Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,719 members, 7,831,286 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 04:33 PM

FG To End ₦30 Billion Monthly Electricity Subsidy Next Year — Osinbajo - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG To End ₦30 Billion Monthly Electricity Subsidy Next Year — Osinbajo (20575 Views)

FG’s Monthly Electricity Subsidy Spending To Crash By 52% On New Tariff Hike / Wike Spent ₦30 Billion On Delegates - Peterside / FG Removes Electricity Subsidy Quietly, Petrol In Phases (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG To End ₦30 Billion Monthly Electricity Subsidy Next Year — Osinbajo by Nobody: 12:41pm On Jul 27, 2021
quentin06:

What do you mean by cost reflective tariff, ? Have they not been increasing tariffs over the past years.

What cost do they really incure? Tell me one new major infrastructure a disco near you has built for power distribution.

People like you are the problem,you dont even know the meaning of the word 'cost reflective tariff'.

In your eyes all Nigerians are very wealthy so they should spend all their wealth in paying for electricity that is not supplied.

Another useful idiot talking, I can bet you ve never paid electricity bills out of your own pocket before.

One thing I don't like about Nigerians, once they lose the argument, they go and abuse and abuse.

Anyway, read the paper I linked upthread.

Good afternoon. I thought we were not in a abuse match. And yet, you abused me. I did not abuse you, and I see no reason why you should do so to me.

P.S i Have paid power bills...from estimated billing to meter currently;.

Re: FG To End ₦30 Billion Monthly Electricity Subsidy Next Year — Osinbajo by frog12: 12:42pm On Jul 27, 2021
these GUYS like to TALK, TALK, TALK and SPEND ! grin grin grin grin
Re: FG To End ₦30 Billion Monthly Electricity Subsidy Next Year — Osinbajo by Wordoftruth: 12:42pm On Jul 27, 2021
The are mad which subsidy? Something they have increased from N24 to N33 to N53. APC and wickedness are like 5 and 6.now they want to increase it again. Let them just destroy us all. Fools
Re: FG To End ₦30 Billion Monthly Electricity Subsidy Next Year — Osinbajo by Stevosty: 12:56pm On Jul 27, 2021
Beancounter94:

One thing I don't like about Nigerians, once they lose the argument, they go and abuse and abuse.

Anyway, read the paper I linked upthread.

Good afternoon. I thought we were not in a abuse match. And yet, you abused me. I did not abuse you, and I see no reason why you should do so to me.

P.S i Have paid power bills...from estimated billing to meter currently;.
I guess he called you so because you think Nigerians are, how can you be defending nonsense?
Re: FG To End ₦30 Billion Monthly Electricity Subsidy Next Year — Osinbajo by Urchmantete: 12:57pm On Jul 27, 2021
Okay
Re: FG To End ₦30 Billion Monthly Electricity Subsidy Next Year — Osinbajo by Nobody: 12:59pm On Jul 27, 2021
daddytime:
Opari o

At some point, even the DISCOS and GENCOS go just fold up.

Na who chop belleful go dey reason light matter or get money to take pay outrageous bills.

To even run on generator to self-generate light sef go be war.

To the poster before me:

The one thing picked from your comment is the "maybe" conditional statement.

You can free up every subsidy fund as much as you can but trust me, those freed up fund will still end up in one man's coffers as usual.

Our problem big pass just subsidy.

Thank you and God bless you. More wisdom to your medulla. The Poster up there, I think some people are far from the realities of what Is happening In shiiiithole.....
Re: FG To End ₦30 Billion Monthly Electricity Subsidy Next Year — Osinbajo by ufotty2001: 12:59pm On Jul 27, 2021
TheRareGem1:
The last administration made a very wrong move, such move is frustrating this Administration's effort in the energy sector, you don't sell energy to incompetence fellows just because they are your friends, those ones handled it the way they like, liquidated Skye Bank in the process and here we are, the FG is rectifying these problems.

Though electricity has improved compared to how it was in the last 16 years, the foresightedness of our leader to bringing solar especially for the people who are not connected to national grid is a good initiative. The caping regulation signed by Mr. P too is superb.

