Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,480 members, 7,819,750 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:14 PM

"Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" - Culture (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" (22985 Views)

I'll Like To Change My Tribe To Yoruba- Veteran Actor, Larry Koldsweat / Igbo Is The Most Popular Ethnic Group Outside Nigeria / Translate To Yoruba. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Nobody: 8:50pm On May 10, 2011
we are all blacks anyways
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by gossipmama(f): 9:00pm On May 10, 2011
I use to pronounce igbo, ibo until some nuch of igbo educated mumu told me it igbo

[ the last time i check, i was told you had selective amnesia that was why you forgot wat u were taught, well i need to refresh your memory it is pronounced IGBO.]
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by gossipmama(f): 9:04pm On May 10, 2011
WE ARE IGBO and WE SPEAK IGBO, all these YOLOBA (oratimi, orushegun aderabu etc, )ndi ala should get that into their skull(s).
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Nobody: 9:11pm On May 10, 2011
gossipmama:

WE ARE IGBO and WE SPEAK IGBO, all these YOLOBA (oratimi, orushegun aderabu etc, )ndi ala should get that into their skull(s).
to be sincere, even tho they say common sense is not common, one will begin to wonder, if its true? but with ppl like you, wat can i say that yes, common sense is not common, damn y u gotta have sense be4 u get common sense?
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by gossipmama(f): 9:27pm On May 10, 2011
Donlittle:

to be sincere, even tho they say common sense is not common, one will begin to wonder, if its true? but with ppl like you, wat can i say that yes, common sense is not common, damn y u gotta have sense be4 u get common sense?

now i know the true meaning of your name, DONLITTLE, its shows who u are,
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Nobody: 9:37pm On May 10, 2011
Donlittle:

we are all blacks anyways

we have jews (ibo) among us though the israelis still count them as negroes. . .
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Ngodigha: 10:23pm On May 10, 2011
From my observation, educated and intelligent Yorubas here do not spell Ibo, for example Katsumoto, Tpia, Sagamite, Seun and Debosky. Only the Yoruba drop-outs do that.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by tubolancer(m): 10:42pm On May 10, 2011
my tongue is gum with ibo,what can i do?
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Nobody: 10:43pm On May 10, 2011
~Bluetooth:

we have jews (ibo) among us though the israelis still count them as negroes. . .
wait? wetin they find reach benin na, jk i mean africa.
y they got to call them negroes?
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Ngodigha: 10:48pm On May 10, 2011
tubolancer:

my tongue is gum with ibo,what can i do?
What can you do?, good question.
Kiss a transformer with that tongue of yours.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by bgees(m): 10:58pm On May 10, 2011
Awon omo Igbo!! grin
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Ngodigha: 11:03pm On May 10, 2011
bgees:

Awon omo Igbo!! grin
Another secondary school drop-out joins the fray.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by bgees(m): 11:29pm On May 10, 2011
^You guys don't see that tribalism can be fun. lol!!
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Nobody: 12:02am On May 11, 2011
Ngodigha:

Another secondary school drop-out joins the fray.

This is a further reason why many of them can't spell 'Igbo'.

Lagos teachers can't write correctly

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-368067.0.html

If their teachers cant write and speak correctly, how do you expect the students to know how to spell? grin
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by duno1: 12:12am On May 11, 2011
A Delta Ibo would curse you if u called him/her Igbo? So why is OP Ranting? Go sleep for river niger jor
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by lepasharon(f): 12:44am On May 11, 2011
shebi ibos ppl dey vex wen u call dem ibos afta u b calling us Yoruba anyhow nko,
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by sbeezy8: 2:19am On May 11, 2011
lol you can even say yaruboooo if you wont who cares
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by THEAMAKA(f): 3:36am On May 11, 2011
lol, who cares how you say it? everyone from everywhere has an accent. i don't expect someone from china, russia, or even mexico to say Igbo correctly. as someone pointed out Nairaland is NOT vocal, so why are you using pronunciation to justify your spelling of Igbo?
after all, for said we pronounce it SED, does that mean we will spell it that way?
read = REED
island = I LAND
etc. . .
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Nobody: 4:46am On May 11, 2011
I can perfectly pronounce Igbo since I speak Yoruba, and there is a 'gb' letter in the Yoroooba language. If all Ibos unitedly demand that we call them Igbo, then we shall, but all the ones that I have encountered in real life have never bothered about such trivialities. Now if someone is intentionally making fun of your tribe, that is a different case altogether, and the onus is on you to deal with them as you see fit. But honestly, I doubt that I will adopt the pronunciation or writing(unless of course, you put a gun to my head) because it sounds funny when I pronounce it, maybe because in the Yorooba language, there is igbó(weed), and ìgbò(head-butt). And frankly, saying Igbo just cracks me up.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Nobody: 6:38am On May 11, 2011
mbatuku2:

This is a further reason why many of them can't spell 'Igbo'.

