Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,159 members, 7,818,527 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:58 PM

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) - Agriculture (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) (965354 Views)

Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog / Starting A Plantain Farming. / We Help People Set Up A Poultry Farm, We Also Give Imformation On Poultry Busi' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (280) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by ogbongenet: 6:19pm On Apr 03, 2012
Quail Farming,quick Cash:

Quail farming is an uncommon farming business in Nigeria, but the few people that have embraced it are not only smiling to banks, they are also enjoying both the nutritional and health values derived from consuming it
Considering the large number of poultry farmers in Kaduna that have embraced quail farming, it is no doubt one booming farming business that is gradually taking over chicken poultry business in most parts of the north. The high rate of returns and low cost of investment as well rearing them are some of the reasons many farmers are fast resorting to quail farming. In Zaria alone, there are more than 50 farms where quail are reared and sold. The fact that the birds grow and reach maturity stage faster and lay eggs within two months, compared with the six-month maturity period of chickens for whether egg-laying or consumption, attract them to farmers who see the business as a better and more sustainable investment to explore.
From market surveys both in Zaria and Kaduna, a female quail bird sells for N500 while the male goes for between N250 and N300. Its speckled eggs go for between N20 and N25. The bird’s high nutritional and market value encourage many chicken poultry farmers to abandon the business for quail farming. The NEWS gathered that these financial and health benefits, especially the high and quick returns on investment, largely explained farmers’ rush into the business in Jos where it first started, and in Kano, Kaduna and other states in the north where it is booming now. But it is very difficult for people in the southwest who wish to go into quail farming due to the problem of getting quail chicks for starting. Good news the problem has now been solved because you can easily get it now in Ibadan. I started the business just three months ago but glory be to God I earn nothing less than 2000 Naira every day.
BENEFIT OF QUAIL FARMING
It is very easy to maintain
It is not capital intensive compare to poultry farming
High return in a very short time (quail start laying at 45 day old)
It require small space
Quail egg are now recommended in the hospital which makes a good business
Here are some additional benefits you might get from eating quail eggs.:
* acquire a strong immunity system and improve metabolism.
* contain important quantity of calcium easy to assimilate.
* help healing gastritis, ulcer.
* increase hemoglobin level, remove heavy metals, toxins from blood.
* help in the treatment of tuberculosis, asthma,.
* diabetes
* contain ovomucoid protein, used in the production of anti allergic drugs.
* help inhibit cancerous growth.
* help eliminate and remove stones from liver, kidneys and bladder.
* stimulate intellectual activity.
* may accelerate recuperation after blood stroke and help strengthen heart muscle.
* are a powerful stimulant of intimate potency. They nourish the prostrate gland with useful substances, phosphorus, proteins and vitamins and therefore help restore intimate potency.
FOR FURTHER INFO TYPE QUAIL FARMING OR BENEFIT OF QUAIL EGG ON GOOGLE.
TO START QUAIL FARMING CONTACT ME ON 08060115253 OR profindeed@yahoo.com
Meet you at the top
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fasbio(m): 11:16am On Apr 04, 2012
@igbonla
many thank for your advice

may GOD bless you and your family
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by ade101(m): 7:01pm On Apr 04, 2012
I have followed this thread from from start till now,so i am very much interested in poultry farming but i have no knowledge or experience except those gained from the good people of this thread.So i need a real practical oriented trainning on poultry farming.Also i would be very glad if i can lay my hand on a manual so as to be able to read enough pending the time i would see someone to take me up on the practical aspect.Great people of this thread,please i beg you for heaven's sake profer solution to my need & i am willing to pay.Anyone with a manual or how i can go about it should please post it or kindly send it to my mail box, SHERIPH4REAL@GMAIL.COM.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by qauzeem(m): 9:30am On Apr 08, 2012
with experience of about 8yrs now, i wil advice to let ur help u to do a financial appraisal for ur old layer project.
1.Pls never invested of capital project at start.
2.start with just 500 old layers, even if u can avoid 50,000 old layers other wise u ve finacial margin contraint.
3. The cost of feeds is about 65% per od revenue.
We u can reach me on e.mail. Kazzzy4meu@yahoo.com
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by abdulsadiq25yahoocom(m): 8:10pm On Apr 08, 2012
Am having d spirit also ryt from my childhood to carry out poultry farming cus its vewi vewi good anywhr pls if anybdy have gud idea about it he/she shld pls update us all......
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by eemjay17(m): 12:25am On Apr 13, 2012
Well, i feel so happy to av come across ds thread as itz jst like an answa to a burden of question av bin tryin to solve all ds while. Besides, am an ex-corper that jst finish servin ds feb. nd as we all know findin a job i sumtin else so i opt for self employment which make me give poultry farmin a thought nd ryt now my mention is ready to help out in dt aspect of money nd moral support. Hence am to come up with a sound business plan for 500/1000 birds(layers) to include all estimations as to how much it will cost to raise them from day old to point of layin. I will be soo happy to see sum1 i can talk to to get ds done. Thanx in anticipation
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Josh121(m): 12:35pm On Apr 13, 2012
I want to first of all say thanks to the lady the started this thread, and more thanks goes to basking4me and yinkavelli's, I have visited both guy and seen their farm the have been source of encouragement to me , I am going to be giving the house my update of 1000 birds starting soon.
I and yinkavelli's are going to check out a land some where in Ogun state to day . I will update you after purchase.
God bless us all