Prof. Osinbajo, who was represented by the Special Assistant to the President on Infrastructure, Engr. Ahmad Zakari, noted that government would be investing over $3 billion in the coming years to improve transmission and distribution infrastructure across the country.
Don't allow me swear for you..
Re: FG To End ₦30 Billion Monthly Electricity Subsidy Next Year — Osinbajo by Nobody: 1:05pm On Jul 27, 2021
SpecialAdviser:
What this will translate to is that you will need up to 30k to have power monthly.

If fuel subsidy is also removed, you will be spending up 20k on transport monthly.

Since food price is already high, you need 50k for feeding monthly.

Other welfare you need 20k to maintain monthly.

This gives a total of 120k for an average Nigerian to survive.

If you are doing job that fetch you 60k monthly ,60-120 = -60k monthly

With your debt you are going to either hang yourself or become an armed robber to survive.

Meanwhile, senators are going home with up to 30million monthly.

Looting will also be increased with politicians indulging in all manner of evil ritualism to stay in the game.

Bandits will kidnap more people and even police will shoot more people who refuse to corporate. We all know the evil of subsidy and why it's good to be removed but what about stopping corruption first.

And some mum.us think MNK or Igboho are not fighting a just course. While you slowpoke.s swallow all the nonsense thrown at you, Is it not time you started hailing those fighting to bring about the real change? Shame on all of you.

My love for realists and realistic people knows no bound. People like us are not up Ten Percent of the population of shiiiithole. What we have In large numbers are delusional and Ignoramus zombies.....

3 Likes

Re: FG To End ₦30 Billion Monthly Electricity Subsidy Next Year — Osinbajo by obi58: 1:13pm On Jul 27, 2021
jumper524:
The corruption going on in this country, even the common man is part of it.
Until we totally scrap all this subsidies, Nigerians would forever remain lazy and never wake up to realities.
Imagine if fuel subsidy was scraped?
The $300million dollar we spend monthly would be used to develop other sector and maybe the electricity sector would have been more stable hence less consumption of fuel.
More billionaires would build private refineries without political cabals but the truth is that if they should dare venture, they'll be definitely run at a loss..

I beg to differ Sir.....

The government should fix the four existing refineries first before removing subsidy.

What is killing the country is the amount of FX used in fuel importation.

Any attempt to remove subsidy before fixing the refineries would spell instant disaster for the country as inflation would spiral out of control.
Re: FG To End ₦30 Billion Monthly Electricity Subsidy Next Year — Osinbajo by Nobody: 1:14pm On Jul 27, 2021
Stevosty:
I guess he called you so because you think Nigerians are, how can you be defending nonsense?

Well, he is, in my opinion, also engaging in some flawed economic reasoning, yet I see no reason why I should insult him, and you as well. This isn't an abuse match for me, and I am getting too old to be engaging in abuse of everyone..

For the record, sharp practices happen in the power sector because power companies cannot charge cost reflective tarrifs due to government price controls.

Meaning they do sharp practices, or they fold up,. and people lose their jobs.

So, either let them make profits or the sharp practice would continue.

Do have a good day
Re: FG To End ₦30 Billion Monthly Electricity Subsidy Next Year — Osinbajo by Nobody: 1:15pm On Jul 27, 2021
Just kill everyone with your ill-advised policies. We know the real change will come when we're ready for it.
Re: FG To End ₦30 Billion Monthly Electricity Subsidy Next Year — Osinbajo by Nobody: 1:15pm On Jul 27, 2021
rottennaija:
[s]Give us meters and watch the sector turn around immediately. Mass Metering is the key. Allow 3rd parties who have no link with discos import and supply meters massively.[/s]

Keep on dreaming, Nice dream anywaysgrin

Re: FG To End ₦30 Billion Monthly Electricity Subsidy Next Year — Osinbajo by obi58: 1:17pm On Jul 27, 2021
Beancounter94:

Am all for meters, but then there is the problem of meter bypass.

