Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,106 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:09 PM

Imo Governorship Elections Fraught With Violence - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Imo Governorship Elections Fraught With Violence (2323 Views)

Imo Governorship Re-run Election: Okorocha In Early Lead / IMO Governorship Election Result / Imo 2015: Agbaso Returns To Pdp,declares For Imo Governorship (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Imo Governorship Elections Fraught With Violence by ektbear: 6:37am On Apr 27, 2011
By Steve Uzoechi
April 27, 2011 01:57AM

The governorship election in Imo State was fraught with diverse electoral malpractices, ranging from ballot box snatching, ballot stuffing, thuggery, and outright voters disenfranchisement.

The opposition parties in the state have blamed these electoral malfeasance on the ruling People’s Democratic Party (PDP).

In Owerri North council area, as at 6.20pm, no election materials have been brought to over five polling centres in the Okigwe Road and Orji areas of the council. While there were security agents at the polling units, there were no INEC officials in two of the polling units.

In a polling unit in Ihiagwa, Owerri West council area, voters refused to vote with what they described as ‘fake electoral materials’ brought in after some individuals, claiming to be policemen, took away the original materials and brought a different set after three hours.

At Uzoagba, in Ikeduru council area, electoral materials in booth 8 were snatched by unidentified hoodlums. Also at Okwu, Eziama, and Ugirike wards, ballot boxes and all electoral materials were snatched by unknown gunmen. Amaimo Central School of the same council erupted in a free-for-all-fight following suspicions of manipulation.

At Nguru centre in Aboh Mbaise council area, men in army uniform, wielding military rifles, took away electoral materials in the area.

In the same Aboh Mbaise, Godfrey Dikeocha, a former Speaker of the State Assembly and aide to governor Ikedi Ohakim and one Ogunewe Princewill, a representative at Okeovoro Development Centre, allegedly stormed polling units with armed thugs, two of whom were identified as Udochukwu Onyekwere and Ekwueme Nweke. The polling booths raided are at Umunebie Ndigbu Uvuru.

“As at 6.10pm, there was no voting in the entire Ngor Okpala council area of Imo State due to issues ranging from the absence of result sheets to the unavailability of other relevant documents for the elections,” the chairman of the All Nigerian People’s Party (ANPP), Vitalis Ajumbe, said.

Snatching ballots

Ballot papers were allegedly taken away from these polling units and thumb printed for the PDP outside the polling station by armed thugs hired by some officials of the state government.

There were many casualties, including one Hapuruchi Ejiekpe who was seriously injured and is hospitalised.

Also at Ezinihitte council area of the state, Chinemerem Madu, the PDP chairman of the area, allegedly invaded polling booth 004, Ward 1, Amumara, Ezinihitte, with thugs; allegedly compelling voters to vote PDP and openly sharing money to people.

A retired SSS officer, Joebra Nwachukwu, was reported to have been nearly assaulted when he challenged them. The police were called in, but did not intervene in the matter and left in their Imo Transport Company (ITC) commercial bus, Registration No. XC 846 WER.

Some of the colluding policemen were identified as Ekene Basil (401435); Chilaka Duru (427155); Paul Sunday (without number), and others.

It was a theatre of war in Oguta council area, as sporadic gunshots were heard from different areas, especially the Izombe community where two of the major contenders for the House of Assembly seat came from. There was rampant snatching of ballot boxes and electoral materials at Izombe.

There was also unconfirmed report of an arrest at a hotel in the state capital, where people were caught thumb printing in one of the hotel rooms, although the police spokesperson refused to confirm it.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5694123-146/story.csp
Re: Imo Governorship Elections Fraught With Violence by Kobojunkie: 6:44am On Apr 27, 2011
e wooo . . . . 'Almajiris' have moved to Imo State ooo!!!!! Do the Nairaland Ibo warriors know of this?? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Imo Governorship Elections Fraught With Violence by EkoIle1: 6:50am On Apr 27, 2011
Home grown almajiri, lmao

And they're running up and down NL trashing the northerners?

talk about almajiri SE edition,
Re: Imo Governorship Elections Fraught With Violence by aloyemeka2: 6:57am On Apr 27, 2011
Kobojunkie:

e wooo . . . . 'Almajiris' have moved to Imo State ooo!!!!! Do the Nairaland Ibo warriors know of this??  shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

You are beginning to sound like the usual nairaland dumbites. How many people were sliced by angry youths like the amajiris do?. There have been election violence in virtually every part of the world but rarely will you hear the sort of slicing and butchering associated with the ones amajiris do. You people should desist from making mockery of other people's misfortune and to think that you are among those bigots who do that is alarming.
Re: Imo Governorship Elections Fraught With Violence by Nobody: 6:58am On Apr 27, 2011
aloy-emeka:

You are beginning to sound like the usual nairaland dumbites. How many people were sliced by angry youths like the amajiris do?. There have been election violence in virtually every part of the world but rarely will you hear the sort of slicing and butchering associated with the ones amajiris do. You people should desist from making mockery of other people's misfortune and to think that you are among those bigots who do that is alarming.

ediot like you would never get sarcasm grin

Always hyperventilating on what is not her business. Were!

