Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,656 members, 7,809,482 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:23 AM

"Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" - Culture (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" (22924 Views)

I'll Like To Change My Tribe To Yoruba- Veteran Actor, Larry Koldsweat / Igbo Is The Most Popular Ethnic Group Outside Nigeria / Translate To Yoruba. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Ngodigha: 11:21pm On May 15, 2011
airmark:

@ fadhil, you gave that ngodhiga intellectual knock-out. I just want to ask, when are we going to have an IBO President in this country?
Shitt-face, you should stop running your stinking mouth here as you have nothing to write. You should just concentrate on the almajiris ravaging your fatherland, Shitt-licker.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by airmark(m): 1:22pm On May 16, 2011
^^^ lol, calm down ngodigha. I have nothing to write as fadhill had ignonimously exposed your low intellectual level on this thread. I have many smart ibo friends (born, living or educated in SW or abroad only), and we interract. I don't waste my precious time on a "ibo-made" nincompoop like you. *shaking my head in pity for the blow your unfortunate ibo society, had dealt on your argumentative intelligence !!! *
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by airmark(m): 1:24pm On May 16, 2011
lol, calm down ngodigha. I have nothing to write as fadhill had ignonimously exposed your low intellectual level on this thread. I have many smart ibo friends (born, living or educated in SW or abroad only), and we interract. I don't waste my precious time on a "ibo-made" nincompoop like you. *shaking my head in pity for the blow your unfortunate ibo society, had dealt on your argumentative intelligence !!! *
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Ngodigha: 3:25pm On May 16, 2011
airmark:

lol, calm down ngodigha. I have nothing to write as fadhill had ignonimously exposed your low intellectual level on this thread. I have many smart ibo friends (born, living or educated in SW or abroad only), and we interract. I don't waste my precious time on a "ibo-made" nincompoop like you. *shaking my head in pity for the blow your unfortunate ibo society, had dealt on your argumentative intelligence !!! *
Monkey, why do you have to hide under the cover of another tribalist like you to insult Ndigbo?. Be brave to come out for tribal bashing. Son of a dirty LovePeddler.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by mystolad(m): 6:50pm On May 16, 2011
Ngodigha, think u r one of d worst things to ever happen to Nigeria, i'm very ur sentimental attitude is the main reason all ur comments are wildly accepted by sentimental personalities. Igbo/Ibo u r shouting 'cos of d pronounciation, hw many of ur so called Ibos can pronounce Yoruba without calling it Yoruba,yet, nobody complained.
How will wish Nairaland can screen every post before published.

embarassed angry sad cool
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by airmark(m): 9:00pm On May 16, 2011
@ Ngodigha, though my comment's reeks might have assailed your stinking nose, that does not bring our mothers to the fore. Your last comment butressed the fact that you grew up in an awkward envt where parental regards have gone to the dogs. I will not abuse your parents because i was brought up under ideal parental guidance and society. I don't need to curse you, because you've already inflicted yourself with it by the reckless motherly tantrum.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Ngodigha: 9:51pm On May 16, 2011
airmark:

@ Ngodigha, though my comment's reeks might have assailed your stinking nose, that does not bring our mothers to the fore. Your last comment butressed the fact that you grew up in an awkward envt where parental regards have gone to the dogs. I will not abuse your parents because i was brought up under ideal parental guidance and society. I don't need to curse you, because you've already inflicted yourself with it by the reckless motherly tantrum.
mystolad:

Ngodigha, think u r one of d worst things to ever happen to Nigeria, i'm very your sentimental attitude is the main reason all your comments are wildly accepted by sentimental personalities. Igbo/Ibo u r shouting 'cos of d pronounciation, hw many of your so called Ibos can pronounce Yoruba without calling it Yoruba,yet, nobody complained.
How will wish Nairaland can screen every post before published.

