Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,746 members, 7,809,845 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:57 PM

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) - Agriculture (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) (963538 Views)

Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog / Starting A Plantain Farming. / We Help People Set Up A Poultry Farm, We Also Give Imformation On Poultry Busi' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (280) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by AmeboAjela(f): 5:07am On Dec 17, 2011
Very informative! Thanks to everybody that contributed. This is a lot better than all the childish fights and insults on Nairaland. Once again thanks to everyone. And Congratulations girl! You deserve it

3 Likes

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by davidzfarm(m): 1:07pm On Dec 19, 2011
@hindsight, pls can you educate us how you solved the problem of egg eating/breaking. my layers started dropping over the weekend and by 2day i discovered 1 broken egg
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by basking4me: 2:27pm On Dec 19, 2011
Gentlemen and Ladies,,

My layers finally started shitting eggs last Tuesday, sorry I havent been around to update you on this development.

I have been more concerned for my broilers that I need to sell this week. We have 250 of them and they arent as storky as I would have wanted them, So its been all work on them to get them to at least 3kg before sales.

Hindsight, Congrats on your accomplishments, I am proud of you.

For now, we will maintain the present stock of layers but consolidate on the broilers while looking for market for them. We are looking to doing 3000 broilers after this.

Our chicken processing plant and milling equipments are already being sourced.

Thanks everyone for keeping this thread going and your healthy comments.

6 Likes

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by chines4(m): 3:27pm On Dec 19, 2011
@basking4me

Congrats my brother, its good to hear the good news. Please keep us posted as concern the milling equipment
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by gng777777: 1:45pm On Jan 01, 2012
topa17 10q bro i would like to have your munber my is 08037059582
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by biddybee: 10:17pm On Jan 17, 2012
Praise God!!! I found one thread on Nairaland devoid of insults and dirty minds. What an inspiring bunch you all are. I read through every single post & I've learnt so much. May God bless you all immensely. Amen,

I've been a lover of livestock especially chickens from my days as a little boy & I'm considering setting up a poultry mainly for eggs and I think I've learnt enough in addition to my raw experience.

At the moment, I may not have so much time to groom day-old chicks due to the nature of my job because I would have loved to personally supervise their growth.

Alternatively, I will like to start with birds at Point of Lay, kindly advise where I can order them in Lagos or Sango area in Ogun state.

As my little contribution to you all, I am willing to offer free advice on snail farming as I have spent quality time on research & little practice. thanks & God bless

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by niapay(m): 12:21pm On Jan 18, 2012
Can someone give me the price of 22% protein starter feed in naija, I want to use it to do a calculation for my clients that want to order our broiler house model with 2400 broiler and he will be doing cobb500 and grow-out flock period of 35 days at target weight of 2kg since this weight is most profitable in naija based on feed conversion ratio of 1.611kg, Now to grow the 2400 broiler for 35 days he will require 8 tons of feed, and the price of a tone of 22% protein starter crumble feed in USA cost $412 per ton or $3296 to grow the 2400 broilers to 2kg at 35 days. now since importing is minimum or 20 tons per 20 inch container and he have do add shipping and clearing cost, can someone let me know the calculation based on feed cost in naira now, so that I will know if its better for him to buy feed locally

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by agiboma(f): 6:34pm On Jan 18, 2012
wow i have read this thread from start to finish it was so informative as we are thinking of venturing into this poutry business, specifically with boilers and layers. can someone tell me what do hotels and fast food restaurants etc. pay for these birds. we trying to see if its a good enough roi to proceed further we want to invest about 1m naira we already got the land and want to start construction on the house.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by LSA: 3:14pm On Jan 19, 2012
Hello all. Is there anyone here that has a poultry farm in abuja or its environs. Am hoping to get a land by the end of the month for poultry farming. Also who can help with the dimensions of a poultry house and what best materials are needed to build it. Am hoping to construct a poultry house for 1000birds, Point of lay, Thank you
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by wolllexxx: 5:16pm On Feb 09, 2012
@Hindsight and Basking4me,

Thanks guys for sharing so unselfishly.

I'm about to start my own project as well. The structure (60ft x 14ft with concrete floor is ready), and i have also fabricated a 3 tier sample cage with a Lenght of 5ft, Breath of 4ft and a height of 5ft 4'. It can accommodate 72 to 90 birds depending on if i stock 4 or 5 birds per cubicle.

I intend to start with point of lay pullets and I have patiently researched the net for information (which led to this blog) and i need more knowledge on feeds (ready made and compounding), vaccinations and general poultry management. I wish i could get a training on a farm for a couple of weeks to prepare me. I feel i'm not ready yet.

I will employ a good hand but will need to know my stuff as well. Anyone in Eti-Osa, Ibeju-Lekki or Epe on this forum that can help out will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks folks.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by davidzfarm(m): 5:33pm On Feb 09, 2012
@ niapey; it'll be a major task for a fresher to achieve 2kg in 35days for broilers in nigeria, should be thinking of 49days instead, for the feed you can get a good starter with 22% protein for N2, 500 for a bag of 25kg.

@ wolllexxx, i will advice you browse ISA BROWN on the net and follow their commercial layers management, you can equally order for the breed from any hatchery in Nigeria, they are quite an excellent laying breed that can give you almost 310-330 eggs in a year of laying.
from a my own point of view, i will advice you go for the day old because a laying bird is a sum total of what you feed it from day old. with this you will be sure of the outcome.
i ordered mine some months back and by 18th week they started laying, though its quite an effort brooding the birds but you can always be sure of the outcome.

