Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,997 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:59 AM

"Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" - Culture (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" (22969 Views)

I'll Like To Change My Tribe To Yoruba- Veteran Actor, Larry Koldsweat / Igbo Is The Most Popular Ethnic Group Outside Nigeria / Translate To Yoruba. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by scholes0(m): 12:48pm On May 10, 2011
And as Far as I can recall, Yoruba has been spelled as Yoruba since the beginning of written History, no differences, no changes.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by bisiaet: 12:55pm On May 10, 2011
I think there is another issue hiding under the  Igbo/Ibo complain, i seriously think you have taken it too far. It has moved from a simple correction to tribal bashing and personaly mud slinging, why? I might be wrong

My wife is Igbo for example, and i regard her village in Abia state as my second home, i go there when i have my annually leave, i dont see any Igbo person, i see a fellow human being,  Igbo, youruba, hausa french german whatever, we are all the same, all from the same Adam, so whats the fracas all about.

I also think you are being taunted by some people, deep inside everyone they have accepted the corrections, but i think the way you went about everything is wrong. I am Yoruba, if anyone calls me Yoruba, i might correct and if they persist, it does not remove a kobo from my purse, especially as ibo/Yoruba does not conote another meaning.

Please lets rest and discuss how to move NIGERIA forward. Always remember there are only 2 tribes in Nigeria and 2 race in the world: the good and the bad people.

God bless you.

Hope they would listen and stop wasting their time on nonsense issue like this I bet some of my fellow Igbo men will be upset with you for what you have just said because to us everything as per other tribes is wrong always complain about other tribes complain, complain and complain never mind our business and move on with life,
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by swiftycool(m): 12:56pm On May 10, 2011
scholes0:

U guyz should be happy that we are called ibo, Because if u guyz knew what we were called in the past, U would open your Jaws in Dismay.
We were referred to as Red [B]EBOE[/B] !!!!  shocked shocked shocked shocked

chei! una don suffer o, RED one for that matter, sorry o. it is well  undecided
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Nobody: 1:18pm On May 10, 2011
I use to pronounce igbo, ibo until some nuch of igbo educated mumu told me it igbo
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by oludashmi(f): 1:39pm On May 10, 2011
But the prob is with the ibos themselves and its only on NL that I see this disagreement. . . .Also, you should know that pple did not just wake up in the morning to call you whatever, but your pple called it for them the way they want to be called.

Up till now, 60% of SE pple that I know say ibo at every conversation and I remember asking someone if it is ibo or igbo but he said the lang is igbo while the pple are ibo while another lady said vice versa.

I have seen another who said both the lang and the pple are ibo/igbo, that the 'g' difference is only on the type of ibo dialect. Can anybody also remember a writer sometime on the dailies who claimed that they are ibos while their lang is igbo. So the education should be to the ibos then, correction and awareness to others.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Nobody: 2:01pm On May 10, 2011
Finally, I can get some quiet around here.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Ngodigha: 3:06pm On May 10, 2011
oludashmi:

But the prob is with the ibos themselves and its only on NL that I see this disagreement. . . .Also, you should know that pple did not just wake up in the morning to call you whatever, but your pple called it for them the way they want to be called.

Up till now, 60% of SE pple that I know say ibo at every conversation and I remember asking someone if it is ibo or igbo but he said the lang is igbo while the pple are ibo while another lady said vice versa.

I have seen another who said both the lang and the pple are ibo/igbo, that the 'g' difference is only on the type of ibo dialect. Can anybody also remember a writer sometime on the dailies who claimed that they are ibos while their lang is igbo. So the education should be to the ibos then, correction and awareness to others.