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by biddybee: 7:40am On Apr 16, 2012
Thanks friends for the inspiration, now the eggs have started pouring in and they need to be sold as fast as possible. Any tips on marketing & supply. Thanks in anticipation of your responses. God bless you all
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by lancee(m): 2:28pm On Apr 16, 2012
Great Thread !
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by zogo(m): 6:52pm On Apr 16, 2012
you can also try Heliculture (Snail Farming). Its as easy you might imagine, as even a secondary school student can start and make progress. get details here: www.snailfarmingng..com

3 Likes

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by gowaga68: 6:54pm On Apr 16, 2012
I've gained a lot here thanks to you all animal husbandry has been my passion from day one. going into poultry will be a welcome back to me. Can any one give us feed formulation pls and i'd like to know more on QUAIL farming.
it shall be well.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Bblife1: 11:52am On Apr 18, 2012
For long pple has bn asking for d cost that cld be enough to feed 1000 birds from a day to 22wks when i think then d chicks would av bn able to like feeding themselves. We need a God fearing type not someone that would be exaggerating thing to scare pple, to pls for God sake come up wt d breakdown of feeding from day old to 8wks, frm then on grower to 20wks and layer feeds till when they can feed pn their returns. HELP OUT; OPEN MINDED TO COME UP WT SOMETHING REASONABLE. I cannot imagine someone quoting up to 600k to feed 500birds, to me is mysterious. Reaction pls. I am enjoying this thread.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 3:27pm On Apr 18, 2012
Take time and go through the tread again, someone have already given that breakdown. From my research the breakdown that I used to feed my birds from day old to get them to between 2.5kg to some of them at 3.5kg within 7-8 weeks was N313.60/bird. with this info, you can multiply it by the number of birds you want to raise. The advantage though that I had was that I discovered a solution that I call Virushiled. that was what I used in place of any medication. At day old, I put a few drops in their mouth, and I repeat that again two more time within their first week. And I have a mixture of the solution in the water they drink through out the 7 weeks.
My result was that I had zero mortality, the birds grow fast because there wasn't any bacteria, or any virus in their system to stall their grow and course them to eat more. No any chemical in their system through the water they drink that can also have adverse effect on their growth and development. No medication or hormone that can affect the taste of the bird. What I had at the end of 7 weeks was some of the birds weighing about 3kg and 3.5kg, taste like free range birds and no fat. The bone of the birds were a lot stronger than the typical poultry bird. I give one to a franchisee of Mr. Bigs, she ate it call call me back and said that "she has not eaten any chicken like this before"

So, if you ad the cost of medication, it might cost you a little more than N313.60/bird, shouldn't be a whole lot though. So the breakdown for me was that to get a bird to about 2.5kg, the bird will need about 4kg of food. With this info, you can work out the cost of the bag of feed in your area and the number of birds you want to raise.

Good luck.