embarassed angry sad cool
Monkeys, I now understand your problems, which one of them is that your keyboards does not have the alphabet G. As a result, you find it difficult to type IGBO. Both of you should go and screw yourselves as am a proud Igbo. Monkey shitt-lickers.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by airmark(m): 11:45pm On May 16, 2011
Lol @ Ngodigha, i asked you to calm down initially but i could see your blood pressure is rising as evident in your vituperations. Whether you like it or not you will still be called that "IBO BOY". Lest i forget, are you from Enugu? I will not join you in abusive words as you may turn to be my 'in-law'. My baby (though grew up abroad) is from there. No matter how intellectual handicapped, reckless in communication, an in-law is, my culture detests abusing him or her. So are you from Abakpa, transekulu, ogui, new haven, emene, okpara av., ? Attach more importance on your integrity and personalty, not the spelling or pronunciation of your tribe. Biko, iwatago.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Istillfuckyou: 5:23pm On Aug 05, 2014
airmark: lol, calm down ngodigha. I have nothing to write as fadhill had ignonimously exposed your low intellectual level on this thread. I have many smart ibo friends (born, living or educated in SW or abroad only), and we interract. I don't waste my precious time on a "ibo-made" nincompoop like you. *shaking my head in pity for the blow your unfortunate ibo society, had dealt on your argumentative intelligence !!! *
see the fool rantin! and u said u fork an ibo beetch. shame on u!
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Istillfuckyou: 5:24pm On Aug 05, 2014
airmark: @ fadhil, you gave that ngodhiga intellectual knock-out. I just want to ask, when are we going to have an IBO President in this country?
krone is a blind fool! airmark, i c/o u!!
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Istillfuckyou: 5:28pm On Aug 05, 2014
airmark: This thread reminds me of my NYSC experience with Ibo dudes in South east.
nysc, even before 2011 shocked shocked shocked old man!
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by alabsmichael(m): 10:24pm On Aug 27, 2018
Justcash:
I have heard alot of people calling "Igbos", "Ibos" or "Ebohs" with an excuse that it was used that way by the colonial masters and that it is easier to pronounce that way. This is widely used in the political section of Nairaland to taunt and insult Igbos. Is it so difficult to add the "G" in front of the "B"?

The most appalling is that Yoruba Nigerians can comfortably pronounce "Igbo" without stress. In Yoruba language, there are words with the "GB" stress. For example, "Gbori e" or "Agbero". Won't it be weird to hear a Yoruba man pronouncing those words, "Bori e" and "Abero"?

Now the question is, why do they keep using "Ibo"? Is it to show disrespect, or for convenience? Unlike Y-O-R-U-B-A that is six letters and H_A_U_S_A that is five letters, I-G-B-O is four letters, so who should feel more inconvenience in using names here?

Well, if it is about English pronunciation, I will say "Ibo" is totally understandable. However, "Yoruba" or "Yorba" should also be understandable.
According to "The Free dictionary online", Yoruba[b](yō`roobä)[/b], people of SW Nigeria and Benin, numbering about 20 million. Today many of the large cities in Nigeria (including Lagos, Ibadan, and Abeokuta) are in Yorubaland.
In Igboland, we call "Hausa" "Awusa". But still we make efforts to pronounce and spell it correctly, as a sign of respect, which is never reciprocated by the Hausas.

Most people use "Ibo" when they can comfortably pronounce "Igbo". In the real sense of it, it annoys Igbo people to see people call them that way. Most especially, "Yoruba" folks who can comfortably pronounce "Igbo". Hausa peeps may be exempted because their intonation may make it difficult, but still they can put it correctly in writing.

I have made up my mind to respond every post that is with "Ibo" in it with "Yorooba" or "Awusa" as the case may be. I will do this from now on. My reason is that it is used to score scornful political points on Nairaland against Igbos, than for convenience. It also shows that the people that use it needs to learn how to write it properly. As they say, sometimes a person needs to descend very low to correct common mistakes from people that lack knowledge. It will also be a good response for insolent Nairalanders from other ethnic groups.
I hope other Igbos will join me in doing this, until people learn how to pronounce and write "Igbo" properly.
Chinua Achebe wrote it as IBO in Things Fall Apart in 1958.

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Sanwo-olu Presents Staff Of Office To Alara Of Ilara, Olufolarin Olukayode / Alafin's Supernatural Power Over Other Oba's In Yorubaland / Alfred Akawe-Torkula, Tor Of Tiv Is Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.