Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,740 members, 7,817,042 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:33 AM

I stand Corrected. . . - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I stand Corrected. . . (6520 Views)

Budget: N’assembly To Return Corrected Details To Buhari Saturday / BREAKING: Buhari Sends “Corrected” 2016 Budget To National Assembly / Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I stand Corrected. . . by Katsumoto: 12:11am On May 08, 2011
mbatuku1:

You are a fool. How many of such stores exist compared to the numerous retail outlets outside those brands.

I mentioned appliances(electrical), mumu.

Your understanding of monopoly is flawed.
1. No one can be a monopolist if sells commodities.
2. There are far too many sellers for it to even be considered an oligopoly even if all the sellers belong to an identifiable group

What you have described is perfect competition.
Re: I stand Corrected. . . by ektbear: 12:20am On May 08, 2011
ezeagu:

You can't understand what population density has to do with employment and job availability,
Please tell us what the relationship between population density and employment/job availability is. I'm all ears.

but you know that a higher population causes unemployment and then poverty in the south west? Is there anything anyone can do but be convinced?
1. Well, first of all, high population density doesn't mean high population.
2. It isn't "high population causes unemployment." It is, "increased immigration to location A" causes increased unemployment in location A. . . that is what I'm arguing. Not that places with high pop density, or high pop necessarily have low employment rates, or whatever else you think I'm saying.
Do you not see how these are two different statements? In the latter statement, you are comparing employment rates in location A before and after a change.
So of what relevance is this "high population density" you keep referring to? If I take a place with a high population density and add more people, unemployment increases. Take a place with average pop density and add more people, same should generically be true.

With that density map, there must have been at lest 20 million that have left. grin
Of what relevance is that density map?
Re: I stand Corrected. . . by zstranger: 12:26am On May 08, 2011
ekt_bear:

Please tell us what the relationship between population density and employment/job availability is. I'm all ears.
2. It isn't "high population causes unemployment." It is, "increased immigration to location A" causes increased unemployment in location A, . that is what I'm arguing. Not that places with high pop density, or high pop necessarily have low employment rates, or whatever else you think I'm saying.
Do you not see how these are two different statements? In the latter statement, you are comparing employment rates in location A before and after a change.
So of what relevance is this "high population density" you keep referring to? If I take a place with a high population density and add more people, unemployment increases. Take a place with average pop density and add more people, same should generically be true.

Igbos on NL do not seem to understand that very important concept.
I dont know why.
Re: I stand Corrected. . . by EkoIle1: 12:36am On May 08, 2011
zstranger:

I agree I am a fool. Okay, mention names.

What is your point exactly? Brand names are for Yorubas while the numerous "un-branded" retail outlets are mostly owned by Igbos? Is that your point? That Yorubas dont start small, they just go big outta nowhere?

BTW, just so you know, Eleganza deals in electrical appliances too.

ibo people sabi make pesin laff I swear, in their shallow and little world, their roadside roadside bootlegged china fans and transistor radios mean s.hit. or significant. Like they say, little things bugs shallow minds.
Re: I stand Corrected. . . by ezeagu(m): 12:37am On May 08, 2011
ekt_bear:

That's if you will tell me how many people have left the south east for the south west, one of the questions you haven't answered, but you're still talking about south east emigration.

ekt_bear:

But a high density means you have more competition for a job.

ekt_bear:

2. It isn't "high population causes unemployment." It is, "increased immigration to location A" causes increased unemployment in location A. . . that is what I'm arguing. Not that places with high pop density, or high pop necessarily have low employment rates, or whatever else you think I'm saying.

So what did you mean by "easy to have low poverty rates if all your people leave"? And after that, tell me what percentage of the population of the south west you think are native south easterners. You can't say you don't know because you've already said you've convinced yourself that you know there's a high emigration from the south east to the south west.

ekt_bear:

Comparing the sizes of states and the population in the official census, and with the claim of high emigration, the high density shows that there are a lot of people who have emigrated out of the states while the states remain highly populated. The official census say there's 24 million in the south east, maybe 5, 7 million of the south west population is native south eastern?
Re: I stand Corrected. . . by ektbear: 12:48am On May 08, 2011
ezeagu:

That's if you will tell me how many people have left the south east for the south west, one of the questions you haven't answered, but you're still talking about south east emigration.
What does emigration have to do with population density  it isn't possible in your mind for a place with high outmigration to be simultaneously be densely populated

But a high density means you have more competition for a job.
So? There are places with high pop density that have low unemployment rates (manhattan), and others with low pop density that have high unemployment rates (I guess some densely populated parts of Africa).

Pop density ALONE doesn't say anything about employment. Or at least, that isn't what I'm arguing here.

