Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,002 members, 7,841,850 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 03:49 PM

Design A Flag For Odua - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Design A Flag For Odua (14572 Views)

Odua, Diaspora Groups Endorse Jonathan’s Re-election Bid / BREAKING NEWS: South Carolina Sheriff Refuses To Lower Flag For Nelson Mandela / Lower All Flag For Ojukwu And Declare A National Holiday by Musiwa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Design A Flag For Odua by yarodin: 12:35am On May 05, 2011
why are these internet Yoruba people deceiving themselves? We all know ashewo cannot live alone.
Re: Design A Flag For Odua by ektbear: 12:37am On May 05, 2011
Katsumoto:

I disagree and I suspect many in odua and Niger State will as well. The reasoning behind your plan is not dissimilar to the reasons why some wanted Nigeria at all costs even when it was obvious that it was going to be an uphill task. I suspect people in Niger State will be offended by that reason.
I'm not trying to colonize Niger State. Or remove Nupe sovereignty, or whatever. They are certainly entitled to go whichever way they want. But I just think that if naija scatters, their southern neighbors (us) can offer them something a bit more attractive than their northern neighbors (Hausa-Fulani). If they don't want to come along, no wahala. . . it is their choice entirely.

Anyway, alright. If SW doesn't want them too, then there is nothing I can do about that. I just think that it would make sense to at least explore the option, rather than ruling it out entirely.
Re: Design A Flag For Odua by lagcity(m): 12:52am On May 05, 2011
Yoruba ain't going nowhere. For Yoruba to start thinking of going anywhere, we must have been screwed so many times over like some unlucky ethnic groups in Nigeria. It's kind of hard to foresee Yoruba being screwed in Nigeria since we know how to handle our business. We are cool. Not moving an inch. Nigeria is sweet.
Re: Design A Flag For Odua by Desola(f): 12:58am On May 05, 2011
We don't want any Hausa in our mix o. Leave Niger be! angry angry

Why the 'oju kokoro' now? angry
Re: Design A Flag For Odua by EzeUche2(m): 12:59am On May 05, 2011
You Yorubas are funny. Now that you all are in opposition, you all want your own nation now.

The same garbage has spread to Nigerian Village Square. grin
Re: Design A Flag For Odua by PhysicsMHD(m): 1:00am On May 05, 2011
@ ekt bear,

Nupes are 100% Northerners. Gwari too.
Re: Design A Flag For Odua by ektbear: 1:04am On May 05, 2011
Niger State is mostly Nupe. They aren't the same as Hausa-Fulani  undecided

PhysicsMHD:

@ ekt bear,

Nupes are 100% Northerners. Gwari too.

Yes, they are considered part of the North now. But if naija scatters and they are offered the choice of joining a primarily Hausa nation or the republic to the direct south of them, which do you think they'll likely choose? At least, if they were thinking rationally.
Re: Design A Flag For Odua by PhysicsMHD(m): 1:06am On May 05, 2011
^^^^

They'll choose the North. It's not about rationality. It's about whether they would consent to taking orders from their brother(s), or from a stranger.
Re: Design A Flag For Odua by ektbear: 1:09am On May 05, 2011
^-- And what if said "stranger" offers a true federation, with local autonomy?

That way, nobody is ruling anyone else?

That seems preferable (at least to me) to what would likely be being ruled by an entirely different ethnic group (Hausa-Fulani).

I wish there were some Nupe posters here so I could get a sense of how they think. But I wonder about this assumption that your typical Nupe man views the Hausa-Fulani as his "brother."
Re: Design A Flag For Odua by Justcash(m): 1:11am On May 05, 2011
OH! Now you guys are willing to leave? I laugh in Ozalanistan lingua. I thought it was one Nigeria or nothing?
That aside, all those flags that you guys produced all look like JUJU version of red cross symbol. You guys can do better, can't you?  
grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Design A Flag For Odua by PhysicsMHD(m): 1:12am On May 05, 2011
ekt_bear:

^-- And what if said "stranger" offers a true federation, with local autonomy?

That way, nobody is ruling anyone else?

That seems preferable (at least to me) to what would likely be being ruled by an entirely different ethnic group (Hausa-Fulani).

I wish there were some Nupe posters here so I could get a sense of how they think. But I wonder about this assumption that your typical Nupe man views the Hausa-Fulani as his "brother."

How would a true federation with local autonomy offer any advantage to the Yorubas such that they would make the proposal in the first place?

