Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,746 members, 7,813,449 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:28 PM

My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation (34978 Views)

Condoms, Guns, Cigarettes From German Submarine Sank During WWII (Pics) / WWII Plane Recovered From Black Sea After Crashing 77 Years Ago(Pics) / My Trip To Calabar and Akwa Ibom From Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by khia: 9:20pm On Sep 26, 2021
InyinyaAgbaOku:

Are we saying different things ?

My point is you can't blame slavery on the whites alone. Blacks sold their kith to them

Of course not and Africans owes reparations to the descendants just like the Europeans and Arabs do.
Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by Mstravelindiva: 9:24pm On Sep 26, 2021
InyinyaAgbaOku:

My point is you can't blame slavery on the whites alone. Blacks sold their kith to them

Agree, and sadly they don’t teach this history (i.e slavery) in American schools. But I learned it, and I’ll admit, I was disappointed. To know that my black ancestors played a role in this was disheartening. Clearly we don’t know exactly what compelled them to do so, but it is part of the history and should be acknowledged.
Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 11:32pm On Sep 26, 2021
Mstravelindiva:

Agree, and sadly they don’t teach this history (i.e slavery) in American schools. But I learned it, and I’ll admit, I was disappointed. To know that my black ancestors played a role in this was disheartening. Clearly we don’t know exactly what compelled them to do so, but it is part of the history and should be acknowledged.

Nothing compelled them aside greed for money and gin . Blacks had kept slaves before whites came. Trans Saharan trade existed before the Atlantic one

3 Likes

Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by TWoods(m): 3:41am On Sep 27, 2021
Mstravelindiva:

YES friend, you should definitely go and visit the The Whitney Plantation. It’s emotional yet educational and inspirational. Finally a museum from the victims point of view. We were so grateful and happy we went. One of the highlights of my trip! grin

Houston isn’t too far away from NOLA, plus they got amazing food, some of the best live jazz bands playing everyday and a lit nightlife! Oooooo Bourbon street is an adventure in itself!

We did the NOLA trip this summer. You are absolutely correct, the Whitney plantation was the best experience on our trip. The Laura plantation was also good but more because we had an excellent guide. Houmas house has the best food on the plantation tour IMO. Just check out the short rib and grits.

1 Like

Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by cayorday89(m): 4:57am On Sep 27, 2021
Mstravelindiva:

Of recent, I got to know this, that the white men actually took advantage of the blacks using their own fellow blacks as slaves they got from war conquest against other villages.
Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by cayorday89(m): 5:00am On Sep 27, 2021
InyinyaAgbaOku:

Nothing compelled them aside greed for money and gin . Blacks had kept slaves before whites came. Trans Saharan trade existed before the Atlantic one
So true, and when the whites had some other foreign items to offer and also more power to those who offered more slaves, the dynamics of trading changed... Black sold blacks by hunting for more blacks for the white men who only sat down and wait for their goods(both human amd materials) to be transported to their lands.
Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by Mstravelindiva: 5:15am On Sep 27, 2021
TWoods:

We did the NOLA trip this summer. You are absolutely correct, the Whitney plantation was the best experience on our trip. The Laura plantation was also good but more because we had an excellent guide. Houmas house has the best food on the plantation tour IMO. Just check out the short rib and grits.

Yayyyyy friend, I’m so glad you enjoyed your trip and the Whitney Plantation, that meal looks absolutely amazing. NOLA is such a foodie destination right? I’ve never been to Houmas house, I will have to check them out on my next trip.

So where are you traveling next?
Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by TWoods(m): 5:38am On Sep 27, 2021
Mstravelindiva:

Yayyyyy friend, I’m so glad you enjoyed your trip and the Whitney Plantation, that meal looks absolutely amazing. NOLA is such a foodie destination right? I’ve never been to Houmas house, I will have to check them out on my next trip.

So where are you traveling next?

Houmas house is very beautiful, great food as well... but its like no slaves ever lived there. That part is somehow minimized. Absolutely loved the NOLA foodie scene - sea food, best grits i ever ate, beignets, gumbo... name it!

Not sure where next, we are having a baby in 2 months so looks like travel is off the menu for the next year! cheesy Looking forward to resuming this once the kiddo is a year old at least.

3 Likes

Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by Mstravelindiva: 5:42am On Sep 27, 2021
TWoods:

Houmas house is very beautiful, great food as well... but its like no slaves ever lived there. That part is somehow minimized. Absolutely loved the NOLA foodie scene - sea food, best grits i ever ate, beignets, gumbo... name it!

Not sure where next, we are having a baby in 2 months so looks like travel is off the menu for the next year! cheesy Looking forward to resuming this once the kiddo is a year old at least.

Awww, congratulations on the new baby! Yes, once baby arrives travels can commence. Best wishes for you and wife with your new bundle of joy! smiley

1 Like

Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 6:43pm On Sep 27, 2021
cayorday89:

So true, and when the whites had some other foreign items to offer and also more power to those who offered more slaves, the dynamics of trading changed... Black sold blacks by hunting for more blacks for the white men who only sat down and wait for their goods(both human amd materials) to be transported to their lands.

Thank you
Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by AlphaCEO: 1:50am On Sep 28, 2021
Mstravelindiva:
The Whitney Plantation Museum
Aha! Mstravelindiva, what brand
of camera gave you these crystal
clear pictures?

Wow! I know this place from 2
years ago (2019)! The white owner converted the Whitney Plantation to a museum. The museum curator is of Senegalese descent.

More monuments are springing
up to commemorate the unique
African-American experience.