What a brainless crap above. What is difficult in accepting that they are Igbo?. Yet it is easy for you lots to accept it is Yoruba and not Yooroba or Hausa and not awusa.
Any one not ready to accept that it is Igbo should go and sit in the gutter.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Nobody: 3:08pm On May 10, 2011
Ngodigha:

What a brainless crap above. What is difficult in accepting that they are Igbo?. Yet it is easy for you lots to accept it is Yoruba and not Yooroba or Hausa and not awusa.
Any one not ready to accept that it is Igbo should go and sit in the gutter.
how is it brainless? he or she is only saying what is going on?
people like you just want to come here, and curse ppl out to feel calm!
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by dayokanu(m): 3:14pm On May 10, 2011
Someone on this Nairaland tols us

The People are Ibo

The Language is Igbo

The land is Alaigbo

And combined is Ndigbo
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Konjour(m): 3:20pm On May 10, 2011
OP, Thanks for the clarification.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Nobody: 3:20pm On May 10, 2011
you people are all stupid.  all the man said is that the tribe is actually spelled "igbo."  so just spell it that way.  end of story.
many of you don't have enough to do.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by KKEZ: 5:22pm On May 10, 2011
@Zstranger or whatever u call yrself, u call her a Latvian? Well Latvians are honest, simple, hardworking and no-talkatives, so u see why she is better than you? You re too much a hater, pls get lost. The world be much better without your sort angry
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by KoikiM: 5:22pm On May 10, 2011
@OP, have you not heard some Nigerian artistes like; ill bliss, ikechukwu and even ruggedman called themselves "ibo boy"? go and listen to their songs.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Ngodigha: 5:45pm On May 10, 2011
dayokanu:

Someone on this Nairaland tols us

The People are Ibo

The Language is Igbo

The land is Alaigbo

And combined is Ndigbo
The only one you got wrong is ibo.
Please, for the sake of God, it is Igbo. It is only when you go outside the east and Anioma that you hear Ibo. No radio station in Rivers, Delta or south east Nigeria ever mentions Ibo. The TV stations as well has all the programmes in Igbo.
Have a look at some of the Igbo names and places e.g Onuigbo, Igbomalu, Igboanugo, Igbokwe. They do not say Ibokwe, Iboanugo, etc. If anyone whose name is Igbokwe and you call him Ibokwe will be offended.
Also, people from Igbo-Ukwu, Obigbo, Akwukwu Igbo will take it as offence if you put it as Ibo Ukwu etc.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by macjive01: 5:53pm On May 10, 2011
So ruggedman and his cohort are now the true representation of Igbos abi? Amala brain like u.

Oyibo called it ibo becos that was wat they tot wud b the spelling. English alphabet do not have a GB, so the close they cud get was ibo.
By the way is Yoruban correct? I see that a lot in foreign books, describing the Yoruba speaking pple of Nigeria.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Ngodigha: 5:55pm On May 10, 2011
macjive01:

Or ruggedman and his cohort are now the true representation of Igbos abi? Amala brain like u.

Oyibo called it ibo becos that was wat they tot wud b the spelling. English alphabetic do not a GB, so the close they cud get was ibo.
By the way is Yoruban correct? I see that a lot in foreign books, describing the Yoruba speaking pple of Nigeria.
Well done.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Nobody: 6:04pm On May 10, 2011
Koiki.M:

@OP, have you not heard some Nigerian artistes like; ill bliss, ikechukwu and even ruggedman called themselves "ibo boy"? go and listen to their songs.

'Ibo boy' is just a slogan/slang. It has nothing to do with the ethnicity of whoever is using it. More like an american refering to himself as 'yankee boy'.

You guys should take a clue from the newpaper houses how they spell. The 'Ibo' spelling is going archaic, and now being seen as an indication of low intelligence and lack of exposure.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Natasha2(f): 6:30pm On May 10, 2011
hmm now on page 10 wow
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by IgboGirl(f): 6:30pm On May 10, 2011
I really don't care that much about non-Igbos calling/typing Ibo, the one that annoys me the most is when Igbos call/type Ibo. They should be ashamed!
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Nobody: 6:33pm On May 10, 2011
I do not see any reason why the spelling or pronunciation of an ethnic group should be an issue. Most Probably, most of us had western education where a red skin is described as a white skin, yet we accepted that without questioning why a brown skin is classified as black.

My friends, its all in our head. However, for one to accept the contention that "Ibo" is not the correct spelling, the person making the correction must show us the basis. Is he/she an authority in Igbo studies or what is his/her status in relation to ethnic studies.