From the way you were talking about using their land in the future, I think you might have a different conception of autonomy than the standard meaning of the word.
Re: Design A Flag For Odua by nduchucks: 1:18am On May 05, 2011
When you people are able to convince GEJ to convene a national conference, you'll be taken seriously. The only way to secede is through war which you people will lose woefully. How can you manage/win a war against the warriors of the North and the adequate soldiers from the SS and SE? If I were you, I'd spend time designing roads than a flag which has zero chance of flying in Nigeria for the next 50 - 100 years.

O[b]dudu[/b]wa republic ko, O[b]funfun[/b]wa republic ni.   cheesy
Re: Design A Flag For Odua by ektbear: 1:21am On May 05, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

How would a true federation with local autonomy offer any advantage to the Yorubas such that they would make the proposal in the first place?
Freedom of movement and less constraints on investment I think are useful. Even in the short term. . . acquiring big swathes of farmland is sort of hard to do at least in my state within the SW. But as big and unpopulated as Niger State is, it would be very easy. And in the long term, just as it happened in the US, some of that farmland might end up as population centers (especially if road/transportation networks improve.)

I think that there are substantial advantages for both sides.

From the way you were talking about using their land in the future, I think you might have a different conception of autonomy than the standard meaning of the word.
Well, towns/cities can be founded without violating autonomy, right? If some guy decides to build a housing estate on some farmland he bought in Niger State, and eventually this turns into a town/city, does this violate autonomy?
Re: Design A Flag For Odua by EzeUche2(m): 1:22am On May 05, 2011
Justcash:

OH! Now you guys are willing to leave? I laugh in Ozalanistan lingua. I thought it was one Nigeria or nothing?
That aside, all those flags that you guys produced all look like JUJU version of red cross symbol. You guys can do better, can't you?  
grin grin grin grin grin grin

They can't. . .  grin

Only the Biafran flag looks good.

Re: Design A Flag For Odua by EzeUche2(m): 1:24am On May 05, 2011
PhysicsMHD you are needed in this thread. cool

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-660233.0.html#bot
Re: Design A Flag For Odua by alex101(m): 1:24am On May 05, 2011
ndu_chucks:

When you people are able to convince GEJ to convene a national conference, you'll be taken seriously. The only way to secede is through war which you people will lose woefully. How can you manage/win a war against the warriors of the North and the adequate soldiers from the SS and SE? If I were you, I'd spend time designing roads than a flag which has zero chance of flying in Nigeria for the next 50 - 100 years.

GBAM! GBAM! GBOSA! cheesy grin grin  SPLENDID cool
Re: Design A Flag For Odua by PhysicsMHD(m): 1:33am On May 05, 2011
ekt_bear:

Freedom of movement and less constraints on investment I think are useful. Even in the short term. . . acquiring big swathes of farmland is sort of hard to do at least in my state within the SW. But as big and unpopulated as Niger State is, it would be very easy. And in the long term, just as it happened in the US, some of that farmland might end up as population centers (especially if road/transportation networks improve.)

1. The pattern of settlement among Yorubas in the post-Oyo era is highly urbanized. In what way is their movement less "free" in an only Yoruba country when they're going to be concentrated around specific areas, rather than spread out? I don't really get this point.
2. What investment advantages does having more land offer?
3. How could Yorubas acquire big swathes of farmland in another group's land?
4. I thought you said "I'm not trying to colonize Niger State" in your discussion with Katsumoto. But what you're describing here, isn't it basically just that?

I think that there are substantial advantages for both sides.
Well, towns/cities can be founded without violating autonomy, right? If some guy decides to build a housing estate on some farmland he bought in Niger State, and eventually this turns into a town/city, does this violate autonomy?

The main concern is avoiding a situation like the old Port Harcourt, where an educationally and economically superior group moves in with wealth, goals, ambition, and technical skill from the hinterland, and without even planning to, reduces formerly sovereign groups to tenants on their own land, with their actions not curtailed by the government. I don't think you have factored in the differences between Nupes and Yorubas in your scenario.
Re: Design A Flag For Odua by PhysicsMHD(m): 1:33am On May 05, 2011
EzeUche_:

PhysicsMHD you are needed in this thread. cool

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-660233.0.html#bot

Why?
Re: Design A Flag For Odua by EzeUche2(m): 1:36am On May 05, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

Why?

