Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,117 members, 7,814,919 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:27 PM

DSS Stops Nnamdi Kanu From Signing Letter For UK Consular Assistance — Lawyer - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / DSS Stops Nnamdi Kanu From Signing Letter For UK Consular Assistance — Lawyer (42506 Views)

We Have Offered Consular Assistance To Nnamdi Kanu - UK High Commissioner (Video / Nnamdi Kanu: UK To Provide Consular Assistance To IPOB Leader / DSS Stops Sowore From Addressing The Press, Grabs Him (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

DSS Stops Nnamdi Kanu From Signing Letter For UK Consular Assistance — Lawyer by fergie001: 2:21pm On Jul 19, 2021
The Department of State Services has stopped detained leader of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra, Nnamdi Kanu, from signing a consular assistance form by the United Kingdom.

One of the counsels for the detained IPOB leader, Aloy Ejimakor, disclosed this in a statement on Monday after visiting Kanu in DSS custody.

Kanu, who was born on September 25, 1967, is a holder of Nigerian and British passports. Upon his re-arrest and extradition from a foreign country, he was arraigned before Justice Binta Nyako of the Federal High Court in Abuja for terrorism-related charges and has since been remanded in the custody of the Department of State Services. He had jumped bail before fleeing to the United Kingdom.

The PUNCH had earlier reported that the British Government expressed readiness to provide “consular assistance” for Kanu but need him to assent to the assistance by signing some forms.

Head of Communications, British High Commission in Abuja, Dean Hurlock, had told The PUNCH that “The British High Commission in Abuja is currently in the process of seeking clarification from the Nigerian government about the circumstances of the arrest.

“With regard to any questions about whether the British High Commission are providing assistance in this case, we can confirm that the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office stands ready to provide consular assistance.”

Subsequently, Ejimakor delivered two forms to the IPOB leader last Wednesday during a visit to the office of the secret police.

But in a statement sent to our correspondent on Monday, the lawyer said the forms were returned to him unsigned.

Ejimakor’s statement was titled, ‘Summary of my visitation with our Client, Mazi Nnamdi Kanu on Monday 19th July’.

It read, “Last Saturday, when I visited Mazi Kanu, I expressed strong concerns about the inordinate delay in having Kanu sign the two Forms I had taken to the DSS for Kanu’s signature some days before.

“Both Forms relate to affirming his consent to consular and diplomatic interventions by the United Kingdom and her High Commission in Nigeria.

“Surprisingly, the Forms were returned to me unsigned.

“Let me make it clear that the day I took the Forms to the DSS, the officers on location were amenable to Kanu signing them until somewhere along the line, they tarried and decided to send it to the legal unit for vetting.

“So, my sense is that it’s the legal unit of the DSS that disapproved of Kanu signing the Forms for reasons that were not given to me.

“As a lawyer, I don’t see any legal advantage the government of Nigeria stands to gain by blocking Kanu from signing those Forms. The Forms are but a mere routine in matters like this.

“Instead of any advantage, the refusal will help fuel the notion that the government of Nigeria is deliberately isolating Kanu from having consular and diplomatic access to the United Kingdom.

“It does not comport with the best traditions of fundamental fairness that a detainee is being denied access to resources that will assist him in his defence. This is one of the things that will count in our reckoning as this matter continues to fold.

“For these reasons, I am now compelled to call on the British High Commission in Nigeria to banish every red tape and exert the full weight of its diplomatic clout in gaining immediate access to Kanu. This is especially important, given the prospects of better welfare, including adequate medical care for Mazi Kanu.

“Further, the prompt intervention of the High Commission will mean that Kanu will have another layer of human contact in addition to his legal team who are the only ones currently allowed to see him.”

PUNCH

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: DSS Stops Nnamdi Kanu From Signing Letter For UK Consular Assistance — Lawyer by Amotolongbo(f): 2:23pm On Jul 19, 2021
Why now?

They should have allowed him to sign the form.
Are the DSS and Nigerian Government afraid of anything?

Since they claim the repatriation wasn’t an abduction and was done legally with the foreign agents, there should not be any cause for alarm.

421 Likes 24 Shares

Re: DSS Stops Nnamdi Kanu From Signing Letter For UK Consular Assistance — Lawyer by festacman(m): 2:25pm On Jul 19, 2021

1 Like 4 Shares

Re: DSS Stops Nnamdi Kanu From Signing Letter For UK Consular Assistance — Lawyer by Iyiataata92: 2:26pm On Jul 19, 2021
Ok
Re: DSS Stops Nnamdi Kanu From Signing Letter For UK Consular Assistance — Lawyer by Nobody: 2:27pm On Jul 19, 2021
Kanu is a Nigerian by birth, he is from Abia state and holds a Nigerian passport.