As far as I am concerned, "Ibo" is simply a variation of "Igbo" please see From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Igbo people, also referred to as the Ibo, Ebo, Eboans or Heebo (Igbo: Ndị Igbọ) are an ethnic group living chiefly in southeastern Nigeria. They speak Igbo, which includes various Igboid languages and dialects;[20] today, a majority of them speak English alongside Igbo as a result of British colonialism"

The same source quoted above defined the Yorubas as follows:"The Yoruba people (Yorùbá in Yoruba orthography) are one of the largest ethnic groups in West Africa. The majority of the Yoruba speak the Yoruba language (Yoruba: èdèe Yorùbá; èdè). The Yoruba constitute between 30 and 50 million individuals  throughout West Africa and are found predominantly in Nigeria with around 21 percent of its total population."

We can see from the above that Yoruba was written as "Yoruba" therefore , it can be concluded that spelling yoruba in another form is wrong and inapplicable as it fails to measure up to its internationally accepted spelling. However, spelling "Igbo" as "Ibo or Ebo" is acceptable .

Be that as it may, if a person of an Igbo ethnic origin feels that the globally accepted spelling of igbo as ibo or ebo is not correct, then I venture to say that this is not the correct channel to make such amendment. I will advise such person to write to Wikipedia which is considered a good authority on this matter.

By the way, friends, avoid using pedestrian words against each other, we should be people of dignity and good bred.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by ak47mann(m): 6:39pm On May 10, 2011
Natasha,,:

hmm now on page 10 wow
cool cool cool are you igbo undecided undecided
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Ngodigha: 6:58pm On May 10, 2011
percipi1:

I do not see any reason why the spelling or pronunciation of an ethnic group should be an issue. Most Probably, most of us had western education where a red skin is described as a white skin, yet we accepted that without questioning why a brown skin is classified as black.

My friends, its all in our head. However, for one to accept the contention that "Ibo" is not the correct spelling, the person making the correction must show us the basis. Is he/she an authority in Igbo studies or what is his/her status in relation to ethnic studies.

As far as I am concerned, "Ibo" is simply a variation of "Igbo" please see From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Igbo people, also referred to as the Ibo, Ebo, Eboans or Heebo (Igbo: Ndị Igbọ) are an ethnic group living chiefly in southeastern Nigeria. They speak Igbo, which includes various Igboid languages and dialects;[20] today, a majority of them speak English alongside Igbo as a result of British colonialism"

The same source quoted above defined the Yorubas as follows:"The Yoruba people (Yorùbá in Yoruba orthography) are one of the largest ethnic groups in West Africa. The majority of the Yoruba speak the Yoruba language (Yoruba: èdèe Yorùbá; èdè). The Yoruba constitute between 30 and 50 million individuals throughout West Africa and are found predominantly in Nigeria with around 21 percent of its total population."

We can see from the above that Yoruba was written as "Yoruba" therefore , it can be concluded that spelling yoruba in another form is wrong and inapplicable as it fails to measure up to its internationally accepted spelling. However, spelling "Igbo" as "Ibo or Ebo" is acceptable .

Be that as it may, if a person of an Igbo ethnic origin feels that the globally accepted spelling of igbo as ibo or ebo is not correct, then I venture to say that this is not the correct channel to make such amendment. I will advise such person to write to Wikipedia which is considered a good authority on this matter.

By the way, friends, avoid using pedestrian words against each other, we should be people of dignity and good bred.
Let wikipedia not deceive you. The chap who wrote that Wikipedia page got it wrong and should not be relied upon. If at all you are Igbo, then tell me if when your eldeers gather, whether they say Igbo kwenu or Ibo kwenu?.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by IgboGirl(f): 7:09pm On May 10, 2011
percipi1:

The same source quoted above defined the Yorubas as follows:"The Yoruba people (Yorùbá in Yoruba orthography) are one of the largest ethnic groups in West Africa. The majority of the Yoruba speak the Yoruba language (Yoruba: èdèe Yorùbá; èdè). The Yoruba constitute between 30 and 50 million individuals throughout West Africa and are found predominantly in Nigeria with around 21 percent of its total population."