Jason referred to you so I need your input.
Re: Design A Flag For Odua by orisun: 1:38am On May 05, 2011
@ Ekt_bear. Have you considered the fact that the Nupes may want to form their own sovereign political state as well. I think we should be thinking of working with them as partners/allies in the self determination struggle, as opposed to subtly scheming to appropriate their territory.
Re: Design A Flag For Odua by ektbear: 1:49am On May 05, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

1. The pattern of settlement among Yorubas in the post-Oyo era is highly urbanized. In what way is their movement less "free" in an only Yoruba country when they're going to be concentrated around specific areas, rather than spread out? I don't really get this point.
I don't think that necessarily has to be the case going forward. There were historical reasons for urbanization in Yorubaland. And it doesn't even hold in all of Yorubaland. . . the Yoruba hinterland areas (like Ekiti State) aren't very urban.

Anyway, with good transportation networks, I don't see why the previous patterns of migration must go forward.

2. What investment advantages does having more land offer?
Err, tons. Farming is just one of them, like I said.

3. How could Yorubas acquire big swathes of farmland in another group's land?
Buy it? Or lease it?

4. I thought you said "I'm not trying to colonize Niger State" in your discussion with Katsumoto. But what you're describing here, isn't it basically just that?
Is the free trade and relatively open border between the US and Canada colonization?  undecided Is the EU France and Germany colonizing the rest of Europe?

The main concern is avoiding a situation like the old Port Harcourt, where an educationally and economically superior group moves in with wealth, goals, ambition, and technical skill from the hinterland, and without even planning to, reduces formerly sovereign groups to tenants on their own land, with backing from the government. I don't think you have factored in the differences between Nupes and Yorubas in your scenario.
I'm not trying to steal away Nupe land, like the Igbos did to the Ijaw. I think that there could be a mutually beneficial relationship here.

Furthermore, the advantages for Niger State in this scenario are substantial. . .  after all, Yorubaland is probably 2X or 3X as rich (per capita) as Nupeland is right now. Not to mention access to the sea, investment opportunities, etc.

Anyway, even if you view this still as colonization. . . which group would one prefer to be colonized by? The poor, landlocked Hausa? Or your wealthier neighbors to the south, who actually stand a decent chance of building a pretty decent country?
Re: Design A Flag For Odua by ektbear: 1:59am On May 05, 2011
Basically, there are many different models. Not all of them have to be oppressive in nature. The UK model, Spanish model, Canadian model. . . all very good ones that I think keep the minority groups well-represented and happy. I think most of the above examples are win-win. Quebec for example is heavily subsidized by the rest of Canada, if I remember correctly  grin So they get to keep their own culture, while having someone else foot the bill smiley (not saying I'd want to do that for someone else, but you get the idea.)
Re: Design A Flag For Odua by PhysicsMHD(m): 2:13am On May 05, 2011
ekt_bear:

I don't think that necessarily has to be the case going forward. There were historical reasons for urbanization in Yorubaland. And it doesn't even hold in all of Yorubaland. . . the Yoruba hinterland areas (like Ekiti State) aren't very urban.

Anyway, with good transportation networks, I don't see why the previous patterns of migration must go forward.

Okay, but I don't see how Yorubas really "need" the space or the freedom of movement. Are they currently constrained in the land they have?

Err, tons. Farming is just one of them, like I said.

I assumed you meant outside investment into the country, my mistake.

Buy it? Or lease it?

What's the population of Yorubaland compared to Niger state?  undecided

Can any Yoruba man or woman just be allowed to buy up farmland in Niger state? What will the actual Nigerlanders do?

Is the free trade and relatively open border between the US and Canada colonization?  undecided Is the EU France and Germany colonizing the rest of Europe?

I don't understand the comparison. These are independent, sovereign countries. A different thing from what you proposed. There will never be a situation where Germans can contemplate using the land of any other EU country as Lebensraum for their future descendants. They can immigrate, but that's about it.

I'm not trying to steal away Nupe land, like the Igbos did to the Ijaw. I think that there could be a mutually beneficial relationship here.

The Igbos didn't try to steal Ijaw land. That wasn't what I was saying.

It would only take one Nupe political sellout to side with the national party - dominated by Yorubas of course - and there would be no stopping the gradual Yoruba takeover of that area when the influx starts.

Furthermore, the advantages for Niger State in this scenario are substantial. . .  after all, Yorubaland is probably 2X or 3X as rich (per capita) as Nupeland is right now. Not to mention access to the sea, investment opportunities, etc.

Whose riches?

The Yoruba people in Yorubaland are 2X or 3X as rich, but what you've implied is federal (government) support for the Nupes. I guess you would trade using Yoruba resources to develop their area, in which case they would just be a dependency. You would pay for the costs of developing the colony (but never to the level of Yorubaland, probably) and reap the material benefits of the land.

Anyway, even if you view this still as colonization. . . which group would one prefer to be colonized by? The poor, landlocked Hausa? Or your wealthier neighbors to the south, who actually stand a decent chance of building a pretty decent country?