I'm saying that migration from point A to point B increases unemployment in point B. That is all I am saying. All of this other stuff that you are talking about it is IRRELEVANT.

So what did you mean by "easy to have low poverty rates if all your people leave"? And after that, tell me what percentage of the population of the south west you think are native south easterners. You can't say you don't know because you've already said you've convinced yourself that you know there's a high emigration from the south east to the south west.

Comparing the sizes of states and the population in the official census, and with the claim of high emigration, the high density shows that there are a lot of people who have emigrated out of the states while the states remain highly populated. The official census say there's 24 million in the south east, maybe 5, 7 million of the south west population is native south eastern?
WTF? Irrelevant! I feel like i'm arguing with Kobojunkie here. None of those things are relevant! Population of states, size of states, density, whatever, all irrelevant.

Which place has seen the most outmigration in Nigeria? The SE zone; only a fool would deny otherwise. Which place has seen the most immigration? The SW zone; only a fool would deny otherwise.Those two factors have affected the employment rates of each zone relative to what employment would have been if no population had moved from zone to zone.

That is all I'm saying. All this other stuff you bring up is about as relevant as the price of tea in China.
Re: I stand Corrected. . . by Katsumoto: 12:55am On May 08, 2011
Ekt_Bear and Ezeagu

Here is my take on the relationship between unemployment and positive net migration

In the US, the states with above national population densities have higher than average unemployment figures. Rhode Island, California, Michigan and South Carolina have the highest population densities and also have unemployment figures higher than the National average of 9%.

Conversely, the states with the lowest population densities have below national average unemployment figures. Wyoming, Nebraska, Iowa, North and South Dakota all have the lowest population densities and also have less than 5% unemployment.

Economists have argued that positive net migration increases unemployment because workers migrating to an area will not always have the skills required to get into work immediately. For instance, wanna-be actors moving to California have to take acting classes and not all become successful actors.

I don't trust statistical data produced in Nigeria for a number of reasons.
Re: I stand Corrected. . . by ezeagu(m): 1:04am On May 08, 2011
ekt_bear:

What does emigration have to do with population density  it isn't possible in your mind for a place with high outmigration to be simultaneously be densely populated

Doesn't saying that there's high emigration mean that the population is lessening by a big number? Normally when somebody says high emigration, they're talking about most of the population abandoning or thinking of abandoning the area, and even if they're talking about high emigration from the view of the people receiving the migrants, then when someone says there's low poverty in that area because "all of the people leave", then you still wander how somewhere is so populated when everyone has left.

ekt_bear:

So? There are places with high pop density that have low unemployment rates (manhattan), and others with low pop density that have high unemployment rates (I guess some densely populated parts of Africa).

Well I think you've just provided the real answer to why there's a lower poverty rate in the south east, maybe it's the higher industrialisation.

ekt_bear:

Pop density ALONE doesn't say anything about employment. Or at least, that isn't what I'm arguing here.

I'm saying that migration from point A to point B increases unemployment in point B. That is all I am saying. All of this other stuff that you are talking about it is IRRELEVANT.

But "all the people have left and poverty drops"?

ekt_bear:

WTF? Irrelevant! I feel like i'm arguing with Kobojunkie here. None of those things are relevant! Population of states, size of states, density, whatever, all irrelevant.

Population of states is irrelevant in the argument that more people (population) coming into the south west increases poverty.

ekt_bear:

Which place has seen the most outmigration in Nigeria? The SE zone; only a fool would deny otherwise. Which place has seen the most immigration? The SW zone; only a fool would deny otherwise.Those two factors have affected the employment rates of each zone relative to what employment would have been if no population had moved from zone to zone.

That is all I'm saying. All this other stuff you bring up is about as relevant as the price of tea in China.

The south east zone has never been studied for emigration or immigration. How can you tell me to be backing things up but we are relying on what you think. How many northerners do we know are in other parts of the country which includes other parts of the north? Why can't you tell the amount of south easterners in the south west so we can know how much of these people are taking up jobs and so we can see the high emigration that is going towards the south west. This way we will know why the high population of the south east isn't causing as much poverty as the high population of the south west.
Re: I stand Corrected. . . by ektbear: 1:11am On May 08, 2011
Katsumoto:

Economists have argued that positive net migration increases unemployment because workers migrating to an area will not always have the skills required to get into work immediately. For instance, wanna-be actors moving to California have to take acting classes and not all become successful actors.
Exactly. And I think we know how the different zones in Nigeria look if ranked by net migration.

Katsumoto:

In the US, the states with above national population densities have higher than average unemployment figures. Rhode Island, California, Michigan and South Carolina have the highest population densities and also have unemployment figures higher than the National average of 9%.

