Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,766 members, 7,827,841 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:44 PM

"Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" - Culture (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" (23023 Views)

I'll Like To Change My Tribe To Yoruba- Veteran Actor, Larry Koldsweat / Igbo Is The Most Popular Ethnic Group Outside Nigeria / Translate To Yoruba. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Ngodigha: 12:17pm On May 11, 2011
d-uno:

A Delta Ibo would curse you if u called him/her Igbo? So why is OP Ranting? Go sleep for river niger jor
What an idiotic post, am Delta Igbo and I have not seen any of my kins call it Ibo. Some Igbos who have lived with the Yorubas have learnt this imbecilic idea from there.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by okunoba(m): 12:24pm On May 11, 2011
As a Yorooba, Yoruba guy living in Lagos, I never heard Igbo people refered to as anything else but Ibo. Now we are being told that is not the correct way. We just can`t believe its wrong or disrespectful to call Igbo people Ibo, just because some guy on a Nigerian forum tells us so. We need to hear this from leading Igbo figures, who are true representative of the people. Why have they never made a big fuss about being called Ibo or Igbo? Yorubas are not to blame.

African Tribes - Ibo - Igbo Culture
TRIBES & PEOPLE GROUPS. IBO (IGBO) Location: Nigeria, Africa, is composed of basically three different ethnic groups: the Yorubas, the Hausas, and the Ibos. ,
www.africaguide.com/culture/tribes/ibo.htm - Cached - Similar
Igbo Tribe of Africa: African People and Tribes
History: It is believed that the Igbo tribe originated in an area about 100 miles north of their current location at the confluence of the Niger and Benue ,
www.gateway-africa.com/tribe/igbo_tribe.html - Cached - Similar
Images for ibo tribe - Report images

Ibo Religion - members.tripod.com
Their religious beliefs also led the Igbo to kill those that might be considered shameful to the tribe. Single births were regarded as typically human, ,
members.tripod.com/ih8_tuxedos/index4.html - Cached - Similar
The Tribe called, Ibo - UniversalJournal/AYJW - Articles, Papers ,
THE IBO TRIBE Ibo is a tribe in the country called, Nigeria, in West Africa. , The Ibo tribe, are found in the South-Eastern part of this country, ,
ayjw.org/articles.php?id=822974 - Cached
Ryan's Blog: The Ibo Tribe
12 Nov 2007 , The Ibo people are an from an African tribe in Nigeria. They are also commonly known as the Igbo tribe. In Things Fall Apart, ,
ryan-pearlman..com/2007/11/ibo-tribe.html - Cached - Similar
Igbo - Introduction, Location, Language, Folklore, Religion, Major ,
This site is very intresting,I am dating a guy from igbo and i would like to know more about thier tribe, i love him very much and i want to knpw how they ,
www.everyculture.com › , › Mauritania to Nigeria - Cached - Similar
Culture of War in the Ibo tribe? - Yahoo! Answers
1 answer - 6 Mar
I need information on the culture of Ibo war. , Below are referenced a few general sites. I didn't search the war specifically but some of ,
answers.yahoo.com › , › Other - Cultures & Groups - Cached
Igbo Tribal Mask art history and culture
African art history - Igbo people from Nigeria, cultural, ceremonial and traditional significance of art.
www.rebirth.co.za/Igbo_tribal_art_history_and_culture.htm - Cached - Similar
Ibo tribe | Facebook
Ibo tribe - Description: Igbo people, also referred to as the Ibo(e), Ebo(e), Eboans or Heebo ( ) are an ethnic group living chiefly in southeastern Nigeria ,
www.facebook.com/pages/Ibo-tribe/111805625511805 - Cached
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by pek(m): 2:20pm On May 11, 2011
d-uno:

A Delta Ibo would curse you if u called him/her Igbo? So why is OP Ranting? Go sleep for river niger jor
the dumbest and most unguarded post ever. No apologises. I have two questions for u. What is the difference between the igbo spoken in Asaba and that in Onitsha? What is Delta Igbo? If ur friend from Delta Igbo (whatever that means) claims he is not Igbo, u need to ask him what tribe he is.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by okunoba(m): 2:59pm On May 11, 2011
As a Yorooba, Yoruba guy living in Lagos, I never heard Igbo people refered to as anything else but Ibo. Now we are being told that is not the correct way. We just can`t believe its wrong or disrespectful to call Igbo people Ibo, just because some guy on a Nigerian forum tells us so. We need to hear this from leading Igbo figures, who are true representative of the people. Why have they never made a big fuss about being called Ibo or Igbo? Yorubas are not to blame.