Lagos teachers can't write correctly

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-368067.0.html

If their teachers cant write and speak correctly, how do you expect the students to know how to spell? grin

IBO IBO IBO IBO IBO IBO IBO IBO IBO IBO IBO IBO IBO IBO IBO IBO IBO IBO IBO IBO IBO IBO IBO IBO IBO IBO IBO IBO IBO IBO IBO IBO IBO IBO IBO IBO IBO IBO IBO IBO
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by favouredjb(f): 6:52am On May 11, 2011
like we yorubas care mtschewwww! ibo kwenu!
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by slimyem: 7:01am On May 11, 2011
honestly,i dont know what the big deal is on this topic.i pronounce it as ibo because it is more convenient and not to taunt anyone.call yoruba anyhow, who cares
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Nobody: 7:07am On May 11, 2011
slimyem:

honestly,i dont know what the big deal is on this topic.i pronounce it as ibo because it is more convenient and not to taunt anyone.call yoruba anyhow, who cares
WORD
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by favouredjb(f): 8:08am On May 11, 2011
^^gbam
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by lagcity(m): 8:23am On May 11, 2011
christ! just add the "G" and let's move on. ppl like wahala sha.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by MrCork17: 9:00am On May 11, 2011
IBO womens look like wrestlers. (no oofeinse) angry
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by pek(m): 9:41am On May 11, 2011
All said and done, i find the post interesting and i would thank the poster for bringing this up. Irrespective of what people have said so far or will say, I am a[b] Full Blooded Igboman[/b] and I am proud of it. But unfortunately and as usual, the thread have been derailed and tribal war has become the norm here. The word Ibo is not a variation of Igbo, it is not for the people as some erroneously claimed. Both the language and the people are Igbo! Ibo is one of the negative relics of the white man (colonial masters) who could not pronounce words with `gb` hence Ibo instead of Igbo.
This bastardization of words is not limited to Igbo alone. The most annoying of them all is Awka -capital city of Anambra state. When you pronounce that word either in Igbo or English, it cant be Oka (with a dot on top of the O). But the white man, who found it difficult to pronounce the word correctly(which is not surprising), pronounced it the way that situated him and subsequently, wrote it that way.
Back to Ibo and Igbo, non Igbos who do that largely fall into the uninformed and ignorant group(pls no insult intended). The other very few fall into the group either that do it out of spite or simply because they hear others call it Ibo.
Igbos who call themselves Ibos should hide their faces in shame because they  do not know their identity. They are what we call Lagos Igbo ie those born and bred in Lagos and dont go home. I read somewhere in this thread where someone insinuated that Ruggedman et al  call themselves Ibos. I therefore ask, is Ruggedman a true Igbo? Someone who can not speak the language, someone who have not been to his hometown for over 26 years?
I want to assume that anyone who visits nairaland seeks for enlightenment. It will be foolhardy for one, after reading this piece, to refer to the Igbos as Ibos!
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Nobody: 10:02am On May 11, 2011
^
Thank you my Ibo brother. Preach it, let them hear it. Ibo Kwenu.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by nnemak(m): 10:10am On May 11, 2011
ofe nmanumanu grin grin grin grin
Omo IBO IBO IBO IBO lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Danmurphy(m): 11:08am On May 11, 2011
Why are we stressing ourself on unnecessary things like this. I see nothing wrong by saying ibo instead of igbo. Some dont really know the differece but now they 'll comply to real pronounciation. Igbo not Ibo okay.

Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by hafees: 11:42am On May 11, 2011

This is really getting funny, especially because i see that the Yoruba people are getting lots of bashing, for what reason i don't know. Its IGBO, so please can we drop this. You are not going to force anyone to say IGBO because na dem get their mouth, though i seriously think calling it IGBO shows that you are knowledgeable.

There are more important things to get agitated about: Killing of corpers, looting by politicians etc we just de fight oneanother
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Nobody: 12:03pm On May 11, 2011
[size=18pt]Ibo Kwenu! grin[/size]

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Alfred Akawe-Torkula, Tor Of Tiv Is Dead / Alafin's Supernatural Power Over Other Oba's In Yorubaland / Ooni Ogunwusi With John Mahama In Ghana, Gets Lovely Art Gift On His Ghana Trip

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.