(My former landlord once had to pay a penalty to the local DISCO because one of his tenants bypassed the meter, and vamoosed without paying for the free power)

There is a reason why people bypass meters and continue to do so and the reason is that energy costs are quite high and unaffordable. If minimum wage which government has been unable to pay is N30k and average monthly energy costs in some areas is about 15-25k, would you expect such a civil servant to use 50-70% of this wages on paying electricity bills?
Re: FG To End ₦30 Billion Monthly Electricity Subsidy Next Year — Osinbajo by obi58: 1:24pm On Jul 27, 2021
TheRareGem1:
The last administration made a very wrong move, such move is frustrating this Administration's effort in the energy sector, you don't sell energy to incompetence fellows just because they are your friends, those ones handled it the way they like, liquidated Skye Bank in the process and here we are, the FG is rectifying these problems.

Though electricity has improved compared to how it was in the last 16 years, the foresightedness of our leader to bringing solar especially for the people who are not connected to national grid is a good initiative. The caping regulation signed by Mr. P too is superb.

Prof. Osinbajo, who was represented by the Special Assistant to the President on Infrastructure, Engr. Ahmad Zakari, noted that government would be investing over $3 billion in the coming years to improve transmission and distribution infrastructure across the country.

... You don't come on social media to make unsubstantiated claims. Please prove that the previous administration sold the energy industry to incompetent fellows as you put. Further provide evidence to support your claim that this administration is making concrete steps to resolve these issues.

From where I stand, we still have a concrete problem of metering which after 6years has not been addressed. People are still constrained to pay ridiculously high estimated bills monthly.

We also have a significant transmission problem as the nation's transmission infrastructure is still far insufficient to handle the quantum of power generation efficiently.
Re: FG To End ₦30 Billion Monthly Electricity Subsidy Next Year — Osinbajo by Nobody: 1:25pm On Jul 27, 2021
obi58:

There is a reason why people bypass meters and continue to do so and the reason is that energy costs are quite high and unaffordable. If minimum wage which government has been unable to pay is N30k and average monthly energy costs in some areas is about 15-25k, would you expect such a civil servant to use 50-70% of this wages on paying electricity bills?

So, how else do we then pay for power?

1.Either we take a loan

2.Or we pray that oil goes up top 200 dollars a barrel.

Even you that is complaining of high costs....if you were running a business, would you like it if government told you to sell at a price less than your cost price 'to help the poor'.

If you were selling rice for example, and government told you to sell one 50kg bag of rice at N2000 and paid you a subsidy of N3000, for something you bought at N30000 or more wholesale, to help the poor Nigerians, would you agree?

We have been doing the above to the power sector. It is why they do sharp practices to stay in business, and why we still have darkness.

The same complaints you are making were made when GSM came for the first time. Government then did not listen. Porifts made helped us get better telecoms infrastructure than NITEL could ever provide, and prices came down too!
Re: FG To End ₦30 Billion Monthly Electricity Subsidy Next Year — Osinbajo by Stevosty: 1:28pm On Jul 27, 2021
Beancounter94:

Well, he is, in my opinion, also engaging in some flawed economic reasoning, yet I see no reason why I should insult him, and you as well. This isn't an abuse match for me, and I am getting too old to be engaging in abuse of everyone..

For the record, sharp practices happen in the power sector because power companies cannot charge cost reflective tarrifs due to government price controls.

Meaning they do sharp practices, or they fold up,. and people lose their jobs.

So, either let them make profits or the sharp practice would continue.

Do have a good day
So with subsidy, no electricity yet they don't make profits, with the removal of subsidy they will, who will suffer? The masses, definitely not the politicians and their cronies, amidst the pains the masses already have. Do we really have a functioning government?

1 Like

Re: FG To End ₦30 Billion Monthly Electricity Subsidy Next Year — Osinbajo by Nobody: 1:29pm On Jul 27, 2021
Beancounter94:

[s]Whereas if we keep subsidy...the power and petrol companies won't be able to make enough profit to make things better...plus no one would come and invest in things like power stations, and the refinereis.

The thing about business....if you don't make a profit...or are not sure of making a profit....you would end up not investing.

