Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,166 members, 7,838,990 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 12:04 PM

Jonathan Suspends The Minister Responsible For Internal Security - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Suspends The Minister Responsible For Internal Security (12652 Views)

Jonathan Suspends Permanent Secretary / Jonathan Suspends Inauguration Of Presidential Campaign Committee / Jonathan Suspends Allocation Of Oil Blocks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan Suspends The Minister Responsible For Internal Security by omogidi234(m): 12:29pm On Apr 20, 2011
Tokotaya:

If this was done to show the cabinet that non-performance has consequences, I'm all in support. At least, that would show that GEJ may have a backbone afterall. But it would seem the jury is still out on this, especially with talk that the chap was sacrificed to please Ohakim. We'll get to know the truth in due course.

A combine perusal of sections 214, 215 (3) & (4) of the 1999 Constitution as amended and section 4 of the Police Act, CAP P19, LFN 2004 show that the Police is saddled with the Preservation of law & order, life, property and to maintain public law & order among other things. Is the Nigeria Police under the interior ministry? Don't we have ministry of Police Affairs, IG, DIGs, AIGs most especially in the zone where violence is allegged? It is none of my business if the man was sacked but please don't tell me some bull story that he was sacked for non-performance on internal security/post election violence, when indeed the organization saddled with such constitutional task is not under his control.
Re: Jonathan Suspends The Minister Responsible For Internal Security by Didipapa: 12:52pm On Apr 20, 2011
For I think the president did not do wrongly,all we need is serious minded people who can handle definite issues with positive result.do not blame the president,cos we need clean up in the cabinet and definite one.that's step one
Re: Jonathan Suspends The Minister Responsible For Internal Security by luluosas(m): 1:13pm On Apr 20, 2011
, Why Jonathan suspended Interior minister
On April 20, 2011 · · In News , 
By EMMANUEL AZIKEN, Political Editor, DONALD IDONOR & TONY EDIKE

ABUJA – PRESIDENT Goodluck Jonathan, yesterday, suspended the Minister of Interior, Capt. Emmanuel Ihenacho, from office alleging official lapses.

The suspension of the minister was enveloped in the political intrigues in his native Imo State where he was alleged to have supported opposition party candidates during the National Assembly elections against Peoples Democratic Party, PDP candidates promoted by Governor Ikedi Ohakim.

National Vice Chairman of the PDP, Chief Olisa Metuh, who had last week called on the President to sack the Minister on the basis of the alleged anti-party activities, yesterday, welcomed the President’s action.

Metu  told Vanguard that the suspension should be a warning to other ministers in the federal cabinet who he alleged were equally involved in anti-party activities.

The party’s national vice chairman alleged that the Presidential Adviser on Energy, Prof. Barth Nnaji was one of those allegedly involved in anti-party activities who should retrace their steps.

Opposition party supporters

Opposition party supporters in Imo State, however, faulted the suspension of Ihenacho from office as they claimed that the presidency was pandering to the whims of Governor Ohakim.

There were speculations that Ambassador Kema Chikwe who was defeated in the Imo East senate election by Senator Chris Anyanwu, the All Progressive Grand Alliance, APGA candidate may have been positioned to replace Ihenacho in the cabinet.

Ihenacho was speculated to have supported Senator Anyanwu against Chikwe in the Imo East Senatorial election on April 9. Anyanwu won the election.

Announcing the suspension of the minister in a terse statement yesterday, Special Adviser to the President, Media and Publicity, Mr. Ima Niboro, said: “President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan has ordered the immediate suspension of Capt. Emmanuel Iheanacho as Minister of Interior and member of the Federal Executive Council.    “Capt. Iheanacho has been directed to hand over to the Minister of Labour, Mr. Emeka Wogu, who will, in addition to his present portfolio, oversee that ministry.”

Welcoming the suspension yesterday, Metuh lamented the disloyalty of the minister to the ruling party in his home state saying he had asked the president to call him to order whilst also directing the Imo State chapter to set up a disciplinary committee to investigate his activities and recommend necessary sanction against him.

Noting that the President’s action was indicative of a listening President, Metuh said:  “The president has shown that he is a peaceful man and that he has a listening ear.

