Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,798 members, 7,820,801 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:59 PM

Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story (8564 Views)

Chimamanda Adichie 'the Oba’s Words Matter' :: / Chimamanda Adichie: The Miraculous Deliverance Of Oga Jona / The Dangers Of A Single Story By Chiamanda Adichie (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story by dustydee: 10:21am On May 09, 2011
I decided to post this so some of the people here will retrace their steps and stop stereotyping. There has been too much north and south bashing even by those who have not left the comfort of their village.We hear things about the Ijaws for example and conclude that all of them are like that,we must no continue like this.

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/chimamanda_adichie_the_danger_of_a_single_story.html
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story by AjanleKoko: 12:55pm On May 09, 2011
@OP,
This one is old.
Though I can immediately predict how this particular thread will play out:

- The Igbo chaps will claim her immediately, as proof of how intelligent the Igbos are, and how dumb the others, especially Yorubas, are.
- The Yorubas will bounce back by listing 10 other Yoruba chicks who also write, sing, or act, while immediately dismissing Chimamanda as a mere pop tart, plus also remind everybody how a Yoruba man is the only Nobel Laureate.
- The dudes from the Romance section will applaud her frontals.
- The conspiracy theorists will move the thread in the direction of how the white man has suppressed our great authors like Chimamanda.
- The NL intellectuals will start a debate regarding which school in the US she attended, and how well it compares to the one they currently attend, and throw in a lament of how Nigerian education has gone to the dogs. Plus an analysis of what her IQ is likely to be, whether or not she's a member of MENSA, and so on.
-Maybe Musiwa might throw in a map of her ancestral home, plus the waypoints to where she currently lives.

Nobody will bother to discuss the talk itself.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story by Pharoh: 12:58pm On May 09, 2011
^^

You are very right but we really need to put an end to this tribalism and fighting in nairaland as whole especially in the politics section.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story by Bawss1(m): 1:02pm On May 09, 2011
Ajanlekoko predictions just gave me the laugh for the day. Nice one Oga.  cheesy cheesy
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story by Pharoh: 1:09pm On May 09, 2011
Bawss1:

Ajanlekoko predictions just gave me the laugh for the day. Nice one Oga.  cheesy cheesy

I dey roll for floor self and the analysis is on point like someone very vast and experienced about the happening here in nairaland lol . grin cheesy
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story by chamber2(m): 1:09pm On May 09, 2011

You are very right but we really need to put an end to this tribalism and fighting in nairaland as whole especially in the politics section.

Will there really be an end to tribalism in Nigeria?Especially when we are still tied to the apron of superiority complex.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story by Nobody: 1:15pm On May 09, 2011
Lmao, Aja u have officially bagged this thread.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story by houvest: 1:23pm On May 09, 2011
Nice one Ajanlekoko.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story by isquar3d3(m): 1:24pm On May 09, 2011
AjanleKoko:

@OP,
This one is old.

- The Igbo chaps will claim her immediately, as proof of how intelligent the Igbos are, and how dumb the others, especially Yorubas, are.
- The Yorubas will bounce back by listing 10 other Yoruba chicks who also write, sing, or act, while immediately dismissing Chimamanda as a mere pop tart, plus also remind everybody how a Yoruba man is the only Nobel Laureate.
- The conspiracy theorists will move the thread in the direction of how the white man has suppressed our great authors like Chimamanda.
- The NL intellectuals will start a debate regarding which school in the US she attended, and how well it compares to the one they currently attend, and throw in a lament of how Nigerian education has gone to the dogs. Plus an analysis of what her IQ is likely to be, whether or not she's a member of MENSA, and so on.
-Maybe Musiwa might throw in a map of her ancestral home, plus the waypoints to where she currently lives.

i don laugh tire 4 here. And its all friggin true. Can't remember d last time i saw a thread that started nd ended on d main theme of dt thread.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story by Nobody: 1:27pm On May 09, 2011
AjanleKoko:

@OP,
This one is old.

. Hehehe,
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story by chino11(m): 1:45pm On May 09, 2011
Igbo jews produced the best and brightest Nigeria and Africa can boast of in today's world.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story by olaolabiy: 1:45pm On May 09, 2011
AjanleKoko:

@OP,
This one is old.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
LWKMD.