4 Likes

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Bblife1: 5:48pm On Apr 18, 2012
@funk, i really appreciate ur response. But if u won't mind, i will want to ask, are u saying d cost is for 7-8wks? Also how old are ur flocks? How many did buy for raising? Have u raised them up to 16wks? I'll be glad to have reaction to it. Also if u won't mind, can u tell me where ur farm is? God bless u.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 7:16pm On Apr 18, 2012
@ Bb life, When I lived in South America, my we had a poultry there, and last year in Nigeria a friend wanted to go into the business with me, before we can move on I decided to do a research in Nigeria to see it's viability, I lived in VGC then, so I made a coop that can hold up to 50 birds, I got 10 layers and 25 broilers. And I documented everything that I was doing everyday. I bought the feed and the day old from old Agege motor road. And watched and documented my findings. I moved my family back to the U.S and I am currently in the U.S but hoping to come back to Nigeria and then go into poultry since my research was positive. So I don't have any farm you can visit, after my project, I gave away the bird to people to get their reaction as to the size and taste of the meat. And everyone something positive to say. At 18 weeks, the layers started laying, the eegs were small at first but started getting big a few weeks later. I killed some and gave away the rest because I was moving back to the U.S. Now the big deal here in my case is the discovery of a solution that keeps them healthy, grows well, and taste great because there were no any use of chemically treated water or medications for the birds. So with my solution, I don't have to worry about bird flu and mortality issues faced by poultry farmers. This is my competitive advantage when I eventually get into the industry. Now if I had bought more bird looking at economic escale the cost could be lower. My total estimated cost to raise a bird from day old to 2.5kg in 7 weeks was N563.60. this includes everything, feeding, lighting, management, the cost of the day old chick, etc. and on this tread someone explained that depending on who is buying from you, you can sell the birds for between N650 to N850/kg which is not bad.

So, you can play with some of this numbers and some other numbers that have been stated in this tread. Good luck

2 Likes

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Bblife1: 6:41am On Apr 20, 2012
@fnk, good! Very reasonable indeed, pls can u help by given me name of d solution and how to get it? Pls be fully open to me for God sake. U are highly appreciated. Pls, pls and pls. If it is done by u, how is d formulae?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 1:10pm On Apr 20, 2012
@bb life, The thing is that I used the solution in a small scale and it worked, I need to use it on a larger scale befor I can get the info out. Have you started your poultry yet? If not, give me your email and I will forward the project that I put together, based on the cost that I got last year.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Bblife1: 2:43pm On Apr 20, 2012
Thanks much. Just about to start in less than a month. bolanlebonojo@ymail.com
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by wolllexxx: 4:22pm On Apr 20, 2012
@fnk, can i send my e-mail too please.

Thanks
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 4:58pm On Apr 20, 2012
@willlexxx, yes you can send me your email. It will be 3 docs one is couple of them are in excel form so you can manipulate the numbers to fit the # of birds you want to raise and also the prices of some of the things you will need as I am sure them must have changed. The third doc is a compilation of my result. Remember, on this tread I have read from those who you can call guru in this industry, What I am sending you is my research and the result, it is not intended to be portrayed as the standard for poultry farming. Non the less, it was a well done job, because I personally managed it. Good luck.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by gowaga68: 11:26am On Apr 21, 2012
@fnk kindly send me the report too zan@gmail.com i have be keeping an eye to your post n been waitin to see the name or formular.more grace to ur elbow.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 3:09pm On Apr 21, 2012
@gowaga68, I have sent you the info. Good luck.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by wolllexxx: 5:29pm On Apr 21, 2012
@fnk, the e-mail address is oluwole.omobalogun@yahoo.com.

Thanks
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 7:00pm On Apr 21, 2012
@wiolllexxx, done. Hope it works for you.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by zogo(m): 7:19pm On Apr 21, 2012
you can try scientific Heliculture (Snail farming), we simplified the process. get details here: www.snailfarmingng..com
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by kingsilly(m): 11:11pm On Apr 21, 2012
fnk: @wiolllexxx, done. Hope it works for you.
@fnk the email is kingsleyameye02@gmail.com...will also need dat info tankz alot
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Rachelwang(f): 11:27am On Apr 22, 2012
Good, hope your business will be better, my husband deal with veterinary medicine, you can contact me if have any problem,
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 3:37pm On Apr 22, 2012
@kingsilly, sent. I hope it works for you
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by abankula: 5:58pm On Apr 22, 2012
@fnk, it will be highly appreciated if you could send the info to: ralade1@yahoo.com
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Josh121(m): 9:43pm On Apr 22, 2012
@fnk, it will be highly appreciated if you could send the info to: unyimejoshua@yahoo.com
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 11:46pm On Apr 22, 2012
@fnk pls forward to me too. Chinwedim2006@yahoo.com
God bless u

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (280) (Reply)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.