the first 7 days or so.
So you will need to run your gen over-night for a few days. (I used inverter when I was brooding my birds).
After then you can begin to use lanterns to privide light, ensure you hang them with wire from the roof to avoid fire disaster.
You will need about 6 lanterns.
You will need 4 charcoal stoves, but you must provide wire mesh to protect the stoves to avoid your chicks roasting themselves in the fire.
Ensure close monitoring and regulation of warmth, its important.
Good luck.

NB: how much did you spend on your pen construction, and any cost-saving startegies. I'm hoping to expand soon. You can share with us here or inbox me: austeen247@gmail.com.
Cheers!

2 Likes

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 3:47pm On Jun 10, 2013
[quote author=Casta][/quote]

Sent
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by confluence: 4:36pm On Jun 10, 2013
my broilers doing fine

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 8:12am On Jun 11, 2013
Marco-P :

I think you will needd to invest in a small generator (I pass my neighbour) cause your chicks will need 24 hours light for the first 7 days or so.
So you will need to run your gen over-night for a few days. (I used inverter when I was brooding my birds).
After then you can begin to use lanterns to privide light, ensure you hang them with wire from the roof to avoid fire disaster.
You will need about 6 lanterns.
You will need 4 charcoal stoves, but you must provide wire mesh to protect the stoves to avoid your chicks roasting themselves in the fire.
Ensure close monitoring and regulation of warmth, its important.
Good luck.

NB: how much did you spend on your pen construction, and any cost-saving startegies. I'm hoping to expand soon. You can share with us here or inbox me: austeen247@gmail.com.
Cheers!

one of the cost saving strategy is to use old zinc or aluminum. i bought aluminum zinc from a person who wants to renovate his 3 bedroom bungalow. i always look out for such instead of buying new ones
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Casta: 8:49am On Jun 11, 2013
[quote author=Casta][/quote]
Thanks very much FNK I got the document.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Rzq4: 10:07am On Jun 11, 2013
Thanks fnk, i got d doc
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 5:00pm On Jun 11, 2013
Rzq4: Thanks fnk, i got d doc

I am getting ready to start my own journey into this venture, fenced out the land in the Lekki area, got the design for the living quarters of the attendance and an office space. waiting for the design of the poultry building it's self in the next week or two, and then I will have pix to post, if I know how. I will keep journal to share here when things start moving, I think it is going to be fun and exciting. Will keep ya'll posted.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 5:04pm On Jun 11, 2013
confluence: some of the broilers last week when they came in at 4weeks

This birds are 4 weeks? they look small though, How much do they weigh at 4 weeks?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jites(m): 5:33pm On Jun 11, 2013
fnk:

I am getting ready to start my own journey into this venture, fenced out the land in the Lekki area, got the design for the living quarters of the attendance and an office space. waiting for the design of the poultry building it's self in the next week or two, and then I will have pix to post, if I know how. I will keep journal to share here when things start moving, I think it is going to be fun and exciting. Will keep ya'll posted.

@ fnk,Weldone and i know everyone on this thread are looking forward to you starting and wishing you all the best in your venture. Especially to see your special formulae put into practice, i have got a couple of questions to ask you though if you dont mind.
1. How many birds are you looking to stock
2 what is the size of the land you have emarked for the PEN and how many sq per bird. Will you be operating deep litter or battery caged
We all look forward to pictorial updates and once again this thread appears to be about to come alive once more with exciting pictorial updates and learning.
We wish you all the best!!!
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 9:24am On Jun 12, 2013
jites:

@ fnk,Weldone and i know everyone on this thread are looking forward to you starting and wishing you all the best in your venture. Especially to see your special formulae put into practice, i have got a couple of questions to ask you though if you dont mind.
2 what is the size of the land you have emarked for the PEN and how many sq per bird. Will you be operating deep litter or battery caged
We all look forward to pictorial updates and once again this thread appears to be about to come alive once more with exciting pictorial updates and learning.

This is a good news for everyone on this forum, see below

Customs intercepts 20,000 cartons of poultry products
at Wednesday, June 12, 2013
ABOUT 20,000 cartons of contaminated frozen turkey have been intercepted by men of Nigeria Customs, Oyo/Osun Command.

The banned items were being conveyed in an articulated truck with number plate LAGOS APP 770 XE to an undisclosed destination.

According to the Deputy Controller, Administration, Bumba Usman Mohammed, who spoke on behalf of the Area Command Controller, Richard Oteri, the trailer load of frozen poultry products was arrested on old Abeokuta-Bakatari Road through intelligence gathering.