Conversely, the states with the lowest population densities have below national average unemployment figures. Wyoming, Nebraska, Iowa, North and South Dakota all have the lowest population densities and also have less than 5% unemployment.
OK. So this can be true, but doesn't affect my point.

Btw, do you think 50 points is enough to conclude that? Would be more interesting to look at US countries (3143 of them). . . calculate pop density and unemployment for each, and for example do a simple linear regression to tease out the relationship, figure out how significant it is.
Re: I stand Corrected. . . by Abagworo(m): 1:19am On May 08, 2011
ekt_bear:

Which place has seen the most outmigration in Nigeria? The SE zone; only a fool would deny otherwise. Which place has seen the most immigration? The SW zone; [/b]only a fool would deny otherwise.Those two factors have affected the employment rates of each zone relative to what employment would have been if no population had moved from zone to zone.

That is [b]all
I'm saying. All this other stuff you bring up is about as relevant as the price of tea in China.

I am no fool but I can tell you that the North has the most immigration in Nigeria both nationally(domestic) and internationally(foreigners).There are more Igbos in the North than SW.There is also heavy migration of Yorubas to the North.Nigeriens,Chadians and Malians in the North run into millions.So my brother just take note that the desert seems more rosy than the forest.
Re: I stand Corrected. . . by ezeagu(m): 1:21am On May 08, 2011
That's what happens when you rely on what you think (even when telling others not to). undecided
Re: I stand Corrected. . . by ektbear: 1:24am On May 08, 2011
Abagworo:

I am no fool but I can tell you that the North has the most immigration in Nigeria both nationally(domestic) and internationally(foreigners).There are more Igbos in the North than SW.There is also heavy migration of Yorubas to the North.Nigeriens,Chadians and Malians in the North run into millions.So my brother just take note that the desert seems more rosy than the forest.
Hrm, I'm comparing zones though. Sure, NW, NC and NE combined may have seen more. But are you saying that any one of them individually has seen more than SW?

If so, which zone?

In any case, I typed a bit carelessly. . . net migration into SW doesn't need to be the largest in Nigeria for what I'm saying to be true about the effects on employment.

Really, I should have been more specific and said "net migration into SW is positive", "net migration into SE is negative", rather than overstating and saying that "net migration into SW is the largest of the 6 zones."
Re: I stand Corrected. . . by ezeagu(m): 1:26am On May 08, 2011
ekt_bear:

Hrm, I'm comparing zones though. Sure, NW, NC and NE combined may have seen more. But are you saying that any one of them individually has seen more than SW?

If so, which zone?

In any case, I typed a bit carelessly. . . net migration into SW doesn't need to be the largest in Nigeria for what I'm saying to be true about the effects on employment.

Really, I should have been more specific and said "net migration into SW is positive", "net migration into SE is negative", rather than overstating and saying that "net migration into SW is the largest of the 6 zones."

Or maybe you should just stop typing and provide us with some kind of official statistics?
Re: I stand Corrected. . . by ektbear: 1:32am On May 08, 2011
^-- Which official immigration statistics can there be about movement in Nigeria?  undecided

Look, here is what I'm assuming is true:
1. net migration into SE is negative and net migration into SW is positive

If you don't believe this, then the rest of the argument doesn't follow. But if you do, then it does.

I think most people believe (1) is true, though.
Re: I stand Corrected. . . by chino11(m): 1:23pm On May 08, 2011
This caveman, sorry eketiman. You will never sleep, all thru the nite you were punching your keyboard just to prove to us that you guys are not swallowing poverty. lmao. SW positive or negative. Does that explain why southwest is the poorest (per capita income) among the six geopolitical zones. Foolish and poverty riddle Yorubas
Re: I stand Corrected. . . by ektbear: 6:26am On May 12, 2011
Hmm. Looks like the shoe is on the other foot tongue
Re: I stand Corrected. . . by Olaisrich(m): 6:35am On May 12, 2011
http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20110512394373

SW will retain the position of Speaker of the House of Representative according to PDP national cauaus!
END OF DISCUSSION!
Re: I stand Corrected. . . by aljharem3: 11:04am On May 12, 2011
reading this thread from the beginning is so funny

it is a clear case of "he who laughs last, laughs best" grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: I stand Corrected. . . by otokx(m): 11:12am On May 12, 2011
my o mine, look what we got here; how the tables have turned.
Re: I stand Corrected. . . by aljharem3: 11:23am On May 12, 2011
ezeuche is one of the very funniest character i have ever come across both on the interent and real life grin
Re: I stand Corrected. . . by Olaisrich(m): 2:02pm On May 12, 2011
I want to beleive that what Ezeuche is typing is just for the purpose of entertainment, it does
not represent the reality on the ground, SW is a notable political gaint in the land of GREEN WHITE GREENi