History: It is believed that the Igbo tribe originated in an area about 100 miles north of their current location at the confluence of the Niger and Benue ,

Their religious beliefs also led the Igbo to kill those that might be considered shameful to the tribe. Single births were regarded as typically human, ,

THE IBO TRIBE Ibo is a tribe in the country called, Nigeria, in West Africa. , The Ibo tribe, are found in the South-Eastern part of this country, ,

12 Nov 2007 , The Ibo people are an from an African tribe in Nigeria. They are also commonly known as the Igbo tribe. In Things Fall Apart, ,

This site is very intresting,I am dating a guy from igbo and i would like to know more about thier tribe, i love him very much and i want to knpw how they ,

1 answer - 6 Mar
I need information on the culture of Ibo war. , Below are referenced a few general sites. I didn't search the war specifically but some of ,
African art history - Igbo people from Nigeria, cultural, ceremonial and traditional significance of art.

Ibo tribe | Facebook

Ibo tribe - Description: Igbo people, also referred to as the Ibo(e), Ebo(e), Eboans or Heebo ( ) are an ethnic group living chiefly in southeastern Nigeria ,
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Diligence: 5:03pm On May 11, 2011
The basic challenge the yoruba race have is: they come worst in linguistics! Hope they learn from here!
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by ak47mann(m): 5:21pm On May 11, 2011
d-uno:

curse you for what mr man talk for yourself who cares any way if delta igbo like make dey choose what they want, igbo don't care cheesy cheesy that one na their complex not ndi-igbo THEY CAN JOIN ABOKI TRIBE IF THEY WANT IGBOS WILL HELP THEM SO THAT WE CAN HAVE LESS TRAITORS IN OUR SOCIETY TRUST ME cool cool cool cool cool CUT THEM OFF FINAL. EVEN BROTHERS FROM SAME MUM END UP CHANGING THEIR SURNAMES. NOT NEW TO IGBO S TO CUT YOU AND YOUR GENERATIONS OFF LIKE (OSU)GO AND ASK THEM HOW THEY FEEL FROM GENERATION TO NEXT. THEY CANNOT PARTICIPATE IN ANYTHING NOT EVEN A COMMON CHIEF THEY WILL NOT SMELL IT sad sad sad
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by hasonjack: 5:43pm On May 11, 2011
SEE HOW YOU ARE ALL WASTING TIME TALKING ABOUT USELESS ISSUES THAT DOESNT ADD ANYTHING TO THE SOCEITY. SO WHAT IF IT IS SPELT IGBO OR IBO? IS IT YOUR FATHERS LANGUAGE THIS ENGLISH? PLEASE DISCUSS ISSUES SUCH AS JOB CREATION, MANUFACTURING, TEACHING AND OTHER DISCOURSE THAT WILL IMPROVE OUR COLLECTIVE INTELLIGENCE AS A NATION. ALL THIS IS NOISE. IT HAS NO PLACE IN THE SOCEITY.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by lepasharon(f): 8:10pm On May 11, 2011
i calls it anyhow i is likes
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Lanreseg(m): 8:51pm On May 11, 2011
Smhw bored
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Ngodigha: 9:11pm On May 11, 2011
hasonjack:

SEE HOW YOU ARE ALL WASTING TIME TALKING ABOUT USELESS ISSUES THAT DOESNT ADD ANYTHING TO THE SOCEITY. SO WHAT IF IT IS SPELT IGBO OR IBO? IS IT YOUR FATHERS LANGUAGE THIS ENGLISH? PLEASE DISCUSS ISSUES SUCH AS JOB CREATION, MANUFACTURING, TEACHING AND OTHER DISCOURSE THAT WILL IMPROVE OUR COLLECTIVE INTELLIGENCE AS A NATION. ALL THIS IS NOISE. IT HAS NO PLACE IN THE SOCEITY.