So what consular service does he wants. The DSS is right for rejecting the form.

The type of adjournment kanu will receive in his case will pass Major Hamza al-Mustapha own....before you know it, he would have spend 12 years in dss custody until a presidential pardon is given by some lenient presidency.

202 Likes 16 Shares

Re: DSS Stops Nnamdi Kanu From Signing Letter For UK Consular Assistance — Lawyer by Iyiataata92: 2:30pm On Jul 19, 2021
KillMNKnow:
Fck him.. kill the bastard

Association of chest beaters can go fck themselves
Mere attention seeking.
MNK is making you popular
Keep riding

248 Likes 14 Shares

Re: DSS Stops Nnamdi Kanu From Signing Letter For UK Consular Assistance — Lawyer by Legendrysailor(m): 2:32pm On Jul 19, 2021
D nairalander with d monicker killmnknow is a product of copulation btw a simpleton and a dimwit. So bad

303 Likes 18 Shares

Re: DSS Stops Nnamdi Kanu From Signing Letter For UK Consular Assistance — Lawyer by Legendrysailor(m): 2:33pm On Jul 19, 2021
KillMNKnow:

Association of chest beaters can go fck themselves.

They make themselves bigger than the royal niger company but just one IGP and his 8 boys able to destroy them.

The Messiah captured like mouse fcking chest beaters

U are worse than a pig
U will die b4 him

271 Likes 18 Shares

Re: DSS Stops Nnamdi Kanu From Signing Letter For UK Consular Assistance — Lawyer by KillMNKnow(f): 2:34pm On Jul 19, 2021
Iyiataata92:

Mere attention seeking.
MNK is making you popular
Keep riding
grin well I got your attention? Didn't i

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: DSS Stops Nnamdi Kanu From Signing Letter For UK Consular Assistance — Lawyer by KillMNKnow(f): 2:35pm On Jul 19, 2021
Legendrysailor:

U are worse than a pig
U will die b4 him
grin but I don't look like a pig and I'm a repentant IPIG though

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: DSS Stops Nnamdi Kanu From Signing Letter For UK Consular Assistance — Lawyer by Legendrysailor(m): 2:36pm On Jul 19, 2021
KillMNKnow:
grin shege arnen banza

U will hear from me

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: DSS Stops Nnamdi Kanu From Signing Letter For UK Consular Assistance — Lawyer by KillMNKnow(f): 2:36pm On Jul 19, 2021
Legendrysailor:

U will hear from me
waiting

3 Likes

Re: DSS Stops Nnamdi Kanu From Signing Letter For UK Consular Assistance — Lawyer by Clerverly: 2:36pm On Jul 19, 2021
For these reasons, I am now compelled to call on the British High Commission in Nigeria to banish every red tape and exert the full weight of its diplomatic clout in gaining immediate access to Kanu.

This guy is a clown grin grin grin

Imagine the kind of brainless idiotu, iPOB terrorists are relying to free their Killer Leader.. grin grin

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: DSS Stops Nnamdi Kanu From Signing Letter For UK Consular Assistance — Lawyer by moriss33(m): 2:37pm On Jul 19, 2021
Frustrated soul....bandits dey wipe out ur fellow northerners u siddon here dey vibrate ontop NK matter
KillMNKnow:

They make themselves bigger than Nigeria but just one IGP and his 8 boys able to destroy them.

Their Messiah captured like mouse. fcking chest beaters

76 Likes 4 Shares

Re: DSS Stops Nnamdi Kanu From Signing Letter For UK Consular Assistance — Lawyer by Fejoku: 2:38pm On Jul 19, 2021
thebosstrevor1:
Kanu is a Nigerian by birth, he is from Abia state and holds a Nigerian passport.

So what consular service does he wants. The DSS is right for rejecting the form.
MNK is Biafran by birth(his birthday falls into when Biafra was in existence) and a British citizen by naturalization( he wilfully chose to be a citizen). Whatever connects him to Nigeria was forced on him. Can you fault my points? I don't expect your useless and terrorist government to accept easily anyway. Una go learn by force.

133 Likes 11 Shares

Re: DSS Stops Nnamdi Kanu From Signing Letter For UK Consular Assistance — Lawyer by Earlystar698(m): 2:38pm On Jul 19, 2021
KillMNKnow:

They make themselves bigger than Nigeria but just one IGP and his 8 boys able to destroy them.