The people of Imo State and the South East had cried out over the threat to peace and anti-party activity of the minister who had been using his office as Minister of Interior to mobilize operatives of Nigeria Prisons to harass PDP members in Imo State especially during the last elections.”

Source: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/04/why-jonathan-suspended-interior-minister/

This is the beginning of the danger ahead for Nigerians who voted Jonathan in as President. You were all claiming that, you are voting Jonathan as a person not PDP. See how wrong you people was. The first sign that this President is PDP himself have started to manifest. Nigerians were being slaughtered like goats in the North and all Jonathan could do was to fire Iheanacho for anti party reasons. What a shame. Ndigbo, you got what you bargained for and I hope it serves you right. Rubbish.
Re: Jonathan Suspends The Minister Responsible For Internal Security by Isapro1(m): 1:19pm On Apr 20, 2011
Abacha n Mariam went into Aso Rock.Only Mariam came out,Obasanjo went in with Stella,only Obasanjo came out.Yaradua went wit Turai,only Turai came out,so Jonathan!Jonathan!Jonathan!!!Hmmmmm.I wish u Goodluck ooooooooo!
Re: Jonathan Suspends The Minister Responsible For Internal Security by luluosas(m): 1:43pm On Apr 20, 2011
@PhysicsMHD Where was all this indignation when Obasanjo - who could not even win in his home state - was rigged in? The North was silent then.

Mention the year you are referring to because, in 1999, there were only 2 Presidential candidates, who were both Yorubas, Obasanjo and Olu Falae.

@PhysicsMHD Did the electorate - particularly that of the North - indicate that enough was enough after the much more heavily criticized 2007 elections that saw the late Umaru Musa Yar'Adua into power? Where was the rioting, murder, and destruction then? Or does this kind of indignation only occur at certain specific times?

I don't seem to get what you are driving at. When the 2007 Presidential elections was rigged in favour of Yar'Adua, a Notherner, did you people in the South protests? Was it not because he was the candidate of PDP that cause you people to keep quiet in the midst of widespread evidence of fraud? Where you expecting the Notherners take up arms against their own? You must be out of your mind for reasoning so low. Wake up. Jonathan RIGGED this election period. If you are annoyed that people are challenging his suppose mandate, go and hang yourself.
Re: Jonathan Suspends The Minister Responsible For Internal Security by Chyz2: 1:51pm On Apr 20, 2011
Helping imo pdp rig the tuesday elections will only make things worse for jonathan.he should stay out of this one.I hope he is aware what rochas will do if he is rigged out(not to talk of the imo people).
Re: Jonathan Suspends The Minister Responsible For Internal Security by kglamour(m): 1:58pm On Apr 20, 2011
How many ministers, AIGs, IG, SSS Chiefs suspended for 1st october bombing, jos mayhem, boko whatever etc since.
FRESH AIR INDEED
FRESH AIR LATORI AKITAN
Re: Jonathan Suspends The Minister Responsible For Internal Security by Kx: 2:01pm On Apr 20, 2011
Isapro1:

Abacha n Mariam went into Aso Rock.Only Mariam came out,Obasanjo went in with Stella,only Obasanjo came out.Yaradua went wit Turai,only Turai came out,so Jonathan!Jonathan!Jonathan!!!Hmmmmm.I wish u Goodluck ooooooooo!
Permutation amd combination made in Nigeria.
Can this trend be a mere coincidence?
Re: Jonathan Suspends The Minister Responsible For Internal Security by Kenyy: 2:04pm On Apr 20, 2011
Kx:

Permutation amd combination made in Nigeria.
Can this trend be a mere coincidence?
Only in a day dream!
Re: Jonathan Suspends The Minister Responsible For Internal Security by juman(m): 2:07pm On Apr 20, 2011
A statement by the spokesman to the president, Ima Niboro, said that the suspension comes "as a result of a number of lapses in the political leadership of the ministry traceable to his personal and official conduct. For now, his continued manning of the ministry is not in the interest of the nation."

The man was accused of anti party activities. Right.

But removing the minister for non performance for what happened was OK.

The minister supposed to have planned and coordinated the activities of all the security agencies well.

President Jonathan has to start from somewhere.