The above post is an irrelevant crap. Nairaland forum has so many sections that deals with job, manufacturing, teaching etc. Why not go there and post than coming here to chat something not related to the topic.
The same way you will feel when your education institution awards you a certificate with a wrong spelling of your name is the same way Ndigbo feels about the topic.
Just deal with the topic or jump.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by hasonjack: 9:33pm On May 11, 2011
Ngodigha:

The above post is an irrelevant crap. Nairaland forum has so many sections that deals with job, manufacturing, teaching etc. Why not go there and post than coming here to chat something not related to the topic.
The same way you will feel when your education institution awards you a certificate with a wrong spelling of your name is the same way Ndigbo feels about the topic.
Just deal with the topic or jump.

What has the spelling of your name in your certificate got to do with igbo or ibo misspelling. My point you guyz dont have to waste time complaining. Problem is from pronounciation, like me I pronounce Ibo right or wrong I dont know. is it IG'BOW?
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Ngodigha: 9:48pm On May 11, 2011
hasonjack:

What has the spelling of your name in your certificate got to do with igbo or ibo misspelling. My point you guyz dont have to waste time complaining. Problem is from pronounciation, like me I pronounce Ibo right or wrong I dont know. is it IG'BOW?
Stop displaying further stupidity here. You have jumped from demanding for issues relating to job creations, education etc to now how you pronounce it. What a shame. May be the next jump for you is to land inside a gutter.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by maasoap(m): 12:38am On May 12, 2011
The last time I checked wikipedia, I discovered that Igbos had "gone" with "Biafara" war. What we have in Nigeria now are known as Ibos. Stop attacking Yoruba on this site coz we out numbered you. You remember another hate thread like this about Yoruba artists being proud from our Ibo brothers.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by fadhill: 10:24am On May 12, 2011
Why do people waste time trying to dig out sense from outright nonesence. The reason BIAFRA fails is the reason these Igbos/Ibos attached to issue that leave no whatershed in their self esteem and general well-beign as a people. Pay attension to what raise your head above water in Nigeria murky political arena which define what destination you find youself in future. Kindly safe us from this proposional logic of your tautologies. Call me Yooroba, Yoruba or Yooruuba who cares as these "language elephantiasis" do not change my history as proud YORUBA. Grammarian(s), may be you don't know there is something called structural theories of grammar.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Ngodigha: 11:04am On May 12, 2011
fadhill:

Why do people waste time trying to dig out sense from outright nonesence. The reason BIAFRA fails is the reason these Igbos/Ibos attached to issue that leave no whatershed in their self esteem and general well-beign as a people. Pay attension to what raise your head above water in Nigeria murky political arena which define what destination you find youself in future. Kindly safe us from this proposional logic of your tautologies. Call me Yooroba, Yoruba or Yooruuba who cares as these "language elephantiasis" do not change my history as proud YORUBA. Grammarian(s), may be you don't know there is something called structural theories of grammar.
maasoap:

The last time I checked wikipedia, I discovered that Igbos had "gone" with "Biafara" war. What we have in Nigeria now are known as Ibos. Stop attacking Yoruba on this site coz we out numbered you. You remember another hate thread like this about Yoruba artists being proud from our Ibo brothers.
The two dumbest posts so far. What has Biafran war got to do with how you spell Igbo?. Mind you, there is no figure that suggest that Yorubas out Igbo here despite the fact it is a Yoruba website.
Any one who does not accept Igbo should go and jump into ofe mmanu di oku meaning hot oil soup.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Ngodigha: 11:12am On May 12, 2011
okunoba:

1 answer - 6 Mar

Ibo tribe | Facebook

What a load of rubbish above. What sort of silly logic you are displaying here. As you reside in England, does the English people call Espana or Spain. If you go to Spain it is Espana they call themselves just as Igbo people call themselves Igbo people. Since you did not have the opportunity to visit Igboland while you were in Nigeria, then those who are from Igboland are here correcting that idiotic notion that is not accepted. It is Igbo, deal with it.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by fadhill: 11:22am On May 12, 2011
Ngodigha, I was wrong about you and sorry about that. I thought I was responding to one that has flair to decipher schism in intellectual discurse. I never know you don't even know your history. What a shame! Try journey through classical Igbos/Ibos/Igbos, I bet you will understand. I wait when you will submit, "I consent!".
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by hasonjack: 11:25am On May 12, 2011
fadhill:

Ngodigha, I was wrong about you and sorry about that. I thought I was responding to one that has flair to decipher schism in intellectual discurse. I never know you don't even know your history. What a shame! Try journey through classical Igbos/Ibos/Igbos, I bet you will understand. I wait when you will submit, "I consent!".