PDP had once being a popular party dominant in SW, but what do we get? corruption,selfishness and lack of
development ideas that can be of benefit to the populace is all that we get. ACN may not be a party in power,
but a little can be enough if you have a visionary leaders who can think and manage the available resources,BTW,
during last political dispensation,PDP rules most of the state in SE,let be candid, does that represent the kind of
leadership that is yarned for by any democratic jungle? regional mesmerization with the party in power does not
connote development,only makes a meaning when you can hearness that to the aleviate hardship that is facing commom
man. And if SEners sees that as an achievement, let them use that as platform that will bring their son of the soil to Aso Rock
in the next four yrs and see how it goes from there!

note the sentence in the bold! i talk am!
Re: I stand Corrected. . . by seanet02: 4:26pm On May 12, 2011
Oya south east suck my balls
Re: I stand Corrected. . . by sbeezy8: 4:29pm On May 12, 2011
^^^ sicko lol haha
Re: I stand Corrected. . . by bkbabe97y(m): 4:30pm On May 12, 2011
Goes to show how "smart" these cannibals East of the Niger really are!
Re: I stand Corrected. . . by Desola(f): 7:03pm On May 12, 2011
HAHAHAHAHA, grin grin grin

Ezeuche is eating his own shit now o, grin grin grin
Re: I stand Corrected. . . by Ngodigha: 9:02pm On May 12, 2011
bk.babe97y:

Goes to show how "smart" these cannibals East of the Niger really are!
How come the moderators do not read the thrash this pig writes all the time. Can't you write for once without displaying stupidity?. Death to you, entire family and gererations unborn. Ediott.
Re: I stand Corrected. . . by Ngodigha: 9:04pm On May 12, 2011
Desola:

HAHAHAHAHA, grin grin grin

Ezeuche is eating his own poo now o, grin grin grin
Woman, you should not involve your self in this silly silly things. You are a disgrace to Nigerian women.
Re: I stand Corrected. . . by ektbear: 9:37pm On May 12, 2011
hmm
Re: I stand Corrected. . . by Desola(f): 10:41pm On May 12, 2011
Woman, you should not involve your self in this silly silly things. You are a disgrace to Nigerian women.

Skunk! Who told you I'm Nigerian? I am a proud Oodua chick who couldn't be more proud of my race than I am now. Don't hate the achievers, it's after all not my fault that you lot have been relegated from number 4 to number 3. You are no longer relevant in Nigeria and it is all your doing. Suck the sour lemon and put up or SHUT UP!!

Afofungbemu akindanini omo irankiran. angry
Re: I stand Corrected. . . by Ngodigha: 10:47pm On May 12, 2011
Desola:

Skunk! Who told you I'm Nigerian? I am a proud Oodua chick who couldn't be more proud of my race than I am now. Don't hate the achievers, it's after all not my fault that you lot have been relegated from number 4 to number 3. You are no longer relevant in Nigeria and it is all your doing. Suck the sour lemon and put up or SHUT UP!!

Barren woman, the Igbo are not responsible for your barreness. Why do you visit your frustration on a group that cares less about you?, Shameless daughter of a prostituting mother.
Re: I stand Corrected. . . by Desola(f): 11:09pm On May 12, 2011
Barren woman, the Igbo are not responsible for your barreness. Why do you visit your frustration on a group that cares less about you?,  Shameless daughter of a prostituting mother.

By their fruits, you shall know them.

I understand your anger, I feel for you. You are obviously the child of one of the women violated by the soldiers during the Biafran war. Yes, your mother was ravenously despoiled and after all that agony, she bore you. The world cried on the day you graced it, it was a sad day for your race when they heard the cry of a B4ST4RD from your family home. You are a B4ST4RD and Nigeria clearly does not recognise your specie and that is why you would forever be trampled upon.

Omo abi ipabe. Omo ti won fi n s'epe f'omo.
Re: I stand Corrected. . . by 2mch(m): 11:12pm On May 12, 2011
Ngodigha:

Barren woman, the Igbo are not responsible for your barreness. Why do you visit your frustration on a group that cares less about you?, Shameless daughter of a prostituting mother.
Desola:

Ngodigha:

How come the moderators do not read the thrash this pig writes all the time. Can't you write for once without displaying stupidity?. Death to you, entire family and gererations unborn. Ediott.
grin grin grin grin grin cheesy

It seems like EzeUche is Ngodigha. He is too ashamed to fight this under his NL name. grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy tongue

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Read What Adamu Chiroma Wrote On Amaechi's Ministerial Screening / Legalising Marijuana And Nigerian Economy / Breaking….final Result From Garki Ward Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.