Haaaaaaaaaha. Just made moi day.

You wicked small oo. Haba. Very apt. grin
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story by olaolabiy: 1:47pm On May 09, 2011
chino11:

Igbo jews produced the best and brightest Nigeria and Africa can boast of in today's world.

Gba gannnn

Battle don start grin
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story by beejaei: 1:56pm On May 09, 2011
Who are the NL intellectuals?

By the way, I disagree with Ms. Adichie. I believe that we have to tell all stories even the negative ones. We do not have an obligation to treat the positive stories as more important or more representative than the negative stories. If we are denying our problems, how do we solve them?
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story by EzeUche2(m): 1:58pm On May 09, 2011
AjanleKoko:

@OP,
This one is old.

I cannot argue with this synopsis. Wonderful job you have done. This would be hilarious if it wasn't true. But this is the way Nairaland operates. Maybe we should move on from these tribalistic postings, because it is not helping the Politics section. However, I doubt people would agree with me, because I know many Nairaland posters enjoy the ethnic battles. Even though there is not much different between us, many people tend to focus on the small things that are different and then act like their is wide separation between the various groups that live in Nigeria. It is sad but true.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story by AjanleKoko: 2:12pm On May 09, 2011
EzeUche_:

I cannot argue with this synopsis. Wonderful job you have done. This would be hilarious if it wasn't true. But this is the way Nairaland operates. Maybe we should move on from these tribalistic postings, because it is not helping the Politics section. However, I doubt people would agree with me, because I know many Nairaland posters enjoy the ethnic battles. Even though there is not much different between us, many people tend to focus on the small things that are different and then act like their is wide separation between the various groups that live in Nigeria. It is sad but true.

Well, tribes are back in these days, according to Seth Godin.

beejaei:

The group of people who tout their intellectual credentials on every discussion. You prolly know who they are.

beejaei:

By the way, I disagree with Ms. Adichie. I believe that we have to tell all stories even the negative ones. We do not have an obligation to treat the positive stories as more important or more representative than the negative stories. If we are denying our problems, how do we solve them?

I share your point of view. The good, bad, and ugly stories, is what makes us who we are. If you read, say, European history, you see that there is no particular attempt to paint a positive picture every time. It's not really about 'positive' or 'negative', it's about the events that happened, how they affected history, and what were the consequent events. Possibly Ms Adichie is being sentimental like most Africans tend to be.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story by SEFAGO(m): 2:28pm On May 09, 2011
LOL embarassed

Hilarious Ajanlekoko

Jeez I was about to get the ball rolling for a thread derailment session until I saw that grin
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story by beejaei: 2:29pm On May 09, 2011
The group of people who tout their intellectual credentials on every discussion. You prolly know who they are.

Name them please. lol

I want to start avoiding the tribalists.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story by AjanleKoko: 2:34pm On May 09, 2011
beejaei:

Name them please. lol

Naaah.
That is exactly what I don't wanna do. None of these people are evil, so no need to avoid them.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story by chamber2(m): 2:34pm On May 09, 2011

That will be a very huge war for you. Everyone on NL is somewhat an intellectual.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story by AjanleKoko: 2:40pm On May 09, 2011
chamber2:

That will be a very huge war for you. Everyone on NL is somewhat an intellectual.

Nah, there's a very distinct Tribe (sorry I borrowed Godin's language) of Intellectuals on Nairaland.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story by Nobody: 2:45pm On May 09, 2011
What exactly is this thread about ?
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story by amblors(m): 2:46pm On May 09, 2011
Its an old presentation, but she's on point there and sincere.
its a deep one, everybody should not just hear, but listen and absorb.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story by Ivynwa(f): 2:58pm On May 09, 2011
AjanleKoko:

@OP,
This one is old.

- The Igbo chaps will claim her immediately, as proof of how intelligent the Igbos are, and how dumb the others, especially Yorubas, are.- The Yorubas will bounce back by listing 10 other Yoruba chicks who also write, sing, or act, while immediately dismissing Chimamanda as a mere pop tart, plus also remind everybody how a Yoruba man is the only Nobel Laureate.
- The conspiracy theorists will move the thread in the direction of how the white man has suppressed our great authors like Chimamanda.-
The NL intellectuals will start a debate regarding which school in the US she attended, and how well it compares to the one they currently attend, and throw in a lament of how Nigerian education has gone to the do[b][/b]gs. Plus an analysis of what her IQ is likely to be, whether or not she's a member of MENSA, and so on.
-Maybe [b]Musiwa might throw in a map of her ancestral home, plus the waypoints to where she currently lives.[/b]Nobody will bother to discuss the talk itself.