Good point
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Ngodigha: 11:42am On May 12, 2011
fadhill:

I know you are not stoopid or are you just making an effort to be one?.
All the Igbo peole in this thread have made it clearly known that it is Igbo. You are not Igbo and did not grow up in the east, hence do not chat crap about what you do not know. Iam an Igbo with roots from both sides of the Great River, grew up in Igboland and had my education in Igboland. While you are not and will never be one.
Once again, jump into a hot oil soup popularly called Ofe mmanu if you can not accept Igbo.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by fadhill: 12:03pm On May 12, 2011
Ngodigha. Yes! I now understand your knowledge about your people. Your sojourn in Igbo/Ibo/Igbo/Eboan land doesn't make you an authority in classical Igbo. What I made clear to you and he who initiates this thread is that you are missing once in a lifetime oppotunity to add some information to your body of knowledge. Yorooba is never what is Ibo to Igbo/Ibo/Igbo/Eboan/Ebo never compare that as their is huge sensitivity in this that you can't fathom. Forget about Igbo/Ibo/Igbo/Eboan/Ebo/Heebo people in this thread, this is knowledge world. We aren't telling you what it should be, but what it is.There is need for you to re-invent yourself at this point of crossroads. Try learn.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by airmark(m): 12:18pm On May 12, 2011
This thread reminds me of my NYSC experience with Ibo dudes in South east.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Ngodigha: 12:37pm On May 12, 2011
fadhill:

Ngodigha. Yes! I now understand your knowledge about your people. Your sojourn in Igbo/Ibo/Igbo/Eboan land doesn't make you an authority in classical Igbo. What I made clear to you and he who initiates this thread is that you are missing once in a lifetime oppotunity to add some information to your body of knowledge. Yorooba is never what is Ibo to Igbo/Ibo/Igbo/Eboan/Ebo never compare that as their is huge sensitivity in this that you can't fathom. Forget about Igbo/Ibo/Igbo/Eboan/Ebo/Heebo people in this thread, this is knowledge world. We aren't telling you what it should be, but what it is.There is need for you to re-invent yourself at this point of crossroads. Try learn.
For the fact you have agreed you are not Igbo, then you have no right to lecture the Igbo people on whom they are.
You are wrong in claiming that Igbo people here should be ignored. You also said this is knowledge world. To be frank, alcohol is too bad to be taking this early early noon. Why not go to India in search of Bombay instead of Mumbai as it is knowledge world?.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Ngodigha: 12:43pm On May 12, 2011
airmark:

This thread reminds me of my NYSC experience with IGBO dudes in South east.
grin
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by fadhill: 12:56pm On May 12, 2011
May I believe your inability to understand english language make you wither in your understanding of the topic itself as evident in each of your posts. The mistake you are making was the hallmark of your failure to see Igbo/Ibo/Igbo/Eboan/Ebo/Heebo as a nation againt a tribal fabric you are. I never said Igbo/Ibo/Igbo/Eboan/Ebo/Heebo people should be ignore. Please read between the words, in your case. I only make assertion to your claim to what your people gospel of tautology in Igbo against Ibo. Frankly, alcohol is too bad for it has caused this your jabber. Kindly read again. Try learn.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Ngodigha: 1:08pm On May 12, 2011
fadhill:

May I believe your inability to understand english language make you wither in your understanding of the topic itself as evident in each of your posts. The mistake you are making was the hallmark of your failure to see Igbo/Ibo/Igbo/Eboan/Ebo/Heebo as a nation againt a tribal fabric you are. I never said Igbo/Ibo/Igbo/Eboan/Ebo/Heebo people should be ignore. Please read between the words, in your case. I only make assertion to your claim to what your people gospel of tautology in Igbo against Ibo. Frankly, alcohol is too bad for it has caused this your jabber. Kindly read again. Try learn.
Why are you behaving as if you were the only monkey I did not feed at the zoo yesterday?. Anyway, I will overfeed you at the zoo today as you do not know where are coming from and landing.
Am off to get some monkey food, so before my arrival at the zoo, let it sink into that giant-sized cranium of yours that it is Igbo.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by fadhill: 1:10pm On May 12, 2011
Ngodigha, to help you still. Bombay was the old name to the Mumbai city. It has no place in the contest of Ibo/Igbo. Well, if you go to India to search for Bombay instead of Mumbai, you will never lost. As the Mumbai people are not shrivelled in inferiority complex as you. They will embolden you with their pretentious smile saying our city was Bombay. Why not Igbo/Ibo/Igbo/Eboan/Ebo/Heebo see the like picture as you have pointed out in India.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by fadhill: 1:26pm On May 12, 2011
Ngodigha,may I advice you to come to Lagos/Abuja/Ibadan etal to see that the age of Okonkwo-Ikemefuna as described in the "Things Fall Apart" is no more here. Infact, the world has no place for it again as you still live in the Igbo/Ibo/Igbo/Eboan/Ebo/Heebo land in Okonkwo-Ikemefuna world influence as described in the aforementioned great book from the great author. Come to term with new age, try unvail. This is innovation as brought to your fingertips, the Internet you experience. Let me tell you this, "innovation shouldn't just change your lives. It must be a way you make a living".Try learn and innovate.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Ngodigha: 1:27pm On May 12, 2011
fadhill:

Ngodigha, to help you still. Bombay was the old name to the Mumbai city. It has no place in the contest of Ibo/Igbo. Well, if you go to India to search for Bombay instead of Mumbai, you will never lost. As the Mumbai people are not shrivelled in inferiority complex as you. They will embolden you with their pretentious smile saying our city was Bombay. Why not Igbo/Ibo/Igbo/Eboan/Ebo/Heebo see the like picture as you have pointed out in India.
The people of Mumbai are humans and they will naturally get angry if say mr X keeps asking for Bobay all the time. Since independence, Ndigbo have made it known to all that they are Igbo and their language is Igbo. Since 51 years now, some peoples brains still don't develop.
I remember very clearly that people who suffer from dementia only remember the little things that were done in the past. Some people here have got that disease.
I remember one demented woman of 92 years told me sometime ago that she wants to go to school and pick up her daughter from school. Yet her daughter last left school in the late 1940's.
My point is that in the past, some folks mistakingly called and spelt Igbo. But that is history. For those who suffer from Dementia, there are dementia drugs available in the market now as this continous usage of Igbo is too sickening
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by fadhill: 1:36pm On May 12, 2011
Ngodigha, glad its you that recount a conversation you had with a 92 years old insane. I never know this is how you live and a picture of you community. Then how do you expect to make sense in this kind of fora. What do you mean? You ask me? You know what I mean, you know where you belong. You know, you know too well. I never knew your message has been, I don't belong here.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by fadhill: 1:58pm On May 12, 2011
Justcast, those tribalmark has been a pride in Yorooba/Yorowba/Yoruba land as you care call it, my heritage. Infact, this makes define the original from imported Yorubas. It has been our hallmark. Tell you this, if a Yoruba family doen't have about 5 generations behinde without this tribalmark/hallmark/tribalgrandour. This is not original Yoruba family. In every family if not any child, the first must bear it. You couldn't go to war without it, as you may be mistaken for opponent. This is my history, my heritage, my hallmark, my pride. This is what defines me, for it speaks "who I am I". Yooroba/Yorowba/Yoruba as you define, I know you are talking about my origin, my history.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Ngodigha: 2:17pm On May 12, 2011
fadhill:

Ngodigha, glad its you that recount a conversation you had with a 92 years old insane. I never know this is how you live and a picture of you community. Then how do you expect to make sense in this kind of fora. What do you mean? You ask me? You know what I mean, you know where you belong. You know, you know too well. I never knew your message has been, I don't belong here.
To make my instace bolder
The 92 year old only remembers his activities of over 50 years ago and not the most recent because of his dementia. A lot of people in Nigeria and in this forum are like that 92 year old. They only remember that at some point in the past, it was wrogly called Igbo. Yet they can't remember that it has been corrected and it is Igbo. Non Igbo people should accept us Igbo and that is it. That nothwithstanding, they may seek help with their dementia illness.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by beejaei: 5:22pm On May 12, 2011
Some people no get job. OP is an ediot.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Alafin's Supernatural Power Over Other Oba's In Yorubaland / DHA 2020: Ooni Of Ife Receives Imperial Royal Father Of The Year Awards In Abuja / Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.