This is new dawn
Re: Jonathan Suspends The Minister Responsible For Internal Security by Sadeddy: 2:15pm On Apr 20, 2011
AYODEJI4LOVE:

Nairalanders do we have to blame GEJ for this,i dont think so and am really disappointed checking the reply of some nairalanders on this move.well sha.everybody is free to make his or her opinion,and the way i see things may be different from the way another person reason, but there is a place of common sense.
I totally agree with u
Re: Jonathan Suspends The Minister Responsible For Internal Security by klear(f): 2:31pm On Apr 20, 2011
Y is d president meting out selective punishment if he really wants clean out incompetent ministers? angry angry ( show me d minister who is doing his/her job well n Nigeria?)d  maintenance of law & order during election falls under every security body in d country, wat is d police & d solders doing ? ( all tins being equal, he shld have sacked d IG 4 failing 2 resolve d Jos crisis, bomb blasts, kidnapping etc dat has been going on since he took over)The man was used as a scape goat period! ( 2 pacify whoever dat nids 2 b pacified) If dis is d path Jonathan wants 2 toe den d joke will b on him at d end of d day. lipsrsealed
Re: Jonathan Suspends The Minister Responsible For Internal Security by vislabraye(m): 2:33pm On Apr 20, 2011
He did well, so what the heck?
Re: Jonathan Suspends The Minister Responsible For Internal Security by lifeagift: 2:37pm On Apr 20, 2011
if the guy need to clean up the house why not leave him to do the job the way it should be done and shun tribalism.abeg una make una live oga GEJ. THE GUY JUST START THE REAL WORK NOW.
Re: Jonathan Suspends The Minister Responsible For Internal Security by Bog12: 2:49pm On Apr 20, 2011
What i am thinking is quite difference and you not getting it since IBB left Aso Rock did you guys follow the trend?, Abacha went into Aso Rock with Mariam, only Mariam came out, Obasanjo went in with Stella, only Obasanjo came out, Yaradua went in with Turai, only Turai came out, Jonathan!! Jonathan!! Jonathan!!! Hmmmm, I wish you goodluck o,

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Suspends The Minister Responsible For Internal Security by Sadeddy: 3:13pm On Apr 20, 2011
Bog12:

What i am thinking is quite difference and you not getting it since IBB left Aso Rock did you guys follow the trend?, Abacha went into Aso Rock with Mariam, only Mariam came out, Obasanjo went in with Stella, only Obasanjo came out, Yaradua went in with Turai, only Turai came out, Jonathan!! Jonathan!! Jonathan!!! Hmmmm, I wish you goodluck o,
he is a man with plenty of luck, u never can tell,he may safely come out of offiice with even an addition,
Re: Jonathan Suspends The Minister Responsible For Internal Security by ufumes(m): 3:15pm On Apr 20, 2011
Abacha n Mariam went into
Aso Rock.Only Mariam came
out,Obasanjo went in with
Stella,only Obasanjo came
out.Yaradua went wit
Turai,only Turai came out,so
Jonathan!Jonathan!Jonathan!!!
Hmmmmm.I wish u Goodluck
ooooooooo!

An interesting analysis. Lol
Re: Jonathan Suspends The Minister Responsible For Internal Security by Ibime(m): 3:36pm On Apr 20, 2011
When GEJ went out of his way during the presidential election debate to tell the nation that he is loyal to PDP, many did not grasp the full extent of the statement.
Re: Jonathan Suspends The Minister Responsible For Internal Security by whyman(m): 4:29pm On Apr 20, 2011
Please,, help us tell police that just arresting anybody without investigation shows that they are crooks.

My in-law was arrested in his rented house in Kano and taken to court this morning as one of those that perpetrates the mayhem.

Thank God that the wife was away to her family house on the outskirts of the city maybe she would be arrested as well. Most of those arrested now are from other parts of the country. But because they earn their livelihood there, they are in trouble if anything happens.

The law agent did not cover for them and the locals too are their confirmed enemy in times of trouble.

Where to run to?
Re: Jonathan Suspends The Minister Responsible For Internal Security by luluosas(m): 4:31pm On Apr 20, 2011
@Ibime When GEJ went out of his way during the presidential election debate to tell the nation that he is loyal to PDP, many did not grasp the full extent of the statement.