The Clotilda (the last slave schooner
to ever sail into the U.S., i.e.,
Mobile, Alabama in 1860 from modern Benin Rep, Nigeria's next door neighbor) was discovered underwater in 2019. People from the mainly Yoruba and Fon ethnicities of Nigeria and Benin were on board the ship. Their
descendants still live in Alabama and other U.S.cities till today!

New Orleans was French territory back in the day (1700s), so a lot of Africans from Benin/Nigeria,
Senegal, Congo, were brought
into Haiti and Louisiana, etc.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by AlphaCEO: 1:59am On Sep 28, 2021
Mstravelindiva:
Red Fish Grill on the famous Bourbon Street! We sampled: BBQ Oysters, round of Oyster Shooters (cocktail), Fried Catfish Bites
Cajun foods! Dayum! grin

1 Like

Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by Mstravelindiva: 3:04am On Sep 28, 2021
AlphaCEO:

Cajun foods! Dayum! grin

Yes, it was so delish! grin

NOLA was recently hit by Hurricane Ida, so hopefully the city can be quickly restored so that tourism can commence and the citizens can carry on with their lives.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by Mstravelindiva: 3:06am On Sep 28, 2021
AlphaCEO:

Aha! Mstravelindiva, what brand
of camera gave you these crystal
clear pictures?

Thank you, believe it or not, I simply take all of my pics with my cell phone. It’s an Apple 10.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by theTranscriber: 9:43am On Sep 28, 2021
InyinyaAgbaOku:

this is a blatant lie
no ethnic sold themselves

stop talking rubbish
Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by theTranscriber: 9:46am On Sep 28, 2021
cayorday89:

stop talking trash
black is not an ethnic group
groups fought other groups and sold to the Europeans for guns especially

if you are ignorant STFU
Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by theTranscriber: 9:49am On Sep 28, 2021
Mstravelindiva:

you must understand that "black" is not a group and has never been one. ethic groups sold other ethnic groups in order to get weapons and other stuff

you guys need to stop seeing "Black" as an ethnic group
there are indegenous blacks in Asia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ5zizWjSko
Atlantic Slave Trade: Fallacy of Blacks selling Blacks -Home team history.
Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by Transcriber: 10:04am On Sep 28, 2021
InyinyaAgbaOku:

Atlantic Slave Trade: Fallacy of Blacks selling Blacks -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_98fdeWxRs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWMbPuzeIMc
Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by cayorday89(m): 10:58am On Sep 28, 2021
theTranscriber:
stop talking trash
black is not an ethnic group
groups fought other groups and sold to the Europeans for guns especially

if you are ignorant STFU
We are saying same thing, under the black race we have several ethnic groups who fought themselves to sell to whites of different nationalities also... Now back to the trash talking in your message and what I wrote earlier,is there any difference or is it the fact that ehtnics groups fought themselves and take slaves from among other ethnic groups stops them from being blacks.
Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by theTranscriber: 11:05am On Sep 28, 2021
cayorday89:
We are saying same thing, under the black race we have several ethnic groups who fought themselves to sell to whites of different nationalities also... Now back to the trash talking in your message and what I wrote earlier,is there any difference or is it the fact that ehtnics groups fought themselves and take slaves from among other ethnic groups stops them from being blacks.
you're talking like black is one large group of people

we are different people with thousands of languages
Transcriber:

Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by cayorday89(m): 11:14am On Sep 28, 2021
theTranscriber:

you're talking like black is one large group of people

we are different people with thousands of languages
I am not disputing that, and if I go back to check, I guess I pluralised the blacks to show I am referring to a group of people who make the black race... It's like saying, the ijebus fought the Oyo, and the conquering ethnic group took slaves from the defeated ethnic group, both are of the black race and the Europeans took advantage of that, while the Europeans also have their different ethnic groups or nationalities but somehow found a way to unite and share the different ethnic group into regions and colonies...
Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 4:32pm On Sep 28, 2021
Transcriber:

Keep deceiving yourself. It's called slave TRADE not Slave RAID
Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by theTranscriber: 9:10pm On Sep 28, 2021
InyinyaAgbaOku:

Keep deceiving yourself. It's called slave TRADE not Slave RAID
i never said we didn't sell

Just watch the videos

Black was never an identity

Click to link in my signature for real history
Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by theTranscriber: 9:24pm On Sep 28, 2021
cayorday89:
I am not disputing that, and if I go back to check, I guess I pluralised the blacks to show I am referring to a group of people who make the black race... It's like saying, the ijebus fought the Oyo, and the conquering ethnic group took slaves from the defeated ethnic group, both are of the black race and the Europeans took advantage of that, while the Europeans also have their different ethnic groups or nationalities but somehow found a way to unite and share the different ethnic group into regions and colonies...
Dont say black sold blacks
Say ijaw sold Igbo, Dahomey sold Yorùbá etc

The same way you say the British colonised Nigeria not the whites colonised Nigeria

Be specific

Take time to watch the videos I posted recently
Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by Optimistguy1969: 2:52pm On Feb 15, 2022
Mstravelindiva:
National WWII Musuem in New Orleans

Hi.
How can I be travelling on tours around the world like you?

Please reply

1 Like

Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by Mstravelindiva: 1:51am On Feb 16, 2022
Optimistguy1969:

Hi.
How can I be travelling on tours around the world like you?

Please reply

I work full time and pay for my own travels, traveling is my hobby that I do during my leave(s).

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Canada Plans Record Immigration Targets Amid Labour Crunch / Gombe State Roads And Other Structures (pictures) / Please Help: How Can I Track My Uk Visa Application - Applicant Status

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.