Make no mistake about it, the Nupes could not be colonized by the Hausa or Fulani. They aren't like those people in Plateau state. They have some self-respect.

In addition, the Hausas do not really have the economic means to colonize them.
Re: Design A Flag For Odua by Katsumoto: 2:14am On May 05, 2011
ndu_chucks:

No one discussed how the new nation(s) will be achieved; so what is the point of stating that it can only be achieved through war. In any case, the SW is not silly enough to engage in war against ALL the other regions. Nigeria is not do-or-die; if a majority of people in a majority of regions want disintegration, your unnecessary and totally uncalled-for chest beating will not sway anyone. If my history is right, the 'WARRIORS' from the North got thier asses handed to them at Osogbo in 1840. It might have been a long time ago but that is still the most relevant score.
Re: Design A Flag For Odua by Justcash(m): 2:17am On May 05, 2011
Katsumoto:

No one discussed how the new nation(s) will be achieved; so what is the point of stating that it can only be achieved through war. In any case, the SW is silly enough to engage in war against ALL the other regions. Nigeria is not do-or-die; if a majority of people in a majority of regions want disintegration, your unnecessary and totally uncalled-for chest beating will not sway anyone. If my history is right, the 'WARRIORS' from the North got thier asses handed to them at Osogbo in 1840. It might have been a long time ago but that is still the most relevant score.

This is the first time I am hearing you speaking in support or seeing the possibility of dis-integration. Does it have something to do with the changing political order in Nigeria?
Re: Design A Flag For Odua by tpia5: 2:27am On May 05, 2011
that coat of arms doesnt look yoruba in any way.

btw i need to design mine.

i like kate windsor's own- very nice one.
Re: Design A Flag For Odua by EzeUche2(m): 2:28am On May 05, 2011
I remember a time when many of these Yoruba posters mock the Ndigbo about Biafra aspirations.

All I can say is LAGOS is not going anywhere. grin
Re: Design A Flag For Odua by Chyz2: 2:29am On May 05, 2011
tpia@:

that coat of arms doesnt look yoruba in any way.

btw i need to design mine.

i like kate windsor's own- very nice one.

Hey babe. smiley
Re: Design A Flag For Odua by ektbear: 2:30am On May 05, 2011
@PhysicsMHD:

I understand your perspective. For you, this looks purely like a land grab/colonization attempt. But I think there are some models that allow minority groups to retain local sovereignty despite being in the same country as a much larger group. It isn't every country in the world where minorities in ethnic enclaves are oppressed, or gradually forced to give up their culture.

There are lots of tools that can be used to preserve culture. Local language laws, a separate parliament, weak federal government, restriction on land sales, etc.

I still think we can make a more compelling offer than Hausaland can. Anyway, I guess I'll drop this issue for now.
Re: Design A Flag For Odua by Musiwa13: 3:17am On May 05, 2011
o\
Re: Design A Flag For Odua by Katsumoto: 3:26am On May 05, 2011
Justcash:

This is the first time I am hearing you speaking in support or seeing the possibility of dis-integration. Does it have something to do with the changing political order in Nigeria?

It is impossible to know for certain without having read all my posts; if you want to know for certain, then go through my posts. What is the changing political order in Nigeria? The change that I am happy about is that the following are no longer relevant in the SW - Bankole, OBJ and daughter, Akala, OGD, Oyinlola, Bode George, etc.

It is only the unprepared that are caught unawares by change; whether Nigeria disintegrates or not, the smart man has a plan and a contingency one as well.
Re: Design A Flag For Odua by Justcash(m): 3:55am On May 05, 2011
Katsumoto:

It is impossible to know for certain without having read all my posts; if you want to know for certain, then go through my posts. What is the changing political order in Nigeria? The change that I am happy about is that the following are no longer relevant in the SW - Bankole, OBJ and daughter, Akala, OGD, Oyinlola, Bode George, etc.

It is only the unprepared that are caught unawares by change; whether Nigeria disintegrates or not, the smart man has a plan and a contingency one as well.

Don't worry, the change will be completed after Nigeria divides. I am certain that the North will not stand an Igbo or Yoruba man being the president after GEJ. Even the source of your happiness is a clear sign of the changing order. You don't need to hear a gunshot before you know.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Insecurity: Buhari Will Be Answerable To Allah – Bafarawa / Igboland Is Not Landlocked, Opobo Is Igboland! / Herdsmen Violence: It’s Unfair To Accuse Buhari Of Killings – Gowon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.