Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,924 members, 7,814,105 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:54 AM

DISCOs Now Selling FG’s Free Meters, Consumers Allege - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / DISCOs Now Selling FG’s Free Meters, Consumers Allege (18162 Views)

FG To Raise Power Tariff December, Begins Free Meters Purchase / IBEDC To Begin Distribution Of 100,000 Free Meters Next Week (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

DISCOs Now Selling FG’s Free Meters, Consumers Allege by adenigga(m): 2:47am On Mar 21, 2021
Power consumers have raised the alarm that power distribution companies were now selling the free meters that were provided for electricity users by the Federal Government.

In October 2020, the Federal Government inaugurated the National Mass Metering Programme in respect of which the Central Bank of Nigeria issued a framework for financing the scheme.

The programme was inaugurated to increase the country’s metering rate and eliminate arbitrary estimated bills that were given unmetered customers by Discos.

Through the scheme, the CBN provided financing support to the Discos for the procurement of meters for customers from local meter manufacturers.

The meters were meant to be installed free of charge in the residence of beneficiaries, but power users on Friday alleged that some Discos were beginning to collect money for the meters.

They told our correspondent that some Discos claimed that the scheme was being run alongside the Meter Asset Providers programme, but argued that the MAPs had not been successful, which was why the government introduced the NMMP.

Speaking on studies done by his group as regards the installation of meters under the NMMP, the National Secretary, Nigeria Electricity Consumer Advocacy Network, Uket Obonga, said Discos were selling meters that were meant to be free.

He said, “Look at the National Mass Metering Programme that the government inaugurated recently to ensure mass metering, some Discos are now selling the prepaid meters that were given to them free of charge for customers,

“I held a programme in Calabar and put a call directly to one of the commissioners there to tell him what’s happening. The next day Port Harcourt Disco invited me to go with them for meter launch and so forth.”

Obonga added, “They are still collecting money, selling meters that were given to them free. In Port Harcourt, they are still selling to consumers. When I raised it they now said the MAPS and NMMP will run side by side. But how is that possible?

“Who is running MAPs? The companies that were meant to run MAPs have all fizzled out because the Discos have taken over.”

Power distributors, however, said they would not want to comment on controversial issues in the sector at the moment.

This, according to them, was because there had been series of engagements between the Discos and the Federal Government lately on various industry matters.

An official with the Association of Nigerian Electricity Distributors, the umbrella body for Discos, Akin Akinpelu, confirmed this to our correspondent in Abuja.

Also, the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission said it would not delve into the matter unless the affected customers tabled it as a complain to the NERC.

The Head, Public Affairs, NERC, Michael Faloseyi, said the matter was purely between Discos and consumers, but made it clear that once a complaint, was made in that regard, the commission would step in.

https://m.punchng.com/News/Discos-now-selling-FGs-free-meters-consumers-allege

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: DISCOs Now Selling FG’s Free Meters, Consumers Allege by Tectono: 5:35am On Mar 21, 2021
Hmmmm!!!! I thought as much. Every average Nigerian want to make money any how. Check out my signature if you want to be making millions of naira from export business.

7 Likes

Re: DISCOs Now Selling FG’s Free Meters, Consumers Allege by gaetano: 5:35am On Mar 21, 2021
Nigeria kills.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: DISCOs Now Selling FG’s Free Meters, Consumers Allege by klamba(m): 5:36am On Mar 21, 2021
Naija my country

1 Like

Re: DISCOs Now Selling FG’s Free Meters, Consumers Allege by johnchima007(m): 5:36am On Mar 21, 2021
Its a shame.. Nigerians are just opportunist, they are dubious in/with everything.

52 Likes 3 Shares

Re: DISCOs Now Selling FG’s Free Meters, Consumers Allege by Racoon(m): 5:36am On Mar 21, 2021
Off course! This has been the case from antiquity.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: DISCOs Now Selling FG’s Free Meters, Consumers Allege by wizkar2003: 5:36am On Mar 21, 2021
Hmmmmmmmm....
Re: DISCOs Now Selling FG’s Free Meters, Consumers Allege by Ishilove: 5:37am On Mar 21, 2021
So what else is new? I doubt if there are people who received this metres free of charge.

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: DISCOs Now Selling FG’s Free Meters, Consumers Allege by Tonymegabush1(m): 5:37am On Mar 21, 2021
Eedc that I know has been selling their meters to their customers through MAP metering initiative it is even boldly written on their utility bill that customers should bear In mind that metering is not free..

25 Likes

Re: DISCOs Now Selling FG’s Free Meters, Consumers Allege by Davidonkonsults: 5:37am On Mar 21, 2021
Inside life. Kirikiri 5 alive.