Original dumbite queen.
Re: Imo Governorship Elections Fraught With Violence by aloyemeka2: 7:01am On Apr 27, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

ediot like you would never get sarcasm  grin

Always hyperventilating on what is not her business. Were!

Original dumbite queen.

Sarcasm over people's death?. Did you find it funny when Bawomolo was murdered?. These corpers murdered by amajiris are people's siblings and children. Did your mother bosom feed you at all or were you one of those broads  raised by welfare parents in Florida?
Re: Imo Governorship Elections Fraught With Violence by zstranger: 7:02am On Apr 27, 2011
TBH, Imo Almanjiris look well fed, relative to their kins up-North.
Re: Imo Governorship Elections Fraught With Violence by Nobody: 7:03am On Apr 27, 2011
aloy-emeka:

Sarcasm over people's death?. Did your mother bosom feed you at all or were you one of those broads  raised by welfare parents in Florida?

Sarcasm better than the ecstacy you feel for the death of those who gives no shiitte about you.
Run along and go post another Ekiti thread/ any anti-yoruba thread grin

Dumbite queen.
Re: Imo Governorship Elections Fraught With Violence by Kobojunkie: 7:05am On Apr 27, 2011
Oh!! I see . . . now I see where the goal post has been moved now!

It is only to be considered violence and the horror terrible if and only if people get hacked to death, right? Our papers should not even bother reporting the violence at all . . . only when blood is shed should it be considered cause for alarm and we find the next group to claim we weep for, right
Re: Imo Governorship Elections Fraught With Violence by Nobody: 7:06am On Apr 27, 2011
^^^ Nah, election [b]violence [/b]only happens in the North.
Re: Imo Governorship Elections Fraught With Violence by aloyemeka2: 7:07am On Apr 27, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Oh!! I see . . . now I see where the goal post has been moved now!

It is only to be considered violence and the horror terrible if and only if people get hacked to death, right? Our papers should not even bother reporting the violence at all . . . only when blood is shed should it be considered cause for alarm and we find the next group to claim we weep for, right
Where did I say that?. You were clearly poking fun at what happened in the North using this saga and it has nothing to do with the reports. I don't have the ample time like you do to argue up and down but if you call yourself a Christian, please desist from poking fun at people's misfortune for your own life is not hung on the tree. You or your family member may be next.
Re: Imo Governorship Elections Fraught With Violence by zstranger: 7:09am On Apr 27, 2011
^^^

And when people are killed for stealing/'hustling', we claim they were killed because they were Ibo.

Talk about inconsistency on the part of our deluded, human-eating, fake drug peddling neighbors east of the Niger.
Re: Imo Governorship Elections Fraught With Violence by samm(m): 7:10am On Apr 27, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Sarcasm better than the ecstacy you feel for the death of those who gives no shiitte about you.
Run along and go post another Ekiti thread/ any anti-yoruba thread grin

Dumbite queen.

shocked Empathy more like.
Re: Imo Governorship Elections Fraught With Violence by zstranger: 7:10am On Apr 27, 2011
aloy-emeka:

Where did I say that?. You were clearly poking fun at what happened in the North using this saga and it has nothing to do with the reports. I don't have the ample time like you do to argue up and down but if you call yourself a Christian, please desist from poking fun at people's misfortune for your own life is not hung on the tree. You or your family member may be next.

Are you trying to threaten Kobo?  You should be shot for that post.
Re: Imo Governorship Elections Fraught With Violence by Nobody: 7:12am On Apr 27, 2011
aloy-emeka:

Yet you have the amplest of all ample time to run from NL to NVS to post tribalist threads.
Thank God you do not have the ample time. What would happen if ample time slaps you in the face.
Re: Imo Governorship Elections Fraught With Violence by Kobojunkie: 7:12am On Apr 27, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

^^^ Nah, election [b]violence [/b]only happens in the North.