You are using wikipedia as your source? Is the writer of wikipedia Igbo, studied Igbo history or took an Igbo class? If you really want to know why it's IGBO instead of Ibo then go study Igbo aphabet.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Natasha2(f): 7:15pm On May 10, 2011
ak47mann:

cool cool cool are you igbo undecided undecided

no i'm not I'm a Fulani girl kiss
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by ak47mann(m): 7:18pm On May 10, 2011
Natasha,,:

no i'm not I'm a Fulani girl kiss
undecided undecided undecided undecided hausa girl mmmmhhh with Natasha name angry want to be bad hausa girl cool cool cool
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Nobody: 7:19pm On May 10, 2011
Thank you Ngodigha, I hope I spelt your name correctly, If not forgive me.

I am not Igbo by origin but definitely have families who are married to Igbos, lived in Enugu for almost two years and have lots of igbo friends. Therefore, I can proudly say that I am Igbo by association

Sincerely speaking, we were taught in School that "Ibo" is a variation of Igbo but while living in Enugu, i came to realise the exact pronunciation of the word among the locals. However, I notice that the well read among the Igbo do not contend with the use of "Ibo"

Now such general acceptance among educated and cosmopolitan Igbos is likely to confused less resourceful people. Therefore, It behoves on whosoever saddles himself with the responsibility of addressing this misnomer to do it with tact and documentary references not by indignation.

I believe the majority will reason along a logical perspective.

Igbo kwenu! ( Tell me how many people read "Things Fall apart" by Chinua Achebe or even have a copy till date. I do)
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Nobody: 7:20pm On May 10, 2011
Natasha,,:

no i'm not I'm a Fulani girl  kiss

From where ? Katsina or sakwato  grin
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Natasha2(f): 7:31pm On May 10, 2011
ak47mann:

undecided undecided undecided undecided hausa girl mmmmhhh with Natasha name angry want to be bad hausa girl cool cool cool
I said Fulani not Hausa we are different
~Bluetooth:

From where ? Katsina or sakwato  grin
why are you so excited? cheesy
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Nobody: 7:34pm On May 10, 2011
@ Igbogirl. Please take it from me that remarks like yours will not help in the clarification of this issue

It is okay to be angry but be mindful of using words that shows your indignation. It usually lead pragmatic people to defer to you on the basis of your caricatured representation.

I do not know who wrote the segment on Igbos in Wikipedia so do you. It could be an Igbo, afterall we learn the word "Ibo" from our teachers.

Please be calm and objective and you will sway us . I know you must be a lovely fellow
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Ngodigha: 7:35pm On May 10, 2011
percipi1:

Thank you Ngodigha, I hope I spelt your name correctly, If not forgive me.

I am not Igbo by origin but definitely have families who are married to Igbos, lived in Enugu for almost two years and have lots of igbo friends. Therefore, I can proudly say that I am Igbo by association

Sincerely speaking, we were taught in School that "Ibo" is a variation of Igbo but while living in Enugu, i came to realise the exact pronunciation of the word among the locals. However, I notice that the well read among the Igbo do not contend with the use of "Ibo"

Now such general acceptance among educated and cosmopolitan Igbos is likely to confused less resourceful people. Therefore, It behoves on whosoever saddles himself with the responsibility of addressing this misnomer to do it with tact and documentary references not by indignation.

I believe the majority will reason along a logical perspective.

Igbo kwenu! ( Tell me how many people read "Things Fall apart" by Chinua Achebe or even have a copy till date. I do)
Thanks for your post.
Even the Igbo apex body is known and called Ohanaeze ndi IGBO. Not Ohanaeze ndi ibo.
Igbo---People of South east Nigeria and also found in parts of Rivers and Delta states.
Igbo---language of a people.
Ndigbo--The Igbo people.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Natasha2(f): 7:37pm On May 10, 2011
akforiseven and bluefuff please I was just joking I wanted to see what you would say I'm not a Fulani girl  cheesy
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Nobody: 8:30pm On May 10, 2011
Natasha,,:

akforiseven and bluefuff please I was just joking I wanted to see what you would say I'm not a Fulani girl  cheesy

My ex was a yoruba/fulani,so I kinda find them interesting than those ibo girls who are only out to suck you dry.Anyways where is your constituency ? grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Alfred Akawe-Torkula, Tor Of Tiv Is Dead / Alafin's Supernatural Power Over Other Oba's In Yorubaland / Ooni Ogunwusi With John Mahama In Ghana, Gets Lovely Art Gift On His Ghana Trip

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.