If you have Biafra or oodua....both nations would have to run without subsides, or they would be as indebted as Nigeria is. The more you spend on subsides, the more you strain your country's money to pay for the subsides as costs rise.

The GSM we have...there were no subsidies from the word go. People were buying sims at N10000 at the beginning. A v-mobile starter pack in 2002 cost N23000. My first ever SIM in 2004 cost N7000 (MTEL...and that was the cheapest then!) But thanks to no subsidies, the companies mande enough of a profit to build the GSM infrastructure that we have today...and that serves our internet and phones well well. And a SIM costs less than N1000 now.

The same can happen for our power and petrol sector. Yes, we go pay high. Yes things would be hard ...but with more investment and suchlike...prices will come down

We are not earning enough to pay the kind of subsides we had when people like Yaradua and GEJ were in power..and even back then subsides were creating a big dent in our economy to the point that GEJ wanted to get rid of them completely[/s]

Lol "Clowns Everywhere" What I've come to realize Is both "Shiiithole Government & Big Private Sectors" are working hand to hands. Anything to elevate the suffering of the gullible zombies and keep them In darkness Is a welcome development. It's a Win Win for both Institutions. I don't like typing much, I would have gone Into details...
Re: FG To End ₦30 Billion Monthly Electricity Subsidy Next Year — Osinbajo by Nobody: 1:31pm On Jul 27, 2021
Evolutionlove:

Lol "Clowns Everywhere" What I've come to realize Is both "Shiiithole Government & Private Sectors" are working hand to hands. Anything to elevate the suffering of the gullible zombies Is a welcome development. It's a Win Win for both Organizations....

Re: FG To End ₦30 Billion Monthly Electricity Subsidy Next Year — Osinbajo by obi58: 1:33pm On Jul 27, 2021
Beancounter94:

So, how else do we then pay for power?

1.Either we take a loan

2.Or we pray that oil goes up top 200 dollars a barrel.

Even you that is complaining of high costs....if you were running a business, would you like it if government told you to sell at a price less than your cost price 'to help the poor'.

If you were selling rice for example, and government told you to sell one 50kg bag of rice at N2000 and paid you a subsidy of N3000, for something you bought at N30000 or more wholesale, to help the poor Nigerians, would you agree?

We have been doing the above to the power sector. It is why they do sharp practices to stay in business, and why we still have darkness.

The same complaints you are making were made when GSM came for the first time. Government then did not listen. Porifts made helped us get better telecoms infrastructure than NITEL could ever provide, and prices came down too!

Valid points made...

However, a government cannot sit back and watch it's people dragged into penury in the name of making power sector profitable.

So yes government should intervene to provide special loan funding with long term repayment plans available to power sector practicioners for expedited building of their critical infrastructure to enable them provide Cheaper energy Now and not in the future. Even if it means getting a loan from China to revamp our power infrastructure, government should do this and repay these loans over time as people dump their generators and transfer all their energy spending towards 24/7 stable power supply provided.

Yes it is possible and can and should be done.
Re: FG To End ₦30 Billion Monthly Electricity Subsidy Next Year — Osinbajo by Nobody: 1:34pm On Jul 27, 2021
Stevosty:
So with subsidy, no electricity yet they don't make profits, with the removal of subsidy they will, who will suffer? The masses, definitely not the politicians and their cronies, amidst the pains the masses already have. Do we really have a functioning government?

Even with subsidy, we incur a lot of debts to pay for the subsidy.

Plus, if you want to stop corruption, you have to do the hard work of holding polticians to account. The US is not as bad as Nigeria corruption wise because over the years there were far too many people who were willing to do the hard work of keeping politicians accountable....and no it was not love of country that motivated all of them (some did it to show that their country the US was evil).

Nigerians just come, vote, and go home. Rinse and repeat four years later and so on. Activists like Sowore and SERAP...mostly get mocked.
Re: FG To End ₦30 Billion Monthly Electricity Subsidy Next Year — Osinbajo by Nobody: 1:37pm On Jul 27, 2021
Stevosty:

Thank you Jere. Not All those ones blowing grammar up and down and bringing up non-useful statistics. China Is a great example have proven a lot to the world despite their huge population. The good side of them outweighs the bad side....