Ivynwa rolled on her desk and laughed and laughed and laughed.
@Ajanlekoko
Old boy you too much o-o-o, thanks for giving me NL Laughter Number one of the day.

In my own opinion I will say that we humans are the ones that constrain ourselves to "the danger of believing a one-sided single story", it results from small mindedness and the inability to broaden the mind in thinking. Sometimes the environment contributes to it only on this condition: if you yourself that hears ideas from the people around you, believes it without questioning, researching or verifying it. Yet there is no denying the fact that some single stories have an atom of truth to it, we should only be careful not to generalize and conceptualize all people from a story.
As per the Tribalists of NL, I have learnt to avoid their sickening rantings and not bother with reading their posts. Some Africans that were affected by the slave trade (that is the descendants) are out there broken hearted that they do not know their origin or tribe and some of us(the tribalists) in Africa that should embrace ourselves in oneness are here castigating and pouting to ourselves like " tongue  tongue  tongue you are from so so tribe and your people ain't no where close or can't be measured to my people". Just the very way kids pout when they play. grin   grin kiss kiss kiss. Isn't it ridiculous? One love people!
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story by hymen(f): 2:59pm On May 09, 2011
AjanleKoko:

@OP,
This one is old.

You are too much  cheesy cheesy
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story by congoshine(m): 3:00pm On May 09, 2011
AjanleKoko:

@OP,
This one is old.

She has zero frontals cry cry
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story by dustydee: 3:01pm On May 09, 2011
beejaei:

I believe she was trying to say we should not only focus on the bad side of things but have a complete picture of issues around us.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story by dustydee: 3:09pm On May 09, 2011
I think the northerners are the worst victims of this single story issue. Remember "ADAMU"? and how every hausa man is an ADAMU or MUMU? I served in Cross river and met some Yoruba girls who were amazed that a "hausa" man was serving and also a christian, all attempts to let them know that I am Nupe, a christian and not hausa failed as they assumed everyone from the north has to be hausa and muslim. I was shocked at their knowledge of Nigerian geography.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story by Bawss1(m): 3:39pm On May 09, 2011
So far none of the predictions have come true, Ajanlekoko has attempted to change the course of destiny of a NL thread with his predictions cheesy
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story by ManTJ1(m): 3:41pm On May 09, 2011
, and dts what NL has just done, some people were just sopporting Ajalekoko's view.
Any ways dts humans for you. Always having excuses
cheesy
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story by proudly9ja(m): 3:41pm On May 09, 2011
I also think the way we tell this story matters a lot. When we were told stories of the hausas, we were told to distant ourselves from them as they are too 'dirty' or 'dangerous'. The Igbos we were told were too  money consious and would do anything for money. Funny enough, we were even told to be cautious of how we relate with members of our own tribe, that jealousy could make them curse you or 'jazz' you as the case may be.

There is nothing wrong with sharing the bad sides of our history. What is wrong is not moving on from this history and letting them affect the way we relate with each other today.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger Of A Single Story by Nobody: 3:56pm On May 09, 2011
dustydee:

I think the northerners are the worst victims of this single story issue. Remember "ADAMU"? and how every hausa man is an ADAMU or MUMU? I served in Cross river and met some Yoruba girls who were amazed that a "hausa" man was serving and also a christian, all attempts to let them know that I am Nupe, a christian and not hausa failed as they assumed everyone from the north has to be hausa and muslim. I was shocked at their knowledge of Nigerian geography.
that's hw dose (irrespective of tribe) who have never ventured out of their immediate arrears act.wia am serving in delta, d immediate past nccf mammo was always called 'mollah' behind her cos she's from adamawa

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Jos Airport Erects First Security Watch Tower In Nigerian Airports / Who Noticed Buhari's Swipe At The So Called First Lady? / Appeal Court Upholds Senator Abaribe's Election

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.