Of course naw . . .  na only almajiri's dey do violence . . . . any other reports that this was not perpetrated by the Almajiri section of the North is to be ignored 100%. How can any violence by perpetrated by any other group when we still have almajiri's boku for north and apparently, even in Imo state??  shocked shocked shocked shocked In fact, know that this is probably all Buhari fault on some level . . . we will definitely find one way to pin him and Almajiri's from the north for this and every suggestion that elections were not free and fair in Imo state ooO!!
Re: Imo Governorship Elections Fraught With Violence by samm(m): 7:17am On Apr 27, 2011
Just curious, Do the yorubas here actually have Igbo friends? And the same question goes for the Igbos.  I'm curious to know if these negative tribal sentiments are voiced only here on Nairaland.  Is the dislike real?
Re: Imo Governorship Elections Fraught With Violence by macjive01: 7:17am On Apr 27, 2011
Kobo, go and sit your fat arse somewhere in Chicago and sip lemon tea. In what way does the above translate to Almajiri ?

These well fed young men, most likely all have university degrees, do they in anyway describe your blood sucking Almajiri siblings? sorry cousins?

When has demonstration become a crime, a crime so grievous to be ascribe as Almajiri ?

Did u see any youth corper getting lynched? Ehhh.  . . Burnt? . .  . Property distroyed?

I respect your religion- Islam, ok that's your choice,  but never u, in anyway, or circumstance even attempt to relate your malicious, Allah induced, intolerant character to pure-blooded IGBOs demonstrating their civil right.

S.illy cow!
Re: Imo Governorship Elections Fraught With Violence by Nobody: 7:20am On Apr 27, 2011
Some people needa learn to discuss with their better. Awon were po s'ori NL yii sha.

Kobojunkie:

Of course naw . . .  na only almajiri's dey do violence . . . . any other reports that this was not perpetrated by the Almajiri section of the North is to be ignored 100%. How can any violence by perpetrated by any other group when we still have almajiri's boku for north and apparently, even in Imo state??  shocked shocked shocked shocked In fact[b], know that this is probably all Buhari fault on some level .[/b] . . we will definitely find one way to pin him and Almajiri's from the north for this and every suggestion that elections were not free and fair in Imo state ooO!!

On some level ke? It is 100% Buhari's fault.
Re: Imo Governorship Elections Fraught With Violence by Kobojunkie: 7:20am On Apr 27, 2011
samm:

Just curious, Do the yorubas here actually have Igbo friends? And the same question goes for the Igbos.  I'm curious to know if these negative tribal sentiments are voiced only here on Nairaland.  Is the dislike real?

lol . . . What a question . . .

. . seriously, if you were to find out that one of these tribalists on Nairaland was actually a friend of yours, say from another tribe, would you believe him/her if he/she told you it was all just for Nairaland  . .  no real feelings expressed in all this?? Would you really want to continue being friends with such a person knowing the truth of the person's posts on nairaland on other tribes, even yours?  undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Imo Governorship Elections Fraught With Violence by Nobody: 7:22am On Apr 27, 2011
Kobojunkie:

e wooo . . . . 'Almajiris' have moved to Imo State ooo!!!!! Do the Nairaland Ibo warriors know of this??  shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

A very irrational and evil-minded comment. In fact, you are evil!!!
Re: Imo Governorship Elections Fraught With Violence by aloyemeka2: 7:24am On Apr 27, 2011
macjive01:

Kobo, go and sit your fat arse somewhere in Chicago and sip lemon tea. In what way does the above translate to Almajiri ?

These well fed young men, most likely all have university degrees, do they in anyway describe your blood sucking Almajiri siblings? sorry cousins?

When has demostration become a crime, a crime so grievous to be ascribe as Almajiri ?

Did u see any youth corper getting lynched? Ehhh.  . . Burnt? . .  . Property distroyed?

I respect your religion- Islam, ok that's your choice,  but never u, in anyway, or circumstance even attempt to relate your malicious, Allah induced, intolerant character to pure-blooded IGBOs demonstrating their civil right.

S.illy cow!

It is only a fool who compares a bucket of water with Atlantic ocean. Whatever the case is, I am not against the report after all violence has marred elections everywhere in Nigeria but when one is using the death of young people as a tool to throw tantrums, it becomes another thing altogether. May I remind them that all the 50 corpers who died in bauchi or one of those amajiri heavens were not Igbo?. This tribalism here is becoming silly by the minute. How can someone who claims to be born again be making fun of other people's misfortune?
Re: Imo Governorship Elections Fraught With Violence by Pataki: 7:24am On Apr 27, 2011
Suddenly all those Ibo eediots shouting CPC - Almajiris are no where near this thread.

While 7 people have been killed already in Imo State. Wonder why the thirst for blood is this high.