How do you expect them to reason about it, when they were fully drunk with the WINE of deception that Jonathan gave them. The false smile and false hope was very intoxicating to the essence that, a lot of educated illiterate fools forgot who they where. Now, the drunkenness is beginning to clear from their eyes and alas, it is too late, though all GENUINE hope is not totally lost.
Re: Jonathan Suspends The Minister Responsible For Internal Security by Diligence: 5:11pm On Apr 20, 2011
If u don't hv details and u're rambling over crumbs of news - get real!
Re: Jonathan Suspends The Minister Responsible For Internal Security by supereagle(m): 5:47pm On Apr 20, 2011
There is more to his sacking than the alegations against him. They do not want him to be a stumbling block to the Guber election. I see Imolites voting against the ruling GOVT to protest the sacking.
Re: Jonathan Suspends The Minister Responsible For Internal Security by dayokanu(m): 6:03pm On Apr 20, 2011
Fresh air indeed
Re: Jonathan Suspends The Minister Responsible For Internal Security by dipotech: 3:31pm On Apr 21, 2011
Please continue to pray for GEJ, he's sincere and honest and we need someone like that to get to promise land. Even when Obasanjo (ex-soldier) was in power, the security was no total. Let us give our full support to GEJ. He will do well by God's grace.

No one can provide full security not even Buhari if he had won. Please let support this administration.
Re: Jonathan Suspends The Minister Responsible For Internal Security by Dede1(m): 7:30pm On Apr 21, 2011
@POST

The people of SE geopolitical zone should hold GEJ’s leg to the fire for sacking the interior Minister. Which of the service chiefs report to the Minister of Internal affairs? Who are the people included in the meetings partnering to security of the country during imminent danger? I can not fathom the firing of the minister when the ministry does not have large number of force or security operatives directly under the control of the minister. This action of GEJ is very unacceptable to Ndigbo. This is a display of political ingratitude.
Re: Jonathan Suspends The Minister Responsible For Internal Security by omogidi234(m): 7:54pm On Apr 21, 2011
juman:

The man was accused of anti party activities. Right.

But removing the minister for non performance for what happened was OK.

The minister supposed to have planned and coordinated the activities of all the security agencies well.

President Jonathan has to start from somewhere.

This is new dawn

New dawn my foot. If you are not conversant with a topic can't you shut up? Must you post in every thread? I expect that if you are low, you should at least read what others have posted before posting yours. Over 10 posters have laid bare here facts/legislation to show that the Interior minister is not responsible for our security. Even if he was, Police, SSS, NIA, Armed forces etc (save only Civil Defence that are not armed ) are not answerable to him.  Please stop posting some dumb stuff here.
Re: Jonathan Suspends The Minister Responsible For Internal Security by Mekana(m): 6:19pm On Apr 22, 2011
Dede1:

@POST

The people of SE geopolitical zone should hold GEJ’s leg to the fire for sacking the interior Minister. Which of the service chiefs report to the Minister of Internal affairs? Who are the people included in the meetings partnering to security of the country during imminent danger? I can not fathom the firing of the minister when the ministry does not have large number of force or security operatives directly under the control of the minister. This action of GEJ is very unacceptable to Ndigbo. This is a display of political ingratitude. 

This issue should not be trivialized into petty parochial discourse. He wasn't fired on the grounds of incompetence, nor because he was Igbo. He was pushed aside because of internal power play in PDP on the one hand, and on other, Imo state's political intrigues. This scenario can generically apply to any state or geopolitical zone.
Re: Jonathan Suspends The Minister Responsible For Internal Security by willdave: 9:07am On Apr 24, 2011
Please we need fresh air indeed. Anyone that will not promote or will not move GEJ's government to the next level should be taking out of sit.
Re: Jonathan Suspends The Minister Responsible For Internal Security by Akosbaba(m): 12:11am On Apr 25, 2011
Nice one joe
Re: Jonathan Suspends The Minister Responsible For Internal Security by ikhiaonose: 6:27pm On Apr 25, 2011
this could be a good step in the right direction for economic and security stability.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ekiti Reps Member Commends Fayose On His Criticism Of Buhari / Osun Election: INEC Presents Certificate Of Return To APC’s Oyetola / Okorocha: I Have No Problem With EFCC Arresting Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.