Busted condom would have prevented a calamity like you but you're parents refuse to use it..umuekwensu get a life, meanwhile your terrorist brother's are busy eliminating all the plane you fools call fighter jet..I only pity some that'd call you father.

72 Likes 8 Shares

Re: DSS Stops Nnamdi Kanu From Signing Letter For UK Consular Assistance — Lawyer by Clerverly: 2:38pm On Jul 19, 2021
Fejoku:

MNK is Biafran by birth(his birthday falls into when Biafra was in existence) and a British citizen by naturalization( he wilfully chose to be a citizen). Whatever connects him to Nigeria was forced on him. Can you fault my points? I don't expect your useless and terrorist government to accept easily anyway. Una go learn by force.

See IpOB thought grin grin grin

13 Likes

Re: DSS Stops Nnamdi Kanu From Signing Letter For UK Consular Assistance — Lawyer by Penguin2: 2:39pm On Jul 19, 2021
KillMNKnow:

No go hang yourself sha!

Meanwhile, if you think we are chest beaters, tell DSS to allow Kanu sign the Consular papers.

You people don’t know what you got yourselves into.

71 Likes 7 Shares

Re: DSS Stops Nnamdi Kanu From Signing Letter For UK Consular Assistance — Lawyer by KillMNKnow(f): 2:40pm On Jul 19, 2021
Earlystar698:

Busted condom would have prevented a calamity like you but you're parents refuse to use it..umuekwensu get a life, meanwhile your terrorist brother's are busy eliminating all the plane you fools call fighter jet..I only pity some that'd call you father.
I'm a mother with two beautiful daughters. Thanks

4 Likes

Re: DSS Stops Nnamdi Kanu From Signing Letter For UK Consular Assistance — Lawyer by Earlystar698(m): 2:40pm On Jul 19, 2021
My friend hopes to work for the DSS someday. I'm very concerned. What can I do to stop this tragedy?

4 Likes

Re: DSS Stops Nnamdi Kanu From Signing Letter For UK Consular Assistance — Lawyer by Maxymilliano(m): 2:40pm On Jul 19, 2021
I don't see why the government, as represented by DSS and the Attorney general should be against such, If signing for consular assistance will give Kanu a lifeline and help his case

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: DSS Stops Nnamdi Kanu From Signing Letter For UK Consular Assistance — Lawyer by Joromi1: 2:40pm On Jul 19, 2021
Too much noise about one man. How a whole tribe is ready to die for one irritating noisemaker still beats my imagination. Tueh!

1 Like

Re: DSS Stops Nnamdi Kanu From Signing Letter For UK Consular Assistance — Lawyer by Earlystar698(m): 2:41pm On Jul 19, 2021
KillMNKnow:
I'm a mother with two beautiful daughters. Thanks

No your a lowlife without an IQ

55 Likes 4 Shares

Re: DSS Stops Nnamdi Kanu From Signing Letter For UK Consular Assistance — Lawyer by RZArecta(m): 2:41pm On Jul 19, 2021
KillMNKnow:
[s]Fck him.. kill the bastard

Their Messiah captured like mouse. fcking chest beaters[/s]
terrorists and their sympathisers no longer hide their heads in shame these days but at least we get to spot them easily cool

27 Likes

Re: DSS Stops Nnamdi Kanu From Signing Letter For UK Consular Assistance — Lawyer by Tranquillity360: 2:41pm On Jul 19, 2021
The zoo won't know what hit them,they should continue.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: DSS Stops Nnamdi Kanu From Signing Letter For UK Consular Assistance — Lawyer by Fejoku: 2:43pm On Jul 19, 2021
Clerverly:

See IpOB thought grin grin grin
Can you disprove it?

8 Likes

Re: DSS Stops Nnamdi Kanu From Signing Letter For UK Consular Assistance — Lawyer by Tranquillity360: 2:44pm On Jul 19, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

The type of adjournment kanu will receive in his case will pass Major Hamza al-Mustapha own....before you know it, he would have spend 12 years in dss custody until a presidential pardon is given by some lenient presidency.
Kanu is not a Nigerian by birth.

His birth certificate bears republic of Biafra.

You can go confirm that.

34 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Radio Biafra Transmitters Installed On MTN Masts —FG / Voters In FCT Are Not Special, I Don't Need 25% There To Win – Tinubu / Saraki Hands Over To Ekweremadu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.