@ Agiboma, the fast food joints will pay between 650 / 850 per kg, depending on who is buying and the season

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by davidzfarm(m): 5:42pm On Feb 09, 2012
@ biddybee, i need to inform you that there's nothing like "absent-ism farming" if you however wish to follow your passion, start with a backyard farm or let your farm location be in a place where you can easily supervise it DAILY. you can get good point of lay from de best line hatchery ,

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by aieromon(m): 9:41pm On Feb 09, 2012
I've gained a lot going through this thread.I hope to follow suit soon.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamace(m): 12:07am On Feb 10, 2012
@ biddybee, i need to inform you that there's nothing like "absent-ism farming" if you however wish to follow your passion, start with a backyard farm or let your farm location be in a place where you can easily supervise it DAILY. you can get good point of lay from de best line hatchery ,
Please, can you hint on cost of point of lay birds? Thanks in advance.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by agiboma(f): 2:45am On Feb 10, 2012
davidzfarm:

@ Agiboma, the fast food joints will pay between 650 / 850 per kg, depending on who is buying and the season

Thanks for the reply
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by wolllexxx: 1:02pm On Feb 10, 2012
@Davidzfarm,

Thanks foor tthe advice, ive checked out ISA BROWN. Do you have any idea where i can get their pullets?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by lanreecom(m): 1:23pm On Feb 11, 2012
That is great friend, good thinking! what you have there is a 'litter house system'. it's a cheaper way of starting a poultry farm, and with what i can see, i think the quality of the construction is okay.

Let me ask, are you buying day old chicks? However like some have asked, make sure you are well able to feed and care for 1000 chicks, if you you are buying them at day old. remember the weather, remember heat control, remember overcrowding control and all the rest.

Another question, are you planning to use ready made feed or make feed for them? my advice to you is, if you cant get pro. agriculturist who help compound feed that will help your small chicks, then go for a standard ready made feed good for chicks and later as they grow up you can start making feed your own way (if you have milling plants near your location). planning of what they eat is very vital.

i.ve been in the poultry and pig farming for couple of years, let's know how things are going as you move on. CHEERS!
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by ADEBYTE: 8:53pm On Feb 12, 2012
FOR ALL ASPIRING FUTURE POULTRY FARMERS AND LOVERS. I AM USING THESE OPPORTUNITY TO INTRODUCE THE FOLLOWING ITEMS OF IMPORTANCE AT AFFORDABLE PRICES

50CM GALVANISED HEN FEEDER TROUGH, POULTRY CHICKEN @ 7,500 NAIRA

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by ADEBYTE: 8:57pm On Feb 12, 2012
3 KG HEN POULTRY FEEDER & 3 LTR DRINKER CHICKEN @ 6,000 NAIRA

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by ADEBYTE: 8:59pm On Feb 12, 2012
1 KG POULTRY HEN CHICKEN FEEDER & 1.5LTR DRINKER QUAIL @ 5,OOO NAIRA

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by ADEBYTE: 9:07pm On Feb 12, 2012
PLS KINDLY SEND YOUR ENQUIRIES REGEADING ORDERS FOR THE ABOVE POSTS TO Biyiade2@yahoo.com

ALL INTERESTED BUYERS SHOULD CONTACT ADE via biyiade2@yahoo.com

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by ADEBYTE: 9:08pm On Feb 12, 2012
FOR ANY QUESTIONS AND ORDERS PLS CONTACT Biyiade2@yahoo.com

CONTACT BIYIADE2@YAHOO.COM
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by biddybee: 8:12am On Feb 13, 2012

@davidzfarm, I must inform you that I do not also believe in "absent-ism farming" as you have coined it,
I already have 100 Pullets @ 19 weeks old and I am increasing them as the days go by.

whats the price of pullets you are offering?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Yornandrew: 11:39am On Feb 13, 2012
I am also interested in starting a poultry farm. I also need access to finance. Please my e-mail is o_olomu@yahoo.com

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by wolllexxx: 4:07pm On Feb 13, 2012
Pls guys don't go quiet on us. Hindsight, basking4me, davidzfarm, you guys appear tobe the most informed amongst all contributors (no disrespect meant to other contributors). Updates pls. Thanks.

Still hoping someone will help out with the info on where to get point of lay pullets. I'm located in Ajah. Thanks.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by wolllexxx: 4:21pm On Feb 13, 2012
@ADEBYTE do you have drinking nipples or does anyone on this forum have any link or contact in this regard? Pls help. Thanks.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by wolllexxx: 4:41pm On Feb 13, 2012
Guys, the moderator changed my word to unmentionable. Well, what i actually meant is the drinking tip in a cage system. When you run pipes, the birds drink from a tip . Don't know any other name for it.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by agiboma(f): 8:34pm On Feb 13, 2012
can someone tell me the weight i need to get the boiler up to so the fast food and hotels will buy
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by wolllexxx: 7:23pm On Feb 23, 2012
My friends, what has happened? All quiet? Please keep the blog alive.
Still i ask, does anyone know where i can get ISA Brown point of lay pullets within Lagos, ogun or oyo states.
Thanks.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by TollyD: 8:47pm On Feb 27, 2012
wolllexxx,

You can get ISA Brown point of lay from Animal care (http://www.animalcare-ng.com/) and also solcorp in Ikorodu but you have to booked in advance.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by tinnymerit(m): 6:16am On Feb 28, 2012
those anybody knows abt breeders?,its the most expensive and most demanded and priced of all birds.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (280) (Reply)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.