"On Saturday 8, June, 2013, 19,750 cartons of turkey were concealed with 530 iron rods and plates. The market value is put at N98.6m."

He warned people in Oyo and Osun to "desist from buying and eating frozen poultry products because they are hazardous to health and hinder growth.

of national economy, as this frustrates the efforts of local farmers".

Three weeks after intercepting over 56, 000 live ammunition, he hinted that the command had made another 25 seizures comprising 497 bags of rice, 139 bales of prohibited textiles, 621 used tyres, 600 bags of animal feeds, six cars, three trucks and one tipper lorry.

About N11.3 million and a total revenue of N63.045m noting that increasing the revenue profile of the command and reducing the incidence of smuggling to the barest minimum still remained the focus of the command.

All the banned poultry products were taken to a dump site at Akinyele Trailer park where they were destroyed.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 9:25am On Jun 12, 2013
jites:

This is a good news for everyone on this forum, see below

Customs intercepts 20,000 cartons of poultry products
at Wednesday, June 12, 2013
ABOUT 20,000 cartons of contaminated frozen turkey have been intercepted by men of Nigeria Customs, Oyo/Osun Command.

The banned items were being conveyed in an articulated truck with number plate LAGOS APP 770 XE to an undisclosed destination.

According to the Deputy Controller, Administration, Bumba Usman Mohammed, who spoke on behalf of the Area Command Controller, Richard Oteri, the trailer load of frozen poultry products was arrested on old Abeokuta-Bakatari Road through intelligence gathering.

"On Saturday 8, June, 2013, 19,750 cartons of turkey were concealed with 530 iron rods and plates. The market value is put at N98.6m."

He warned people in Oyo and Osun to "desist from buying and eating frozen poultry products because they are hazardous to health and hinder growth.

of national economy, as this frustrates the efforts of local farmers".

Three weeks after intercepting over 56, 000 live ammunition, he hinted that the command had made another 25 seizures comprising 497 bags of rice, 139 bales of prohibited textiles, 621 used tyres, 600 bags of animal feeds, six cars, three trucks and one tipper lorry.

About N11.3 million and a total revenue of N63.045m noting that increasing the revenue profile of the command and reducing the incidence of smuggling to the barest minimum still remained the focus of the command.

All the banned poultry products were taken to a dump site at Akinyele Trailer park where they were destroyed.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 9:50am On Jun 12, 2013
jites:

@jites thank you for your encouraging words. This is something I have always wanted to do. My company represent American companies that want to expand their product distribution into Africa, I have brought in 4companies but amist all this, I feel having a business that is locally produced and locally consumed will be much better than so much worries about importation. So for me poultry business opportunity falls into that bracket. So I am glad to be starting something.

To answer your question, want to focuse on broilers to start, and I want to build a pen that cab hold 8,000 birds at different stages, the pen will have demarcations inside (removable). I want to create a moving system where in each demarcation, we will have about 1,000 birds at different stage, I.e day old, a week old, 2 weeks old and so on. The deal is to create a system where we would have 1,000 birds ready for sale to our customers weekly. And as we grow, we can reduce it to daily.

I am starting with 2 plots, but I have about 9 plots all fenced in, so their is space to expand into when needed. About the Sq/bird, I will double check, but to tell you the truth, I am following this tread religiously and learning from everyone, and I think above on this page, there is info on sq/bird that I am cross checking with other info I have. I just hired a supervisor, that will start work tomorrow, even though the poultry is not even build yet, his initial job will be to start from page one of this tread read every thing and take notes, thinking about it, I hope he doesn't run off to go start his owner after going through the tread. LOL!!!

I want to do this thing right, this is an opportunity. Yes I will post pix to show how my V-mix is working. It will be fun.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Henlus(m): 10:07am On Jun 12, 2013
confluence: my broilers doing fine
They're panting. This means that the temperature is high. Be careful because once grown, temperature is the main cause of broilers's death.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by confluence: 11:01am On Jun 12, 2013
@henlus,
Thanks for the insight,
How do one lower the temperature in a place where temperature overs around 35-37 degree?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 11:43am On Jun 19, 2013
confluence: @henlus,
Thanks for the insight,
How do one lower the temperature in a place where temperature overs around 35-37 degree?

Just unscrew a few light bulbs.

(1) (2) (3) ... (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) ... (280) (Reply)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.