The truth is that, violence is no respecter of region, religion, or tribe, and so equally is election rigging.
Re: Imo Governorship Elections Fraught With Violence by onyengbu: 7:26am On Apr 27, 2011
That question was meant for u kobo.
You are the only person on this thread displaying bigotry.
Re: Imo Governorship Elections Fraught With Violence by ektbear: 7:39am On Apr 27, 2011
I don't see what the point of tribalism in this thread is. People have a right to resist their votes being rigged, in my opinion. Comparisons with northerners don't make sense, since to my knowledge non-indigenes aren't being targeted.
Re: Imo Governorship Elections Fraught With Violence by aloyemeka2: 8:03am On Apr 27, 2011
ekt_bear:

I don't see what the point of tribalism in this thread is. People have a right to resist their votes being rigged, in my opinion. Comparisons with northerners don't make sense, since to my knowledge non-indigenes aren't being targeted.

Election violence has been everywhere in nigeria and sometimes few thugs kill each other or some politicians assassinate another but nowhere has the carnage in the North been reported before. Afterall, 2 prominent politicians were assassinated in the North in the last 4 months but people did not make so much noise about it because it happens and can happen anywhere in Nigeria but massacring battalions is outrageous and to think that some people find it funny is very cold. The north looks for any reason that will trigger them to start massacring Southerners. If it is not politics, it will be religion or land dispute or cattle dispute or tomato dispute and so on. As a matter of fact, I am afraid of writing anything against them again because the next carnage in the North will be over something written about them on Nairaland. And it happens approximately every 6 months; count 6 months from April 2011 and you will hear another massacre(major ones and not minor ones o).
Re: Imo Governorship Elections Fraught With Violence by samm(m): 8:05am On Apr 27, 2011
Kobojunkie:

lol . . . What a question . . .

. . seriously, if you were to find out that one of these tribalists on Nairaland was actually a friend of yours, say from another tribe, would you believe him/her if he/she told you it was all just for Nairaland  . .  no real feelings expressed in all this??  Would you really want to continue being friends with such a person knowing the truth of the person's posts on nairaland on other tribes, even yours?  undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

Indeed what a question.  I thought it was just a way of folks letting off steam on some sensitive issues that bother them.  But I guess it really is skin deep.

Oh well. While the fight goes on here, people are sensibly forging and maintaining inter-tribal relationship outside of the internet.  You see the real world actually forces you to think before you speak/write.  

All, find ways to deal with the issues that bother you.  Most times, the issues are really with you.
Re: Imo Governorship Elections Fraught With Violence by EkoIle1: 8:26am On Apr 27, 2011
uote author=aloy-emeka link=topic=654889.msg8211802#msg8211802 date=1303887785]
Election violence has been everywhere in nigeria and sometimes few thugs kill each other or some politicians assassinate another but nowhere has the carnage in the North been reported before. Afterall, 2 prominent politicians were assassinated in the North in the last 4 months but people did not make so much noise about it because it happens and can happen anywhere in Nigeria but massacring battalions is outrageous and to think that some people find it funny is very cold. The north looks for any reason that will trigger them to start massacring Southerners. If it is not politics, it will be religion or land dispute or cattle dispute or tomato dispute and so on. As a matter of fact, I am afraid of writing anything against them again because the next carnage in the North will be over something written about them on Nairaland. And it happens approximately every 6 months; count 6 months from April 2011 and you will hear another massacre(major ones and not minor ones o).
[quote][/quote]

See comedy. So almajiri get special listening station on NL where den dey listen to everything coming out of your i.diotic mouth,
Re: Imo Governorship Elections Fraught With Violence by 1025: 8:36am On Apr 27, 2011
free and fair elections all the ways.
this is a shame of a country and the most annoying thing here is that even our (paid)foriegn observers will tell u, this is the best ever elections in the history of man
Re: Imo Governorship Elections Fraught With Violence by williams85(m): 10:05am On Apr 27, 2011
Apga all the way. From results declared apga(rochas) has the majority votes in the local government, PDP(ohakim) has only two(obowo and ihite uboma)
Re: Imo Governorship Elections Fraught With Violence by gidson12(m): 12:05pm On Apr 27, 2011
that pics is not from imo state, it was a pic from the riot in kaduna,
ekt_bear:

exactly
Re: Imo Governorship Elections Fraught With Violence by zstranger: 12:10pm On Apr 27, 2011
^^^

Those guys look Ibo to me.

Will you stop lying?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lagos: Echoes Of Praises On Cameron’s Visit / World Bank To Support Nigeria’s Agro Sector With $500m / ........

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.