1 Like

Re: FG To End ₦30 Billion Monthly Electricity Subsidy Next Year — Osinbajo by Nobody: 1:39pm On Jul 27, 2021
obi58:

Valid points made...

However, a government cannot sit back and watch it's people dragged into penury in the name of making power sector profitable.

So yes government should intervene to provide special loan funding with long term repayment plans available to power sector practicioners for expedited building of their critical infrastructure to enable them provide Cheaper energy Now and not in the future. Even if it means getting a loan from China to revamp our power infrastructure, government should do this and repay these loans over time as people dump their generators and transfer all their energy spending towards 24/7 stable power supply provided.

Yes it is possible and can and should be done.

Well, well well, and you guys would then criticize Buhari for taking more loans...and the people that replace him too, and the past governments....

Plus, we are already taking loans for the power sector...which go into paying half the subsidy costs.

And it is putting a strain on our economy. At some point, we have to stop. Or we charge high taxes on the informal sector, farmers, and fulani herdsmen per head of cattle.(And in minutes you would see IPOB, Miyetti Allah, Afenifere, OPC , SERAP and company at the front door of Aso Rock...united for once!)

At the end of the day, if we want growth in the power sector, profitability or more subsidies, more loans, and more debt.
Re: FG To End ₦30 Billion Monthly Electricity Subsidy Next Year — Osinbajo by Nobody: 1:41pm On Jul 27, 2021
Beancounter94:

Even with subsidy, we incur a lot of debts to pay for the subsidy.

Plus, if you want to stop corruption, you have to do the hard work of holding polticians to account. The US is not as bad as Nigeria corruption wise because over the years there were far too many people who were willing to do the hard work of keeping politicians accountable....and no it was not love of country that motivated all of them (some did it to show that their country the US was evil).

Nigerians just come, vote, and go home. Rinse and repeat four years later and so on. Activists like Sowore and SERAP...mostly get mocked.

Well you may be right here though. But I want you to take this to the bank. In as much as Nigeria remains one and under the shackles of the "Britain & Northerners" Nothing Is ever going to change for positivity. Nigeria will keep going round In circles. And mind you I'm a Core Yoruba Man from ILE-IFE, Just Incase you think this Is an IPOB.....
Re: FG To End ₦30 Billion Monthly Electricity Subsidy Next Year — Osinbajo by Nobody: 1:49pm On Jul 27, 2021
Evolutionlove:

Well you may be right here though. But I want you to take this to the bank. In as much as Nigeria remains one and under the shackles of the "Britain & Northerners" Nothing Is ever going to change for positivity. Nigeria will keep going round In circle.....

Our problem is the problem most sub-Saharan nations without Hausas and british people have.

We sell raw materials, and we use the money we make to import. When the price of the raw materials goes down below sustenance level, we then take loans to keep up.

Nigeria's problem is the same problem countries like Zambia have. Zambia relies on copper. Between 2006-11, copper was high (that was the time when people in developed countries were stealing copper from rail and electricity installations to sell for cash)..and Zambia economy went high. Then copper crashed...and Zambia went down

It is the same for Nigeria, and for most subsaharan countries...and even South Africa is going down that road fast.

I don't like what the Hausas have done overall...but at the same time, if Southerners were running this country...from the way Southern polticans talk about the economy..and yes that includes MNK and Igboho....they are of the same mindset as most Northerners...EVEN most Africans.

And no, I am not arguing for Buhari or for GEJ.
Re: FG To End ₦30 Billion Monthly Electricity Subsidy Next Year — Osinbajo by obi58: 1:53pm On Jul 27, 2021
Beancounter94:

Well, well well, and you guys would then criticize Buhari for taking more loans...and the people that replace him too, and the past governments....

Plus, we are already taking loans for the power sector...which go into paying half the subsidy costs.

And it is putting a strain on our economy. At some point, we have to stop. Or we charge high taxes on the informal sector, farmers, and fulani herdsmen per head of cattle.(And in minutes you would see IPOB, Miyetti Allah, Afenifere, OPC , SERAP and company at the front door of Aso Rock...united for once!)