1 Like

Re: DISCOs Now Selling FG’s Free Meters, Consumers Allege by blackpanda: 5:39am On Mar 21, 2021
Which one is consumers allege. They have always been selling since day 1

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: DISCOs Now Selling FG’s Free Meters, Consumers Allege by favour32(m): 5:41am On Mar 21, 2021
These phcn(nepa or whatever their recent name) people wicked o!
Dem dey sell meters,dem nor dey change any nepa property wey spoil.
Dem nor send na only wayo wayo dem sabi

3 Likes

Re: DISCOs Now Selling FG’s Free Meters, Consumers Allege by tizteezy(m): 5:43am On Mar 21, 2021
Unfortunately, most people don't understand that when when you buy a meter, within a year, you must have recovered your money via less bills you'll be paying as compared to estimated billing.

However, its a sad state of affairs in this country.

I equally BOUGHT mine.
Paid for it in August last year, but it still took me causing scenes at their office before they came to install the meter I paid for in December

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: DISCOs Now Selling FG’s Free Meters, Consumers Allege by kelechiodo(m): 5:43am On Mar 21, 2021
EEDC the worst disco in Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: DISCOs Now Selling FG’s Free Meters, Consumers Allege by 9jaRealist: 5:43am On Mar 21, 2021
adenigga:
https://m.punchng.com/News/Discos-now-selling-FGs-free-meters-consumers-allege

If the CBN facility is a LOAN, then someone has to REPAY it...
Thus, either the meters belong to the DISCOs or the consumer after he pays for it.
>

1 Like

Re: DISCOs Now Selling FG’s Free Meters, Consumers Allege by BigBelleControl(m): 5:45am On Mar 21, 2021
I'm still waiting for IKEDC to come and install my meter which I've already applied for.

For the past four months, I've been getting a constant bill of 43k for a 2 bedroom flat. The bill has already exceeded my house rent in a year.
Those guys are so mean when they come for disconnection.

21 Likes

Re: DISCOs Now Selling FG’s Free Meters, Consumers Allege by samwillyco1(m): 5:45am On Mar 21, 2021
Everybody is a CRIMINAL in NIGERIA

3 Likes

Re: DISCOs Now Selling FG’s Free Meters, Consumers Allege by Sola2016: 5:47am On Mar 21, 2021
this Disco or what are they call are useless
Re: DISCOs Now Selling FG’s Free Meters, Consumers Allege by georgeakins: 5:47am On Mar 21, 2021
I have never come across anyone in this country that is not greedy, just that pastors and politicians are the worst

3 Likes

Re: DISCOs Now Selling FG’s Free Meters, Consumers Allege by Nobody: 5:49am On Mar 21, 2021
The fg was never sincere from the onset.

2 Likes

Re: DISCOs Now Selling FG’s Free Meters, Consumers Allege by iamyemiakins(m): 5:50am On Mar 21, 2021
This country sef!
Re: DISCOs Now Selling FG’s Free Meters, Consumers Allege by Nobody: 5:51am On Mar 21, 2021
wo e le fi oro Naija pa mi jare, isn't this mumuish??

2 Shares

Re: DISCOs Now Selling FG’s Free Meters, Consumers Allege by gratiaeo(m): 5:53am On Mar 21, 2021
I have paid for prepaid meter since August last year up till today it has not been installed

1 Like

Re: DISCOs Now Selling FG’s Free Meters, Consumers Allege by WonderManly(m): 5:55am On Mar 21, 2021
This country problem just be like Nigeria President: One is in Aso Rock and the other one is a Bus Conductor in Lagos.
Who knows which one is the real Buhari self

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: DISCOs Now Selling FG’s Free Meters, Consumers Allege by sammysmiles(m): 5:56am On Mar 21, 2021
Who received free meter? In my house, they bought it 60k..

2 Likes

Re: DISCOs Now Selling FG’s Free Meters, Consumers Allege by oz4real83(m): 5:57am On Mar 21, 2021
Has there ever been a time discos were giving out metres for free sing Jonathan left? embarassed . Our prayers have always been for them to provide new meters and not to resell stolen metres to Nigerians. embarassed
Re: DISCOs Now Selling FG’s Free Meters, Consumers Allege by martolux(m): 5:59am On Mar 21, 2021
We blame our politicians all the time but the curruption going on in this company is alarming. If MTN mast has issues, they'll quickly fix it, but if NEPA transformer developed a problem in a community, they'll have to contribute money to buy a new transformer.

18 Likes

Re: DISCOs Now Selling FG’s Free Meters, Consumers Allege by oriewanbe: 6:00am On Mar 21, 2021
Naija my country

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Elections: Army Raid Hideout, Arrest 6 Suspected Political Thugs In Port Harcour / My Experience As Member Of PDP Situation Team In The Abia North Rerun Election / Did KOWA Party Shade PDP Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.