At the end of the day, if we want growth in the power sector, profitability or more subsidies, more loans, and more debt.

Nobody would critcize the government if loans are borrowed to fund critical projects and these projects are completed in record time.

Nobody would fault government if they borrow 1million dollars from China to revamp our transmission infrastructure in 18months and this is completed and we all start experiencing stable power supply in 18months (especially critical for the industries)!!! People would happily pay for cheaper stable power than buy fuel daily to power their generators!

Nobody would fault government if a loan is taken to build a brand new refinery (1 or more refineries) in 12 months with the capacity to cater to our entire domestic fuel consumption needs and even export refined petrol and this is delivered in record time.

That is what is called Strategic Borrowing.

1 Like

Re: FG To End ₦30 Billion Monthly Electricity Subsidy Next Year — Osinbajo by Nobody: 2:07pm On Jul 27, 2021
SpecialAdviser:

GEJ too was a corrupt man with his group. Even as he meant well by removing subsidy, him and his group corruption wouldn't make the economy sound to stand the pressure which the subsidy removal will bring on the masses.

Buhari also a failure, a worse corrupt man who killed the economy with his incompetence wants to remove subsidy too.

Do you really understand my line of argument? We the masses should rise up to the stupidity of these regimes. Let them account for their looting and force them to fix the economy.

Imagine Rotimi Amaechi taking billions to build railway. How much does it cost in other countries? What about all the corruption in arms procurement? Do you really think Nigeria will stand what will come after the subsidy removal? Ok let them remove all and we see how you can stand the chaos that will come with it. May be that will be the real cracker that will help Nigerians fight together.

How can lawmakers be collecting all these allowances in a country with this kind of poverty? My brother once all these subsidies are remove, I will advise you be careful how you move because insecurities may not be curtailed
Gbam! You hit the nail on the head. Nigerians deserves the leaders they get.

2 Likes

Re: FG To End ₦30 Billion Monthly Electricity Subsidy Next Year — Osinbajo by primetyme: 2:23pm On Jul 27, 2021
”B“UCKING JOKERS. Bleep you all �
Re: FG To End ₦30 Billion Monthly Electricity Subsidy Next Year — Osinbajo by pawesome(m): 2:41pm On Jul 27, 2021
The problem isn't the removal of the so-called subsidy

You will remove the subsidy and it will still end up in your pockets then what's the use

You guys have removed subsidy from petroleum how many times now?

Where is the money going to?

Instead the subsidy was even higher than the one u guys claimed you remove

You think up north will be paying for electricity? Joke of the century

If u don't have meter before then,be ready to be paying for your bill plus another person's own because it will be more outrageous than ever
Re: FG To End ₦30 Billion Monthly Electricity Subsidy Next Year — Osinbajo by Jsaviour(f): 2:45pm On Jul 27, 2021
jumper524:
The corruption going on in this country, even the common man is part of it.
Until we totally scrap all this subsidies, Nigerians would forever remain lazy and never wake up to realities.
Imagine if fuel subsidy was scraped?
The $300million dollar we spend monthly would be used to develop other sector and maybe the electricity sector would have been more stable hence less consumption of fuel.
More billionaires would build private refineries without political cabals but the truth is that if they should dare venture, they'll be definitely run at a loss..

Will they use it to develop other sectors or loot it like they do now to buy private jets/dump dollars in foreign lands?
Re: FG To End ₦30 Billion Monthly Electricity Subsidy Next Year — Osinbajo by hybridblood07(m): 2:53pm On Jul 27, 2021
Thanks for your opinion
TheRareGem1:

Even when it was sold cheaper, many still couldn't afford the charges, so what are you talking about? The REA and NESP'S solar power Naija initiative and really helping out by installing solar in the rural areas especially those areas that are not connected to the national grid.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Tony Okocha: We Have Mobilized 50,000 Persons For Tinubu’s Rally In Rivers State / Atiku V Tinubu: More Election Officials Testify Against INEC / Sunday News Headlines After Anambra Election

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.